The Righteousness of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The righteousness of saints is the righteousness which is of God by faith, as opposed to the righteousness of the law (Philippians 3:9).

Reactions: Enoch111

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here is an example of the righteousness of God. Few will understand or agree. It's practically a miracle when someone finally "gets it."

I remain ever hopeful in spite of any evidence to the contrary. If you don't agree, don't bother posting. I have heard all the human type reasonings in my almost 40 years of speaking these things.

It concerns the righteousness of the Pharisees.

Jesus said...

Mat. 5;20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

("NEVER enter" means not in this life or the next.)

Whose righteousness is Jesus talking about? Not His...but OURS. Jesus is comparing apples with apples here. YOUR Righteousness (NOT God's)

The Pharisees were very religious...like many believers are today. They believed (as all religious people do) that they are righteous....but God doesn't see it that way.

People will say that Jesus was speaking of His own righteousness here. But that is far from the case. Jesus was speaking FROM His righteousness when he condemned the religious among us. But He was not speaking OF His righteousness....He was speaking about ours.

“Amen, I say to you, tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God before you.” (Matt 21:31)

Here again Jesus is comparing human righteousnesses. Apples with apples.

That means that a religious grasp of righteousness is worse than being fully wicked. It is the very worst thing to do in the world.

You'd think that people would show just a little fear of God before making wild statements.
People will ignore the words of Jesus by saying that they are not the subject of Jesus' warnings.

So then God's righteousness is shown by warning people about how they justify themselves. Religious people justify themselves and are condemned for it. Blatant sinners don't do this...and God sees them as better in their actions...although they are sinning full bore.

God's righteousness gives us a clear window into the various righteousnesses that men can produce. The religious deny the existence of any righteousness other than God's...and judge others as less righteous than themselves. Perfect Pharisees. But these have stumbled over Christ just as the Pharisees did.

Now, who can discern the truth?

Reactions: faithfulness

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Let's look at the parable of the talents. (Mat. 25)
  • If we see the talent (grace) as God's righteousness to us....as a gift of grace
  • then we also need to grow ourselves into a maturity in righteousness
  • So we are being conformed to the character of Christ in this way
  • So we make a new talent with His talent
Or...we learn to be righteous through His life....and His righteousness working through us.

We become "dyed in the wool" in this way.

Those who think that there is nothing to add to God's grace will bury their potential (talent) and remain as immature as when they were first called and given that initial grace. They continue to act as they always have and consider grace as something that they can keep for themselves.

But the talent is God's (HIS righteousness)…and He will take it back....leaving what we have done with it as OUR inheritance.
So then His righteousness cultivates a righteousness in us...that becomes our own...the righteousness of saints.
THIS is the wedding garment.

Boy is this use of the Parable of the Talent spiritualised to say something that is not actually contained in the context of the parable.

Shalom

PS: - The man who goes away is not Jesus and the talent is a measure of money with which they had to trade with to make more for their master, i.e. Satan.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That would be a TOTAL misapplication of the parable of the talents. In the parable, the talents were gold or silver bullion (Gk talenton = a weight worth about $1000).

Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury [interest].

Those talents represents (1) wealth given to Christians, (2) talents or natural abilities, (3) spiritual gifts, (4) opportunities for ministry and service. In brief stewardship given to every Christian.

They are NOT about salvation but about service.

Another misrepresentation of the Parable of the Talents.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Again you seek to diminish what is of God...so that the carnal man can seem to obtain it....which of course he can't.

A talent is worth about 20 years of wages. A small fortune. This represents the investment that God has given us by grace. It is of a high value. What we do with that determines whether we will receive a reward....or suffer loss (be rejected) at the Bema seat judgment.

And again another misunderstanding about the context of the Parable of the Talent.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And again another misunderstanding about the context of the Parable of the Talent.

...or what is your misunderstanding of an actual good understanding of the parable.

What makes you think you know more about parables than what I have described?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Boy is this use of the Parable of the Talent spiritualised to say something that is not actually contained in the context of the parable.

Shalom

PS: - The man who goes away is not Jesus and the talent is a measure of money with which they had to trade with to make more for their master, i.e. Satan.

You set good as evil and evil as good. You exchange light for darkness....and darkness for light.

And you say I lack understanding? Well from that perspective of course. :)

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here is an example of the righteousness of God. Few will understand or agree. It's practically a miracle when someone finally "gets it."

I remain ever hopeful in spite of any evidence to the contrary. If you don't agree, don't bother posting. I have heard all the human type reasonings in my almost 40 years of speaking these things.

It concerns the righteousness of the Pharisees.

Jesus said...

Mat. 5;20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

("NEVER enter" means not in this life or the next.)

Whose righteousness is Jesus talking about? Not His...but OURS. Jesus is comparing apples with apples here. YOUR Righteousness (NOT God's)

The Pharisees were very religious...like many believers are today. They believed (as all religious people do) that they are righteous....but God doesn't see it that way.

People will say that Jesus was speaking of His own righteousness here. But that is far from the case. Jesus was speaking FROM His righteousness when he condemned the religious among us. But He was not speaking OF His righteousness....He was speaking about ours.

“Amen, I say to you, tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God before you.” (Matt 21:31)

Here again Jesus is comparing human righteousnesses. Apples with apples.

That means that a religious grasp of righteousness is worse than being fully wicked. It is the very worst thing to do in the world.

You'd think that people would show just a little fear of God before making wild statements.
People will ignore the words of Jesus by saying that they are not the subject of Jesus' warnings.

So then God's righteousness is shown by warning people about how they justify themselves. Religious people justify themselves and are condemned for it. Blatant sinners don't do this...and God sees them as better in their actions...although they are sinning full bore.

God's righteousness gives us a clear window into the various righteousnesses that men can produce. The religious deny the existence of any righteousness other than God's...and judge others as less righteous than themselves. Perfect Pharisees. But these have stumbled over Christ just as the Pharisees did.

Now, who can discern the truth?

The interesting thing about the scribes and Pharisees is that they provided the understanding that they wanted the people to have which was often not according to what the word of God, i.e. there scriptures, said or described. An example of this is their teaching of what the Christ/Messiah would be like when he came. Little has changed from Jesus' day judging by what is posted on this forum by the people who believe they have the giftings of the Scribes and Pharisees. The sad thing is that many encourage these modern day scribes and Pharisees because their ears are being tickled.

Shalom

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The interesting thing about the scribes and Pharisees is that they provided the understanding that they wanted the people to have which was often not according to what the word of God, i.e. there scriptures, said or described. An example of this is their teaching of what the Christ/Messiah would be like when he came. Little has changed from Jesus' day judging by what is posted on this forum by the people who believe they have the giftings of the Scribes and Pharisees. The sad thing is that many encourage these modern day scribes and Pharisees because their ears are being tickled.

Shalom

You haven't stated the source of your indoctrination into the "devil's parables."

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could this be an example of Jesus speaking from the grace and righteousness of God? Just winging it here :)

1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.
2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.
3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,
4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.
5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.
6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?
7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.
8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.
9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.
10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.
11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,
12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.
13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?
14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.
15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?
16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
...or what is your misunderstanding of an actual good understanding of the parable.

What makes you think you know more about parables than what I have described?

You set good as evil and evil as good. You exchange light for darkness....and darkness for light.

And you say I lack understanding? Well from that perspective of course. :)

You said that you have 40 years of understanding and have probably been praised for expressing your understanding, but that does not mean that you actually have God's understanding but that your understanding comes from another source. The parable has been misused for years by religious leaders to get people to work harder to being in the kingdom of God but Christ told us that all that we had to do was to, "Believe in Him Whom He had sent."

Church leaders have been using this parable to encourage people to change their lives for the better, which is the message I am hearing you attempting to make, but the Parable of the Talents does not support your intended message. However, there are other scriptural passages i.e. Ep 4:23-24, that are better to use for your intended message.

Shalom

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Could this be an example of Jesus speaking from the grace and righteousness of God? Just winging it here :)

1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.
2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.
3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,
4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.
5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.
6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?
7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.
8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.
9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.
10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.
11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,
12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.
13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?
14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.
15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?
16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

The parable of the denarius (day's wage).

This is about the righteousness of men...and how God deals with it. So this is about the saved of the nations...NOT the saints. Do you see that the workers didn't understand the righteousness of God? "You have made them equal to us"????? What's the big deal?

The righteous are scarcely saved. We are talking about small sums of money...as opposed to the riches of the talents (huge sums of money)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You said that you have 40 years of understanding and have probably been praised for expressing your understanding, but that does not mean that you actually have God's understanding but that your understanding comes from another source. The parable has been misused for years by religious leaders to get people to work harder to being in the kingdom of God but Christ told us that all that we had to do was to, "Believe in Him Whom He had sent."

Church leaders have been using this parable to encourage people to change their lives for the better, which is the message I am hearing you attempting to make, but the Parable of the Talents does not support your intended message. However, there are other scriptural passages i.e. Ep 4:23-24, that are better to use for your intended message.

Shalom

Where did you get your interpretation from? An angel of light...or that appeared to be so? What is your source?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You haven't stated the source of your indoctrination into the "devil's parables."

Perhaps you need time out to actually study the significance of the Parables of the Minas and the Talents to form a better understand of the message of what Christ was teaching in the telling of these parable. Yes both of these parables were told by Jesus to describe how Satan will still have an influence over the peoples of the earth through his good and faithful servants while he is locked up for a time in the Bottomless pit. Both audiences were or Jewish origin and so would have known that it is wrong to charge your brother interest when lending them money. This is an OT statue. Jesus kept the law and the statues so why would He have suggested to his wicked servant that he could have given the talent to money lenders so that his money could still earn interest. Sadly you seem to not highlight this point in the two parables.

I find that your understanding is lacking on many levels.

Shalom

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Perhaps you need time out to actually study the significance of the Parables of the Minas and the Talents to form a better understand of the message of what Christ was teaching in the telling of these parable. Yes both of these parables were told by Jesus to describe how Satan will still have an influence over the peoples of the earth through his good and faithful servants while he is locked up for a time in the Bottomless pit. Both audiences were or Jewish origin and so would have known that it is wrong to charge your brother interest when lending them money. This is an OT statue. Jesus kept the law and the statues so why would He have suggested to his wicked servant that he could have given the talent to money lenders so that his money could still earn interest. Sadly you seem to not highlight this point in the two parables.

I find that your understanding is lacking on many levels.

Shalom

You are confusing the OT and the kingdom. Not at all the same. Apples and Studebakers. So then you came up with this doozie all by yourself? Or did you get it from the Messianics?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Where did you get your interpretation from? An angel of light...or that appeared to be so? What is your source?

Actually, I read the Bible and allow it to speak into my heart filtered by the guidance of the Holy Spirit as I dwell on God's word. I take my time to allow God's truth to be slowly revealed to me over time. During this time I am taken to other scriptures which are linked to the portion that I am meditating on that confirm the revelation I am receiving on the passage of scripture I am studying.

Shalom

PS: - The OT is important to read and also understand as it bring greater meaning to our understanding of the NT.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually, I read the Bible and allow it to speak into my heart filtered by the guidance of the Holy Spirit as I dwell on God's word. I take my time to allow God's truth to be slowly revealed to me over time. During this time I am taken to other scriptures which are linked to the portion that I am meditating on that confirm the revelation I am receiving on the passage of scripture I am studying.

Shalom

Well then you need guidance....the bible is not about your personal interpretation no matter how long you ponder it. You have missed the boat here.