The way I view church, music, and tithing are all changing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We once went to a different church with a friend and it was awful; more like a concert than a worship service. Bright lights lighting the stage whilst the 'auditorium' remained dark. Music played so loud that you couldn't hear yourself sing.

To be honest, it was difficult to find a church in my area that wasn't concert-y. A lot of them were just like that.

Reactions: Pearl

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just wanted to talk about some things that have been on my mind lately about church, music, and tithing and how they are changing. Ill try to keep it brief.

Church: It's not a building but the people. The original church met in house gatherings where more than just the pastor shared. Now I still go to a traditional church but could definitely see us going for a house church in the future.

Why? I think fellowship should go more than surface deep, I think the costs of a large building take funds away from helping those in need and more than just the pastor have spiritual gifts.

Tithing: Malachi 3:10 is abused today. Tithing ten percent was a law of Moses and Galatians explains that those who are trying to obey the law must do the whole law orbe cursed. I believe now that you are free to offer your church money as you feel led but that you should be primarily giving to the poor and other believers in need like the early church did.

The modern traditional church system has a business side with bills to pay. But I find myself questioning this more and more every day.

Music: I'm starting to believe that many mainstream Christian artists see the faith as a business opportunity and not a ministry. Many of them are signed to the same record labels that promote highly unGodly secular music labels.

Id like to branch out into more hymns and other music where I can easily discern that the music is to the Lord and not for the world.

DITTO :Agreed:

Reactions: Stan B and Wynona

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm not opposed to capitalism at all. I just see it as wrong that my church puts all its money back into the building and does very little by comparison for those in need.

We went into debt to buy $15,000 worth of carpet and chairs. We did about $200 in our last outreach.

So you are a part of a capitalistic narcissistic church. Maybe bring that up a bit more.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you are a part of a capitalistic narcissistic church. Maybe bring that up a bit more.

I don't think there's a perfect church out there. But if you have an alternative you know about, Id sincerely like to hear about it.

Reactions: Nancy

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I just wanted to talk about some things that have been on my mind lately about church, music, and tithing and how they are changing. Ill try to keep it brief.

Church: It's not a building but the people. The original church met in house gatherings where more than just the pastor shared. Now I still go to a traditional church but could definitely see us going for a house church in the future.

Why? I think fellowship should go more than surface deep, I think the costs of a large building take funds away from helping those in need and more than just the pastor have spiritual gifts.

Tithing: Malachi 3:10 is abused today. Tithing ten percent was a law of Moses and Galatians explains that those who are trying to obey the law must do the whole law orbe cursed. I believe now that you are free to offer your church money as you feel led but that you should be primarily giving to the poor and other believers in need like the early church did.

The modern traditional church system has a business side with bills to pay. But I find myself questioning this more and more every day.

Music: I'm starting to believe that many mainstream Christian artists see the faith as a business opportunity and not a ministry. Many of them are signed to the same record labels that promote highly unGodly secular music labels.

Id like to branch out into more hymns and other music where I can easily discern that the music is to the Lord and not for the world.

Hi Wynona,

Glad to see you are addressing an important issue. The way `Church` has been presented over the past few centuries is NOT Biblical.

The public meeting that saved and unsaved can attend is run by an organiser/s who is under the law of the land. This means they are required to make sure the building and surrounds are in accordance to health and safety measures, plus health and safety measures for the people. The money collected go towards this.

The building needs to be safe, plumbing, electricity, ramps, toilets, insurance, etc etc. The organiser needs to make sure they are not going against the law of the land. And those laws are constantly changing to include respect for all religions, sexual preferences etc. Thus the organisor can not speak against such behaviour and are also required to include such in the presentation of the meeting.

A speaker presents a topic and the public just listen. Any religious words, names that are presented really only cover up the fact that the Public meeting is just that.

Whereas the true `church` the ekklesia, the called out ones of the Body of Christ, meet together in small groups where each one shares and contributes. No one is over any one else. The mature ones would be discipling others in everyday life and each part of the Body would be giving of their gifts to build up the Body of Christ. (Eph. 4: 11 - 16)

Quite a difference there. Note also Jesus did NOT say go build buildings and have public meetings. Jesus said `Go make disciples.`

So...who is your disciple? (Question for ALL of us.)

regards, Marilyn.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

* Gods House, God called a House of Prayer.
* My Preference in Church Music, a piano, organ, singing of praising Hymns, traditional.
* Dislike Rock band instruments, loud, IMO, verges more on Entertainment, A gimmick to lure people to the pews.
* Don’t care for motivational speakers “posing” as Preachers. Church is not the Place for making a person feel good about themselves!
* Don’t care for MEGA churches, TOO impersonal...watching the “preacher” on a big screen, uh, nah.
* MONEY, MONEY, MONEY...Pledging...eh. I do believe people should give WHAT they can, to where they ARE fed the Word of God...NOT pressured, Not Begged....a donation slot box, or something thereof.

Back to motivational speakers...religious theme..no issue...just not IN Church.
Back to rock/ country/ whatever music....religious theme...no issue...just not in IN Church.

AND FYI...Because of the Govt TAXING churches....YES...they ARE A BUSINESS, conduct Business according to Law the Corrupt Feds come up with, keep business records, blah, blah, blah. Corrupt!

I get your frustration. Figured that out years ago. We Church at Home.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Christian Culture is a business. It has little or nothing to do with Jesus Wynona.
Questions are good.....appropriate answers even better.
I join a zoom meeting of about a dozen folk Tuesday Australian time and Monday evening for you Nth American folk. It's a time for questions, most of how our views relate to Jesus. If you would like to poke your head in and check it out I can forward the details to you....let me know.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good post there, @Stan B! I remember reading that in Scripture and going, "Hey, thats so different then how we think of tithing today!"

They basically bad a party unto the Lord with the tithe.
What i say next is not gossip nor to condemn anyone but rather to warn us .
Stan B supports abortion sister . We must do what we can to persaude him otherwise .
It simply dont matter if we get some things right , IF we support evil we need correction .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just dropping a line to encourage you sister. You are on the right track. Keep thinking, keep believing and above all, keep loving people as I know you already do. ")

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is just one way your cult promotes its lies; by twisting the English language into total nonsense!

Wiping your muddy feet upon Scripture, you are saying a fetus in the womb is a life; but GOD says that one does not become a living being until HE breathes into it the BREATH of LIFE!!

Your total disregard of what God says, and Scripture says, leaves the one you bow to, very transparently Satan!
Rather odd that even as JOHN slumbered in the womb , it says the babe LEAPED FOR JOY .
How can a blob lead for joy . Stan you are in deadly and grave danger , Out of love for your soul and my desire as only good for you ,
I warn you . REPENT of this evil mindset .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What i say next is not gossip nor to condemn anyone but rather to warn us .
Stan B supports abortion sister . We must do what we can to persaude him otherwise .
It simply dont matter if we get some things right , IF we support evil we need correction .

The Holy Spirit usually leads me to give serious corrections in private, Brother. This topic isn't the right place.

Reactions: Stan B

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Wynona: "Music: I'm starting to believe that many mainstream Christian artists see the faith as a business opportunity and not a ministry. Many of them are signed to the same record labels that promote highly unGodly secular music labels.
Id like to branch out into more hymns and other music where I can easily discern that the music is to the Lord and not for the world."

Some contemporary praise choruses years ago had lovely melodies and spiritually inspiring lyrics. But now praise choruses seem like the hit parage in the sense that they are deemed quickly out of date. Worse, I find mody of these melodies banal and the lyrics too often highly repetitive and shallow. Try as I can, I can no longer worship in song, when these choruses are sung. Oh for the grand old poetically elegant and spiritually meaningful hymns of my youth!

Reactions: Nancy