The Problems of Perpetual Belief Alone Salvation-ism.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OP is a funny way of saying "believers endure to the end".

If you're saying this can be done in good ways and in bad, you make a fair point - if not, what are you trying to say?
Most Christians believe that they are saved by having a belief alone in Jesus as their Savior in believing in the finished work of the cross or in believing only 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. They don’t believe Sanctification is dealing with salvation in regards to entering the Kingdom of God. Yet, 2 Thessalonians 2:13 says God has chosen you to salvation through Sanctification of the Spirit and a belief of the truth. There are two aspects of salvation we need to be concerned with in this life.

#1. Being saved by God’s grace in our Initial Salvation (which is a process of salvation without works).
#2. Being saved in the Sanctification Process and ending in a righteous state before one dies or is Raptured.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Most Christians believe that they are saved by having a belief alone in Jesus as their Savior in believing in the finished work of the cross or in believing only 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. They don’t believe Sanctification is dealing with salvation in regards to entering the Kingdom of God. Yet, 2 Thessalonians 2:13 says God has chosen you to salvation through Sanctification of the Spirit and a belief of the truth. There are two aspects of salvation we need to be concerned with in this life.

#1. Being saved by God’s grace in our Initial Salvation (which is a process of salvation without works).
#2. Being saved in the Sanctification Process and ending in a righteous state before one dies or is Raptured.

#1 I would say ask God for an answer to your faith, that He approves of.

#2 I would say start to assume that you are going to live the good life (three score years and ten - 70 years) and plan your testimony around that.

Meeting faith with faith, on its own, is never going to encourage a lot of strength, it may sharpen you, yes, but even a sharp sword needs strength to be wielded properly (there's a funny anecdote about wielding a sword connected with Arnold Schwarzenegger, apparently he was so muscular he had to stop training during the shooting of the film "Barbarian", because his muscles were stopping him from wielding his sword properly).

By patience possess your souls, If you have belief because of something Jesus has said, learn to meditate on it. This should be your practice for life.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#1 I would say ask God for an answer to your faith, that He approves of.
While it is good we pray and ask God in regards to help with our faith, the Scriptures themselves provide the answer to the kind of faith God wants us to attain to and approve of. There is no trying to figure out the faith. The Bible is the faith. For faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).

#2 I would say start to assume that you are going to live the good life (three score years and ten - 70 years) and plan your testimony around that.
I am not a new believer. I accepted Christ in 1992, and I have studied the Bible for a long time. However, my concern is not myself and pointing others to myself (like with a testimony). I am nothing, and Christ is everything. I would rather point to God’s Word and Jesus Christ. The focus is not me, but Christ. Granted, I know that Christians can be a testimony (As it is testified in Scripture). But I don’t think they look to wanting to be in the spotlight or focus on how others should see them.

As for your statement about the good life:

Well,, the Scriptures say all who live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. So while it is an honor to share in the sufferings for Christ, the good life would actually be with Christ in His Kingdom and not here.

Meeting faith with faith,
What do you mean by this statement?
Do you have a Bible verse in mind with this saying?

on its own, is never going to encourage a lot of strength, it may sharpen you, yes, but even a sharp sword needs strength to be wielded properly (there's a funny anecdote about wielding a sword connected with Arnold Schwarzenegger, apparently he was so muscular he had to stop training during the shooting of the film "Barbarian", because his muscles were stopping him from wielding his sword properly).

By patience possess your souls, If you have belief because of something Jesus has said, learn to meditate on it. This should be your practice for life.
Why would you assume I don’t meditate on God’s Word?

Is this because you don’t agree that there are two aspects of salvation we need to be concerned with?
Granted, there are four aspects of salvation, but two of them is our focus in life.

Many today just focus on Jesus, but they do not realize there is a symbiotic relationship between the Living Word and the Communicated Word.

I say this because not only do we need to receive Jesus, but we also must receive His words, too (unlike many Christians today). For the person who does not receive Christ’s words, those words will judge them on the last day. What words are Christians not receiving today? Oh, His words like in Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 9:62, Luke 10:25-28.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gottservant

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A door and a gate are not really that different. They both are talking about gaining access or entrance in. Yes, we are to enter into Christ and this is by His grace, but it also includes following Jesus, too. If you were to look at the parallel passage for Luke 13:24 in Matthew 7:13, and you were to continue to keep reading, Jesus says, “Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.” (Matthew 7:19). Jesus also said in Matthew 7, “And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.” (Matthew 7:26-27). Ephesians 2:10 says, “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them”

As for Jesus being a door as mentioned in John 10:9 or Him being the door of the sheep (John 10:7):

Well, Jesus said in John 10:4 that His sheep follow Him. Meaning, they obey Jesus.
Jesus is the WAY, the truth, and the life (John 14:6).
But Jesus also says, “He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings” (John 14:24).
Paul says, “If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed.” (1 Corinthians 16:22) (NKJV).

Strive to enter the straight gate in Luke 13:24 means what it says.

“Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.” (Luke 13:24).

It says many will seek to enter in and will not be able.

Those who were not able to enter said, “Lord, Lord, open unto us;” signifying they were believes in Jesus.
Jesus says depart from me ye workers of iniquity.
Meaning, they justified sin on some level. They were on the wide gate path in doing wrong and evil.

Think. Most Christians today believe they can sin and still be saved on some level. It’s only those FEW Christians today who are striving to enter the narrow way by following Jesus.

Believing in Jesus is more than just believing in the person of Jesus Christ for salvation but it is also believing everything He told us to do, too. So if we are not obeying Jesus, we are not really believing or trusting in Him.
The work of God is His drawing that person to Jesus so as to believe (John 6:44).

Again, to believe in Jesus is to believe in everything He told us to do. If we are not obeying Jesus, we do not really believe Him or trust in Him. Disobedience to Jesus is what would make a person a worker of iniquity.

Right. Paul is not referring to condemning all Law or works. Acts 13:39 says we cannot be justified by the Law of Moses (Which Is the Old Law and not the Laws of Christ).

This is in context to Initial Salvation. Nowhere is Paul and Silas saying that the jailor can disobey Jesus and still be saved. Again, that would be unbelief.

This is in reference to our Initial Salvation in being saved by God’s grace (Which is a process of salvation without works).

This is in reference to man directed works and not the works of God (Which is a call according to His purpose and grace - See: Titus 2:11-12, 1 Corinthians 15:10).

This would be righteousness of the 613 Laws of Moses which no longer apply as a whole or package deal. Yes, certain laws in the Old law have been repeated in the Laws of Christ, but we are not under the Old Law as a whole.

The unprofitable servant was cast into outer darkness (Matthew 25).
John the baptist said the axe is laid to the root of the tree and to bring forth fruits worthy repentance (Matthew 3).
The Lord did not find a particular church’s works perfect before God in Revelation 3. The Lord said they had a name that was alive and yet they were dead. Faith without works is dead.

But don’t you believe you can commit sin (iniquity), and still be saved? Are you unaware that be unprofitable (fruitless) is a sin and can lead to outer darkness?
Another long winded post promoting type 2 works salvation and sinless perfection. Typical. Of course a door and a gate are really not that different. In regards to the words of Jesus in Matthew 7:19, a good tree represent a believer and a bad tree represents an unbeliever. All genuine believers are fruitful, yet not all are equally fruitful. (Matthew 13:23) Those who produce no good fruit at all demonstrate they are not a good tree (believer). In Matthew 7:24-27, we find two different foundations with two different results, and not salvation by works, as you suppose. Each house has a different material upon which its foundation is laid, and each house has a different final outcome. One house is built by a wise man upon a rock and it stands. The other is built by a foolish man upon the sand and it collapses.

Those deceived by their own self-righteousness in Matthew 7:22-23 were "outwardly" doing all the things that the righteous would do yet they did not truly know Christ (had no personal relationship with Christ - John 17:3) which stemmed from not truly believing in Him. The rock the wise man builds upon is true righteousness found in Jesus Christ alone. The sand the foolish man builds upon is self-righteousness. *Only those who truly believe in Him are wise and hear the words of Jesus and properly act on them. *The foolish man twists the words of Jesus and acts on their own self-righteous works system and calls that acting on the words of Jesus.

Ephesians 2:8-10 makes it clear that we are saved FOR good works and NOT BY good works. Genuine believers do not walk in good works in order to become or remain saved but BECAUSE they are saved.

Jesus' sheep do follow Him. In John 10:27, Jesus said - My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. (descriptive of genuine believers) 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. Seeking salvation by works does not equate to believing in Jesus unto salvation or following Him. (Matthew 7:21-23)

In regards to John 14:24 and 1 Corinthians 16:22 and love for Jesus, genuine believers love Him because He first loved us. (1 John 4:19) The love of God has been poured out in the hearts of believers by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Romans 5:5) 1 John 4:7 - Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. (descriptive of genuine believers) 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. (descriptive of unbelievers which includes make believers)

In regards to Luke 13:25 and Matthew 7:22, saying 'Lord, Lord,' does not mean that these people were genuine believers who believed in Jesus unto salvation. Now sure they may have believed "mental assent" in the existence of Jesus and in historical facts about Jesus but that does not mean they believed in Him as the ALL-SUFFICIENT means of their salvation. Jesus clearly stated to these people that He did not know them and that He never knew them, which means they were not saved. It's not hard to find "nominal/pseudo" Christians/make believers who claim to be genuine Christians/genuine believers. The tares out number the wheat by far.

Workers of iniquity is of not descriptive of genuine believers who justify sin, but make believers whose sin remains. Without faith it's impossible to please God no matter how many alleged wonderful works that these many people set out to conjure up through the flesh in a vain effort to obtain salvation based on works. This is why Jesus referred to these many people as "workers of iniquity." God does not see the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus (Romans 4:5-6; Philippians 3:9) in unbelievers, but He see's all of their sins which remain and have not been washed away by the blood of Christ. Hence, workers of iniquity/those who practice lawlessness.

CONTINUED..

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So according to you, believing in Jesus unto salvation IS DOING EVERYTHING that Jesus has said and commanded? Have you flawlessly obeyed Jesus your entire life? It's a rhetorical question. Your statement is a typical response from works-salvationists, including LoveGodsWord from Christian Forums who also teaches that the gospel is EVERY word that comes from the mouth of God. Type 2 works salvation/works righteousness and sinless perfection is not the narrow way. (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9; 1 John 1:8-10) External obedience apart from authentic faith in Christ is not obedience. (Matthew 7:22-23) Although obedience is a manifestation of belief and disobedience is a manifestation of unbelief, faith is still faith (belief, trust, reliance) and obedience which follows is works.

Your argument about the law of Moses vs. the laws of Christ is the same bogus argument that Roman Catholics use in a vain effort to teach that we are saved by "these" works and just not "those" works. Initial and ultimate salvation is by grace through faith and not by works. (Ephesians 2:8,9; 1 Peter 1:9)

In regards to the parable of the unprofitable servant, the first two servants deposited their talents with the bankers (verse 27) but the third servant buried his talent in the ground (Matthew 25:25). The third servant had been given a talent according to his ability and the opportunity to believe and bear fruit in accordance, but chose to reject it. The unprofitable servant was also referred to as "wicked" and "lazy" (Matthew 25:26-30) and he was "cast out into outer darkness," which certainly indicates that he was not a true disciple of the master. The idea of this illustrative parable is that all true believers will produce fruit in varying degress.

All genuine believers are fruitful, but not all are equally fruitful (Matthew 13:23). Those who produce no results at all were not truly converted. Two of these servants were children of God, but not the third. Children of God are not cast out into outer darkness. The fact that this man is called a "servant" does not necessarily mean that he was saved.

The children of Israel were called "servants" but they were not all saved. Leviticus 25:55 - For the children of Israel are servants to Me; they are My servants whom I brought out of the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God. Isaiah 43:10 - “You are My witnesses,” says the Lord, And My servant whom I have chosen.. Nehemiah 1:6 - please let Your ear be attentive and Your eyes open, that You may hear the prayer of Your servant which I pray before You now, day and night, for the children of Israel Your servants, and confess the sins of the children of Israel which we have sinned against You. Both my father’s house and I have sinned. No surprise and Jesus said that He was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. (Matthew 15:24)

When John the Baptist said "bring forth fruits worthy of repentance in Matthew 3:8, he was addressing the Pharisees and Sadducees and called them brood of vipers! Self righteousness/works salvation is not the fruit of repentance that John was referring to.

In regards to the lifeless state of the church at Sardis in Revelation 3 - "..you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead." This church may have had a name of being alive, but they were spiritually lifeless. In other words, the church was filled with unsaved people going through the motions of religion who needed to wake up and repent IN CONTRAST with a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments; and they will walk with Jesus in white.

White garments are mentioned elsewhere in Revelation. The church at Laodicea mentions white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed. (Revelation 3:18). The 24 elders wear white garments (Revelation 4:4). The martyrs waiting for God’s judgment are given white robes to wear (Revelation 6:11). The armies appearing with the Messiah also wear white and clean linen (Revelation 19:14). The great multitude of the saved in Revelation 7:14 wear robes made white in the red blood of the Lamb. The color paradox makes the point and implies that the color white stands for God’s people made spiritually pure and justified by Jesus’ blood. That means the few in Sardis who were given white robes had been made right and just before God.

Faith without works (faith that remains barren of works) is dead, yet we are still saved through faith and not by works. (Romans 4:2-6)

According to you, anything short of sinless perfection = working iniquity/practicing lawlessness. You remain in error.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another long winded post promoting type 2 works salvation and sinless perfection. Typical. Of course a door and a gate are really not that different. In regards to the words of Jesus in Matthew 7:19, a good tree represent a believer and a bad tree represents an unbeliever. All genuine believers are fruitful, yet not all are equally fruitful. (Matthew 13:23) Those who produce no good fruit at all demonstrate they are not a good tree (believer). In Matthew 7:24-27, we find two different foundations with two different results, and not salvation by works, as you suppose. Each house has a different material upon which its foundation is laid, and each house has a different final outcome. One house is built by a wise man upon a rock and it stands. The other is built by a foolish man upon the sand and it collapses.

Those deceived by their own self-righteousness in Matthew 7:22-23 were "outwardly" doing all the things that the righteous would do yet they did not truly know Christ (had no personal relationship with Christ - John 17:3) which stemmed from not truly believing in Him. The rock the wise man builds upon is true righteousness found in Jesus Christ alone. The sand the foolish man builds upon is self-righteousness. *Only those who truly believe in Him are wise and hear the words of Jesus and properly act on them. *The foolish man twists the words of Jesus and acts on their own self-righteous works system and calls that acting on the words of Jesus.

Ephesians 2:8-10 makes it clear that we are saved FOR good works and NOT BY good works. Genuine believers do not walk in good works in order to become or remain saved but BECAUSE they are saved.

Jesus' sheep do follow Him. In John 10:27, Jesus said - My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. (descriptive of genuine believers) 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. Seeking salvation by works does not equate to believing in Jesus unto salvation or following Him. (Matthew 7:21-23)

In regards to John 14:24 and 1 Corinthians 16:22 and love for Jesus, genuine believers love Him because He first loved us. (1 John 4:19) The love of God has been poured out in the hearts of believers by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Romans 5:5) 1 John 4:7 - Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. (descriptive of genuine believers) 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. (descriptive of unbelievers which includes make believers)

In regards to Luke 13:25 and Matthew 7:22, saying 'Lord, Lord,' does not mean that these people were genuine believers who believed in Jesus unto salvation. Now sure they may have believed "mental assent" in the existence of Jesus and in historical facts about Jesus but that does not mean they believed in Him as the ALL-SUFFICIENT means of their salvation. Jesus clearly stated to these people that He did not know them and that He never knew them, which means they were not saved. It's not hard to find "nominal/pseudo" Christians/make believers who claim to be genuine Christians/genuine believers. The tares out number the wheat by far.

Workers of iniquity is of not descriptive of genuine believers who justify sin, but make believers whose sin remains. Without faith it's impossible to please God no matter how many alleged wonderful works that these many people set out to conjure up through the flesh in a vain effort to obtain salvation based on works. This is why Jesus referred to these many people as "workers of iniquity." God does not see the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus (Romans 4:5-6; Philippians 3:9) in unbelievers, but He see's all of their sins which remain and have not been washed away by the blood of Christ. Hence, workers of iniquity/those who practice lawlessness.

CONTINUED..
Don’t have a lot of time, but Ephesians 2:9 is not referring to the same kind of works in Ephesians 2:10. Ephesians 2:9 are the kind of works a person would boast in doing (Which would be man directed works). Good works a believer does are the works of God moving through a believer and so praise goes to God and not themselves. Romans 3:27 says boasting is excluded when it comes to the law of faith. Why? Because a person is only following what God is telling them to do. Ephesians 2:10 is referring to God directed works because these are the kind of works we were created unto Christ Jesus to do. So you have things twisted around.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So according to you, believing in Jesus unto salvation IS DOING EVERYTHING that Jesus has said and commanded? Have you flawlessly obeyed Jesus your entire life? It's a rhetorical question. Your statement is a typical response from works-salvationists, including LoveGodsWord from Christian Forums who also teaches that the gospel is EVERY word that comes from the mouth of God. Type 2 works salvation/works righteousness and sinless perfection is not the narrow way. (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9; 1 John 1:8-10) External obedience apart from authentic faith in Christ is not obedience. (Matthew 7:22-23) Although obedience is a manifestation of belief and disobedience is a manifestation of unbelief, faith is still faith (belief, trust, reliance) and obedience which follows is works.

Your argument about the law of Moses vs. the laws of Christ is the same bogus argument that Roman Catholics use in a vain effort to teach that we are saved by "these" works and just not "those" works. Initial and ultimate salvation is by grace through faith and not by works. (Ephesians 2:8,9; 1 Peter 1:9)

In regards to the parable of the unprofitable servant, the first two servants deposited their talents with the bankers (verse 27) but the third servant buried his talent in the ground (Matthew 25:25). The third servant had been given a talent according to his ability and the opportunity to believe and bear fruit in accordance, but chose to reject it. The unprofitable servant was also referred to as "wicked" and "lazy" (Matthew 25:26-30) and he was "cast out into outer darkness," which certainly indicates that he was not a true disciple of the master. The idea of this illustrative parable is that all true believers will produce fruit in varying degress.

All genuine believers are fruitful, but not all are equally fruitful (Matthew 13:23). Those who produce no results at all were not truly converted. Two of these servants were children of God, but not the third. Children of God are not cast out into outer darkness. The fact that this man is called a "servant" does not necessarily mean that he was saved.

The children of Israel were called "servants" but they were not all saved. Leviticus 25:55 - For the children of Israel are servants to Me; they are My servants whom I brought out of the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God. Isaiah 43:10 - “You are My witnesses,” says the Lord, And My servant whom I have chosen.. Nehemiah 1:6 - please let Your ear be attentive and Your eyes open, that You may hear the prayer of Your servant which I pray before You now, day and night, for the children of Israel Your servants, and confess the sins of the children of Israel which we have sinned against You. Both my father’s house and I have sinned. No surprise and Jesus said that He was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. (Matthew 15:24)

When John the Baptist said "bring forth fruits worthy of repentance in Matthew 3:8, he was addressing the Pharisees and Sadducees and called them brood of vipers! Self righteousness/works salvation is not the fruit of repentance that John was referring to.

In regards to the lifeless state of the church at Sardis in Revelation 3 - "..you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead." This church may have had a name of being alive, but they were spiritually lifeless. In other words, the church was filled with unsaved people going through the motions of religion who needed to wake up and repent IN CONTRAST with a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments; and they will walk with Jesus in white.

White garments are mentioned elsewhere in Revelation. The church at Laodicea mentions white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed. (Revelation 3:18). The 24 elders wear white garments (Revelation 4:4). The martyrs waiting for God’s judgment are given white robes to wear (Revelation 6:11). The armies appearing with the Messiah also wear white and clean linen (Revelation 19:14). The great multitude of the saved in Revelation 7:14 wear robes made white in the red blood of the Lamb. The color paradox makes the point and implies that the color white stands for God’s people made spiritually pure and justified by Jesus’ blood. That means the few in Sardis who were given white robes had been made right and just before God.

Faith without works (faith that remains barren of works) is dead, yet we are still saved through faith and not by works. (Romans 4:2-6)

According to you, anything short of sinless perfection = working iniquity/practicing lawlessness. You remain in error.
Jesus‘ blood: Yeah, you gotta also read 1 John 1:7 and believe it, too. But you don’t. 1 John 1:7 says you have to walk in the light and the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin. By the indirect wording in 1 John 2:9-11: It is saying that walking in the light = Loving your brother. This is confirmed if you were to read 1 John 3:10.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Also, faith is lived out. We live this life to cleanse ourselves. Read 2 Corinthians 7:1.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you don’t go to Church?

...All the apostles where in the Lords church!
That church has local churches. All of these local churches are universally the church of Christ,
Romans 16:16,
-Greet one another with a Holy kiss. The churches of Christ greet you.

Christians are members of the Lords church, that church according to Paul is the church of Christ.
No denominational churches existed at this time. btw, catholic church is a denomination just as Methodist church is a denomination...

That is a typical response from those who attend the "church of Christ" (Campbellism). When I was a teenager, I had temporarily attended the so called "church of Christ" and they taught me that ONLY "their" church is the "true Church" and they quoted Romans 16:16 in an effort to support their claim because it mentions the specific words, "churches of Christ. Such a silly claim! I guess those who attend the Church of God denomination could also try to use these verses (Acts 20:28; 1 Corinthians 1:22; 10:32; 11:22 etc..) in an effort to teach that ONLY their church is the "true Church" as well because those verses use the specific words, "church of God."

The "true Church" is made up of all genuine born again believers and is the body of Christ (Colossians 1:18,24) and is not simply a church building with a name stamped on the front of it.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, faith is lived out. We live this life to cleanse ourselves. Read 2 Corinthians 7:1.
We live by faith, not by sight. (2 Corinthians 5:7) Purifying ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God is what believers seek to do as children of God.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus‘ blood: Yeah, you gotta also read 1 John 1:7 and believe it, too. But you don’t. 1 John 1:7 says you have to walk in the light and the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin. By the indirect wording in 1 John 2:9-11: It is saying that walking in the light = Loving your brother. This is confirmed if you were to read 1 John 3:10.
I certainly do believe 1 John 1:7. I just don't believe your EISEGESIS. As I previously explained to you multiple times before (please pay close attention this time) In 1 John 1:6, we read - If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. Walking in darkness is 'descriptive' of children of the devil. Walking in the light is 'descriptive' of children of God. Only those who are saved/believers are in the light.

Acts 26:18 - to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.

2 Corinthians 6:14 - Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

Ephesians 5:8 - for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light. Children of the devil walk in darkness, not in the light. Children of God walk in the light, not in darkness. IF confirms these positions in verses 6 and 7. It's one or the other.

In 1 John 2:9, we read - He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. Verse 11 - But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

*Compare with 1 John 3:10 - In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, (compare with 1 John 1:6 - does not practice the truth) nor is he who does not love his brother. *Notice that "walks in darkness" and "hates his brother" is in connection with "children of the devil."

Reactions: Gospel Believer

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t have a lot of time, but Ephesians 2:9 is not referring to the same kind of works in Ephesians 2:10. Ephesians 2:9 are the kind of works a person would boast in doing (Which would be man directed works). Good works a believer does are the works of God moving through a believer and so praise goes to God and not themselves. Romans 3:27 says boasting is excluded when it comes to the law of faith. Why? Because a person is only following what God is telling them to do. Ephesians 2:10 is referring to God directed works because these are the kind of works we were created unto Christ Jesus to do. So you have things twisted around.
It's you who has things twisted around and the end result is always the same (salvation by works). The apostle Paul made it clear that we are not saved by works (Ephesians 2:9) and that God imputes righteousness apart from works (Romans 4:5-6) and that it's not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to His mercy He saved us (Titus 3:5) and that God called us and saved us with a holy calling not according to our works (2 Timothy 1:9) yet you are somehow trying to convince me that what Paul is really saying is that we are saved by "these" works (good works) and just not "those" works (works of the law). Roman Catholics teach this same bogus argument in an effort to "get around" the truth that we are saved through faith and not by works in general. Ephesians 2:10 clearly states that we are created in Christ Jesus unto/for good works. Paul did not say that we are saved by good works. That is your eisegesis.

Reactions: Gospel Believer

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WHY?
Why do we act as children and I say ACT (like in a play) but yet DO NOT have the innocence and ready forgiveness they do?

If ANYTHING I believe is not in God's word, then I welcome correcting. ( Correctly administered)

However none want someone to say continually," You are wrong"!

Guess what....EVERY DENOMINATION is corrupted by this world's evil. Your statement of faith, creed, traditions, rituals, practices, ect.will NOT take you to heaven to God !

These things we can be ASSURED of, the Holy Spirit of God leading us, the word of God is inspired by him and written by chosen holy men, the wages of sin, the ONLY way to redemption and there is a Creator, God, whom we ALL will face!

All else is fluff and souls are in the wide & broad way headed to judgment. It is our duty to God to preach, teach and reach the lost with the gospel.
Instruction is provided per God by his apostles in his written word that we as individuals can be prepared inside and outside the cup to bear forth his name in righteousness!
It is INDIVIDUAL as to whether or not we live in his will, his commandments, and walk in his light; it IS NOT BY GROUP!

We are constantly being weighed in the balance. Let us be aligned by his Spirit that all edifies ourselves & others, that we have been open & honest with ourselves and God and that all we owe is to love one another!

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess those who attend the Church of God denomination could also try to use these verses (Acts 20:28; 1 Corinthians 1:22; 10:32; 11:22 etc..) in an effort to teach that ONLY their church is the "true Church" as well because those verses use the specific words, "church of God."
The church of God is found in the new testament Dan,
Therefore the church of God is Biblical.
The church of Christ is Biblical.
The house of God is Biblical.
There are more descriptions found in the new testament,
bride of Christ, Biblical.
Body of Christ, Biblical.

Baptist church, unbiblical
Methodist church, unbiblical
Mormon church, unbiblical
Lutheran church, unbiblical
Presbyterian church, unbiblical
Grace fellowship church, unbiblical
Penetcostal church, unbiblical
Seventh day Adventist, unbiblical
House church, unbiblical

Danthemailman, you lied to me when you said you were not in the Baptist sect.
I already asked you what church you were in. You would not tell me it was Baptist.
So, you said a modern name, (I dont remember it at this moment).
I looked it up, guess what? It's a Baptist sect! They teach Baptist doctrine.
Why is it Dan, you dont want others to know you are in a denomination?
I know why. Its because you know God condemns divisions.
Yet, you lie and say your church is non-denominational.
It is the Baptist faith no matter what name you try to come up with to hide it.

Just because a church uses the Biblical name of the Lords church like the church of God,
Does not make them the church of God.
btw, the church of God and the church of Christ are the same church!
There is only one church Dan, it's the Lords, and it has different descriptions of that one church in the new testament.

Nowhere in the new testament is there a Baptist church. Its head is man, John Smyth not Christ.

This is a ridiculous accusation Danthemailman here,
they quoted Romans 16:16 in an effort to support their claim because it mentions the specific words, "churches of Christ. Such a silly claim! I guess those who attend the Church of God denomination could also try to use these verses (Acts 20:28; 1 Corinthians 1:22; 10:32; 11:22 etc..) in an effort to teach that ONLY their church is the "true Church"
You don't prove you are the Lords church in the new testament by putting a sign up!
You prove you are the new testament church of Christ by,
Not adding anything to Gods word.
Not taking away anything from Gods word.
You only speak as the bible speaks.
And you are silent where the Bible is silent.

You follow the new testament pattern.
Then and only then can you be Scripturally identified as the church of Christ.

I can use a Biblical name on the building but if I dont teach the gospel of Jesus Christ like say faith onlyism.
Then it is not the Lords church,
Galatians 1:6-7,
-I marvel that you are turning away so soon from God who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,
which is not another;
but there are some who trouble you(sectarian, division) and want to pervert the gospel.

Danthemailman as long as men like you don't want all to be of the same mind in that one church, we will always be in this constant confusion just as this forum is.

1Corinthians 1:10,
-Now I plead with you brethren by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing and that there be no divisions among you but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol.
Some ppl are so very ridiculous that it makes heaven laugh.

No denomination in the word of God. NONE!

God said he did NOT dwell in tabernacles made by man's hands but rather we are the temples that God dwells within.

The " Church" is the body of Christ wherein he is the head, the Bride of Christ are the saved since his D,B,& R and they are few and a remnant.

Reactions: Titus

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol.
Some ppl are so very ridiculous that it makes heaven laugh.

No denomination in the word of God. NONE!

God said he did NOT dwell in tabernacles made by man's hands but rather we are the temples that God dwells within.

The " Church" is the body of Christ wherein he is the head, the Bride of Christ are the saved since his D,B,& R and they are few and a remnant.
That's right! If Danthemailman responds to my comment he will probably go on and on about how the founder of "my church"(I dont have a church) is Alexander Campbell that started the church of Christ in the United States. This is a false accusation the Baptist churches have been making for hundreds of years.
I've told Dan that anerican history proves the church of Christ was already established in America BEFORE Alexander Campbell and his father came to America. Yet Dan being a Baptist continues to tell the old Baptist church lie that the church of Christ was founded by Alexander Campbell.
This is ridiculous.
Alexander Campbell began studying the Bible and through Biblical knowledge he understood that denominations are divisions that are condemned by God.
So he started a restoration in America to get folks in the Baptist church, the Methodist church, Catholics, Luthrens to leave these man made churches and go back to only the Bible church i.e. the church of Christ.
So, he got mislabeled by denominations as starting his own denomination the church of Christ.
WHICH WENT DIRECLTY AGAINST EVERY THING CAMPBELL BELIEVED!

This is how sectarian decieve people about the church of Christ. They say it's just another denomination.
Well, I can read about the church of Christ in my Bible, Romans 16:16.
I know if the church I am a member of patterns itself exactly after the church in the new testament,
Then guess what church that is? Answer, the Lords church, Matthew 16:18-19.

This isnt rocket science.
Suppose I live in Africa.
And Morman missionaries came and converted my whole village to Mormonism.
But I got a copy of the Bible.
I start to read only the Bible and not the book of Mormon.
Then I start to realize that the mormon church is not the church I read about in the new testament.
So, then I began to evangelize to other mormons in my village that we are not following after the pattern of the Lords church that we read about in the new testament.
So, I convince my village to abandon the book of Mormon and go back to Bible only!
And so we start a church that only does,
What the apostles taught.
We did not add anything to the apostles doctrine.
We did not remove anything from the apostles teaching.
We worshipped exactly the way the church worshiped in the new testament.
We only taught what the apostles taught.

We changed nothing.

What church would we be in that African village?

Very simple, the church Paul the apostle is in,
Romans 16:16,
-Greet one another with a Holy kiss, the churches of Christ salute you.

That's exactly what Alexander Campbell did in America.
But there were already churches of Christ in America.
Mr. Campbell just did the most work to get denominational churches to leave their creeds, their manuals, their statements of faith and use Bible only.
Campbell converted many Baptist and other sectarian churches to become the lords church that we read about in the new testament.

He is not the founder of the church of Christ.
How could he be? Paul was in the church of Christ way before Alexander Campbell was born!

Love you friend

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 2:9 is not referring to the same kind of works in Ephesians 2:10. Ephesians 2:9 are the kind of works a person would boast in doing (Which would be man directed works). Good works a believer does are the works of God moving through a believer and so praise goes to God and not themselves. Romans 3:27 says boasting is excluded when it comes to the law of faith.
Bible Highlighter, faith only and no obedience salvationists, always use Ephesians 2:8-9 as their proof text of faith only and no works salvation.
The do not understand Paul. Paul is not saying to the Ephesians no works of any kind to be saved.
Ephesians 2:8-9,
-for by grace you have been saved through faith and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast.

Bible Highlighter, you understand what Paul is saying.
I've tried to explain this passage to Danthemailman many before.
He holds to how faith only doctrine interprets it.

Paul is teaching about boastful works!!! What would that be? Why any work that merited salvation.
Example: works of the law of Moses.

Paul taught the Ephesians the gospel.
We can learn how the ephesians were saved! Not by faith only!

Listen to Paul tell the Ephesians how to be saved in Acts 19:1-7.
-And it happened while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to  Ephesus( this is the land of the Ephesians)
-And finding some disciples. Paul said to them, Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?
So they said to him, We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.
-and Paul said to them, Into what then were you baptized? So they said, Into John's baptism.
-Then Paul said, John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Jesus who would come after John, that is Christ Jesus.
-When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

-And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

Paul did not teach them to believe only. They were already believers in God. Yet they needed to be taught the gospel of Jesus Christ. They had only known about the old testament baptism of John.

Once Paul taught them to believe in Jesus. He then baptized them not in John's baptism but in the name of Jesus Christ.

They were told by Paul to believe and be baptized. That is not faith alone salvation.
Peter taught the same gospel in Acts 2:38,
-Then Peter said to them, Repent and let everyone of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is not believe only no works.
Paul did not teach this to the Ephesians.
Peter did not teach it to the jews.

Ephesians 2:8-9 is referring to works of merit, earning salvation. Paul condemns these works.
Paul never taught no works of any kind are involved in salvation.

Fact: Paul said the only kind of faith that profits anyone is a faith that works through love,
Galatians 5:6,
-For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision profits anything; but faith working through love.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's you who has things twisted around and the end result is always the same (salvation by works).
Not so. There is no twisting necessary. It’s called a plain reading of the Bible. We can clearly see the Bible teach that we are initially saved by God’s grace through faith (which is a process of salvation without works), and then afterwards, works of faith are then required as a part of God’s plan of salvation.

After we are saved by God's grace,
God’s works (done through us) are also required as a part of the Salvation Process:

(Here are a List of Verses):

#1. “Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).

#2. "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.” (James 2:17-18).

#3. "They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).

#4. "If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing," (1 Timothy 6:3-4).

Supplemental verse:

"...God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble." (James 4:6).​

#5. "And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." (Hebrews 5:9).

#6. "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14).

#7. “...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

Supplemental verses:

(a) “That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” (2 Thessalonians 2:12).

(b) “...and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and establish you in every good word and work.” (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17).​

#8. “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1).

Supplemental verse:

“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).​

#9. "If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema [accursed] Maranatha."(1 Corinthians 16:22).

Supplemental verses:

(a) "If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15).

(b) “If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.” (John 15:10).​

#10. ”And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.” (Luke 10:25-28).

(Continued):

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#11. “...if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” (Matthew 19:17-19).

#12. "And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:38). ”If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Matthew 16:24-26).

#13. "...No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62) (cf. Luke 8:11-15, 1 Corinthians 4:15).

#14. "But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).
Supplemental verses:​
(a) "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls." (James 1:21).​
(b) “Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.” (James 1:12).​
(c) "For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." (John 3:20).​

#15. “And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.” (John 5:29).

#16. ”And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.” (Revelation 22:12-15).

#17. “For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:21-22).

#18. “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:12-13).

#19. ”Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matthew 25:34-40).
“Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.” (Matthew 25:41-46).

#20. ”His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” (Matthew 25:21).
”And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 25:30).

(Continued):

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#21. “In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:10).

#22. “He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God” (John 8:47).

#23. “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.” (1 John 1:7) (cf. 1 John 2:9-11).

#24. “For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:20).

#25. “Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.” (Matthew 7:24-27).

#26. “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 7:21).

Supplementary verse:

“For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication” (1 Thessalonians 4:3).​

#27. “And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet [Jesus], shall be destroyed from among the people.” (Acts of the Apostles 3:23).

#28. “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.’ (John 15:5-6).

Supplementary verses:

(a) “Bring forth therefore fruits befitting for repentance” (Matthew 3:8).

(b) “And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.” (Matthew 3:10).​

#29. “And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.” (1 Peter 4:18-19).

#30. “For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” (Galatians 6:8-9).

#31. “And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. For many are called, but few are chosen.” (Matthew 22:11-14). Revelation 19:7-8 (NKJV) says, “Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready.” And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.”