'The Letter Killeth' (2 Corinthians 3:6)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing to consider is there is a difference in having the faith OF Christ vs. faith IN Christ. If we have the faith OF Christ we can do the same things He did and also be as sinless, because He gives us His Own Spirit to dwell inside of us.
Yes, thanks, not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider this. I have Faith "in" his name, because OF his name, meaning in him. we can do all things for it is he who do the works. scripture, Acts 3:1 "Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour."Acts 3:2 "And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;"Acts 3:3 "Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms."

now the apostle Peter testimony as to what happen, or how this man was healed. Acts 3:13 "The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go."Acts 3:14 "But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;"Acts 3:15 "And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses."Acts 3:16 "And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all."

Faith "in" his name, why? the faith which is "by" him.

BY: G1223 διά dia (d̮iy-a') prep.
δι- di- (d̮iy-) [shortened prefix]
1. through.
2. throughout.
3. on account of (that thing).
4. (of time) after (i.e. through the fullness of or completion of).
5. (as a prefix) thorough, thoroughly.
{in very wide applications, local, causal, or occasional}
[a primary preposition denoting the channel of an act]
KJV: after, always, among, at, to avoid, because of (that), briefly, by, for (cause) ... fore, from, in, by occasion of, of, by reason of, for sake, that, thereby, therefore, X though, through(-out), to, wherefore, with (-in). In composition it retains the same general importance

so you're right, "in" and "of" him, he's the one.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament (covenant);
not of the letter, but of the spirit:
for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
.. But if the ministration of death,
.... written and engraven in stones,
was glorious,
so that the children of Israel could not steadfastly behold the face of Moses
for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?'

(2 Corinthians 3:6-8)

Hello there,

The words, ' ... the letter killeth ... ' are used very often to undermine and discredit the word of God: but when looked at within it's context, it so obviously applies to the law received and administered by Moses, and not to the written word of God.

The contrast being between 'the ministration of death' in the law, and 'the ministration' of life (or 'of the spirit') in the gospel: using the words, 'letter' and 'spirit' to represent law and gospel respectively.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Careful that you don't slip up and say something silly like God's law is now dead. It isn't.

Per Apostle Paul in Galatians 5, WE in Christ are 'dead' to the law IF... we walk by The Holy Spirit. That because if we heed The Holy Spirit as our guide, we won't be doing anything that is against God's laws. But follow the works of the flesh, and we bring ourselves back into bondage to God's laws. It's very simple, even as Paul explained in 1 Timothy 1 about the law, that the law is good, if used lawfully, for the law was not made for the righteous, but for the sinner and ungodly.

As for the old covenant requirements, THAT is actually what Lord Jesus nailed to His cross, i.e., the ordinances in God's law. The rest of God's laws against murder, thefts, adultery, perjury, etc., still stands.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the entire Old Testament (or, at least the first five books) are referred to as "the Law". So, by your interpretation, the first five books are the "letter" of the law? Not likely.

Correct. There's even end time prophecy contained in the Book of Genesis, so how could any Christian in their right mind say that's dead? The problem is with a lot of the Biblically illiterate Churches out there, and men's system doctrines taken over by Christ's enemies.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe the entire Old Testament (or, at least the first five books) are referred to as "the Law". So, by your interpretation, the first five books are the "letter" of the law? Not likely.

2 Corinthians 3:3-9 'the letter killeth'

Hello @MattMooradian

Within the context of the verse in question, what I said was perfectly right. However you are also perfectly right in saying that the entire Old Testament is referred to as 'the Law'.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: MattMooradian

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Careful that you don't slip up and say something silly like God's law is now dead. It isn't.

Per Apostle Paul in Galatians 5, WE in Christ are 'dead' to the law IF... we walk by The Holy Spirit. That because if we heed The Holy Spirit as our guide, we won't be doing anything that is against God's laws. But follow the works of the flesh, and we bring ourselves back into bondage to God's laws. It's very simple, even as Paul explained in 1 Timothy 1 about the law, that the law is good, if used lawfully, for the law was not made for the righteous, but for the sinner and ungodly.

As for the old covenant requirements, THAT is actually what Lord Jesus nailed to His cross, i.e., the ordinances in God's law. The rest of God's laws against murder, thefts, adultery, perjury, etc., still stands.
Hello @Davy,

My OP said all that I had to say upon the subject of the meaning of the words, 'the letter killeth': so I am unlikely to proceed to say anything, 'silly', as you say.

* As to the law, I, as a gentile, was never under it: so why should I now seek to be? When even Peter said in Acts 15:7-11:-

'And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them,
Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us,
that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as He did unto us;
And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples,
which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.'

* This was said in response to the Pharisees, in Acts 15:5-6, who desired to bring the gentiles under law:-

'But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying,
That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.'

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Christ