The Nicene Creed is not Christian

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OzSpen said:
But in making this statement, you are using your own reasoning ability, which the Lord has given you. To refute your view of not need to reason about God, you provide rational arguments. I don't buy them, but you are still using reasoning. Try any discussion without the use of reason. I wish you luck!
Oh and, if I must, I can give a defense with apologetics and theology with the best of them..... After I got divorced I spent a lot of time in study so I have more than enough knowledge base for a good defense. So look at it this way, you are going to be asked to physically prove the existence of God or Christ at some point... Which you cant. Same as an atheist can not disprove God or Christ. So here is the other part of my "opinion". One way we can defend/ prove anything is to show them we have something they don't. Make them want to know what we have going on. Just throwing that out there...... :)

God Bless,

BA

zeke25

May 18, 2014
Western USA
Wormwood said:
I agree that Calvin was a flawed man and I do not agree with some of his teaching. I also think his actions in the death of his adversary are loathsome. However, David was also a murderer, as was Paul (at least an accomplice to murder). We shouldn't be so quick to throw away a person's life work because of a single act. The fact is, Joyful, we have teachers and that is a good thing. I think that is what people were trying to communicate to you earlier as you were making it sound as if we don't need any teachers at all. The Bible rejects this claim you made. Jesus was not arguing that we don't need teachers. He was saying that his followers should not seek after titles and power over others.
Wormwood,

Paul asked in 2 Corinthians: Don’t you have any, even the least of you, who can judge matters between brothers? Sadly, we don’t today. America has been ripped out from under you and you discuss petty things like Calvin in your blogs as if it is important. Our spiritual judgment is lacking a thousand times over our awareness of the world around us. It makes me sick.

You said, “We shouldn't be so quick to throw away a person's life work because of a single act.” If you’re comfortable with that I guess it works for you. It doesn’t work for me.

You might throw Moses into your list (David and Paul) and possibly others. But if we analyze them, we might find more info. David committed a selfish act and repented, nevertheless he paid dearly for it. Why did God allow this act to go forward? Let’s speculate, Uriah was a Hittite. The Hittites were one of the people in the land that were supposed to be utterly destroyed. Paul was the worst of all. But he repented, then he devoted the rest of his life to serving the LORD and propagating the gospel. These men are examples of the graciousness of our God. Where does John Calvin fit into this? He doesn’t at all. Set aside all of his evil deeds, his non-repentance, his unmitigated unchristlike pride, and what do you see? Look at his demeanor. He’s demonic. But if you’re comfortable with that or don’t agree then by all means, ignore this post.

What was David’s life work? He will have a son on the throne forever. What was Paul’s life work? A large percentage of the New Testament. What was John Calvin’s legacy? An antichrist theological system that has ensnared ten of thousands and more into a mindtrap, masters of Scripture twisting, and liars and deceivers to the max. They plot to takeover non-calvinist congregations by subterfuge, they open churches and say “ya’ll come” without identifying themselves, leaving a stench everywhere they have been just like a slug or snail on the ground.

But let me tell you what I really think and know…or, maybe not yet.

Where has this led to? Well, we can just look at two modern examples. And what will the response be? Why they will parade Jim Baker and Binney Hinn and all the other riffraff out of the closets as if they count for anything at all - because they don’t. As Joy said, when she referred to the Scripture - you will know them by their fruit. I don’t know these men or anyone like them. They are all on the same pathway.

Mark Driscoll, (calvinist) isn’t he the one who erected a tent on his church roof for he and his wife to fornicate in?

Rick Warren (calvinist) … oh, where does a person start and end … the purpose driven antichrist.

2 Peter 2King James Version (KJV)
2 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;
6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;
7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)
9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.
11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.
12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;
13 And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;
14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:
15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;
16 But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.
17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever.
18 For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.
19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.
20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Zeke25

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
In fact, Joyful, someone who was a murderer was a man after God's own heart.
David did not know Jesus' teachings. Your comparison is perverted, friend.

All Jesus' followers knew or ought to knew what Jesus teaches. But many of them disregarded His teachings willfully. RCC is the head of it and many protestants followed violent Christianity and they are still following violent faith by approving to kill their enemy.

this is for Wormwood too.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Joyful said:

All Jesus' followers knew or ought to knew what Jesus teaches. But many of them disregarded His teachings willfully. RCC is the head of it and many protestants followed violent Christianity and they are still following violent faith by approving to kill their enemy.

Joyful,

Back in #279 I wrote: 'I'm speaking of King David: 'And when he had removed him, he raised up David to be their king, of whom he testified and said, ‘I have found in David the son of Jesse a man after my heart, who will do all my will' (Acts 13:22 ESV).

It was in the NT that David was recognised as a man after God's heart.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joyful said:

Oz didn't say anything about David knowing Jesus. David was a man after God's won heart AND he was a murderer.
I would suggest your read Acts 19:1-7 to see that all Jesus' followers did NOT know what to do or KNEW everything Jesus taught, because those disciples did NOT have the Holy Spirit until Paul told them and laid hand on them. The RCC is the RCC, it is NOT the head of anything but itself. Jesus is the head of the Body of Christ, which is His church and the RCC is only a part of that. Eph 5:23 (NIV)

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THis has become quite removed from the OP. I suggest we get back to talking about the Creed and baptism or just close the thread. Debating the salvation of past theologians is fruitless and not the point of this discussion.

Reactions: Born_Again

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
THis has become quite removed from the OP. I suggest we get back to talking about the Creed and baptism or just close the thread. Debating the salvation of past theologians is fruitless and not the point of this discussion.
It derailed because someone was talking about Calvinism.

That's why I said we should focus on Jesus' word, not anyone else.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
Joyful,

Back in #279 I wrote: 'I'm speaking of King David: 'And when he had removed him, he raised up David to be their king, of whom he testified and said, ‘I have found in David the son of Jesse a man after my heart, who will do all my will' (Acts 13:22 ESV).

It was in the NT that David was recognised as a man after God's heart.
Jesus did not call David man after God's heart. He sure had OT standards but Jesus' standards are much higher than David's.

Jesus' followers ought to follow Jesus' standards, not OT's.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
Oz didn't say anything about David knowing Jesus. David was a man after God's won heart AND he was a murderer.
I would suggest your read Acts 19:1-7 to see that all Jesus' followers did NOT know what to do or KNEW everything Jesus taught, because those disciples did NOT have the Holy Spirit until Paul told them and laid hand on them. The RCC is the RCC, it is NOT the head of anything but itself. Jesus is the head of the Body of Christ, which is His church and the RCC is only a part of that. Eph 5:23 (NIV)
I don't have to read the acts to know what Jesus teaches, even though I read the rest of the Bible over and over.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Joyful said:
Jesus did not call David man after God's heart. He sure had OT standards but Jesus' standards are much higher than David's.

However, the NT does call David a man after God's own heart. Remember that 'all Scripture' is breathed out by God (2 Tim 3:16 ESV) and that goes way beyond the words of Jesus. Seems as though you have placed your own limitation on the authority of Scripture.

I will not be going over and over this with you as you obviously do not want to receive the entire teaching of OT and NT when you elevate the words of Jesus. Scripture does not make Jesus' words any more important than other words in Scripture.

Oz

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OzSpen said:
Oz

Scripture does not make Jesus' words any more important than other words in Scripture.
That isn't true. Paul writes one place where he speaks his own opinion not by what God has said, David also spoke for himself many times in the Psalms, and of course Job said many things that were of himself and quite incorrect. Jesus however spoke for God and he was God, so his words do trump the words of others save when they speak directly for God but when they speak for themselves their words can be flawed.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ewq1938 said:
That isn't true. Paul writes one place where he speaks his own opinion not by what God has said, David also spoke for himself many times in the Psalms, and of course Job said many things that were of himself and quite incorrect. Jesus however spoke for God and he was God, so his words do trump the words of others save when they speak directly for God but when they speak for themselves their words can be flawed.
I do wish you would defend your position with specific evidence. 'Paul writes one place ... his own opinion' and 'David also spoke for himself many times in the Psalms' presents no defense.

The people who speak like your perspective in my country are from the Church of Christ. Is that your denominational affiliation?

The verse that refutes your position is 2 Time 3:16 (ESV), 'All Scripture is breathed out by God'. It doesn't say, 'All Scripture excepts that by Paul when he writes 'his own opinion' and David who presents many times in the Psalms with no defense.

The biblical perspective is 'ALL SCRIPTURE IS BREATHED OUT BY GOD' and none of your suggested changes will manipulate that. ALL SCRIPTURE means exactly that - all Scripture is breathed out by God.

Oz

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The biblical perspective is 'ALL SCRIPTURE IS BREATHED OUT BY GOD' and none of your suggested changes will manipulate that. ALL SCRIPTURE means exactly that - all Scripture is breathed out by God.
We all know where this is headed, tell me which of the 40 different bibles is Gods word, God doesnt change does he??

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
I will not be going over and over this with you as you obviously do not want to receive the entire teaching of OT and NT when you elevate the words of Jesus. Scripture does not make Jesus' words any more important than other words in Scripture.

Oz
All Scripture is there for us to discern what is right or wrong. It is not there to copy everything what it says. That's why we better take heed of what Jesus says.

Jesus is the Lord and Teacher for all His followers.

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
mjrhealth said:
...Why do Christians Have to reason, do they not have Christ for if they Had Christ they would have the truth for Jesus is the truth in Him there is no lie. Are you going to reason with Christ, I dont. He is right I am wrong.
You can't make declarations like "God is truth" without some reasoning process going on in your brain.

The Bible does not teach "blind faith"... obedience without thinking... He did not give us a reasoning brain by mistake. Faith relies on evidence, knowledge, and reasoning - we cannot please God without it.

Romans 1:19-20 says it is reasoning that brings evidence of His existence.

Matthew 22:37 says we have to love God with our MINDS, which requires a process of reasoning. We can't even worship God without the process of reasoning. 1 Corinthians 14:15

1 Peter 3:15, Acts 17:2 and 2 Timothy 4 make it clear that we can't spread the Gospel and lead others to salvation without the process of reasoning.

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
Joyful said:

You're right... God the FATHER called David a man after His own heart... 1 Samuel 13:14 Yes, Yahweh Himself...

And Jesus' "standards" are identical to the Father's...

David was a murderous lying adulterer. Peter was a hot-tempered liar. Saul of Tarsus was a mass murderer. Jacob was a fraudulent thief. Samson was a fornicator.

The "standard" here is that ALL have sinned, and ALL require mercy and grace to be saved. ALL of us made it necessary for Christ to die.

God has always used sinful people to carry out His work.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
You're right... God the FATHER called David a man after His own heart... 1 Samuel 13:14 Yes, Yahweh Himself...

And Jesus' "standards" are identical to the Father's...

David was a murderous lying adulterer. Peter was a hot-tempered liar. Saul of Tarsus was a mass murderer. Jacob was a fraudulent thief. Samson was a fornicator.

The "standard" here is that ALL have sinned, and ALL require mercy and grace to be saved. ALL of us made it necessary for Christ to die.

God has always used sinful people to carry out His work.
Your reasoning don't make sense at all, friend.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OzSpen said:
I do wish you would defend your position with specific evidence. 'Paul writes one place ... his own opinion' and 'David also spoke for himself many times in the Psalms' presents no defense.
Anyone familiar with the bible should already know what I refer to. I'll cite the one by Paul:

1Co 7:6 But this I say as my opinion, and not as an order of the Lord.
1Co 7:7 It is my desire that all men might be even as I am. But every man has the power of his special way of life given him by God, one in this way and one in that.

This is fine for him to speak but as it is not commanded by God, it is not on the same level as when God does command things to be said.

The people who speak like your perspective in my country are from the Church of Christ. Is that your denominational affiliation?

No, and I don't "speak in a certain way".

The verse that refutes your position is 2 Time 3:16 (ESV), 'All Scripture is breathed out by God'. It doesn't say, 'All Scripture excepts that by Paul when he writes 'his own opinion' and David who presents many times in the Psalms with no defense.
The only scripture at the time was the OT and that's what the writer is referencing. Second, anything not inspired by God to be spoken is therefore not scripture.

Clarke:

2 Timothy 3:16

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God - This sentence is not well translated; the original πασα γραφη θεοκνευστος ωφιλιμος προς διδασκαλιαν, κ. τ. λ. should be rendered: Every writing Divinely inspired is profitable for doctrine, etc. The particle και, and, is omitted by almost all the versions and many of the fathers, and certainly does not agree well with the text. The apostle is here, beyond all controversy, speaking of the writings of the Old Testament, which, because they came by Divine inspiration, he terms the Holy Scriptures, 2Ti_3:15; and it is of them alone that this passage is to be understood; and although all the New Testament came by as direct an inspiration as the Old, yet, as it was not collected at that time, not indeed complete, the apostle could have no reference to it.

The biblical perspective is 'ALL SCRIPTURE IS BREATHED OUT BY GOD' and none of your suggested changes will manipulate that.

I haven't suggested any changes. I suggest to properly recognize what is commanded by God and that which was not.

ALL SCRIPTURE means exactly that - all Scripture is breathed out by God.
So you must also then believe everything written in scripture is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.