The Tarry Service

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
thanks but i went through that process several years ago with a couple in church leadership where they baptized me in the holy spirit. i have since come to question it and wether or not it is Biblical.
Hmm. Okay. Well did you believe at the time you received it that it was genuine and of God? What moved you to question it? Im just wondering?

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
i believed it at the time yes. i have since come to question it not seeing it in scripture. i'm not attacking your stance just stating my skepticism.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
i believed it at the time yes. i have since come to question it not seeing it in scripture. i'm not attacking your stance just stating my skepticism.
I understand your point. Its alright to be a little skeptical. Just pray and seek God for guidance for yourself. Have you spoken since your initial infilling of the Holy Ghost?

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
oh yes i have but have recently quit because i don't believe it to be scriptural either. but wait, i am speaking in the context of when someone tries to conjur up a language by uttering a bunch of syllabels not when they legitimately speak in tounges.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
oh yes i have but have recently quit because i don't believe it to be scriptural either. but wait, i am speaking in the context of when someone tries to conjur up a language by uttering a bunch of syllabels not when they legitimately speak in tounges.
Lol. Yes conjuring up is not of the Holy Spirit. But speaking under the power and influence of the Holy Ghost is a powerful experience expecially when interpretation is present. I can not persuade or sway you. This is a time when you will have to seek God for yourself and read the word and allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you on the "Baptism of the Holy Spirit". Its an individual thing.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
thanks for your understanding. i don't know a lot about this area but what i've observed in a church i used to attend was people when praying would utter a bunch of syllibils instead of speaking full sentences. i think if it is of God that people won't need to try and force it like that but will speak another language fluently.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
Yes many "claim" to have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit yet they have not received the precious baptism or immersion of the Holy Spirit. Yes speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance is the initial evidence; but there is more to living by the Holy Spirit than tongues its a life controlled and empowered by the Holy Spirit. He speaks, unctions, guides, corrects, rebukes, inspires and comforts the believer everyday! He is an essential I believe for salvation. He leads into all truth and is a person Himself worthy of honor and worship just as the Father and Son Jesus Christ is. The Holy Spirit though does not lift up himself yet leads the believer to a deeper honoring and reverence of Jesus our Lord!

The Holy Spirit is essential for salvation, We must be born of the Spirit, But the baptim in the Holy Ghost is a seperate experience and not essential for salvation, But He is really a nessecity if we want the power and Anointings of God in a mighty way.

this is an interesting topic. can one of you tell me where the Bible says we are to be baptized in the holy spirit?
doesn't a Christian have the holy spirit in them when they accept Jesus into their heart?, and didn't the holy spirit already come at pentecost?

We must be born again by the Spirit of God, Jn 3: 3--8.
Some of the disciples were born again in Jn 20: 22 when Jesus breathed the Holy Spirit into them, Peter was one of them because in Jn 21: 15--17 he said he loved Jesus with the Agape love of God, You cannot have the agape love of God unless you are born again.
But Jesus said they would receive power when they are baptised in the Holy Ghost, Acts 1: 8.
So even though some of them were saved, [Born of the Holy Spirit] They still needed the baptism in the Holy Spirit to have the power.

Paul asked disciples, "Have you received the Holy Ghost since you believed",
If the baptism in the Holy Ghost wasn't a seperate experience why would Paul ask the question, He would have know they had received the Holy Ghost at the rebirth.

Paul was saved three days before he was baptised in the Holy Ghost, Acts 9: 6--17.

The disciples in Acts 8: 14--17 were saved and baptised in water, But they weren't baptised in the Holy Ghost until the Apostles laid hands on them, V17.

Reactions: IanLC