The Holy Spirit in The Book of Hebrews

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Yes, that was the whole point I was trying to make. In having 3 distinct kinds of consciousness, we have 3 distinct Persons of the one Deity.

The SUN : is 3.

Light
Heat
UV Rays

MAN : is 3

Soul
Spirit
Body

God is 3

Father, Creator

Christ the Pre-incarnate WORD, made Flesh named Jesus (Emmanuel = God with us) who is the "Bread of Life and the Living Bread come down from Heaven"

Holy Spirit

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and He intercedes for us with groans that cannot be uttered.
To me this is a significant reference, in that the Spirit intercedes for us. An intercessor is not for himself, but for another, making intercession between two. Who can be those two but for my Father and I? And He Who intercedes is not one of those, but is another.

Much love!

Reactions: charity

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
cont

In Chapter 9:14, we have testimony to the Holy Spirit as being “Eternal”, which means that He cannot be “created”, and is Almighty God, Who is Eternal.

“how much more will the blood of Christ, Who by means of the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?”

The words, “dia pneumatos aiōniou” (through the eternal Spirit), do not refer to “Christ’s spirit”, as some claim. There is not a single verse that says anything about Jesus offering His blood “through His human spirit”, nor does this make any sense.

Interesting, that here we have a variant reading, where there is textual evidence, that does not have “aiōniou”, but “hagiou”, “Holy”. Found in the 5th century Greek manuscript, the Codex Bezae. Also in a number of Greek manuscripts in the Byzantine text-type. Before this time, is was found in the quotes of the Greek Church Fathers, Athanasius (293-373); Didymus the Blind (313-398); John Chrysostom (died 407); Cyril of Alexandria (375-444); John of Damascus (675-749). In the Old Latin (2nd cent); Latin Vulgate (4th cent), Coptic (3rd-4th); Georgian (5th); Syriac (6th) [Dr Scholz, Novum Testamentum graece]. We could read here, “dia hagiou pneumatos aiōniou”, “through the eternal Holy Spirit”, as there is strong evidence for this.

The Conception of the Lord Jesus Christ, was by the Power of the Holy Spirit, Who caused the Virgin Mary to conceive the human nature of Jesus Christ in her womb, without any participation of a human father. This Operation by the Holy Spirit, also caused the derived human nature from Mary, to be without any sin.

“The birth of Jesus Christ came about this way: After His mother Mary had been engaged to Joseph, before they came together, she was found to be with child out of the Holy Spirit (ek pneumatos hagiou)” (Matthew 1:18)

“And the angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born out of you, will be called the Son of God” (Luke 1:35)

Again, at the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit was Active

1 Peter 3:18, “For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit (zōopoiētheis de pneumati)”

It is clear that The Holy Spirit is meant here, and not Jesus’ “human spirit”, which He actually “gave up” when He died on the cross, as in Luke 23:46, etc. This is clear from Romans 8:11;

“if now the Spirit (to pneuma) of the One having raised up Jesus out of the dead

It is very clear from what we read in the Book of Hebrews, that the Holy Spirit is a Person, and not just an impersonal power of God. It is also clear that the Holy Sprit is Himself Yahweh, the Eternal uncreated Almighty God of the Bible, Who is very much Active in the Old Testament.

Amen

Jesus used personal pronouns when referring to the Holy Spirit:

"But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged. "I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. "He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. "All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you. "(John 16:7-15).

The Holy Spirit below does things that only a person can do,

He leads (Matt. 4:1).
He is called God (Acts 5:3-4).
He helps and comforts (John 14:16, 16:7).
He convicts of sin (John 16:17).
He gives testimony of Jesus (John 15:26).
He teaches, guides and brings to remembrance (John 14:26, 16:13).
He speaks and instructs (Acts 8:29; 10:19; John 16:13).
He hears and speaks (John 16:13, Acts 28:25-27).
He can be lied to and tested (Acts 5:3-4,9).
He sends and gives life (Acts 13:4, John 3:6, Gen 1:3).
He is a witness (Acts 5:32)
He restrains (2 Thess. 2:7).
He prevents (Acts 16:6-7).
The Spirit "said" to Philip and Peter(Acts 8:29, 10:19).
Peter said he was "told" by the Spirit (Acts 11:12).
The Holy Spirit "solemnly testifies" (Acts 20:23).
He made some of the early Christians overseers to shepherd the Church. (Acts 20:28).
He wills (Acts 13:2).
He interprets our prayers (Rom. 8:26).
He knows and communicates (1 Cor. 2:11; Rom. 8:27).
He reveals (Eph. 3:5).
He has a will-He decides, chooses and distributes the Gifts to the church (1 Cor. 12:11).
He can be grieved (Eph. 4:30).

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do people believe in the greatness of the Father or not? Is God the Father not omnipresent and all-powerful by Himself...and not in need of a separate Holy Spirit to help Him in His deficiencies? God IS Spirit. He places His Spirit within those who are His.

And the "not by might nor by power" Is about human might and power..unless one thinks that God's Spirit is without power?

Paul preached the gospel in the power of the Spirit in God's active presence and not just in word.
The Father is not by Himself . He is Eternally One in Unity and purpose with the Son and Holy Spirit. Tri-Unity, Trinity . One Eternal God, 3 Persons. They share the exact same Divine Attributes as God.

hope this helps !!!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD,
searching all the inward parts of the belly.'

(Pro 20:27)

'Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities:
for we know not what we should pray for as we ought:
but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us
with groanings which cannot be uttered.
And He that searcheth the hearts
knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit,
because He maketh intercession for the saints
according to the will of God.'

(Rom 8:26-27)

Praise God!

Reactions: ByGraceThroughFaith

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Father is not by Himself . He is Eternally One in Unity and purpose with the Son and Holy Spirit. Tri-Unity, Trinity . One Eternal God, 3 Persons. They share the exact same Divine Attributes as God.

hope this helps !!!

I maintain that the GodHead is Father and Son...united by one holy Spirit. God is Spirit. There is no need for another Person to help the Spirit of God or the Spirit of Christ. The 7 Spirits of God are BEFORE the throne of God...not sitting on it. Do more research!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I maintain that the GodHead is Father and Son...united by one holy Spirit. God is Spirit. There is no need for another Person to help the Spirit of God or the Spirit of Christ. The 7 Spirits of God are BEFORE the throne of God...not sitting on it. Do more research!
Jesus taught the Holy Spirit is as Personal as He and the Father are.

Matt 28:18-20
Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 " Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

John 14:16-17
He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17 that is the Spirit of truth,

John 14:18
"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

John 14:23
We will come to him and make Our abode with him.

John 14:26
26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

John 15:26
26 "When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me

John 16:7-11
"But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go,I will send Him to you. "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; 11 and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.

John 16:13-14
13 "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. 14 "He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.

hope this helps !!!

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it is difficult to explain the 3 Persons of the 1 God, but it is biblical. I would define a Person of God as a particular *environmental consciousness* of divine personality.

If the environment of divine consciousness is "everywhere," then the Father is conscious of Himself as a transcendent Being. If the environment of divine consciousness is local, in a human being, then the Son is conscious of himself in the form of an immanent, created being. If the environment of divine consciousness is local and spiritual, not limited to the form of any created entity, then the Spirit is conscious of Himself in limited particular places.

You see, being infinite enables Deity to be conscious of Himself in both omnipresent and local places. Such is how an infinite Being works, not being limited to consciousness in exclusively transcendent or imminent states of being. Both are possible simultaneously for an infinite Being.
Trinitarians can't justify their absurdity by hiding behind such excuses like "it's hard to explain" when Paul said truly Christian doctrines are simple to explain(2 Cor. 11:3). If someone can't explain what is in the bible, it's because they either lack understanding of biblical matters, their belief isn't supported by the Bible, or they're taking a passage out of context.

When it comes to the trinity doctrine, the people who faithfully cling to it suffer from all of the above problems. That's why they have to resort to using philosophical or Gnostic drivel like the authors of the the Athanasian Creed did to give this belief a Christians coating.

If the trinity doctrine was indeed biblical as trinitarians mindlessly insist it is, no one would have to write up a whole creed that demands people believe in it if they wanted to be considered a Christian by the Catholic metric. The fact that the authors of this creed openly declared the trinity doctrine to be Catholic dogma tells anybody who truly desires to practice the truth that it isn't supported by the Bible.

There's too much biblical and secular proof that no prophet or apostle ever taught this doctrine for anyone to still believe in the trinity is biblical in a time where information has never been more accessible.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Trinitarians can't justify their absurdity by hiding behind such excuses like "it's hard to explain" when Paul said truly Christian doctrines are simple to explain(2 Cor. 11:3). If someone can't explain what is in the bible, it's because they either lack understanding of biblical matters, their belief isn't supported by the Bible, or they're taking a passage out of context.

When it comes to the trinity doctrine, the people who faithfully cling to it suffer from all of the above problems. That's why they have to resort to using philosophical or Gnostic drivel like the authors of the the Athanasian Creed did to give this belief a Christians coating.

If the trinity doctrine was indeed biblical as trinitarians mindlessly insist it is, no one would have to write up a whole creed that demands people believe in it if they wanted to be considered a Christian by the Catholic metric. The fact that the authors of this creed openly declared the trinity doctrine to be Catholic dogma tells anybody who truly desires to practice the truth that it isn't supported by the Bible.

There's too much biblical and secular proof that no prophet or apostle ever taught this doctrine for anyone to still believe in the trinity is biblical in a time where information has never been more accessible.

The Trinity is in both the Old and New Testaments. There are Three distinct Persons Who are equally called God, and there is only One God/Godhead. The ONLY way for us humans to understand this is by the Doctrine of the Trinity

There is not a single person who can prove otherwise.

I challenge anyone to try

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you're disinterested in Christianity and only wish to criticize it, why waste time here? Obviously, understanding the basics is easy, but reducing the arguments down to elements in order to dispel attacks is not so easy. Trinitarianism was accepted at face value without being called that from the beginning. What made it necessary to turn it into difficult language was the opposition from those who wished to claim it's absurd or contradictory.