The Righteous

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think he is more upset at me. :) But I think he needs to hear the voice that cries out for humility before an awesome God. No one knows the outcome on that day. There will be huge surprises. I pray that they will be joyous ones.

The huge surprises go both ways...some say: when did we ever see you thirsty and not give you a drink? Others say: when did we see you thirsty and give you a drink?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The man has said there is no one so righteous that he never sins, so what are you arguing about...?

The reference was to: Mark 2:17
When Jesus heard it , he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

I’ve just never heard anyone say they are the righteous in Mark 2:17, not the sinner that Jesus came to call.

Maybe I misunderstood him. Maybe I’ve misunderstood the verse. Are we the righteous or the sinners called to repentance?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The reference was to: Mark 2:17
When Jesus heard it , he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

I’ve just never heard anyone say they are the righteous in Mark 2:17, not the sinner that Jesus came to call.

Maybe I misunderstood him. Maybe I’ve misunderstood the verse. Are we the righteous or the sinners called to repentance?

That depends on what we were when we were called.

Don't make everything the same. God creates variety. Vive la difference! :)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, well you have to read the man's posts carefully. He can't be read piecemeal. He says some hard to understand things. I myself have often had to ask questions of him to fully understand what he was saying because despite having never gone to a church except on occasion, I have still accepted some of the wisdom of the world as being true. It helps to carefully read all of his posts before objecting. He often seems to be wrong to me at first blush but then I listen some more and i find that he is actually preaching the full and true gospel and a moving on to putting your hand to the plow.

Reactions: faithfulness

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That depends on what we were when we were called.

Don't make everything the same. God creates variety. Vive la difference! :)

That is not answer. Were you righteous when God called you into repentance, or were you a sinner? Were you whole or sick and in need of a physician when He called you?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a common occurrence.

A Christian meets a non-Christian and says....Hi...I am as righteous as Jesus.

The non-Christian responds...but you are arrogant and full of yourself.... also you are judgmental and very bigoted. I don't perceive any love in you.

To which the Christian responds...(chortling)...I don't care what you think...because God sees me as the opposite of what I really am.

So the Christian continues to live in his delusion.....and the non-Christian goes deeper into sin.
Be a "doer" and not just a "hearer". So easy to "hear" but, put the rubber to the road and....then we will know the difference...:eek:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have recently retired, and now have the time to learn how to play golf. I have discovered some funds about myself I never knew, and discovered that there are always parallels and analogues between the spiritual and the physical. I have owned in gulf that one must never focus on the end score, nor even on getting the ball to where you want it to go. You focus only on that which you can personally and directly have an effect. Your grip... Swing... Stance... Club choice. The rest, where the ball goes and your final score, is the fruit of doing those things right.
As we get our relationship right with God, as we cleave to Him in prayer and in study of His word, eating the bread of life, the fruits of that relationship will fall into place. Fruits of righteousness. But if we focus on growing fruit: if we focus on gaining eternal life... We will fall because we will be neglecting the very thing that gets us there...John17:3; John15:5; 2Corinthians3
KJV Philippians 1
6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;
10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ;
11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.
I am not golfer but, didn't you miss one thing in the list of stuff one needs to keep their eye on before hitting the ball? Maybe, the BALL!! LOLOL j/k BL.. :D

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am not golfer but, didn't you miss one thing in the list of stuff one needs to keep their eye on before hitting the ball? Maybe, the BALL!! LOLOL j/k BL.. :D

or...iron sharpens iron...and other such golf analogies...

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not understand this.
Jesus said, "I am the Truth" so, yes, Truth is alive. But Jesus (God) is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. He does not change. What you are saying sounds like you think that "Truth" changes. You can't mean that...so...maybe you mean Obedience.
But...Obedience is that you did as asked. It does not move.
Then...Righteousness must be the thing that moves. But Righteousness originates with God. He is the sorce of Righteousness. That does not change.

Sorry, but I fail to understand you.

2 Corinthians 5:21 "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." That's how I understand this, anyhow. :)

Reactions: faithfulness

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is Righteousness, anyway?
I think the Greek word can be translated as "Integrity" , not 100% sure about that...
Can an Atheist or Pagan perform a Righteous Act?

Hi, read your post last Sunday, the word 'integrity' caught my attention. Remembered your post again this morning, along with the words "integrity of soul", from a book I read a few months ago. I didn't remember a thing I read from the book but those three little words, they were so imprinted on my heart. fwiw I think that was the beginning of my understanding of 'righteousness'.

The Righteousness spoken of in scripture originates from the Hebrew word tsedaqah derived from Isaiah 33:14-16 and its definition means rectitude, virtue and justice in behavior. In the Greek, righteousness is translated from the word dikaiosyne, meaning integrity, virtue, purity of life, rightness, correctness of thinking, feeling and acting, the condition acceptable to YHVH.

Last edited: