The Holy Spirit Was Given...when?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
In [John 20], when Jesus had risen, He gave the Holy Spirit to those He breathed upon. But then, in [Acts 1] there appears to be a different version for they were told to "wait for the promise." Is this a contradiction or...is there more to the story?

I believe it is answered here....

Acts 1:2-3 Until the day in which He was taken up, after that He through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom He had chosen: To whom also He shewed Himself alive after His passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:

That shows that the Holy Spirit was already given to the apostles...it was given when He breathed on them.....

John 20:20-23 And when He had so said, He shewed unto them His hands and His side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the LORD. Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as My Father hath sent Me, even so send I you. And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.​

So, they had the Holy Spirit from that point and yet we read....​

Acts 1:4-5 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, "which," saith He, "ye have heard of Me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence."

That was after "He breathed on them," and they received His Spirit so I ask...is He addressing the apostles here or others?​

Acts 1:7-8 And He said unto them, "It is not for you to know the times or the season, which the Father hath put in His own power. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."

He was then "taken up" and received by "a cloud." Those He was speaking to "looked stedfastly toward heaven as He went up," and two men (angels) said....​

Acts 1:11 Which also said, "Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, Which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen Him go into heaven."

Those "men of Galilee" returned to Jerusalem from Olivet and "went up into an upper room." Who did they meet? "Where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James." [1:13] Many of the apostles, those to whom He had previously given the Holy Spirit, were already in that room. So, these "men of Galilee," which means men of the "circuit," weren't the eleven He breathed on when He was first glorified.

These men were not the apostles but were disciples of Christ, as are we. He was not only speaking to them but to us when He said.....​

1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."

Jesus "breathed" on His disciples to give them the Holy Spirit...as God breathed spiritual life into Adam, as God breathes His Spirit into us and we become...spiritually alive!​
Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
as Herald said, it was on the day of Pentecost which was a celebration held 50 days after the passover had ended.

I'd agree that the apostles had holy spirit before that time though, because they were performing miracles by that spirit....but i would say that they were not 'annointed' with holy spirit until it was poured out at Pentecost upon the 120 who were gathered in the upper room.