The Offense of the Cross

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I gotta say, if sanctification is happening within me, it (at least in my case) is on one grand and intricately slow scale - probably due to coming to Christ at the age of 41 after a very sinful lifestyle up to that point, and having been raised in a particularly unbelieving family, followed by working with unbelieving, even openly mocking co-workers.

It seems so Alien a concept (faith in God, and in this message of Hope), SO Alien that I'm always shifting back into doubt about the veracity of it.

So it's very encouraging to hear echoes of the same general thing happening to others on this journey, and I thank you all for your replies... Gives me much to think about.

I just don't know why, after 27 years, it still seems so unreal much of the time, unless, as I said, I'm unusually thick-headed because of my past, or I'm being so dishonest with myself that I'm blind to my own disingenuousness, and I pray that's not the case, as that would be horrible.

How do you trust God, if you can't trust yourself to truly trust Him???

This is not some unusual trial, brother. It’s the testing of and growing of, your trust (faith.) It’s a trial. It’s a struggle. But if you keep trusting even though it seems like God is slow, He will eventually strengthen, confirm and establish you.

Here is the verse: In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation.

I can attest that this is true.

Reactions: Azim

Fuddy

May 6, 2022
Blueridge Mts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, as always seems to be the case , it all narrows down to trusting God and waiting for His power to move us forward. Standing on His promise to provide the strength and direction we (I) do not inherently have.

Sure has been a long wait so far, but He's God, He knows what He's doing and how and when to do it. And he never fails. He NEVER fails.

So I hang in there.

Fuddy

May 6, 2022
Blueridge Mts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And to do that successfully, I have to accept the pain of His offense, and take the same stripes he took.
Access to the Kingdom has a price.

Then why is salvation presented so abundantly elsewhere in scripture as a free gift?

God is not the author of confusion, so why is this still confusing to me and SO many others?

Fuddy

May 6, 2022
Blueridge Mts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you stunnedbygrace, you must've posted a second before I did. What you posted has touched something in me, I believe through you from Him. Seriously.

I will meditate on that tonight while waiting for sleep, listening to the crickets and tree frogs in the hayfield outside my bedroom window (a great way to do that).

Thank you.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And to do that successfully, I have to accept the pain of His offense, and take the same stripes he took.

Then why is salvation presented so abundantly elsewhere in scripture as a free gift?

God is not the author of confusion, so why is this still confusing to me and SO many others?

It’s confusing to you because some verses deal with righteousness and others deal with holiness.
You have to know which.
God makes a place for the righteous, who are led by the Spirit.
He also makes a place for those who walk in the Spirit, in His holiness.

A friend of mine explains it this way. The man who was told to go to a street called Straight argued with God. Why was he not struck dead for doing so while Annais and Saphira WERE struck dead?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Motive?
Okay, so in the OT, did Uzzah have a bad heart motive by reaching out his hand to keep the ark from falling? It doesn’t appear so to me. Yet he was struck dead.

There is a difference between righteousness and Gods holiness. A righteous man can stumble seven times and get back up. But if you mishandle holiness, it’s a different matter.

So it’s very, very good for us that God not take us into it until and unless we are prepared for it. It’s better to be a living dog than a dead dog.

Last edited:

Fuddy

May 6, 2022
Blueridge Mts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Serious, serious business. Be still, and know that I am God.

OK, more to consider. Give the process over to Him and be patient. Wait. And trust the Counselor will lead at His pace.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Serious, serious business. Be still, and know that I am God.

OK, more to consider. Give the process over to Him and be patient. Wait. And trust the Counselor will lead at His pace.

very good! That is trust. It’s your only job. It’s a race of trust. Run to win.
When you find yourself in worries, return quickly to just plain old trust. It’s the way to everything you desire. Practice trust (faith).
And when you see what you lack, ask for it, wait patiently.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Precious friend, this also may be helpful:

Index "Now That I Believe":

(1) Introduction

(2) What Did I Believe
(3) What Happened When I Believed
(4) Why Should I Serve The LORD
(5a) How Should I Serve The LORD (5b)
(6a) How Should I Deal With sin (6b)
(7) How Should I Deal With Adversity
(8) What Is my Future / Conclusion