The Sabbath Day

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Make no mistake Dan, Christians are under law as well, a different covenant, but remember God doesn't change. Many of the laws of the law covenant we are still obligated to observe. In fact that is the basic meaning of sin, missing the mark of God's law. We now call it the law of the Christ. Jesus made it rather clear at Mat 7:21 that it would only be those who does Jehovah's will that will receive salvation sir. It might be interesting to note that out of the 10 Commandments, observing the Sabbath is the only one that we are no longer obligated to obey.
To clarify, I was referring to the law of Moses.

In regards to doing God's will in order to receive salvation:

John 6:40 - For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

In regards to observing the Sabbath day:

Colossians 2:16 - Therefore, no one is to act as your judge in regard to food and drink, or in respect to a festival or a new moon, or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are only a shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How thankful we can be Grace that Christians are no longer bound by that law, everyone I know would have been executed yrs ago including myself.

No human can make a day holy. The OT holiness was really about a shadow of future things. Human efforts or lack of effort does not fulfill the deepest intentions of the law.

That future is now. Although the future is not what it used to be! ;) Now we can obey the Sabbath commandment by entering into Christ...to rest in His life.

First comes the natural and then the spiritual.

Every law of God is fulfilled by entering into Christ. The true Sabbath is to rest from even our own thoughts...and ways of thinking. There is a spiritual alternative now to living according to the flesh...and this fulfills the words of the Lord...

"If you turn away your foot from the sabbath, from doing your pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shall honour him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words:" Is. 58:13

The Sabbath rest of the Lord is a delight....walking in the light...walking in His presence. When we abide in Christ we don't do our own ways, neither do we speak our own words.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Make no mistake Dan, Christians are under law as well, a different covenant, but remember God doesn't change. Many of the laws of the law covenant we are still obligated to observe. In fact that is the basic meaning of sin, missing the mark of God's law. We now call it the law of the Christ. Jesus made it rather clear at Mat 7:21 that it would only be those who does Jehovah's will that will receive salvation sir. It might be interesting to note that out of the 10 Commandments, observing the Sabbath is the only one that we are no longer obligated to obey.

If you put yourself under any of the OT law then you put yourself under all of it. For example, you are still required to sacrifice animals for sin, because that's what the OT law requires.

Matthew 7:21 -- "“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of heaven—only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven." says nothing about the OT law, but doing the Father's will.

If you believe that you are obligated to obey the OT law, including the 10 commandments, then you are obligated to keep the entire OT law. Galatians 3:10, "For all who rely on doing the works of the law are under a curse, because it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not keep on doing everything written in the book of the law.”

That's what Scripture clearly says!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We all need a day of rest each week. I don't know why anyone would complain about that.
And the SDAs should be delighted that they have two days of rest instead of just one. Which means they should have double the energy of everyone else when the work week resumes.:D

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the SDAs should be delighted that they have two days of rest instead of just one. Which means they should have double the energy of everyone else when the work week resumes.:D
And if I rest six days of the week ...

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The topic was the Sabbath Ger, under the law covenant anyone who violated it was to be put to death Nu 15:32-36. Every single individual I know, and likely those you know as well has done work on the Sabbath.
like every single liar Robert Gwin -- anyone who violated the LAW against LYING had AND STILL IS to be put to death - HYPOCRITE - BIGOT!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
says the GOD OF GODS in his own estimation

This is your reply to my post that said that the sabbath is a day off, nothing more, nothing less?

You're out of your mind. I never claimed to be "the GOD OF GODS"; that is simply your absurd fantasy. Why not address the issue of the sabbath instead of a bizarre, ad hominen attack?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
like every single liar Robert Gwin -- anyone who violated the LAW against LYING had AND STILL IS to be put to death - HYPOCRITE - BIGOT!

Why the hate? Clearly Satan is controlling you as his mouthpiece. Can you document where people who lie are put to death? Or is that a lie (from the father of lies)? Should you be out to death for this lie?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never been away. You have never been here, really, always hiding beneath your postman's cap and silly pseudonym.
And now you expect of me to settle down and listen to your STRINGS OF SABBATH LIES also hidden in this here URL. But thanks for it, because now at last I know who you really are. You are the fellow who did not have the guts to reply or to react at all on my persistent reminders to you of these your as unpardonable as unjustifiable mutilations of Sabbath Scriptures. Doggy, down!
You never cease to puzzle me, GE, but I love ya! :p

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It might be interesting to note that out of the 10 Commandments, observing the Sabbath is the only one that we are no longer obligated to obey.
That is a conundrum, isn't it?

Why would God do such an illogical thing?

Let's think about that a minute.

If God accidentally put that 4th Commandment there, not realizing He'd later change His mind and remove it, He wouldn't be God. Would He?

If God put that there knowing that He'd later remove it, that throws all the other Commandments into question. Doesn't it?

If God chose to make a very dramatic gesture of inscribing into stone those Laws that literally define HIM, who He is, and how He see things, putting one Law in among the rest there, that was impermanent, would completely neutralize the effect of writing them in stone to begin with. Wouldn't it?

If God never intended for any of the Laws, that He so dramatically wrote in stone with His own finger twice, to be everlasting, that would mean that sin (the breaking of the 10 Commandments 1 John 3:4) would not be everlasting - which would mean that God would not have any reason at all to send His only Son to earth to die for mankind. Wouldn't it?

So we arrive at a problem, Robert.

See, if that 4th Commandment wasn't supposed to be there, or if it was supposed to be and its transient presence negated all of God's Commandments, that means that sin doesn't exist, that nobody will go to hell, that all mankind is going to heaven (if that even still remains) and that the entire Biblical Saga was all for naught.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! Yet sadly, there are those who wish to remain under the law and even teach "salvation by grace plus law, faith plus works."
Could you possibly give a reference to a post in which someone teaches that we are saved BY our works or that our works are meritorious toward justification (which is the entire means of atonement) in any way?

Because, honestly, such a claim would be absolutely ridiculous.

Sanctification or good works are merely fruit, or offerings.

They have no value whatsoever in worthiness for citizenship in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Our holiest thoughts, words, or deeds are all tainted with the filth of selfish motives.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The devil's efforts to convince folks that they are not bound to obey God know no bounds.

First of all, it is not safe to believe any observation or interpretation of Scripture by @GRACE ambassador, because he is a documented, unconfessed carrier of tales and a false witness. This he completely avoids addressing in any manner whatsoever. When it is pointed out to him, he runs and hides, like a gutless coward.

And the wicked are bereft of understanding (Daniel 12:10).

Second, the 4th commandment was written by the very Son of God, Lord of the Sabbath, Himself (John 1:1, John 1:14) on tablets of stone, before Scripture existed, and which are eternal in their authority. Unless one believes God goofed and put a disposable, ceremonial, Levitical ordinance in the middle of His universal moral code for human beings, which is utterly preposterous.

Third, doubtless, like hundreds of times before, every manner of ill-reasoning and scriptural obscurity will be offered to excuse both the possibly and innocently ignorant and the openly rebellious and hostile from the transgression of God's law, but any true follower of Christ who dares monitor this thread for any amount of time will be hard-pressed indeed to escape or deny the nagging conviction of the Spirit of God concerning this glaring, gaping hole of a matter, which so definitively pertains especially to this closing age of the Christian church.

Either the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good, as the Great Apostle says in Romans 7:12, or it is not.

...to which he was referring as the law of ten commandments (Exodus 20:1-17) when he specified/alluded to the 7th and 10th (as opposed to either of the two great commandments)... or he was not.

Either he meant what he said about circumcision or uncircumcision being inconsequential as opposed to the matter of keeping God's law (1 Corinthians 7:19)... or he did not.

Either the Levitical law changed in Hebrews 7:12 involves and includes the liberty to worship other gods, make idols and bow down to them, take the LORD's name in vain, dishonor father and mother, profane the Sabbath, murder, abuse marital privilege, steal, slander, and covet... or it does not.

Either we believe in and teach for doctrines the commandments of men... or we don't.

Either the Old Testament (which was the only Scripture available in Paul's time), as well as the New, is inspired and profitable for doctrine, for reproof, correction, or instruction in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16)... or it is not.

Either God's Word is forever settled in Heaven...

OR IT IS NOT.

So then you do not eat shellfish?
You do not wear mixed fabrics?
You do no labor on Saturday?
You do not eat pork?
Nor scaleless fish?

or any of the other 613 commands god instructed to Moses for Gods people to obey? After all these are Scripture as well and the only Scripture available in Pauls time! Either Gods Word is settled in heaven or it is not! so do you obey all those other Laws?

But as for the command written in stone? Paul had this to say about them:

2 Corinthians 3:7-12
King James Version

7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.

11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:

He said the laws in stone is a ministration of death!

ALSO:

Romans 14
King James Version

14 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

So Sorry, but the church has no Sabbath.

Reactions: Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could you possibly give a reference to a post in which someone teaches that we are saved BY our works or that our works are meritorious toward justification (which is the entire means of atonement) in any way?

Because, honestly, such a claim would be absolutely ridiculous.

Sanctification or good works are merely fruit, or offerings.

They have no value whatsoever in worthiness for citizenship in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Our holiest thoughts, words, or deeds are all tainted with the filth of selfish motives.

I agree with everything here -- except for the strange last sentence. I don't agree at all with the idea that our holiest thoughts, words, or deeds are all tainted with the filth of selfish motives. You may be speaking for yourself, but if so, I feel sorry for you.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
You err in your interpretation in that the ministration of righteousness IS the 10 Commandments.

For the Law is good and holy.
Romans 7:12
1 Timothy 1:8
James 1:25
Psalms 19:7
So Sorry, but the church has no Sabbath.
It's ok. They do.

Funny enough, the modern mainstream church actually does claim a Sabbath. It just claims that it is on Sunday.

Vestiges of its overwhelming influence from the Catholic Church - who admits to changing the day from Saturday to Sunday.

The Protestant churches all believe they are doing their own thing, apart from Catholicism. All the while, they are observing many of the same doctrines.

That is what the unwitting church member has to trudge through on a daily basis since the majority of them will not pick up a Bible and learn for themselves what God has to say about it all. They are all led into a ditch by the blind leaders they pledge their trust in rather than God Almighty and His Word.
2 Thessalonians 2:10

Reactions: BarneyFife

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you put yourself under any of the OT law then you put yourself under all of it. For example, you are still required to sacrifice animals for sin, because that's what the OT law requires.

Matthew 7:21 -- "“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of heaven—only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven." says nothing about the OT law, but doing the Father's will.

If you believe that you are obligated to obey the OT law, including the 10 commandments, then you are obligated to keep the entire OT law. Galatians 3:10, "For all who rely on doing the works of the law are under a curse, because it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not keep on doing everything written in the book of the law.”

That's what Scripture clearly says!
This is a false argument, particularly because Paul was not teaching against the Law. He was teaching against Pharisaical traditions. Gal. 6:12-13 even shows that this is what Paul was actually teaching against, and yet a lot of "Christians" still attempt to apply his words to the Sabbath. It's as dishonest and pathetic as it gets.

Another reason why this argument is foolish is because Deut. 5:22 shows that the Decalouge is a complete law by itself. That's exactly why Paul doesn't always specifically refer it to when the word "law" appears in his letters. The context of any given passage reveal whether he is referring to the Decalogue, the Torah as a whole, a specific ritual law in the Torah, or a man-made law like the Pharisees' traditions, or a secular law.

The only laws Paul ever address in Galatians are the tabernacle/temple laws that symbolized Christ's work and the Pharisees' traditions. The point Paul was making to the Pharisaical converts was that if they wanted to push the idea that physical circumcision would save someone, then they might as well go back to sacrificing animals and all of the other temple rituals.

This point tends to consistently fly over antinomians' head because they'd rather twist Paul's words to support their dishonest and clearly unbibilical beliefs. If Paul was anti-Sabbath as "Christians" make him out to be, he would've insisted that his Gentile audience in Acts 13 hear him preach on Sunday instead of Sabbath.