The Ten Commandments modified?!!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings in Jesus Christ,
I am going to start sharing things that I come across that had I not seen it I wouldn't be aware of just how far from Truth some churches have gone.
This is not an attack.on any specific church....but I question why is the Catholic Church always the leader of change and reform concerning the written Word of God.
Let me emphasize, had I not known what the Word actually said and did a Google search to look up the 10 Commandments then I would never have known the difference....
Those who get all their knowledge of scripture from the internet....BEWARE!!!!

The Ten Commandments - Catholic Poster 13 x 19in The Ten Commandments - Catholic Poster 13 x 19in : Amazon.in: Toys & Games

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am going to start sharing things that I come across that had I not seen it I wouldn't be aware of just how far from Truth some churches have gone.
This is not an attack.on any specific church....but I question why is the Catholic Church always the leader of change and reform concerning the written Word of God.
Let me emphasize, had I not known what the Word actually said and did a Google search to look up the 10 Commandments then I would never have known the difference....

The Ten Commandments - Catholic Poster 13 x 19in The Ten Commandments - Catholic Poster 13 x 19in : Amazon.in: Toys & Games
Oh yeah, how they took out the second one that say's not to make any carved images, and how they split the other one in two. Not sure which one that was though. Crazy and scary sad.

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Catholics didn't change the Bible, this is the "catechismal 10 commandments", which you'll see hung up in posters in Catholic schools. I grew up in Catholic school and nobody ever told me there was a difference between these posters and Moses' original 10 commandments, it took me years to figure this out. It is really sneaky, taking out the commandment against graven images and splitting apart the commandment against covetting into 2.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A message to the choir . Let no man woman or child follow the RCC .
Oh but it is now politically incorrect to speak about the "RCC". But it was the church of Rome which decided to develop a false Christianity based upon a corrupt Bible.

The King James translators had a few choice words for the Catholic church and called the Catholics "popish Romanists":

"Now the Church of Rome would seem at the length to bear a motherly affection towards her children, and to allow them the Scriptures in their mother tongue: but indeed it is a gift, not deserving to be called a gift, an unprofitable gift: they must first get a licence in writing before they may use them, and to get that, they must approve themselves to their Confessor, that is, to be such as are, if not frozen in the dregs, yet soured with the leaven of their superstition.

Howbeit, it seemed too much to Clement the Eighth that there should be any Licence granted to have them in the vulgar tongue, and therefore he overruleth and frustrateth the grant of Pius the Fourth. So much are they afraid of the light of the Scripture, (Lucifugae Scripturarum, as Tertulian speaketh) that they will not trust the people with it, no not as it is set forth by their own sworn men, no not with the Licence of their own Bishops and Inquisitors.

Yea, so unwilling they are to communicate the Scriptures to the people's understanding in any sort, that they are not ashamed to confess, that we forced them to translate it into English against their wills. This seemeth to argue a bad cause, or a bad conscience, or both.

Sure we are, that it is not he that hath good gold, that is afraid to bring it to the touchstone, but he that hath the counterfeit; neither is it the true man that shunneth the light, but the malefactor, lest his deeds should be reproved [John 3:20]: neither is it the plain-dealing Merchant that is unwilling to have the weights, or the meteyard brought in place, but he that useth deceit. But we will let them alone for this fault, and return to translation."

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I already heard the catholic changed it and removed the you shall not make an idol in any form and then kneel before it
7 years ago

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I already heard the catholic changed it and removed the you shall not make an idol in any form and then kneel before it
7 years ago
oh this started more than 7 years ago, at least 25 years ago, since we had this when I was a kid in catholic elementary school. Probably it happened even longer ago.

Most Catholics BTW will be completely astonished if you show them this.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
oh this started more than 7 years ago, at least 25 years ago, since we had this when I was a kid in catholic elementary school. Probably it happened even longer ago.

Most Catholics BTW will be completely astonished if you show them this.
oh 25years then I wouldn't know any of it even though I studied at that time at a catholic school for sure still dumb and learning but not able to learn the truth for I am too proud at that time

I only started to believe in 2014 but that did not went smoothly even now

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh yeah, how they took out the second one that say's not to make any carved images, and how they split the other one in two. Not sure which one that was though. Crazy and scary sad.
It was the 10th commandment....covet and envy neighbors wife and possessions used to be one.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Catholics didn't change the Bible, this is the "catechismal 10 commandments", which you'll see hung up in posters in Catholic schools. I grew up in Catholic school and nobody ever told me there was a difference between these posters and Moses' original 10 commandments, it took me years to figure this out. It is really sneaky, taking out the commandment against graven images and splitting apart the commandment against covetting into 2.
Thanks for sharing this....I really just don't know much about the Catholics and catechism....and I do love and respect my Carholic brothers and sisters.

Reactions: Adam

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm surprised that this is only being spoken of now. I have been writing of this for years on this forum...I guess my fan base isn't as wife as wide as I thought
That said, that isn't the only change. While it has been recognized over the years by various Protestants, and viewed as an horrendous offense to biblical truth, the failure to recognize the change in the 4th commandment, and the mental gymnastics needed to defend it, is even more horrendous.
Even the council of Trent defeated Luther on that premise, with the bishop spokesman claiming that even Protestants therefore agree with tradition as being a legitimate ground for faith and practise, they themselves practicing Sunday sacredness, a tradition that is the sole creation of the Catholic Church.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh but it is now politically incorrect to speak about the "RCC". But it was the church of Rome which decided to develop a false Christianity based upon a corrupt Bible.

The King James translators had a few choice words for the Catholic church and called the Catholics "popish Romanists":

"Now the Church of Rome would seem at the length to bear a motherly affection towards her children, and to allow them the Scriptures in their mother tongue: but indeed it is a gift, not deserving to be called a gift, an unprofitable gift: they must first get a licence in writing before they may use them, and to get that, they must approve themselves to their Confessor, that is, to be such as are, if not frozen in the dregs, yet soured with the leaven of their superstition.

Howbeit, it seemed too much to Clement the Eighth that there should be any Licence granted to have them in the vulgar tongue, and therefore he overruleth and frustrateth the grant of Pius the Fourth. So much are they afraid of the light of the Scripture, (Lucifugae Scripturarum, as Tertulian speaketh) that they will not trust the people with it, no not as it is set forth by their own sworn men, no not with the Licence of their own Bishops and Inquisitors.

Yea, so unwilling they are to communicate the Scriptures to the people's understanding in any sort, that they are not ashamed to confess, that we forced them to translate it into English against their wills. This seemeth to argue a bad cause, or a bad conscience, or both.

Sure we are, that it is not he that hath good gold, that is afraid to bring it to the touchstone, but he that hath the counterfeit; neither is it the true man that shunneth the light, but the malefactor, lest his deeds should be reproved [John 3:20]: neither is it the plain-dealing Merchant that is unwilling to have the weights, or the meteyard brought in place, but he that useth deceit. But we will let them alone for this fault, and return to translation."
PC and the words dont judge are nothing more than a means to shut down and silence all voices who would correct
and point to the truth .
Dont judge are the two most common words in the christain langauge of today .
And yet how often its they who judge who say dont judge . IF we allow them to silence the last voices
standing for the truth holiness and righteousness , then the whole lump leavens . For without correction leaven
brings many a friend with it into the chambers of any house or building , physical or digital . We must continue
to always warn against that which is deadly to the souls of men and point always to the truth .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judge not , say they whose sins they desire not to be brought to the light .
Judge not has become the protector of all that is unholy and that attacker against that which is holy , righteous and correct .
Let us ponder on that for a bit today and pray to GOD about this .
Bring up homosexuality and its JUDGE NOT
but say , the bible is not accurate for todays age , and its AMEN .
Bring up JESUS as the only way to be saved and if one believes not they will be damned and its JUDGE NOT
but bring in the all inclusive many path to god lie and its AMEN .
ARE WE SEEING THE PROBLEM YET .
Or warn out against true biblical christains and its amen they are haters and its AMEN they holler .
Judge not is used to protect sin and error and those who use it JUDGE HARSHLY those who would correct .
Let us ponder on these things and then open the bibles and read JESUS
read the aposetles , then ask yourselves WOULD THESE MEN be seen as HATERS and JUDGMENTAL
To this generation . YES THEY WOULD . we have a serious problem and one that needs fixing fast .

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think we can find out what we need to know from scripture and from the Lord. I am not a big fan of the current pope.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm surprised that this is only being spoken of now. I have been writing of this for years on this forum...I guess my fan base isn't as wife as wide as I thought
That said, that isn't the only change. While it has been recognized over the years by various Protestants, and viewed as an horrendous offense to biblical truth, the failure to recognize the change in the 4th commandment, and the mental gymnastics needed to defend it, is even more horrendous.
Even the council of Trent defeated Luther on that premise, with the bishop spokesman claiming that even Protestants therefore agree with tradition as being a legitimate ground for faith and practise, they themselves practicing Sunday sacredness, a tradition that is the sole creation of the Catholic Church.
I am sorry I have missed your threads. I will have to go and look for them and read them. Thanks for sharing.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wanted to kind of explain why I am so far behind what many of you have already seen or heard. In 2007 I went to work on the pipeline construction field. I traveled to several different states and worked 10 hrs shifts 6 days a week. Never had time to watch much TV. I finished my last job Feb 2014 and enrolled in school for 2 years.
I joined the forums in 2017 beginning at CF and finally ending up here.
So I probably joined threads about prophesy and gifts of the Spirit and overlooked all others.
So yea, I am way behind...but I am catching up fast!:I know::crossword::I know:

• Love
Reactions: marks and Brakelite

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To answer your question – the Church didn’t “change” the Ten Commandments.

First of all, what MOST people don’t understand is that the Commandments aren’t numbered in Scripture. Anyway, if you count all of the “Shalls” and “Shall Nots” – there are about Thirteen (13).

You also need to remember that the Commandments are listed TWICE in the Bible:
Once in Exodus 20 and again in Deuteronomy 5.
The listing in Deuteronomy goes a little further in its explanation of the Commandments.

Let’s deal with the first three Commandments –
In the Catholic listing, it says:
1. I, the Lord, am your God. You shall not have other gods besides me.
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord God in vain

The Protestant listing states:
1, You shall have no other gods but me.
2. You shall not make unto you any graven images
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain

Notice that the Catholic listing of the 2nd Commandment encompasses everything being stated in the 2nd & 3rd Commandments in the Protestant listing.

We KNOW that the Commandment is NOT about the MAKING of graven images because God Himself commands Moses just a few chapters later to create 2 golden images of Cherubim to place atop the Ark (Exod. 25:18-22). He also commands Moses to make a Bronze Serpent to heal those who gaze upon it (Num. 21:8-9). We read other examples of God being pleased with the creation of statues (I Kings 6:23-28, 9:3). If this were a Commandment against the creation of images and statues, then God would have violated His own law

When we read those verses in context, we see that God’s prohibition is against making idols to worship and not the creation of images. This is ALL covered in the Catholic rendering of the first Commandment about having “other gods”.

Similarly, we have a difference in the numbering of the last 2 Commandments.

In the Catholic listing, it says:
9. You shall not covet thy neighbor’s wife
10. You shall not covet thy neighbor’s goods

The Protestant listing states:
10. You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.

This is a perfect example of where the listing in Duet. 5 explains the difference.

In Deut. 5, we see another version of the list. Here, we see a clear distinction between a man’s wife and his property. A different word for the desire of a man’s property is used than that of the desire for his wife.

Chamad (תחמד), is used to describe the coveting a man’s wife as opposed to 'Avah (תתאוה), which is used to describe the desire for a man’s property. Chamad has a connotation of sexual desire and lust, whereas, ‘Avah means to crave or to be greedy for something material.

We now see that there are two different Commandments here and not one jumbled, all-inclusive commandment. We must remember that in Gen. 2:24, God declared that, in the union between a husband and wife, the two become ONE flesh. Jesus reiterates this fact in Mark 10:8.

Status
Not open for further replies.