The Sabbath...keep It Forever With Works!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That's what many fail to understand it isn't about any day not Saturday not Sunday nor any other Day. Christ said he is our Rest.. sabbath simply means rest ...we are to rest in him Sabbath in him everyday we are not to worship one day week but everyday we are to rest in him always. The Sabbath day was a day of Rest to stop your work and think upon God and thank him.... Christ said he came to fulfill this (become it ) not change it....He is OUR REST OUR SABBATH Worshing on this day or that day isnt going to save you nor condem you Who you rest i.e.Sabbath in, and trust in is.

Some of your comments need a response Christina in case some people get the wrong idea. If you look up Bullfighter's #17 comment, you will see that it is all about a specific day. The Sabbath si one of the 10 commandments. If it is no longer valid, neither are the other nine because they are all law. To say we are not under law, we are under grace means that all the 10 commandments have been done away with.

The 10 commandments were not done away with under the New Covenant. What was done away with was the ordinances in Leviticus. Notice that Jesus said "If you love me, keep my COMMANDMENTS." If they had been done away with, he would not have said that.

The other thing is that you have mixed up the sabbath day with the sabbath rest. The sabbath day was made for man, not the other way around. The reason for that, just as God rested on the seventh day when he created everything, he was giving man a day to rest as well to forget about his labours and to refresh himself and remember God. The sabbath rest is where we cease from our striving, so it is a continuous experience which draws on the life of Christ for our whole being. In other words, a ceasing of our spiritual labours to take on the yoke of Jesus because his burden is light. We celebrate both for different reasons.

revdw76

Jan 12, 2010
Richland City, Indiana
The sabbath day to me is the day of the week i set aside to worship and rest rather sat. or sun. or wen. or mon.but my choice would be with you and the lord whichever day we choose. remember a delight, holy of the lord, honarableIsa. 58;12.

AMEN Brother! It didn't specify a day of the week. In Genesis it says on the seventh day God rested from His labors. It did not say On Saturday God rested from His labors. Of course it also says "one day with the LORD is as a thousand years with man and a thousands years with man is as but one day with God so, imho, we may have not reached the Sabbath day of rest yet. We are probably close but not yet.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
AMEN Brother! It didn't specify a day of the week. In Genesis it says on the seventh day God rested from His labors. It did not say On Saturday God rested from His labors. Of course it also says "one day with the LORD is as a thousand years with man and a thousands years with man is as but one day with God so, imho, we may have not reached the Sabbath day of rest yet. We are probably close but not yet.

Hallo David, I have been ordained since 1953 so there are some points you might like to consider. Of course it does not say that God rested from his labours on Saturday because the word Saturday did not exist at creation. The same as Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday did not exist at creation. That being the case, One cannot claim Saturday or Sunday as God's day of rest.

What we can claim is the seventh day. The seventh day in scriptures is known as the sabbath. The first day isn't so could I ask you, what is the seventh day called today. There is only one answer and that is Saturday. Sunday is not and has never been the seventh day.

In giving the 10 commandments God said that the fourth one is remember the sabbath day to keep it holy. He didn't say say Saturday or Sunday. He said the sabbath. It is very obvious that God called the seventh day the sabbath. That being the case, one should not be surpised that the Jews celebrate the seventh day...Saturday as the sabbath. In actual fact, from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.

Now, as we are told that if we love him, we will keep his commandments. Not nine of them. All 10. You will have probably noticed that the church generally keeps the other nine commandments (EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE THOSE WHO SAY WE ARE NOT UNDER THE LAW) so it is illogical and disobedient to keep any other day than the seventh day as the sabbath where we cease from our labours.

It has nothing to do with a thousands years or days. It is what it says it is. The seventh day. 24 hours as we know it. God in his grace has given us that day to rest, relax, and enjoy the blessing of his company without interruption. Thankyou Lord for giving us a day of rest to enjoy your presence.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So you wantto keep the sabbath, fine, but here i the other 612 laws that go with it that you have to keep as well. Remeber this, there is no redemption from the law. You have to obsereve every law to the letter, without fail. So next time you look at a women and the incorrect thought pops into you head, you have broken the law, and are condemned to hell, no grace for you chose the law.

Here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_mitzvot

I still dont understand, why you want to keep the law, we gentiles never had the law it ws given to the israelites for instruction, to show them what was sin, now we have the holy spirirt to convict us, we came to Christ under grace. Is it that you are trying to prove to Christ that you are rightous, for you fall short of the glory of God as we all . There is only one that is found worthy to open the lamsbook of life and it isnt you, Doesnt that say something.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Hallo David, I have been ordained since 1953 so there are some points you might like to consider. Of course it does not say that God rested from his labours on Saturday because the word Saturday did not exist at creation. The same as Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday did not exist at creation. That being the case, One cannot claim Saturday or Sunday as God's day of rest.

What we can claim is the seventh day. The seventh day in scriptures is known as the sabbath. The first day isn't so could I ask you, what is the seventh day called today. There is only one answer and that is Saturday. Sunday is not and has never been the seventh day.

In giving the 10 commandments God said that the fourth one is remember the sabbath day to keep it holy. He didn't say say Saturday or Sunday. He said the sabbath. It is very obvious that God called the seventh day the sabbath. That being the case, one should not be surpised that the Jews celebrate the seventh day...Saturday as the sabbath. In actual fact, from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.

Now, as we are told that if we love him, we will keep his commandments. Not nine of them. All 10. You will have probably noticed that the church generally keeps the other nine commandments (EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE THOSE WHO SAY WE ARE NOT UNDER THE LAW) so it is illogical and disobedient to keep any other day than the seventh day as the sabbath where we cease from our labours.

It has nothing to do with a thousands years or days. It is what it says it is. The seventh day. 24 hours as we know it. God in his grace has given us that day to rest, relax, and enjoy the blessing of his company without interruption. Thankyou Lord for giving us a day of rest to enjoy your presence.

In the old covenant what did the priests that had temple duty do on the sabbath?

JarBreaker

Apr 6, 2010
So you wantto keep the sabbath, fine, but here i the other 612 laws that go with it that you have to keep as well. Remeber this, there is no redemption from the law. You have to obsereve every law to the letter, without fail. So next time you look at a women and the incorrect thought pops into you head, you have broken the law, and are condemned to hell, no grace for you chose the law.

Here http://en.wikipedia....iki/613_mitzvot

I still dont understand, why you want to keep the law, we gentiles never had the law it ws given to the israelites for instruction, to show them what was sin, now we have the holy spirirt to convict us, we came to Christ under grace. Is it that you are trying to prove to Christ that you are rightous, for you fall short of the glory of God as we all . There is only one that is found worthy to open the lamsbook of life and it isnt you, Doesnt that say something.

ex 12:49
One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

Also, before you go on about all these 613 that EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US are beholden to ... count for yourself and find out that, (1) some are only for men, (2) some are only for women, (3) some are for the priesthood only (tribe of Levi), (4) some are actually for the land itself, (5) some are for diseases (which may or may not exist in a form known today) ... and even for a disease of BUILDINGS (or mold) ... and finally many that cant be observed without a temple, which are the only ones our Savior took away/finished/ or fulfilled.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Ah, and the debate continues, and continues. This is a Christian forum right? So, us being Christians believe the Word of God,,,,,, Right?
Let's discuss this, or as the Lord has said,,, "Come let us reason together"

Romans 14.

Him that is weak in the faith receive you, but not to doubtful disputations. 2 For one believes that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eats herbs. 3 Let not him that eats despise him that eats not; and let not him which eats not judge him that eats: for God has received him. 4 Who are you that judge another man's servant? to his own master he stands or falls. Yes, he shall be held up: for God is able to make him stand.
5 One man esteems one day above another: another esteems every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regards the day, regards it to the Lord; and he that regards not the day, to the Lord he does not regard it. He that eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he that eats not, to the Lord he eats not, and gives God thanks. 7 For none of us lives to himself, and no man dies to himself. 8 For whether we live, we live to the Lord; and whether we die, we die to the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. 9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

10 But why do you judge your brother? or why do you set at nothing your brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

11 For it is written, As I live, said the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumbling block or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. 14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteems any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 But if your brother be grieved with your meat, now walk you not charitably. Destroy not him with your meat, for whom Christ died. 16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of: 17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. 18 For he that in these things serves Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men. 19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things with which one may edify another. 20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eats with offense. 21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby your brother stumbles, or is offended, or is made weak. 22 Have you faith? have it to yourself before God. Happy is he that comdemns not himself in that thing which he allows. 23 And he that doubts is damned if he eat, because he eats not of faith: for whatever is not of faith is sin.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Just to clear up an obvious misunderstanding. The 612 were not commandments they were ordinances. There were only 10 commandments, given to Moses on tablets of stone. The 612 came later.

Note Luke 1:6 And they were both righteous before God, walking blameless in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord. Note that commandments were not ordinances and visa versa. If they were one and the same thing, they would not have different names and be referred to differently.

Note Rom 2:26 If then the uncircumcision keeps the ordinances of the Law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? here they are referred to as the ordinances of the law, so there are ordinances and the law, two different things.

Note Eph 2:15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity (the Law of commandments contained in ordinances) so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, making peace between them; The law of commandments contained in the ...10 commandments? No contained in ordinances.

Note Col 2:14 blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and has taken it out of the way, nailing it to the cross. Ordinances, not commandments were blotted out on the cross.

Note Col 2:20 If then you died with Christ from the elements of the world, why, as though living in the world, are you subject to its ordinances: Not subject to its laws as we are subject to them, but to its ordinances.

Note Heb 9:1 Then truly the first tabernacle had also ordinances of divine service and an earthly sanctuary. There was no mention of the tabernacle in the 10 commandments so this could not be referring to them, indicating that ordinances were a seperate set of instructions and the ones we are set free from.

Note Heb 9:10 which stood only in meats and drinks, and different kinds of washings and fleshly ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation. Note it is "fleshly" ordinances, things pertaining to day to day living which the Jews were required to follow. There is no reference to meat or drink or washings in the 10 commandments so it could not be referring to them.

If you look at the Greek for the two words, commandments in the NT is virtually the same for every reference. It means commandment; precept; mandate; charge; command. Sounds like something that is given by a superrior to someoone lower in the ranks.

Ordinances on the other hand have a broader meaning and is referring to a different subject all together. It means statutes and decisions; Jewish traditionary law; decree or ordinance; civil, ceremonial or eccleiastical law; ceremonial rule.

From these definitions, it is obvious that they are quite different. Jesus said "if you love me, keep my...ordinances???. No, he said keep my commandments. All 10 of them. He did not give us the option of picking and choosing. If we say that we do not need to observe the Sabbath, we are saying we don't have to keep the other nine so it is OK to murder.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ah, and the debate continues, and continues. This is a Christian forum right? So, us being Christians believe the Word of God,,,,,, Right?
Let's discuss this, or as the Lord has said,,, "Come let us reason together"

Romans 14.

Him that is weak in the faith receive you, but not to doubtful disputations. 2 For one believes that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eats herbs. 3 Let not him that eats despise him that eats not; and let not him which eats not judge him that eats: for God has received him. 4 Who are you that judge another man's servant? to his own master he stands or falls. Yes, he shall be held up: for God is able to make him stand.
5 One man esteems one day above another: another esteems every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regards the day, regards it to the Lord; and he that regards not the day, to the Lord he does not regard it. He that eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he that eats not, to the Lord he eats not, and gives God thanks. 7 For none of us lives to himself, and no man dies to himself. 8 For whether we live, we live to the Lord; and whether we die, we die to the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. 9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

10 But why do you judge your brother? or why do you set at nothing your brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

11 For it is written, As I live, said the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumbling block or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. 14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteems any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 But if your brother be grieved with your meat, now walk you not charitably. Destroy not him with your meat, for whom Christ died. 16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of: 17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. 18 For he that in these things serves Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men. 19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things with which one may edify another. 20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eats with offense. 21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby your brother stumbles, or is offended, or is made weak. 22 Have you faith? have it to yourself before God. Happy is he that comdemns not himself in that thing which he allows. 23 And he that doubts is damned if he eat, because he eats not of faith: for whatever is not of faith is sin.
This passage of scripture is regularly raised to show that we are not required to keep the sabbath. This is quite wrong as it is not the purpose of it. Good writers announce the topic of their section or chapter at the beginning. This one is very clear as it says "Accept him whose faith is weak without passing judgment on disputable matters."

He is not setting out rules and regulations for the church. It is a dissertation about how to deal with a weak brother. As you will note that it is all about walking charitably with your brother so don't dispute with him things to do with meat eating,drinking wine, things clean and unclean and choice of days. It does not imply at all that we ignore the fourth commandment. It won't affect your salvation if you do, but it does show that you don't love him.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
In the old covenant what did the priests that had temple duty do on the sabbath?

Marksman, my question was directed towards you but it seems it got buried in the thread. Got an answer?
smile.gif

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
This passage of scripture is regularly raised to show that we are not required to keep the sabbath. This is quite wrong as it is not the purpose of it. Good writers announce the topic of their section or chapter at the beginning. This one is very clear as it says "Accept him whose faith is weak without passing judgment on disputable matters."

He is not setting out rules and regulations for the church. It is a dissertation about how to deal with a weak brother. As you will note that it is all about walking charitably with your brother so don't dispute with him things to do with meat eating,drinking wine, things clean and unclean and choice of days.
It does not imply at all that we ignore the fourth commandment.
It won't affect your salvation if you do, but it does show that you don't love him.

If you go back, to the first time "Sabbath" is mentioned in Scripture, you
will see that it is associated with the Manna cycle in Exodus 16. The
people ran out of food and complained to Moses. God then told Moses
to tell the people to begin gathering manna for six days and then there
would be none on the seventh day (Ex. 16:4, 5).

The people would always know when Friday was, because there would
be twice as much manna to carry them through the Sabbath, when there
was no manna at all. In other words, the timing of the Sabbath was
established by the manna itself. The start of this manna cycle is dated
in verse 1 as being "the fifteenth day of the second month after their
departure from the land of Egypt."

This is the day which God had in mind to become the Second Passover
(Num. 9). Recall that if a person could not keep the regular Passover,
due to being on a long journey or being unclean from touching a dead
body, then he was to keep it a month later.

And so the manna cycle coincided with the Second Passover and is thus
tied to this feast insofar as commemoration is concerned.

Likewise, we can see this from another perspective. God gave the law
twice under Moses. The first law was Exodus; the second was
Deuteronomy. The Exodus law was given at Sinai just two months after
Israel left Egypt. The Deuteronomy law was given in the plains of Moab
just before Moses died forty years later.

In the Exodus law, the Sabbath was to be kept holy, "for in six days the
Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them,
and rested on the seventh day" (Ex. 20:11).

In the Deuteronomy law (5:15), the commemoration was different:

15 "And you shall remember that you were a slave in the land
of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out of there by a
mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore [for this
reason] the Lord your God commanded you to observe the
Sabbath day."

The difference is due to the fact that the people believed the evil report
of the ten spies in Numbers 13 and 14. Something changed after the
Exodus law was given to them. The people were scheduled to enter
God's Rest on the 50th Jubilee from Adam. Caleb and Joshua urged
them to have faith, but they refused. Heb. 3:19 says, "And so we see
that they were not able to enter because of unbelief."

Again, in Heb. 4:3 we read,

3 "For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has
said: 'As I swore in My wrath, they shall not enter MY REST'."

The Exodus law speaks of God's Rest, which was the origin of the
Creation Jubilee calendar. If they had entered the Promised Land
on the 50th Jubilee, they would have entered God's Rest. Their
Sabbath land-rests would have begun on a Jubilee, they would have
entered the land on the Feast of Tabernacles, and their calendar
would have aligned with the Creation Rest of God.

However, they lacked faith, and so they entered the land 38 years
later (Deut. 2:14). Neither were they allowed to enter at Tabernacles,
but reverted back to the Passover, since this was their level of faith.
(They all had faith to leave Egypt at Passover.) Hence, their Sabbaths
commemorated Passover, as Deut. 5:15 indicates.

Logabe

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
If you go back, to the first time "Sabbath" is mentioned in Scripture, you
will see that it is associated with the Manna cycle in Exodus 16. The
people ran out of food and complained to Moses. God then told Moses
to tell the people to begin gathering manna for six days and then there
would be none on the seventh day (Ex. 16:4, 5).

The people would always know when Friday was, because there would
be twice as much manna to carry them through the Sabbath, when there
was no manna at all. In other words, the timing of the Sabbath was
established by the manna itself. The start of this manna cycle is dated
in verse 1 as being "the fifteenth day of the second month after their
departure from the land of Egypt."

This is the day which God had in mind to become the Second Passover
(Num. 9). Recall that if a person could not keep the regular Passover,
due to being on a long journey or being unclean from touching a dead
body, then he was to keep it a month later.

And so the manna cycle coincided with the Second Passover and is thus
tied to this feast insofar as commemoration is concerned.

Likewise, we can see this from another perspective. God gave the law
twice under Moses. The first law was Exodus; the second was
Deuteronomy. The Exodus law was given at Sinai just two months after
Israel left Egypt. The Deuteronomy law was given in the plains of Moab
just before Moses died forty years later.

In the Exodus law, the Sabbath was to be kept holy, "for in six days the
Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them,
and rested on the seventh day" (Ex. 20:11).

In the Deuteronomy law (5:15), the commemoration was different:

15 "And you shall remember that you were a slave in the land
of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out of there by a
mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore [for this
reason] the Lord your God commanded you to observe the
Sabbath day."

The difference is due to the fact that the people believed the evil report
of the ten spies in Numbers 13 and 14. Something changed after the
Exodus law was given to them. The people were scheduled to enter
God's Rest on the 50th Jubilee from Adam. Caleb and Joshua urged
them to have faith, but they refused. Heb. 3:19 says, "And so we see
that they were not able to enter because of unbelief."

Again, in Heb. 4:3 we read,

3 "For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has
said: 'As I swore in My wrath, they shall not enter MY REST'."

The Exodus law speaks of God's Rest, which was the origin of the
Creation Jubilee calendar. If they had entered the Promised Land
on the 50th Jubilee, they would have entered God's Rest. Their
Sabbath land-rests would have begun on a Jubilee, they would have
entered the land on the Feast of Tabernacles, and their calendar
would have aligned with the Creation Rest of God.

However, they lacked faith, and so they entered the land 38 years
later (Deut. 2:14). Neither were they allowed to enter at Tabernacles,
but reverted back to the Passover, since this was their level of faith.
(They all had faith to leave Egypt at Passover.) Hence, their Sabbaths
commemorated Passover, as Deut. 5:15 indicates.

Logabe

Excellent post Logabe, thank you.
smile.gif

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Excellent post Logabe, thank you.[
img]http://www.christianityboard.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

You're welcome Jiggyfly... let's try to finish this lesson so it will
make a little more sense to everyone.

Each Kingdom has its unique Sabbath focus. Israel's Sabbath
hinged upon Passover ( the Second Passover). When Moses
gave the Second Law (Deuteronomy), the Sabbath commemorated
Israel's deliverance from Egypt, rather than God's Rest as such
(Deut. 5:15). Israel was delivered at Passover. So it is no surprise
that God would bring Israel into Canaan at the time of Passover,
rather than at Tabernacles.

It was a Passover Kingdom, having a Passover Sabbath, that
reflected a Passover-level of Faith. Yet they were not allowed to
enter God's Rest (Heb. 4:3). Verse 9 says,

9 "There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of
God."

The point is that Israel had a Sabbath, but it was not the one originally
intended, nor was it the highest "rest" that God had for us. Their
Sabbath reflected their Passover level of faith and not God's Rest,
which is the Jubilee.

There are three levels of Sabbath, even as there were three Sabbaths
in Scripture. There was the Sabbath DAY, the Sabbath YEAR, and the
Jubilee. These parallel Passover, Pentecost, and Jubilee/Tabernacles.
Only the third one is truly God's Rest, as the book of Hebrews describes.

Hebrews 4 tells us that the people could not enter God's Rest because
of unbelief--that is, lack of faith. The people did have sufficient faith to
leave Egypt at Passover, so it can be said that they had faith on Level
One. But by the time they arrived at Sinai for Pentecost, they ought to
have had faith on Level Two, going (as Paul says) "from faith to faith"
(Rom. 1:17).

Jesus' death on the cross shows us what Passover was about. It
prophesied of His death, even as the lambs were to be killed. But
this death was followed by His resurrection and presentation as the
Son of God in the Temple in heaven. This presentation was marked
by the waving of the sheaf of barley in the temple on earth at the third
hour of the day on the Sunday following Passover.

The point is that the wave-sheaf offering was always held on a Sunday,
and that this began seven Sabbath cycles. They are called "seven
Sabbaths" in the law (Lev. 23:15), and yet they begin on "the day after
the Sabbath." Obviously, the law was speaking of two different Sabbaths,
one on Saturday, and the other on Sunday.

Whereas one remembers Christ's Death (Passover), the other
remembers Christ's Resurrection, Presentation, and the giving of
the Holy Spirit on Pentecost. The Pentecostal Sabbath marks the
transition into God's Rest, which is associated with the Jubilee and
the Feast of Tabernacles. The disciples in the upper room in Acts 2
overcame the lack of faith found in their forefathers at Mount Sinai,
where they refused to hear God's voice in Exodus 20:18-21. The
120 disciples overcame where Israel failed.

This greater Faith brought about a greater Kingdom. Even so, Pentecost
was not meant to be the final result, nor could it fulfill the provisions of
God's Rest. God's Rest is discussed in Heb. 4:10,

10 "For the one who has entered His rest has himself also
rested from his works, as God did from His."

This is set forth more fully in Isaiah 58:13,

13 "If because of the Sabbath, you turn your foot from doing
your own pleasure [work] on My holy day, and . . . speaking
your own word."

God's Rest, then, is manifested by Jesus Christ Himself, who did
nothing but what He saw his Father do, and said nothing except
what He heard His Father say. It is not about idleness, but about
ceasing from one's own works and words. This is God's Rest, and
anyone who does this has entered God's Rest. Everything they do
and say springs from the position of REST. It is all a Rest-work.
This is the ultimate meaning of a Jubilee, where all bondage ceases.

The Sabbath-day Rest, then, is designed to give us a first-level type
of Rest. The Sabbath-year Rest increases the scope and depth of
the release and Rest. The Jubilee brings it to the highest level of
God's Rest, where we cease permanently from doing and saying
anything that is not in accordance with the heart and mind of God.

The first and eighth day of Tabernacles are also Sabbaths. It may be
that when this feast is fulfilled historically, while the overcomers have
entered God's Rest, the rest of the believers will begin to commemorate
seven-day rest cycles with a new starting point, based upon the first and
eighth day of Tabernacles. If so, the reason would be to draw attention to
the goal of all believers--to enter God's Rest, even as the overcomers
have done.

If so, it would indicate another change in the Sabbath, based upon
divine laws that are not yet clarified.

Logabe

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Marksman, my question was directed towards you but it seems it got buried in the thread. Got an answer?
smile.gif
Being a trained teacher I have a habit of making my students think for themselves. Can I suggest that you find out the answer to your question and then post it and I will comment on it. That way you will learn more than if I just tell you.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Unless I have misunderstood what you have said, I would like to make a few comments.

LOGABE: The people would always know when Friday was, because there would be twice as much manna to carry them through the Sabbath, when there was no manna at all. In other words, the timing of the Sabbath was established by the manna itself. The start of this manna cycle is dated in verse 1 as being "the fifteenth day of the second month after their departure from the land of Egypt."

]I don't think this quite correct if you look at Exodus 20:11 For in six days Jehovah made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all which is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; on account of this Jehovah blessed the sabbath day and sanctified it. A very clear reference to the fact that God rested on the seventh day in Genesis and on account of this he blessed the sabbath (seventh day). This tells me it was established on the 7th day of creation.

LOGABE: And so the manna cycle coincided with the Second Passover and is thus tied to this feast insofar as commemoration is concerned.

Except that the Passover was once a year, the sabbath every week.

LOGABE: Likewise, we can see this from another perspective. God gave the law twice under Moses. The first law was Exodus; the second was Deuteronomy. The Exodus law was given at Sinai just two months after Israel left Egypt. The Deuteronomy law was given in the plains of Moab just before Moses died forty years later.

That is not the case. The law was not given a second time by God. It was repeated by Moses to remind the people.

LOGABE: This is the day which God had in mind to become the Second Passover (Num. 9). Recall that if a person could not keep the regular Passover, due to being on a long journey or being unclean from touching a dead body, then he was to keep it a month later.

Except that there is no mention of the sabath in this passage so no connection is made.
The Exodus law speaks of God's Rest, No, it speaks of God's day of rest, the seventh day known as the sabbath.

LOGABE: 3 "For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said: 'As I swore in My wrath, they shall not enter MY REST'."

This passage has nothing to do with the seventh day rest.

LOGABE: However, they lacked faith, and so they entered the land 38 years later (Deut. 2:14). Neither were they allowed to enter at Tabernacles, but reverted back to the Passover, since this was their level of faith. (They all had faith to leave Egypt at Passover.) Hence, their Sabbaths commemorated Passover, as Deut. 5:15 indicates.[/size]

The sabbath commemorates their deliverance from Egypt

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Being a trained teacher I have a habit of making my students think for themselves. Can I suggest that you find out the answer to your question and then post it and I will comment on it. That way you will learn more than if I just tell you.

I already know the answer it was a question to you.
smile.gif

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Unless I have misunderstood what you have said, I would like to make a few comments.

LOGABE: The people would always know when Friday was, because there would be twice as much manna to carry them through the Sabbath, when there was no manna at all. In other words, the timing of the Sabbath was established by the manna itself. The start of this manna cycle is dated in verse 1 as being "the fifteenth day of the second month after their departure from the land of Egypt."

]I don't think this quite correct if you look at Exodus 20:11 For in six days Jehovah made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all which is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; on account of this Jehovah blessed the sabbath day and sanctified it. A very clear reference to the fact that God rested on the seventh day in Genesis and on account of this he blessed the sabbath (seventh day). This tells me it was established on the 7th day of creation.

LOGABE: And so the manna cycle coincided with the Second Passover and is thus tied to this feast insofar as commemoration is concerned.

Except that the Passover was once a year, the sabbath every week.

LOGABE: Likewise, we can see this from another perspective. God gave the law twice under Moses. The first law was Exodus; the second was Deuteronomy. The Exodus law was given at Sinai just two months after Israel left Egypt. The Deuteronomy law was given in the plains of Moab just before Moses died forty years later.

That is not the case. The law was not given a second time by God. It was repeated by Moses to remind the people.

LOGABE: This is the day which God had in mind to become the Second Passover (Num. 9). Recall that if a person could not keep the regular Passover, due to being on a long journey or being unclean from touching a dead body, then he was to keep it a month later.

Except that there is no mention of the sabath in this passage so no connection is made.
The Exodus law speaks of God's Rest, No, it speaks of God's day of rest, the seventh day known as the sabbath.

LOGABE: 3 "For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said: 'As I swore in My wrath, they shall not enter MY REST'."

[
i]This passage has nothing to do with the seventh day rest. [/i]

LOGABE: However, they lacked faith, and so they entered the land 38 years later (Deut. 2:14). Neither were they allowed to enter at Tabernacles, but reverted back to the Passover, since this was their level of faith. (They all had faith to leave Egypt at Passover.) Hence, their Sabbaths commemorated Passover, as Deut. 5:15 indicates.[/size]

The sabbath commemorates their deliverance from Egypt

The Fourth Commandment says in Exodus 20:8, "Remember the Sabbath
day to keep it holy."

Sabbath means "rest; cessation." Holy means "set apart for divine service."

The Fourth Commandment brings up the subject of holidays ("Holy Days"),
including feast days and other times of "cessation" from the normal routine
of work. Man needs periodic rest in order to function in a healthy way. So the
first-level rest is on the seventh day from whenever the work began.

Secondly, there is a land-rest every seven years (Lev. 25:2-7). No one was
to sow crops in that year, and whatever grew of itself was freely available to
whoever wanted to gather it. Verses 6-7 read,

6 And all of you shall have the sabbath products of the land for food;
yourself, and your male and female slaves, and your hired man and
your foreign resident, those who live as aliens with you.
7 Even your cattle and the animals that are in your land shall have
all its crops to eat.

In other words, since God owns all the land (Lev. 25:23), He requires that
all natural production in the seventh year belongs to Him, and He gives it to
all creatures on earth for the mere cost of their labor in gathering it.

Like all other laws, this reveals His sovereignty over all that He has created.
Secondly, it reveals His love and concern for all that He has created, both
man and beast, bond or free, Israelite and alien.

Also, debts were released every seven years (Deut. 31:10). Anyone who
was making yearly payments on debt would not be required to make such
payments in the seventh year. This is because their main source of income
was farming in those days, and in a land-rest year, they would have no
income with which to make the payment.

Every 50th year the Reset button was pushed. All remaining debt was
cancelled, and everyone returned to his land inheritance, if he had lost it
through debt (Lev. 25:10).

In the Jubilee year, the land then reverts back to its original inheritor and
the Reset button is pushed ( the Trumpet of the Jubilee).

From this we see that in the Kingdom of God, time is measured in sevens.
After seven days comes an eighth day, which is also the first day of the week.
After seven years comes the eighth year, which is also the first year of the
next sabbath cycle. After seven sevens (49) comes the Year of Jubilee. It is
the 50th year, but it is also the first year of the next Jubilee cycle.

Thus, in counting Jubilee years, one cannot count by 50's, but by cycles of
49 years. Hence, ten Jubilees is not 500 years, but only 490 years. That is
why Daniel's 70 weeks speaks of "weeks" of sabbath land-rest years, and
it is 10 Jubilees, or 490 years long.

Time is measured in sevens. Judicial matters are measured in tens (Exodus
18:19-22). Governmental (political) matters are measured in twelves, such as
the division of the land into twelve states (tribes).

The Sabbath law, therefore, divides time by sevens. Any study of prophecy
must take this into account, because these "sevens" apply not only in short-
term prophecy (a cycle of 49 years), but also in long-term cycles that go
beyond this. Often they are in multiples of 49.

Now there was a basic disagreement between the Pharisees and the
Sadducees in the time of the New Testament. They disagreed on the
meaning of "Sabbath" in Lev. 23:11,

11 "And he shall wave the sheaf before the Lord for you to be accepted;
on the day after the Sabbath the priest shall wave it."

The Pharisees said, "This Sabbath is the Passover itself," ( Abib 15). The
Sadducees said, "This Sabbath is the week-day Sabbath," which was the
first Sunday after Passover and could be as late as Abib 21 in some years.
In the time of the New Testament, the Sadducees were in control of the Temple.
(See Acts 4:1.) So their viewpoint was actually being implemented in the temple
rituals at that time.

I believe that the Sadducees were biblically correct in this particular interpretation
of Scripture. The wave-sheaf offering was always to be waved on a Sunday,
whether Passover fell on a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday.

Pentecost was seven weeks later--also on a Sunday, because once again, this
was the day that the Church was presenting themselves to God as Sons of the
Wheat Harvest. The link between barley and wheat is the seven-week period
called "counting the omer." They took an omer of barley and counted some of
the grains each day, ending with Pentecost. This was meant to provide a
connecting link between the wave-sheaf and Pentecost.

There was divine purpose to the law mandating that the barley and wheat
offerings both would be offered on an eighth day. Both signified the presentation
of the Sons, first the Son (1 Cor. 15:23) and later the Sons (James 1:18). The
law prophesied the timing of these events in the future. The barley and wheat
offerings were the outworking of the law of the first-born in Exodus 22:29 and

Likewise, there is yet another presentation of the Sons that will take place in the
future. It is the fulfillment of the feast of Tabernacles. In that case, the Sons will
be "born" on the first day of Tabernacles and presented to God on the eighth day.

The law in Ex. 20:9 says, "six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the
seventh day is a Sabbath of the Lord your God." In other words, six days of labor
prepares a person for a seventh-day rest. In the same manner, a seven-day
cycle prepares a Son for an eighth day presentation. Hence, seven days of
consecration of the priests in Lev. 8:35 prepared them for the manifestation of
the glory of God on the eighth day (Lev. 9:1). Seven days of Tabernacles (Lev.
23:34) prepares the people for the eighth day ceremony (lev. 23:36).

In other words, the purpose of a seven-day cycle is to prepare for the eighth
day. Anyone who stops with the seventh day will miss the whole point of the
Sabbath cycle. In the case of Jesus' resurrection and the wave-sheaf offering,
we can see that His death at Passover was the requirement to be raised from
the dead and presented on the eighth day.

Logabe

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

It depends what you mean by the law. If it is the ordinances that were given to the Jews, no we don't keep them because they were done away with at the cross. If you mean the 10 commandments, they are not the law, they are the commandments and Jesus said "if you love me, keep my commandments."

You can't keep some of them and reject others. It is either all or nothing. If it is nothing as the post implies, then it is OK to murder and commit adultery.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
9 "There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of
God."

The point is that Israel had a Sabbath, but it was not the one originally
intended, nor was it the highest "rest" that God had for us. Their
Sabbath reflected their Passover level of faith and not God's Rest,
which is the Jubilee.

Logabe

I woulkd like to suggest that this pure speculation and has no basis in scripture.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
[font="tahoma][size="2"]
marksman, on 30 May 2010 - 09:15 PM, said:

[/size][/font]

[font="tahoma][size="3"] [/size][/font]I already know the answer it was a question to you.
smile.gif

Seems we share the same method of teaching, if you don't know what the temple priests did on the sabbath I can help you find the answer.
smile.gif