The Pursuit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

durbano

Dec 12, 2007
When asked, most couples will say that their most cherished memories are from when they were first dating, and rightly so. For in my opinion nothing is more exciting and powerful then young love. Young love invigorates and strengthens us. It makes us do things we never thought we could, or would for that matter. It inspires and motivates us; it gives us hope, and reminds us that we are worth loving. It is simply powerful. This young love can be seen in the way lovers hold hands and gaze into each other’s eyes. You can hear it in their talk, and see it in the shy smiles that don whenever they see each other. It is evident in the games they play, the secrets they share, and in their times spent alone. They become as one, as if a new life altogether has been born of them. Their hearts are united in what seems to be an altruistic relationship. However, if you ask me, the greatest part of young love is not the letters passed between them, nor the way lovers gaze into each other’s eyes. It not the walks in the park, or the way their hands touch when they are together; rather, it is the chase; it is the sincere longing of two hearts to win the object of their desire as they earnestly seek each other. It is the quest for the man to rescue his young maiden, and for the maiden to win her knight. Simply put, the greatest part of young love is in the pursuit itself, and we all long for it. Likewise, God wants to be pursued by His people, and He too pursues us as well. Ours is a love story, and He desires for sincere and honest hearts that earnestly seek to be in His presence. Thus, He says to His prophet Jeremiah “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart (Jeremiah 29:13)." When Christ asked the rich ruler to sell all his possessions and follow Him (Luke 18:18-29), the rich man became very sad because he believed the sacrifice was too great for someone of his prosperity. I do not believe that it was the sacrifice that Christ was looking for at all. Perhaps it was the desire to be in His presence more then the desire to possess great wealth; a true and honest hunger for the things of God over the things of this world. This is why it is so hard for the rich to enter the kingdom of heaven, as Christ has said on many occasions, for the rich are seldom willing to seek the presence of God at all cost. They too often attempt to divide their longing between the spiritual and the mundane, the treasures of heaven versus the treasures of earth. I believe that Christ wanted the rich ruler to see that it was the pursuit of God with a sincere and honest heart that leads to eternal life. For the things of this world can never add to, NOR take away, from our inheritance in heaven; rather, it is our quest, our hearts desire in relation to the things of this world that determines where our treasures will lie. Sincere love goes beyond symbolical sacrifice and religious customs; it travels beyond the heart and into the very soul of those whom He has called. He is looking for more than empty submission or mere conformity; He wants a relationship. Since the beginning of time, He has pursued his people and equally yearned to be found by those who truly seek Him. Now, the gospel is a love story told in epic proportions, a romantic prelude to everlasting fellowship with our creator, and we are the wooed for whom the story is told. Christ stands at the door and knocks. Will you open it? More importantly, will you walk through and seek His presence over the things of this world. Seek Him, long for Him; put everything aside and run to Him. Let nothing stand between you and the desire of your heart. He is calling to you with a vow of undying love; pursue Him. [mp] Copyright © 2007Michael D'UrbanoAll rights reservedThe Modern Papyrus