The Righteous

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just don't allow Episkopos to confuse you. He believes that he is a bishop (episkopos) but it looks more and more like he is a purveyor of spiritual confusion.

...the opposite is true of course. People have been brain-washed and programmed.

Reactions: faithfulness

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Righteousness is holiness; likeness to God, and God is love. (1 John 4:16) It is conformity to the law of God, for “all Thy commandments are righteousness” Psalm 119:72, and “love is the fulfilling of the law”. Rom 13:10
Righteousness is love, and love is the true light and life of God. The righteousness of God is embodied in Christ, and we receive righteousness by receiving Him.

Jesus speaking….“But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness”.…(Matt 6:33)

Be careful of mixture.

The righteousness of God is IN holiness. But righteousness itself is not holiness.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't want to play "God in a box" with people. God can do as He pleases without any human say so.

God justifies the righteous.
God justifies the repentant who turn to Him.
God justifies the ungodly by giving them the gift of repentance so that they turn to Him.
God justifies the wicked and shows them His love so that their hearts will turn to Him.

God does all these things...and let no group discount the other....lest they themselves be cut off for their lack of charity towards others.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So then...if we are not righteous before coming to the Lord....we need to learn to be righteous. (2 Tim. 3:16) (The yellow colour I described earlier in post #9)

AND

As Christians we need to seek the Lord to become carriers and ambassadors of HIS righteousness. (The blue colour)

Never get the 2 confused. Never "mingle" strong drink (Is. 5:22). (It's not easy being green)

Last edited:
B

brakelite

Whatever righteousness is, it comes highly recommended.

Mt 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Mt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

First point we must all realise, is that the ‘righteousness’, referred to above is Christ’s own righteousness. Not our own, not someone else’s, not the church’s. Isaiah said our own righteousness is worthless, so what we must answer is the question “what is Christ’s righteousness?” For it is that righteousness that we must hunger and thirst for, it is that righteousness we must seek for on equal priority to His kingdom.

We all, as professing Christians, have accepted Christ’s kingdom. We have all acknowledged His propitiation and atoning death. But His righteousness? What is that? And how do we get it?
Paul answers both questions here…
Ga 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

So the Galatians were thinking that they could be justified by following the law, but Paul says it must be by faith. And he equates justification with righteousness. The cross, the shedding of blood, justifies us. Throughout Biblical history the sacrifice of the animal and the shedding of blood removed sin from being as impediment in the relationship and a wall between God and man. We are ‘accounted’ righteous in the sight of a holy God, and we then have free access to the throne of grace.

But did God desire that Israel continually sin because they had a “get out of jail free card” grazing in the back paddock? Not at all. In fact several times God showed His great displeasure in the rivers of blood that constantly flowed from the temple altar.
Isaiah 1:10 ¶ Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.
11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.
12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?
13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.

What is going on here? It was in Eden that God Himself set up the sacrificial system. And a whole range of various sabbaths and holy days and services and sacrifices for the express purpose of gaining forgiveness, yet here is God saying He wants them to stop? What’s missing? Isaiah in the next few verses gives the answer. And after, John the Baptist confirms this.

16 ¶ Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes;cease to do evil;
17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:

Matthew 3:7 ¶ But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9 ¶ And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature,having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Eph.4:17This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,….22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Thus righteousness is both imputed, (justification) and imparted (sanctification.) Both are essential, both are Christ’s, and both can be ours if we have but faith.
Rom.5:17 For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Romans 8:1 ¶ There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit…4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Whatever righteousness is, it comes highly recommended.

Mt 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Mt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

First point we must all realise, is that the ‘righteousness’, referred to above is Christ’s own righteousness. Not our own, not someone else’s, not the church’s. Isaiah said our own righteousness is worthless, so what we must answer is the question “what is Christ’s righteousness?” For it is that righteousness that we must hunger and thirst for, it is that righteousness we must seek for on equal priority to His kingdom.

We all, as professing Christians, have accepted Christ’s kingdom. We have all acknowledged His propitiation and atoning death. But His righteousness? What is that? And how do we get it?
Paul answers both questions here…
Ga 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

So the Galatians were thinking that they could be justified by following the law, but Paul says it must be by faith. And he equates justification with righteousness. The cross, the shedding of blood, justifies us. Throughout Biblical history the sacrifice of the animal and the shedding of blood removed sin from being as impediment in the relationship and a wall between God and man. We are ‘accounted’ righteous in the sight of a holy God, and we then have free access to the throne of grace.

But did God desire that Israel continually sin because they had a “get out of jail free card” grazing in the back paddock? Not at all. In fact several times God showed His great displeasure in the rivers of blood that constantly flowed from the temple altar.
Isaiah 1:10 ¶ Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.
11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.
12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?
13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.

What is going on here? It was in Eden that God Himself set up the sacrificial system. And a whole range of various sabbaths and holy days and services and sacrifices for the express purpose of gaining forgiveness, yet here is God saying He wants them to stop? What’s missing? Isaiah in the next few verses gives the answer. And after, John the Baptist confirms this.

16 ¶ Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes;cease to do evil;
17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:

Matthew 3:7 ¶ But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9 ¶ And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature,having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Eph.4:17This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,….22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Thus righteousness is both imputed, (justification) and imparted (sanctification.) Both are essential, both are Christ’s, and both can be ours if we have but faith.
Rom.5:17 For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Romans 8:1 ¶ There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit…4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

As with sanctification...there are 2 kinds of righteousness...one is a gift (God's righteousness) and the other is learned through a maturing process (our own righteousness).

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here is a common occurrence.

A Christian meets a non-Christian and says....Hi...I am as righteous as Jesus.

The non-Christian responds...but you are arrogant and full of yourself.... also you are judgmental and very bigoted. I don't perceive any love in you.

To which the Christian responds...(chortling)...I don't care what you think...because God sees me as the opposite of what I really am.

So the Christian continues to live in his delusion.....and the non-Christian goes deeper into sin.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is wrong. The righteous are righteous in God's eyes...otherwise they would be just hypocrites.

When the bible says "righteous" ...that's what it means. Don't add a false interpretation.

I won’t debate it. You seem already convinced. But hear this: every man is a sinner and if a man says he does not sin, then he is a liar. Therefore every man is separated from God and in the bondage of sin and death and need to come to the Lord. We are all sick when we come to Him. We all need to be made whole. It is His righteousness that restores relationship between man and God, not our righteousness. EVERY man needs to be called to repentance. To put yourself in the already whole and already righteous is to say you do not need to be called because you are already right...is that what you saying? Are you saying as Jesus walked and those sick and unrighteous flocked to Him; you wouldn’t have to because you are righteous already? Please tell me I have misunderstood what you mean.

Matthew 9:12-13
[12] But when Jesus heard that , he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick. [13] But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. His righteousness goes before Him; that is us(His work).

Numbers 16:28
[28] And Moses said, Hereby ye shall know that the Lord hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind.

Isaiah 64:4-8
[4] For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him. [5] Thou meetest him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways: behold, thou art wroth; for we have sinned: in those is continuance, and we shall be saved. [6] But we are all as an unclean thing , and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. [7] And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities. [8] But now, O Lord , thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I won’t debate it. You seem already convinced. But hear this: every man is a sinner and if a man says he does not sin, then he is a liar.

If a man admits that he sins...then he is not a liar.

But if a man is in Christ who does not sin...and another says he sins....then the other is a liar.

Therefore every man is separated from God and in the bondage of sin and death and need to come to the Lord. We are all sick when we come to Him.

Not according to Jesus. But to you... Why don't you listen to Jesus? Or the rest of the testimony of the bible? Why do you hold an opinion?

It is His righteousness that restores relationship between man and God, not our righteousness.

OK now you're actually saying something biblical. By always painting with the same brush you are going to get it right sometimes. :)

EVERY man needs to be called to repentance. To put yourself in the already whole and already righteous is to say you do not need to be called because you are already right...is that what you saying? Are you saying as Jesus walked and those sick and unrighteous flocked to Him; you wouldn’t have to because you are righteous already? Please tell me I have misunderstood what you mean.

You aren't getting it. Look at the thread....read the verse I posted that prove your position is just an opinion....and a wrong one at that.

You have a religious posture. I'm not going to go over again all the points I already made. The bible isn't going to change. It's up to you to pray about the verses that contradict what you are saying.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is wrong. The righteous are righteous in God's eyes...otherwise they would be just hypocrites.

When the bible says "righteous" ...that's what it means. Don't add a false interpretation.

The rich young ruler who kept the commandments, but was called to holiness, was not saved as you said. So he needed mercy as a sinner, but was not truly righteous to want to receive that salvation and holiness. The "no one is righteous" may have been directed to the group of religious leaders, but I think it goes for all of us. Our righteous acts are as filthy rags. But if an unbeliever is already doing righteous acts, I think it is easier to follow an all-righteous God. Same with believers.

Being in Christ and doing righteous acts, now that is reflecting Christ and therefore is rewarded.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Edit: he was not righteous, because he didn't want to give up the many things he had for Christ.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The rich young ruler who kept the commandments, but was called to holiness, was not saved as you said. So he needed mercy as a sinner, but was not truly righteous to want to receive that salvation and holiness. The "no one is righteous" may have been directed to the group of religious leaders, but I think it goes for all of us. Our righteous acts are as filthy rags. But if an unbeliever is already doing righteous acts, I think it is easier to follow an all-righteous God. Same with believers.

Being in Christ and doing righteous acts, now that is reflecting Christ and therefore is rewarded.

It is actually difficult for the righteous to see their need of God. They are already doing well. Sinners understand their need. Sinners are closer to their need. But some righteous do turn to God. Cornelius, the centurion, is a good example.

And of course many sinners do not turn to God either.

You can't make a rule about these kind of things. Every case is unique. So we can't judge. :)

Uisdean

Aug 12, 2018
Asheville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is Righteousness, anyway?
I think the Greek word can be translated as "Integrity" , not 100% sure about that...
Can an Atheist or Pagan perform a Righteous Act?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is Righteousness, anyway?
I think the Greek word can be translated as "Integrity" , not 100% sure about that...
Can an Atheist or Pagan perform a Righteous Act?

Of course. When Jesus says not to judge this is precisely what He means. We can't put people into tidy religious boxes and think we understand God.