The two schools of medicine

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are two main schools of medicine: the house of allopathy and the house of homeopathy. Allopathy is the cornerstone of western medicine. Its focus is on treating the symptoms of an illness, mainly through medication. This is where my criticism of modern medicine begins. Medication is used as the first line of defense instead of lifestyle changes or alternative treatments. This has made pharmaceuticals a big business. With such a business model, there is little incentive for doctors to think outside the box. And if they did, they would probably get reprimanded by their supervisors. In certain instances, medication may be necessary, but it should be a last resort and not the first, as it always comes with a cost, either with side effects or in medical bills. There is one area, however, where modern medicine shines, and that is through surgery. If there is a condition that absolutely requires surgery, then modern medicine is the way to go. For everyone else, I think homeopathy is best.

Homeopathy, on the other hand, is focused on treating the cause of the illness either through diet, supplements, or other lifestyle changes. A large majority of modern diseases stem from poor lifestyle choices. This is where homeopathy shines. Homeopathy is best at preventing disease before it even occurs. If disease has already occurred, it can lessen symptoms. In some instances, it can put diseases in remission. I've even heard of some people who have completely reversed incurable diseases, though I cannot substantiate their claims. In any case, homeopathy should be the first line of defense for optimal health. It's not the end-all-be-all, but it is a more natural approach.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's also osteopathy, which seeks to treat the patient rather than their disease. And naturopathy, which seeks to leverage the body's own healing properties. I have a hard time telling that part from homeopathy.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I have friends who are on 11 or 12 prescription medications. No doctor on earth can predict what side effects a cocktail like that may have. My brother-in-law is literally a zombie. When I tell a doctor or nurse that I'm on NONE at age 74, it's almost offensive to them.

When part of my legal career was helping mental health agencies involuntarily commit Seriously Mental Ill individuals for treatment, the biggest complaint of those individuals was that there was NO treatment apart from pumping them full of medications that kept them in a near-zombie state. Despite the agencies being staffed with psychiatrists and psychologists, I eventually saw that this was completely true - it was ALL medication.

The other thing I love is the happy, smiling, dancing people in the ubiquitous TV ads while the voice-over describes ghastly side effects far worse than what the medication is intended to treat - or side effects IDENTICAL to what it's intended to treat! My best friend's wife is in early-stage Alzheimer's and they are in a frantic quest for an antidepressant that won't make her more depressed and panicky than she'd be with nothing at all. So far, they've all made her worse.

What insanity. When you realize that Money is the Actual God of this world, even for most believers, it explains a great deal.

Reactions: Jericho and Debp

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are two main schools of medicine: the house of allopathy and the house of homeopathy. Allopathy is the cornerstone of western medicine. Its focus is on treating the symptoms of an illness, mainly through medication. This is where my criticism of modern medicine begins. Medication is used as the first line of defense instead of lifestyle changes or alternative treatments. This has made pharmaceuticals a big business. With such a business model, there is little incentive for doctors to think outside the box. And if they did, they would probably get reprimanded by their supervisors. In certain instances, medication may be necessary, but it should be a last resort and not the first, as it always comes with a cost, either with side effects or in medical bills. There is one area, however, where modern medicine shines, and that is through surgery. If there is a condition that absolutely requires surgery, then modern medicine is the way to go. For everyone else, I think homeopathy is best.

Homeopathy, on the other hand, is focused on treating the cause of the illness either through diet, supplements, or other lifestyle changes. A large majority of modern diseases stem from poor lifestyle choices. This is where homeopathy shines. Homeopathy is best at preventing disease before it even occurs. If disease has already occurred, it can lessen symptoms. In some instances, it can put diseases in remission. I've even heard of some people who have completely reversed incurable diseases, though I cannot substantiate their claims. In any case, homeopathy should be the first line of defense for optimal health. It's not the end-all-be-all, but it is a more natural approach.

It begins with diet and exercise no?

Most people want relief. As such, they aren't always willing to pay the price, in terms of lifestyle changes if a "remedy" is available.

It's why we take pain killers, rather than addressing what causes the pain.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Most people want relief. As such, they aren't always willing to pay the price, in terms of lifestyle changes if a "remedy" is available.

It's why we take pain killers, rather than addressing what causes the pain.
My best friend - I've known him 50 years - is one of those on multiple prescriptions. When it came to cholesterol, the doctor said "We can start with diet and exercise and see how that goes or we can go directly to statins." My buddy said "Prescribe the statins." This may well have been because this is how he'd been conditioned by the society in which we live, but certainly patients are helping drive the medication mania. Thisn is the only reason I can fathom for the incessant TV ads - so viewers will run screaming to their doctors "Why am I not on this fabulous stuff, you quack?"

Speaking of which, many years ago I wondered how all the advertising for the Purple Pill, Nexium, could possibly be cost-effective. Then I read a long article in the New Yorker about how the maker had tweaked the formula in order to be able to renew the patent and how this is a standard pharmaceutical game. The article mentioned in passing that during the original patent Nexium had generated something like $36 BILLION in revenue.

Oh.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Have you ever read the original Hippocratic oath? It said using pills are a last resort. That's medicine. In scripture, Medicine translates from pharmakeos to the term Witchcraft. (The word that we get, Pharmacy from. Witchcraft.

So it would seem that, the witch doctors took over the world. The Hippocarstic oath was changed an...1963? To be a seriously pill centered oath. The original one talks about homeopathy. So you're on the right track.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What insanity. When you realize that Money is the Actual God of this world, even for most believers, it explains a great deal.
The world knows it's God is money and that is no surprise but alarmingly, many of those who claim Jesus have a love for money which in truth, outshines their love for Jesus.
How can one tell? I can tell by what is prioritised in their conversation; by what makes their eyes go bright and what they happily engage and promote when opportunity knocks.

Reactions: MA2444

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I have friends who are on 11 or 12 prescription medications. No doctor on earth can predict what side effects a cocktail like that may have. My brother-in-law is literally a zombie. When I tell a doctor or nurse that I'm on NONE at age 74, it's almost offensive to them.

There's a lady who goes to my church; she's a friend of the family. She was originally diagnosed with cancer but has received treatment and, I believe, is currently in remission. But every time she goes to the doctor, they seem to find something wrong. She's had several rounds of chemotherapy already. I have no idea what medications they have her on, but now she's losing weight and her hands are trembling. I don't know, but it seems like what they are doing is not very conducive to health. At a certain point, I think she needs to take a break from the doctors and medication and go on her own healing journey.

For sure, most people like the easy way out. My brother is the same way. He's overweight and has high blood pressure. He would rather take a pill than make any lifestyle changes. But pills just mask the symptoms and won't be better for health in the long run.

Have you ever read the original Hippocratic oath? It said using pills are a last resort. That's medicine.

Hippocratus also said, "All disease begins in the gut." The more I've read about gut health, the more I'm convinced this is true.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever read the original Hippocratic oath? It said using pills are a last resort. That's medicine. In scripture, Medicine translates from pharmakeos to the term Witchcraft. (The word that we get, Pharmacy from. Witchcraft.

So it would seem that, the witch doctors took over the world. The Hippocarstic oath was changed an...1963? To be a seriously pill centered oath. The original one talks about homeopathy. So you're on the right track.
The original Hippocratic oath was created in part to exclude from practice those "doctors" who preyed on the public for monetary gain. The sorcerer would poison the well, and then sell "cures" that were effective only because they stopped poisoning the well.

First, do no harm...

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The original Hippocratic oath was created in part to exclude from practice those "doctors" who preyed on the public for monetary gain. The sorcerer would poison the well, and then sell "cures" that were effective only because they stopped poisoning the well.

First, do no harm...

It's certainly not a coincidence that the Greek word pharmakeia is used for our modern day medicines, and the dispensaries of modern medicines-- pharmacies.

But before it was used for pharmaceuticals, it was the word used for sorcery and poison potions.

Whatcha doin????

Oh-- just making medicine.....

1712071595556.png