The Trinity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So if it divides us, maybe it should?
i dont wanna put too fine a point on this, but imo what we now deem “fascism” comes into play there; so i would ask you how you might avoid the hideous Catholic notion of “pax” or iow peace at the point of a gun? Which is also imo what “dogs” rep, “packs,” iow no coat of many colors allowed at all, everyone marching in files and rows, right, zieg HEIL!

which i understand is prolly a touchy area for a Catholic, but i mean cmon; doesnt “it take all kinds?” So wadr i will do what the imo real believers did at Nicea, and say “ni” to you, and that pustulant “Nicene Creed” that could only have been formulated after driving out all of those who evinced reservations, and the ony ones left were those who bowed to the current pontifex maximus

otoh, i love your current pope, what a guy! But most Catholics dont like him, i guess?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ok, but imo dont be too surprised when Yah does not honor the divisions we have made
1 Corinthians 1:10...
“Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.”

Does this describe Christendom?

When Jesus arrives to judge the world, there will be just two groups....”sheep” and “goats”....God does not recognise denominations...he just sees true Christian “wheat” and “weeds” sown by the devil.

I said “you are Elohim”
Very good point. Just understanding what the words “Elohim” and “theos” mean in the original languages is key to understanding what the Bible actually teaches about deity.

The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the gospel of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it.
This is one of the most mistranslated scriptures in the Bible. (Luke 16:14-16)
What precedes that verse is....”Now the Pharisees, who were money lovers, were listening to all these things, and they began to sneer at him. 15 So he said to them: “You are those who declare yourselves righteous before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is considered exalted by men is a disgusting thing in God’s sight.

The Law and the Prophets were until John. From then on, the Kingdom of God is being declared as good news, and every sort of person is pressing forward toward it”

No one can force their way into the Kingdom of God, or seize it through violence. Though violent men claim to represent the Kingdom of God, they betray themselves as not being followers of Christ. Their conduct is actually disgusting to God.
With the preaching of the Kingdom of God, opposers have tried to stop men from entering it, so they do so through hardship and oppression. (Luke 13:24)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
seems to me that even Einstein admitted it would not
Do you ever get the notion that not everyone on this forum has a mind like Einstein... even though some, at times, act as if they do? I do not believe that Einstein ever pressed a "my way or the highway" attitude. Does anyone here?

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Do you ever get the notion that not everyone on this forum has a mind like Einstein... even though some, at times, act as if they do? I do not believe that Einstein ever pressed a "my way or the highway" attitude. Does anyone here?
fruit of the tree of knowledge is kind of hard to identify, i guess

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
fruit of the tree of knowledge is kind of hard to identify, i guess
Distinguishing between good and evil may be for carnal man an impossibility even though he often is certain that he can. Can a deluded Christian be really a carnal man?

It is as easy and black and white, right? Good fruit and bad fruit, right?

How many people carrying the label of Christian are really in delusion? Have they have missed out on the importance of Love... or they lost first love in favor of some beastly fruit? What is a delusion, and where does it come from?

"And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:" II Thess 2:10-11

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible" Mark 10:27

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Clearly the Deity of the Lord Jesus is seen overwhelmingly in the NT. John 1.14 - referred to, above - speaks of the Word having become flesh: "And we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father".

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Clearly the Deity of the Lord Jesus is seen overwhelmingly in the NT. John 1.14 - referred to, above - speaks of the Word having become flesh: "And we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father".

John 1 in Greek does not say what many think it does in English....but if that is what people want to believe, then no matter what anyone says they will not believe them. It is so fully indoctrinated in Christendom, that most cannot see past it, or even through it.

If the first chapter of John is evidence of a trinity, then it demonstrates that no one has ever done any research on the original Greek from which our English versions are translated.

The fact that the Jews had long ceased pronouncing God’s name, but simply addressed him verbally as “the LORD God” substituting a title (Adonai) for the divine name YAHWEH, added to the confusion about who was “the Lord” (“LORD” or “Lord”) and who was “God” or “a god” (“a divine mighty one” in Greek).....

If the divine name had still been in use then John 1:1 would read.....”In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with YAHWEH, and the Word was divine.”

Then you would see the difference between deity and divinity. Jesus can be “divine” without being “deity”.

Then in verse 14 as you quoted, it was “the Word” who became flesh, not YAHWEH.

Further in verse 18 it clearly states that “No man has ever seen God” but that “the only begotten god”, (monogenes theos) was “the one who has explained him”. The KJV has translated that verse to comply with the trinity by calling Jesus “the only begotten Son” but that is not what it says in Greek. “Monogenes theos” means “only begotten god”. There is no “Son” in that verse. They mistranslated it to avoid having to explain how God can be “begotten” which requires a ‘begetter’, who existed before him, as all “fathers” exist before their children.

So it’s not as clear as you assume, I’m afraid.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the divine name had still been in use then John 1:1 would read.....”In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with YAHWEH, and the Word was divine.”
Is that so?

What makes you think that?

The LXX substituted "curios" for YHWH, not "theos".

If the first chapter of John is evidence of a trinity, then it demonstrates that no one has ever done any research on the original Greek from which our English versions are translated.

Again, really? You seem to assert things about others you don't actually know.

You appear to be suggesting we would, if the Divine Name were in use, that we would restore it to "The Word was with Theos", but not "The Word was Theos." That's not being consistent.

If you think YHHW would be the intended understanding for "Theos", then to be consistent, it would read,

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with YHWH, and the Word was YHWH."

“Monogenes theos” means “only begotten god”.

upload_2021-12-2_15-21-30.png
"The Son of Him, the only begotten"

The phrase "monegene theos" isn't used here, actually.

Where are you getting Jesus is not declared the Son of God in this passage? Son appears in the Greek 'uios, son. Ton uion as it appears above in the Accusative Case, meaning this word receives the action of the verb, He gives His Son the Monogene, the Son of a single generation, meaning, there is only One like Him.

Much love!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
i dont wanna put too fine a point on this, but imo what we now deem “fascism” comes into play there; so i would ask you how you might avoid the hideous Catholic notion of “pax” or iow peace at the point of a gun? Which is also imo what “dogs” rep, “packs,” iow no coat of many colors allowed at all, everyone marching in files and rows, right, zieg HEIL!

which i understand is prolly a touchy area for a Catholic, but i mean cmon; doesnt “it take all kinds?” So wadr i will do what the imo real believers did at Nicea, and say “ni” to you, and that pustulant “Nicene Creed” that could only have been formulated after driving out all of those who evinced reservations, and the ony ones left were those who bowed to the current pontifex maximus

otoh, i love your current pope, what a guy! But most Catholics dont like him, i guess?
bb
I'm telling you one more time, my dear friend...I'm not Catholic. I can't be because I don't agree with all their doctrine.

OTOH, I live here. Here that's all there is. I mean where I live specifically. I do need a church. I do need other believers around me. I know priests personally. I study with 15 others, led by a monk.
A brand new priest, as of April 2021, studied theology with me about 10 years ago before he decided for the priesthood and went off to seminary.
His hometown is visible from my home.
This does not make me catholic but I do know the teachings a d I do not dislike my brothers in Christ.

As to you, I know your understanding of Christianity is not orthodox and I also know God loves His creation, of which you are a part.
And He does not put a gun to anyone's head.
We are finite.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
ok, but imo dont be too surprised when Yah does not honor the divisions we have made

I said “you are Elohim”

right or wrong i dont know, but there are tests; are their borders increasing, those who accept that that is “right?” And what might even being able to ask that q say about our use of English sub-titles to refer to Christ? Iow where is your “lord” now?

The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the gospel of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it huh?
so i mean there you go, in your own words even :)
"Everyone is forcing his way into the Kingdom."

I never said this.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
“Sophisticated”? What on earth does that mean?
We still maintain the belief that Michael is the pre-human and post-human Jesus. Before his birth as a human, Jesus the man did not exist. The man Jesus died and his resurrection in spirit form allowed him re-entry into heaven. He resumed his former position at God’s right hand. But interestingly the Holy Spirit is never once said to be at God’s left hand. In fact, when Jehovah and his son are mentioned together, the Holy Spirit is invariably missing. (John 17:3)
AJ
I understand that you're a JW...
What I mean by sophisticated is this:
I live here now, so I have to go by what is happening here now.
When I lived in the states (over 20 years ago) it was known that the JW believed Jesus was the Archangel Michael, or V V
Then there was an in-between belief, which I can't remember.
Now, today, the JWs come to my door and tell me that Jesus is the Son of God.
They tell me they believe He is divine because He is the Son of God.
This tells me there has been a change in their teaching....

As to being Michael, an angel, how does that then make Jesus the Son of God?
And where is this biblically stated? I can't think of anywhere.

The MAN Jesus did not exist before His birth to Mary. This is accepted theology.
But the WORD OF GOD always existed.
In the beginning God spoke into creation the entire universe.
What He spoke is His word.
The WORD was with God and the WORD WAS GOD. John 1:1
John is saying that Jesus, as the 2nd Person, always existed and is God.
If you don't believe this, then John was telling us something he himself did not believe and then neither can we trust him for any other reasons and his entire books should be discarded if they are not to be trusted.

If you tell me that John 1:1 says A GOD, as your bible does, instead of just GOD, then this has to be wrong too because John would be saying that there is more than one god and since he was a Jew he believed in ONLY ONE GOD,,,not different gods, as your translation would lead one to believe.

BTW, why do JWs have their own version of the bible?
Doesn't this seem a bit strange to you?
Do the JW leaders not trust any other theologian except their own?

Must leave for a while...
to be cont'd.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Overwhelmingly? To you perhaps, but even in that "perhaps" consider further on this issue if you would.

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." John 1:14

@farouk After you have spoken something with your mouth, are your words at that point a part of you even though they did originate with you?

How are the words spoken by God different than the words you speak? Do you really know? Did God's words become a human body? What were they prior to that? What were your words before you spoke them?

You use the term "overwhelming" perhaps too easily or quickly if you cannot give me clear answers to my questions.

One thing I see in the sum total of the scriptures is that our God is One God. Most of the many scriptures supporting the One God idea make no reference whatever in themselves to the notion of a Trinity... not to me. As to Deity, what is that if not the One God? Why is it that Jesus must Deity overwhelmingly and separate in some way from the One God, that is the Father God?

Is the One omnipotent God unable to form a man who able to be meek and great among men?
What is the difference between Moses and Jesus? What is the difference between Elijah and Jesus?

In each case why would you say the one is only a man with gifts from God while the other must be God?

The Word becomes flesh! What is it we are becoming by eating the flesh and drinking the blood of Jesus? If Jesus is God, are we becoming Gods also?

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

So then are we moving toward being part of a Multiplicity in God instead to sticking to the One God or a Trinity in God?

"Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:" John 17:20-22

If you are unable to clarify all of this for me to show why you believe why the scriptures overwhelmingly support the existence of only a Trinity, then perhaps you really should at least withdraw you use of the word, 'overwhelmingly'.

If you simply say I do know... I believe, but I do not know, would that not be closer to the truth if you cannot clearly answer my questions? No one else can clearly answer them either, so you would certainly not be alone in that...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrangler

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
“Sophisticated”? What on earth does that mean?
We still maintain the belief that Michael is the pre-human and post-human Jesus. Before his birth as a human, Jesus the man did not exist. The man Jesus died and his resurrection in spirit form allowed him re-entry into heaven. He resumed his former position at God’s right hand. But interestingly the Holy Spirit is never once said to be at God’s left hand. In fact, when Jehovah and his son are mentioned together, the Holy Spirit is invariably missing. (John 17:3)

Part 2

Your last sentence is because you don't understand the Trinity.
Jesus being at God's right hand is a metaphor for being with God as His annointed one, or assistant, or Savior, etc.
Have you ever heard of a CEO speaking about someone as his LEFT HAND MAN?
No. It is always: "He's my right hand man".

Also, Jesus' resurrection was not in spirit form.
He resurrected bodily.
He ate with the Apostles.
Thomas put has finger in Jesus' wound.
Don't you believe what the bible says?
Or is the New World Translation (the JW version of the bible) so different?

But understanding the difference between a belief and a doctrine is important. You see, we will not make a doctrine out of a belief that is not clearly stated unequivocally in scripture. It is indicated by inference that Michael is Jesus, since only two beings in heaven are said to command the Angels....Micheal and Jesus. It is also said that Jesus has many names, depending on the role that he is engaged in...whereas Jehovah has one role and though he has many titles, he only has one name. (Psalm 83:18)
IF you don't make a doctrine out of a belief, why do you believe Jesus is Michael?
You state above that this is only by inference.

And every Christian believes Psalm 83:18.
The LORD is God Father.
He is the most high over all the earth.
There is only ONE GOD.
Again, this shows no understanding of the Trinity.

The resurrected Jesus still calls the Father “my God” even in heaven. (Revelation 3:12) and he goes on to say that he is the “beginning of God’s creation”. (Revelation 3:14; Colossians 1:15)
Jesus also said
I AND THE FATHER ARE ONE. John 10:30
IF YOU'VE SEEN ME, YOU'VE SEEN THE FATHER. John 14:9
I AM IN THE FATHER AND THE FATHER IS IN ME. John 14:10

The BEGINNING OF GOD'S creation in Rev 3:12 is a reference to Jesus creating everything...as John says in chapter 1.
Nothing was created without Jesus (the 2nd Person).
John 1:2-3
2He was in the beginning with God.
3All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

Again, this refers to Jesus being the Word of God.
Everything was created by God speaking the Words:
Genesis 1:3, 6, 9, 11, 14, 20, 24, 26

God's WORD is JESUS - who existed as the 2nd Person of the Trinity.

The trinity is based on conjecture and inference but is stated as a doctrine by Christendom. That is the difference. There is no trinity expressly stated in any scripture...only words that might suggest it.
Yet when you understand the flimsy nature of that belief and then see that all of Christendom’s beliefs rest on this one shaky unproven foundation, it wouldn’t take much to topple the whole structure.
Well AJ, it hasn't toppled in 2,000 years and Jesus said that the gates of Hades - hell - would not prevail on the church that was built by Jesus since He was rejected by the Jews.

A doctrine is a teaching. If your theologians believe something and it is taught, that is a doctrine.
Ditto for the Christian denominations. If the denomination BELIEVES something to be true, then that is what it will teach and this is a doctrine.j

If words suggest there is a trinity -- perhaps there is?
When Jesus was baptized all 3 of the Trinity were present:
Jesus was being baptized
Father made a statement about Him
The Holy Spirit came down from heaven
Matthew 3:16-17
16After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him,
17and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased.”

This is the Trinity before it was named that.

We can see this again in
John 16:7-10
7“But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.
8“And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment;
9concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me;
10and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me;

The helper is the Holy Spirit
The Father
and Jesus speaking is the 2nd Person

To insist that Jesus is Almighty God is actually a breach of the first Commandment. Another two gods are placed in the same position as Jehovah, who alone is “the Most High” and has no equal.
Correct.
And this is why the Sanhedrin wanted Jesus dead.
Because He claimed to be God.
Why do you think Caiaphas tore his tunic?
Because he believed Jesus had uttered pure blasphemy by saying He was God.
Matthew 26:63-66
63But Jesus kept silent. And the high priest said to Him, “I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of God.”
64Jesus said to him, “You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see THE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, and COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN.”
65Then the high priest tore his robes and said, “He has blasphemed! What further need do we have of witnesses? Behold, you have now heard the blasphemy;
66what do you think?” They answered, “He deserves death!”

Understanding what the word “theos” means in Greek allows a whole different view of this situation.
To the Greeks, who had a multitude of gods, “theos” is simply a “divine mighty one”. All of their flawed gods had names but there was no word for the singular God of Israel, so at the time when the Greek scriptures were penned...Jehovah was nameless. The Jews had long ceased using the divine name in their speech, although it was still written in their scripture. They were just forbidden from uttering it. Jesus said he had come to make his Father’s name known to his disciples. (John 17:26)

If the Jews had continued to use the divine name to identify Jehovah, then the trinity could never have been invented.

The prime scripture used to promote the trinity (John 1:1) would therefore say.....
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Jehovah and the Word was divine.”
Where is the problem?
Jehovah is God.
The Word was with God.
The Jews did not spell God's name in full...this is still practiced today.
they spell God: G_D. Yahweh is YHWY which cannot be pronounced.

I don't understand your point.
A divine mighty one would be God Father.

There is no disputing that Jesus was of divine origin, but being divine, did not make him Almighty God.
If he was the Almighty, he surely would have said so....but he never did...not once.
Almighty God is God Father - the bearer of the Trinity.
Jesus is not Almighty God, but the 2nd Person of the Trinity -

I am sure that they are not, since they are not guilty of breaking God’s law. (Exodus 20:3)
He did not say you shall have “no other Gods but us”....he said you shall have “no other gods but ME”.

The Jewish Shema stated..... “Yahweh our God is one Yahweh” (Deuteronomy 6:4) If God is one, then there cannot be three. The trinity teaches “God the Father”, “God the Son” and “God the Holy Spirit” that is three gods. Nowhere in scripture will I find the second two titles ever mentioned.
It is NOT 3 gods.
It is ONE GOD, the Trinity speaks of God's natures and how we could understand them.

Are you a mother, aunt, daughter, sister, cousin - and who knows what else.
Yet you are only one person - but with different roles or natures -

Did you ever see this? I would have to assume you have...

upload_2021-12-3_17-9-46.png

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Sorry GodsGrace, yeah I read all of that already. I still don’t agree, I’m sorry.

God Is God and Christ his only begotten Son our Lord and Savior.
What don't you agree with?
That's what the Nicene Creed states - what you said.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you a mother, aunt, daughter, sister, cousin - and who knows what else.
Yet you are only one person - but with different roles or natures -

The trinitarian error is to confuse roles with natures. How we relate is infinite. It does not make one being infinite or 3 persons. It does not change there is one God, the Father.