The Lord's Commandments

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord's commandments are a gift to us to keep us out of trouble. For example, if we rob a bank, we go to prison. Therefore, the Lord commanded us not to steal. (Not everything God or Jesus said was a commandment - one needs to know what the commandments are.) Why are so many people wanting to disown the commandments?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord's commandments are a gift to us to keep us out of trouble. For example, if we rob a bank, we go to prison. Therefore, the Lord commanded us not to steal. (Not everything God or Jesus said was a commandment - one needs to know what the commandments are.) Why are so many people wanting to disown the commandments?
I find that many raised with the Protestant Theology of "saved by faith alone" tend to want to disregard anything that Man has to do. We are saved not by anything we do, they say.

Though I think they have it right that we can't save ourselves, that only Christ saved us, I think they become virtually "lawless" in their theology if they wish to discard human works apart from the matter of earning Salvation. Clearly, we are commanded to accept Christ as our Savior, and we are commanded to follow him as Lord and to obey his commandments.

Some of these people will not respond to any arguments contrary to their insistence that "only Christ can do good," and "only Christ can save us." I would not worry too much about them. See Antinomianism.

Reactions: Nancy

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find that many raised with the Protestant Theology of "saved by faith alone" tend to want to disregard anything that Man has to do. We are saved not by anything we do, they say.

Though I think they have it right that we can't save ourselves, that only Christ saved us, I think they become virtually "lawless" in their theology if they wish to discard human works apart from the matter of earning Salvation. Clearly, we are commanded to accept Christ as our Savior, and we are commanded to follow him as Lord and to obey his commandments.

Some of these people will not respond to any arguments contrary to their insistence that "only Christ can do good," and "only Christ can save us." I would not worry too much about them. See Antinomianism.
Jesus saves us, but we can avoid a lot of trouble if we don't sin.