The moment we die

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marta

Mar 29, 2011
The moment we die, what do you think happens to us?

If you have yet lost loved ones in life as I have, you might have pondered this many times, as I have.

Are we unconscious until the resurrection? Are we conscious but in a purgatory type place? Are we immediately reunited with family and loved ones? Or do we go to immediately meet the Lord Himself upon our deaths?

I know what Jesus said to the thief on the cross, but not sure if He meant that would apply for each one of us upon our deaths or that the thief's circumstances were different due to the major historical event occurring at the time.

So if anybody has any thoughts or opinions, I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 9:27
Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment

Most of the Body of Christ has already lived and died and is currently in Heaven. Those of us who are part of the Body and are still living on Earth are not cut off from the rest of the Body

Romans 8:38
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,[sup]39[/sup] neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
(2Co 5:8)

For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
(Php 1:23)

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
(1Th 4:16-17)

Marta

Mar 29, 2011
Thanks Aspen and Prism so much for your replies and the scriptures!

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
I don't get it. If I die now, where will I be? My body will be under the ground, but will my soul be in paradise (based on what Jesus told the thief)?

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't get it. If I die now, where will I be? My body will be under the ground, but will my soul be in paradise (based on what Jesus told the thief)?

That's how I see it and probably clothed in some type of temporal garb until we receive the redemption of our bodies. I find interesting that the three on the Mount of Transfiguration recognized Moses and Elijah speaking to the Lord about His soon crucifixion.

And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering. And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elias: Who appeared in glory, and spake of his decease which he should accomplish at Jerusalem.
(Luk 9:29-31)

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
1 For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands.2 We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing.3 For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies. 4 While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it’s not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us. Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life.5 God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit.6 So we are always confident, even though we know that as long as we live in these bodies we are not at home with the Lord.7 For we live by believing and not by seeing.8 Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord.9 So whether we are here in this body or away from this body, our goal is to please him.10 For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body.​
2 Cor 5:1-10 (NLT)

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Yes indeed, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. As for seeing family members, I believe that we will.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Yeah, probably we will.

However, what if we have family members in Hell? Won't we be sad for them in Heaven?

"The Lord shall wipe away the tears from every brow. Yet I have athiests in my family and I'm worried abou them and it would grieve me for them to burn in Hell."