The Righteousness of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you truly have faith in Jesus, your identity in Christ is that you are righteous even when and if you blow it (Romans 4:5).

I pulled out this part because in this difficult discussion, (difficult for me anyway - it tests the very limits of my intelligence!) I can't even try to think about the rest of your post because this stops me and I can't get past it.

Are you saying a righteous man does not do righteously? A righteous man does what is right. As with the 2 sons epi mentioned, the one in the end who DID what his father said was the righteous one. The other son, in the end, did not DO what his father asked, even though he said he would.

This ties into wisdom is shown to be right by her results.

So aren't we looking, not at the here and now, but more at the end results?

Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Wisdom is shown to be right by her results. Neither son could be said to be righteous just by what they said (yes I will or no I wont) because just saying you will or wont isn't the end result and the one who said no or the one who said yes does not determine who blew it. The end result determines that.

The faith that saves you is not just what you say. It is also the end results.

Sorry if that isn't clear. This is difficult for my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: faithfulness

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is a very misunderstood topic. The righteousness of God has been lowered into something far less than miraculous and divine in our time. But let's give ourselves a chance to get things right.

I would like to begin by listing a few examples of the righteousness of God in action...from the bible.(I hope others will contribute as well)

Ananias and Sapphira lost their lives to the Spirit because they lied to God...how?

By the righteousness of God. No one laid a finger on them. God judged them according to His righteousness and holiness.

It is crucial to understand the scale of things and be able to understand comparisons...in order to understand the things of God.

For instance....God hides Himself as well as many things about Himself...from the wicked, the proud and the self-interested. But He reveals them to babes...the humble...the merciful and the diligent. This is according to righteousness. HIS righteousness.
'I am not ashamed of the gospel......for in it is the righteousness of God revealed....' Romans 1:16-17

Reactions: brakelite

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying a righteous man does not do righteously?

I am saying that the Lord declares the ungodly person to be righteous according to this verse (Romans 4:5).

In doing so, He calls those things which be not as though they were (Romans 4:17).

So the ungodly person is made righteous, by faith.

If a righteous person commits an ungodly act, it does not change his righteous standing before the Lord. He is righteous not because of his performance but because of his faith in Jesus.

Because he is righteous, he will do what is righteous (1 John 3:7).

But it is not the other way around. He is righteous, not because he does what is righteous, he is righteous because of his faith in Jesus Christ.

If someone is righteous through faith in Jesus, righteous behaviour will surely follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So to be forgiven, to be justified and to be righteous are all the same thing?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So to be forgiven, to be justified and to be righteous are all the same thing?
To be justified is to be declared righteous. And it is impossible for God to lie.

To be forgiven is to have your sins forgiven, which is, in a sense, to be declared righteous before God.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gaaah! I can't do it. My mind will NOT do it. There is something wrong...justified and righteous cannot be the same exact thing. At least not where there is no humility.

I think I could be seeing...oh heck, I honestly can't explain. Its in the USE of it that I object.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Justified is to be declared righteous; and this can happen for the person who is ungodly.

Justified is a positional standing before the Lord; righteous has to do with the condition of the heart.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Helen

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well it doesn't help. Because if it then leads to someone saying : even if I then act unrighteously, I am still righteous, then this is wrong. Its not in any way grounded in reality!

I can see saying: I am forgiven, even after I act in an unrighteous manner, because He is everforgiving and patient with me, but to say, at the point where I act unrighteously, that I am righteous? No. In fact, if I was trusting Him and following Him, I would not dare act unrighteously and then say about it, oh well, despite acting unrighteously, I am nevertheless righteous.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is SO merciful and forgiving. WHY do we need to have anything more than that to grab?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My objection is still to the USE of it. My objection is not to babies soiling themselves or being expected to.

My objection is to...the whole wobbly tower. To the shoddy workmanship...

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See Romans 4:5, the application of it is that we are declared righteous because of our faith even though we are ungodly, our identity in Christ is that we are righteous even when we blow it.

Our righteousness in Christ is not based on our performance, but on our faith in Christ.

So then, now that you have this wonderful identity in Christ (you are righteous because of your faith in Him); go and live like that identity is yours.

Iow, go and live like someone who is truly righteous, even as it is spoken of in 1 John 3:7.

Look at it this way:

God is not going to condemn us for individual sins here and there.

God wants us to understand that in Him, our identity is that we are the righteousness of God in Christ.

He wants us to live like we have that identity, so He gives us that identity as a free gift, regardless of our behaviour.

He expects our behaviour to be affected by our new identity.

Reactions: Pearl

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well it doesn't help. Because if it then leads to someone saying : even if I then act unrighteously, I am still righteous, then this is wrong. Its not in any way grounded in reality!

I can see saying: I am forgiven, even after I act in an unrighteous manner, because He is everforgiving and patient with me, but to say, at the point where I act unrighteously, that I am righteous? No. In fact, if I was trusting Him and following Him, I would not dare act unrighteously and then say about it, oh well, despite acting unrighteously, I am nevertheless righteous.

I think the difficulty you are having is with the contrast of forgiveness with being justified. To be righteous IS to be justified. In other languages, like French... the word for righteousness is 'la justice". So then indeed to be justified is to be deemed righteous.

Forgiveness is different I think. We forgive people, not because they ARE righteous....but because they are not. Forgiveness is an attitude that says...I want that person to BE righteous...so then my example of forgiveness will help that person. So hopefully our attitude CHANGES into one of righteousness after we have been forgiven. Righteous people still sin...but they can repent, ask forgiveness...make restitution...etc

But for those who continue in unrighteousness after they are forgiven...

Amos 9:10 All the sinners among my people will die by the sword, all those who say, 'Disaster will not overtake or meet us.'

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The construct is wrong. In trying to systematically build it, we have wound up off by a lot in places. Measure twice, cut once, I guess...

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 4:5, But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the difficulty you are having is with the contrast of forgiveness with being justified. To be righteous IS to be justified. In other languages, like French... the word for righteousness is 'la justice". So then indeed to be justified is to be deemed righteous.

Forgiveness is different I think. We forgive people, not because they ARE righteous....but because they are not. Forgiveness is an attitude that says...I want that person to BE righteous...so then my example of forgiveness will help that person. So hopefully our attitude CHANGES into one of righteousness after we have been forgiven. Righteous people still sin...but they can repent, ask forgiveness...make restitution...etc

But for those who continue in unrighteousness after they are forgiven...

Amos 9:10 All the sinners among my people will die by the sword, all those who say, 'Disaster will not overtake or meet us.'

Okay, yes, to be righteous is to be justified. My objection is to HOW it is all used. (Sometimes, by some men.)

Reactions: Episkopos