The Lord's Commandments, Pt. 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my thread, "The Lord's Commandments," I pointed out that the Lord's commandments are a gift meant to keep us out of trouble. I used the example that if we rob a bank, we'll go to prison, so the Lord commanded us not to steal.

Let me put it another way: If you were told that there were a million dollars on top of a hill, and the money was yours if you climbed the hill and took possession of the money, would you climb the hill or would you complain that you didn't want to climb the hill?

It's the same with the commandments: You can obey them and have peace, or you can find reasons not to.

Reactions: Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my thread, "The Lord's Commandments," I pointed out that the Lord's commandments are a gift meant to keep us out of trouble. I used the example that if we rob a bank, we'll go to prison, so the Lord commanded us not to steal.

Let me put it another way: If you were told that there were a million dollars on top of a hill, and the money was yours if you climbed the hill and took possession of the money, would you climb the hill or would you complain that you didn't want to climb the hill?

It's the same with the commandments: You can obey them and have peace, or you can find reasons not to.
Yes, even though we participate in our getting saved, by accepting the Savior, that does not mean we *earned* our Salvation! Salvation for us was bought exclusively at the Cross.

That does not mean we don't have to accept Christ as our Savior and to follow him as part of that decision. We are not "earning our Salvation" in doing this.

We are participating in a process in which we get saved after Christ has bought Salvation for us. He bought us the gift. Now he's commanded us to receive it. :)

Some people make a living out of creating confusion over "words." I would ignore them after making an honest effort at quoting the Scriptures on the subject. "Commandments" for the Christian are clearly in the Scriptures! See Semantics.

Reactions: Nancy

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, even though we participate in our getting saved, by accepting the Savior, that does not mean we *earned* our Salvation! Salvation for us was bought exclusively at the Cross.

That does not mean we don't have to accept Christ as our Savior and to follow him as part of that decision. We are not "earning our Salvation" in doing this.

We are participating in a process in which we get saved after Christ has bought Salvation for us. He bought us the gift. Now he's commanded us to receive it. :)

Some people make a living out of creating confusion over "words." I would ignore them after making an honest effort at quoting the Scriptures on the subject. "Commandments" for the Christian are clearly in the Scriptures! See Semantics.
It is one thing to be saved. It is something else to avoid the trouble that sin brings into our lives.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is one thing to be saved. It is something else to avoid the trouble that sin brings into our lives.
For sure! The big issue is our Salvation, and that's simply defined as a permanent covenant relationship with the Eternal One. We don't have to be perfect to be in a guaranteed relationship with Him.

But we do need to indicate we've made a true alliance with Him by living by the rules of that relationship. To be truly in a relationship with God we have to choose Him along with His commandments in order to be saved.

We don't have to perfectly follow His commandments in order to be in that relationship. But in choosing Him we choose His morality. Otherwise, we've chosen something other than Him, the Holy One.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For sure! The big issue is our Salvation, and that's simply defined as a permanent covenant relationship with the Eternal One. We don't have to be perfect to be in a guaranteed relationship with Him.

But we do need to indicate we've made a true alliance with Him by living by the rules of that relationship. To be truly in a relationship with God we have to choose Him along with His commandments in order to be saved.

We don't have to perfectly follow His commandments in order to be in that relationship. But in choosing Him we choose His morality. Otherwise, we've chosen something other than Him, the Holy One.
It's great to know we are saved. And yet, the Lord will discipline us if he needs to. It's for our own good.