The song of Mary- an unorthodox perspective

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No – it's because I believe that Scripture is God-breathed (2 Tim. 3:16).
I understand if YOU don’t – but if it is stated in Scripture – it’s true.

If God can speak the universe into existence – why is the virgin birth such a tough thing to believe?
How do YOU think the universe was created?

BTW - I HAVE read the last page of posts. I guess I’m a little puzzled because the posters all claim to be “Christian”.
Like I ‘said – there is plenty if Scriptural evidence.
Genesis 24:67 KJV
[67] And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death.
Matthew 1:24 KJV
[24] Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:

So how is it Joseph took Mary to be his wife

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[67] And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death.
[24] Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:

So how is it Joseph took Mary to be his wife?
Choosing two out-of-context quotes from a 412-year-old translation to "prove" a point actually proves one fact: you are confused and wrong.

Genesis 24:67, "Then Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah’s tent. He took Rebekah, and she became his wife, and he loved her. So Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death.

Matthew 1:24-25, "When Joseph awoke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took her as his wife but had no marital relations with her until she had given birth to a son, and he named him Jesus.

Both selections from the NRSVue, but every decent modern translation is similar.

I strongly suggest that in order to prevent further eisegesis you switch to a better translation, one that doesn't butcher the text by dividing it into separate verses and makes the meaning clear to those of us who read-write-think in modern English.

Reactions: Johann

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Choosing two out-of-context quotes from a 412-year-old translation to "prove" a point actually proves one fact: you are confused and wrong.

Genesis 24:67, "Then Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah’s tent. He took Rebekah, and she became his wife, and he loved her. So Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death.

Matthew 1:24-25, "When Joseph awoke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took her as his wife but had no marital relations with her until she had given birth to a son, and he named him Jesus.

Both selections from the NRSVue, but every decent modern translation is similar.

I strongly suggest that in order to prevent further eisegesis you switch to a better translation, one that doesn't butcher the text by dividing it into separate verses and makes the meaning clear to those of us who read-write-think in modern English.
So how is it Joseph took her to be his wife, did he give her a promise ring?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So how is it Joseph took her to be his wife,
Maybe they shared a stick of gum?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how is it Joseph took her to be his wife, did he give her a promise ring?
This doesn't even deserve a reply. Try learning about "betrothal" and marriage during the time that Joseph and Mary lived.
So how is it Joseph took her to be his wife,
Maybe they shared a stick of gum?
Let me know when you graduate from third grade!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This doesn't even deserve a reply. Try learning about "betrothal" and marriage during the time that Joseph and Mary lived.

Let me know when you graduate from third grade!
So what made them to be husband and wife in the eyes of God. Was there a marriage liscense issued in that time?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They were already betrothed some time before all this happened. There was only one task left to complete the marriage.
You answered your own question in post #185. If you can't discuss a topic seriously why are you participating?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So how is it Joseph took Mary to be his wife?
If an angel of God spoke to you and explained that your betrothed conceived a child by God - I would be incline d to believe him.
Wouldn't
YOU?
Joseph probably knew the Scriptures and the prophecy from Isaiah (Isa.7:14).

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If an angel of God spoke to you and explained that your betrothed conceived a child by God - I would be incline d to believe him.
Wouldn't
YOU?
Joseph probably knew the Scriptures and the prophecy from Isaiah (Isa.7:14).
So how is it Joseph took Mary to be his wife? I believe the Angel actually said take her unto yourself?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s not scripture that is in question. I supported the case entirely with the only two scriptural accounts available.

What is in question is people’s interpretation of those two brief accounts. A myth was created and that narrative has been perpetuated by the church for centuries. The original error is absent from the actual scriptures, and has been created by men.
What "myth"?
It is a fulfillment of a prophecy from Isaiah
(Isa.7:14).

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how is it Joseph took Mary to be his wife? I believe the Angel actually said take her unto yourself?
Matt. 1L25
He took his wife, but did not have marital relations with her until she gave birth to a son, whom he named Jesus.

What's the problem??

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt. 1L25
He took his wife, but did not have marital relations with her until she gave birth to a son, whom he named Jesus.

What's the problem??
"Waiting on Him" is the problem. He just wants to be argumentative.