The Ten Commandments modified?!!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already heard the catholic changed it and removed the you shall not make an idol in any form and then kneel before it
7 years ago
I have many friends that are in the RCC. I attended a child's funeral and that was the first time I entered their church.

Paganism is impossible to miss! Idols. Necromancy in the form of venerating and asking the dead to intercedes on their behalf, even watches over them as guardians.

Then there's purgatory, which isn't in scripture. Vacating Christ's work on the cross.

A friend's MiL was deeply committed to the church. She died thinking after 70+ years of confession, last rites in Hospice, she still had Purgatory to go through.
RCC's never believed Jesus paid the full price for sins on the cross.

And every RCC I know I've also asked, are you Christian?
No, they say. I'm a Catholic.

For me, they're the best witness against the church being of Christ when they say that.

And they'll claim that Jesus founded the RCC through Peter is nonsense and conjecture that warps the meaning and identity of the Rock that in both Old and New Testaments that is actually Jesus the Christ.

He came to bring the good news as a rock gospel of grace and salvation.
And upon that did he build his church, the Eklesia.

Not the pagan temple erected over top of a pagan graveyard in Rome.

Not a cult wherein a sovereign nation, Holy See, is ruled by the dictator pope who is a new age rendering of Caesar, and the college of cardinals, reminiscent of the Roman Senate.

Rome, the Caesar's, will was that Roman rule rule the world eternally.
They found a way. They even augmented scripture to guarantee it.

God is not amused.
Dead bodies claimed to be divinely preserved and on display for veneration as saints?
Madame Truseau and her museum is a close second to that.

The things people will do.

And tell me where Jesus EVER said found a bank in his name! Vatican bank holdings are immense!

False! The RCC is false. The neo-evolution of Christo-Paganism. That's why it is corrupt and eternally damned for its idolatry and blasphemy of the true Christ.

Now that I've vented.....

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It was the 10th commandment....covet and envy neighbors wife and possessions used to be one.
When you look closer you see that other commandments are altered also.......but then I'm not saying anything new; there are members here who have been saying that for a long time......and how is it it hasn't been heard?

Reactions: ButterflyJones

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have many friends that are in the RCC. I attended a child's funeral and that was the first time I entered their church.

Paganism is impossible to miss! Idols. Necromancy in the form of venerating and asking the dead to intercedes on their behalf, even watches over them as guardians.

Then there's purgatory, which isn't in scripture. Vacating Christ's work on the cross.

A friend's MiL was deeply committed to the church. She died thinking after 70+ years of confession, last rites in Hospice, she still had Purgatory to go through.

For me, they're the best witness against the church being of Christ when they say that.

And they'll claim that Jesus founded the RCC through Peter is nonsense and conjecture that warps the meaning and identity of the Rock that in both Old and New Testaments that is actually Jesus the Christ.

Not a cult wherein a sovereign nation, Holy See, is ruled by the dictator pope who is a new age rendering of Caesar, and the college of cardinals, reminiscent of the Roman Senate.

God is not amused.
Dead bodies claimed to be divinely preserved and on display for veneration as saints?

And tell me where Jesus EVER said found a bank in his name! Vatican bank holdings are immense!

False! The RCC is false. The neo-evolution of Christo-Paganism. That's why it is corrupt and eternally damned for its idolatry and blasphemy of the true Christ.
Oh, joy - another ignorant anti-Catholic rant . . . .

Idiotic charges of “idolatry”, “paganism”, and “necromancy” with ZERO evidence only makes your asinine rant that much more stupid. Do you even understand what “Necromancy” is, Einstein?
Apparently NOT . . .

I would explain Purgatory (Final Purification of the Elect) to you but you probably won’t understand that, either. Suffice it to say, it is absolutely Biblical (2 Macc. 12:42-46, 1 Cor. 3:12-15, Matt. 5:25-26, Matt. 12:32, Matt. 18:32-35, Luke 12:58-59).
As for a bank - Jesus never said to found a bank in His name.

What He DID tell everyone to do is to take care of the poor and sick (Matt. 10:7-8, Matt. 25:35, Matt. 25:40, Luke 4:40, Luke 10:30-37) .

The Catholic Church is the LARGEST charitable entity in the WORLD.

Every day, the Catholic Church feeds, clothes, shelters and educates more people than ANY organization in the world.

Charities run by the Church include 5,305 hospitals including 1694 in the Americas and 1,150 in Africa.

The Church also has 18,179 clinics including 5,762 in the Americas and 5,312 in Africa 3,884 in Asia.

It also manages 17,223 homes for old people, the terminally ill and the handicapped – most of them (8,021) in Europe and the Americas (5,650).

It also runs 9,882 orphanages – a third of them in Asia.

It DWARFS the charitable works of most countries – and virtually EVERY Protestant organization combined.

Ummmmm, PROBABLY why a bank is necessary . . .

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God is not amused.

Now that I've vented.....

---- hit a nerve. :coff

• Sad

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In other words - you don't have any intelligent response to what I posted, as usual.
I figured it would fly right over your head . . .
BoL....have you considered that you are the subject matter of the parable/ story Jesus told of Lazarus and the rich man? .....the punch line, the point of the story is, if they do not believe Moses and the Prophets they won't believe even if one was raised from the dead.
Even as I write I doubt whether you would understand what I'm trying to say.

• Love

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, joy - another ignorant anti-Catholic rant . . . .

Idiotic charges of “idolatry”, “paganism”, and “necromancy” with ZERO evidence only makes your asinine rant that much more stupid. Do you even understand what “Necromancy” is, Einstein?
Apparently NOT . . .

I would explain Purgatory (Final Purification of the Elect) to you but you probably won’t understand that, either. Suffice it to say, it is absolutely Biblical (2 Macc. 12:42-46, 1 Cor. 3:12-15, Matt. 5:25-26, Matt. 12:32, Matt. 18:32-35, Luke 12:58-59).
As for a bank - Jesus never said to found a bank in His name.

What He DID tell everyone to do is to take care of the poor and sick (Matt. 10:7-8, Matt. 25:35, Matt. 25:40, Luke 4:40, Luke 10:30-37) .

The Catholic Church is the LARGEST charitable entity in the WORLD.

Every day, the Catholic Church feeds, clothes, shelters and educates more people than ANY organization in the world.

Charities run by the Church include 5,305 hospitals including 1694 in the Americas and 1,150 in Africa.

The Church also has 18,179 clinics including 5,762 in the Americas and 5,312 in Africa 3,884 in Asia.

It also manages 17,223 homes for old people, the terminally ill and the handicapped – most of them (8,021) in Europe and the Americas (5,650).

It also runs 9,882 orphanages – a third of them in Asia.

It DWARFS the charitable works of most countries – and virtually EVERY Protestant organization combined.

Ummmmm, PROBABLY why a bank is necessary . . .
Thank you. You reflect the teachings of your church beautifully.

And I forgive you. And pray if it be in God's plan he finds you with his grace. Amen.

Edit misplaced word deleted

Last edited:
Reactions: amigo de christo

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. You reflect the teachings of your church beautifully.

And I forgive you. And pray if it be in God's plan you he finds you with his grace. Amen.
Funny how YOU forgive ME for your bearing false witness against me and aa billion other Catholics.
Can someone say,
"Hypocrisy"?

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Funny how YOU forgive ME for your bearing false witness against me and aa billion other Catholics.
Can someone say,
"Hypocrisy"?
I can say it is my fervent prayer that you and a billion others come out of the false faith if it be God's will and while there is still time.

I won't be reading you again. You are in need of peace and grace, obviously as the rage and rancor you display throughout now consumes you. This a pity.

May God in his mercy if it be his will bring you into his fold. Amen.

Last edited:

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - he just set of the BS Meter . . .

If you've been at it for twenty years, you should be better than this.

She was sharing her personal experience, which you call ignorance. It's dismissive and arrogant and she OBVIOUSLY hit a nerve.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Greetings in Jesus Christ,
I am going to start sharing things that I come across that had I not seen it I wouldn't be aware of just how far from Truth some churches have gone.
This is not an attack.on any specific church....but I question why is the Catholic Church always the leader of change and reform concerning the written Word of God.
Then blame the Lutherans with the same absurd charge.
Let me emphasize, had I not known what the Word actually said and did a Google search to look up the 10 Commandments then I would never have known the difference....
Those who get all their knowledge of scripture from the internet....BEWARE!!!!

The Ten Commandments - Catholic Poster 13 x 19in The Ten Commandments - Catholic Poster 13 x 19in : Amazon.in: Toys & Games

This is a short version without changing the 2nd Commandment.

Check this out! https://a.co/d/15Kjy20

Oh yeah, how they took out the second one that say's not to make any carved images, and how they split the other one in two. Not sure which one that was though. Crazy and scary sad.
First of all, let’s get one thing straight right out of the “starting-gate”: the Bible itself does not lay out with precision, the numbering of the Commandments. In fact, it does not do so at all...

...This being the case, Christian groups have differed through the centuries, as to numbering. This is no “Catholic conspiracy.” Thus, The [Protestant] Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church (2nd ed., edited by F. L. Cross and E. A. Livingstone, Oxford University Press, 1983, “Commandments, The Ten,” 318-319), notes:
. . . in the prohibition of covetousness, Ex. classes a man’s wife with his other domestic property, whereas Deut. treats her separately.​
. . . There is a difference in the enumeration in the different Churches. In the C of E [Church of England] as well as in the Greek and the Reformed (Calvinist and Zwinglian) Churches the prohibitions relating to false worship are reckoned as two, whereas the RC Church and the Lutherans count them as one. Thus the enumeration of the subsequent Commandments differs, e.g., the fourth (Anglican, etc.) Commandment on the sanctification of the Sabbath is reckoned as the third by those following the RC method. The number ten is made up by splitting up the last Commandment forbidding covetousness into two.​
So immediately we find that Martin Luther, the founder of Protestantism, and the Lutherans (no Catholics, they) are in on the “Romish” conspiracy to subvert the Ten Commandments. That makes the elegant anti-Catholic conspiratorialism not quite as simple and straightforward as is made out.

The Eerdmans Bible Dictionary (edited by Allen C. Myers, Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans Pub. Co., 1987) — also no organ of the Catholic Church –, in its article on the Commandments (p. 993), concurs:

At what points the Decalog is to be divided into precisely ten commandments has long been a matter of disagreement (e.g., some traditions regard v. 2 as the first commandment, combining vv. 3 and 4-6; others take vv. 3-6 as the first and divide v. 17 into two commandments). Debate also focuses on just where to divide the commandments into “two tables” (cf. 32:15; 34:4,28; Deut 4:13) . . .​
The Protestant New International Dictionary of the Christian Church (edited by J. D. Douglas, Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House, rev. ed., 1978, 243) sheds further light on the differences in enumeration:

The Talmudic tradition held that the commandments against idolatry and the forbidding of images formed one long, indivisible unit. Augustine, who was followed by the Roman and Lutheran traditions, accepted this suggestion and found two commandments under the rubric “thou shalt not covet.” A further tradition, following the lead of Origen, separated the commandment against images from that against idolatry; this is the view of Calvin and the Reformed tradition.
(cf. #2066 in Catechism of the Catholic Church)

Ah; how the plot thickens now! Or, rather, how many unanswered questions arise! The great St. Augustine: practically the patron saint of all Protestants, now has espoused (and it looks like he actually originated) the great plot to change the Commandments, so as to allow idolatry to flourish in Catholic ranks. The anti-Catholic choices here reduce to only a very few:

1. Boot St. Augustine out of the pantheon of Protestant heroes, due to his joining in the “wicked” conspiracy (or at the very least, include him, when making the condemnation).
2. Admit that he started this, but that the theory itself is bogus, and drop the charge altogether.
3. Claim that he was hypnotized by evil “Romish” priests and wrote what he did under compulsion; it wasn’t his true view on the subject.

Of course, the same would apply to Martin Luther and Lutherans to this day, which creates even more obviously thorny problems for a Protestant making this (ridiculous) charge.
Another absurdity derives from the fact that the Orthodox follow the non-Lutheran Protestant enumeration, yet they fully accept veneration of images, just as Catholics do. So they apparently missed the “trick” that the Catholics devised, to hide their devious practices. Luther was against such veneration (in the main), yet followed the Catholic tradition on this score. Go figure.

Thus in his famous Large Catechism (my version is from Minneapolis: Augsburg Publishing House, 1935), Luther’s numbering (like Augustine’s before him) is precisely that of the Catholic Church. The relevant section can be found on pages 44-112. The Small Catechism is the same. Both are normative for Lutherans; they are included in the confessional Book of Concord (1580). The First Commandment is written in these works as: “Thou shalt have no other gods before me.” The Second Commandment is listed as: “Thous shalt not take the name of Jehovah thy God in vain; for Jehovah will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain” (pp. 44, 53 of Luther’s Large Catechism). Anti-Catholicism always involves this sort of outrageous double standards and hiding of the full truth of the matter.

The claim is that Catholics “deleted” the Commandment about “graven images” and “idols.” But this is understood (by Augustine, Luther, and Catholics) as included within the first commandment. It’s not excluded. There is merely a “shorthand” to remember the first commandment, in the shorter version, just as “Thou shalt not covet” in the non-Lutheran Protestant versions is shorthand for the longer, more explicit biblical version...

...The entire theory is ludicrous. This is some of the most ridiculous “reasoning” I’ve ever seen, even by rock-bottom anti-Catholic standards of “scholarship” and fairness.
source

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

First of all, let’s get one thing straight right out of the “starting-gate”: the Bible itself does not lay out with precision, the numbering of the Commandments. In fact, it does not do so at all...

...This being the case, Christian groups have differed through the centuries, as to numbering. This is no “Catholic conspiracy.” Thus, The [Protestant] Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church (2nd ed., edited by F. L. Cross and E. A. Livingstone, Oxford University Press, 1983, “Commandments, The Ten,” 318-319), notes:
. . . in the prohibition of covetousness, Ex. classes a man’s wife with his other domestic property, whereas Deut. treats her separately.​
. . . There is a difference in the enumeration in the different Churches. In the C of E [Church of England] as well as in the Greek and the Reformed (Calvinist and Zwinglian) Churches the prohibitions relating to false worship are reckoned as two, whereas the RC Church and the Lutherans count them as one. Thus the enumeration of the subsequent Commandments differs, e.g., the fourth (Anglican, etc.) Commandment on the sanctification of the Sabbath is reckoned as the third by those following the RC method. The number ten is made up by splitting up the last Commandment forbidding covetousness into two.​
So immediately we find that Martin Luther, the founder of Protestantism, and the Lutherans (no Catholics, they) are in on the “Romish” conspiracy to subvert the Ten Commandments. That makes the elegant anti-Catholic conspiratorialism not quite as simple and straightforward as is made out.

The Eerdmans Bible Dictionary (edited by Allen C. Myers, Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans Pub. Co., 1987) — also no organ of the Catholic Church –, in its article on the Commandments (p. 993), concurs:

At what points the Decalog is to be divided into precisely ten commandments has long been a matter of disagreement (e.g., some traditions regard v. 2 as the first commandment, combining vv. 3 and 4-6; others take vv. 3-6 as the first and divide v. 17 into two commandments). Debate also focuses on just where to divide the commandments into “two tables” (cf. 32:15; 34:4,28; Deut 4:13) . . .​
The Protestant New International Dictionary of the Christian Church (edited by J. D. Douglas, Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House, rev. ed., 1978, 243) sheds further light on the differences in enumeration:

Ah; how the plot thickens now! Or, rather, how many unanswered questions arise! The great St. Augustine: practically the patron saint of all Protestants, now has espoused (and it looks like he actually originated) the great plot to change the Commandments, so as to allow idolatry to flourish in Catholic ranks. The anti-Catholic choices here reduce to only a very few:

1. Boot St. Augustine out of the pantheon of Protestant heroes, due to his joining in the “wicked” conspiracy (or at the very least, include him, when making the condemnation).
2. Admit that he started this, but that the theory itself is bogus, and drop the charge altogether.
3. Claim that he was hypnotized by evil “Romish” priests and wrote what he did under compulsion; it wasn’t his true view on the subject.

Of course, the same would apply to Martin Luther and Lutherans to this day, which creates even more obviously thorny problems for a Protestant making this (ridiculous) charge.
Another absurdity derives from the fact that the Orthodox follow the non-Lutheran Protestant enumeration, yet they fully accept veneration of images, just as Catholics do. So they apparently missed the “trick” that the Catholics devised, to hide their devious practices. Luther was against such veneration (in the main), yet followed the Catholic tradition on this score. Go figure.

Thus in his famous Large Catechism (my version is from Minneapolis: Augsburg Publishing House, 1935), Luther’s numbering (like Augustine’s before him) is precisely that of the Catholic Church. The relevant section can be found on pages 44-112. The Small Catechism is the same. Both are normative for Lutherans; they are included in the confessional Book of Concord (1580). The First Commandment is written in these works as: “Thou shalt have no other gods before me.” The Second Commandment is listed as: “Thous shalt not take the name of Jehovah thy God in vain; for Jehovah will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain” (pp. 44, 53 of Luther’s Large Catechism). Anti-Catholicism always involves this sort of outrageous double standards and hiding of the full truth of the matter.

The claim is that Catholics “deleted” the Commandment about “graven images” and “idols.” But this is understood (by Augustine, Luther, and Catholics) as included within the first commandment. It’s not excluded. There is merely a “shorthand” to remember the first commandment, in the shorter version, just as “Thou shalt not covet” in the non-Lutheran Protestant versions is shorthand for the longer, more explicit biblical version...

...The entire theory is ludicrous. This is some of the most ridiculous “reasoning” I’ve ever seen, even by rock-bottom anti-Catholic standards of “scholarship” and fairness.
source
For all your words in trying to justify the RC system, its overarching opulence and the way it generates it....and its rationalisation, are all a witness to its opposition to the Jesus of Nazareth.
The RCC in line with all others who make the Kingdom of this world the primary objective, milking the poor and ignorant, manipulating those in power for power and self glorification, testifies!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

source
I don't know what your rant is about. But apparently you are aware of a version of the ten commandments and you are ok with it because it's a shortened version?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't know what your rant is about. But apparently you are aware of a version of the ten commandments and you are ok with it because it's a shortened version?
Shortened in critically specific areas ie, modified and changed.

Daniel 7.25 'And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws:....'
Ah yes, 'think to change times and laws' ... and what laws?..... could it be laws specifically related to times?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
'Fifty years in the Church of Rome' by Charles Chiniquy ......a very worthwhile read, free online though Project Gutenburg

Status
Not open for further replies.