The Way Of The Spirit (Part 2)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

wayofthespirit

More often partly wrong than wholly right
Feb 16, 2010
North Norfolk, UK
"They are not all Israel, which are of Israel: Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children:
But, In Isaac shall the seed be called. Therefore it is not they which are the children of the flesh who are the children of the real Israel: but it is the children of the promise"

“Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
And this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their heart”

“When the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: and show the work of the law written in their hearts”

“Ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. For our sufficiency is of God; who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.”

“God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son”

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”

One of Christ’s first tasks when he began his ministry was to explain to the Jews, in his Sermon on the Mount, that God now had a New Covenant for a New Israel; the essence of which was spiritual rather than written in tablets of stone or in ink on papyrus.

Emphasising that the New Covenant in no way nullified the old laws and commandments, Christ detailed how that it would, nevertheless, raise each law and commandment to a new and higher level of Spiritual expectation.

He took six examples of what that would mean, saying of each “you have heard that it was said of old, but I now say unto you…..”

Of those who had been the very strictest of observers of the old laws and commandments Christ said in conclusion “except your righteousness shall exceed that of the scribes and the Pharisees you shall in no way enter the Kingdom of heaven”

The fact that entry to the Kingdom, based on spiritual faith rather than legal observance of laws and commandments, was hard for Jews to understand, was then emphasised by Christ’s meeting with Nicodemus.

Being a ruler of the Jews Nicodemus would have been well versed in the prophesies of God’s new Covenant but Christ nevertheless had to upbraid him by saying “Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

This New Covenant of Spirit based guidance came to full fruition at Pentecost when Christ was “finally taken up” fulfilling his promise that “wither I go ye cannot come but I will not leave you comfortless for I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name.
He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."

And that IMHO was the way of the spirit taught by the apostles by word of mouth and by epistle for 60-70 years, and followed by the Church of Christ until 300 odd years later when Constantine first began the state adoption of Christianity and ordered a Council to convene to define its authorised beliefs and on which apostolic writings they should be based.
That church then became the Church of Rome and they and Constantine consolidated the growing reversion of the church back into reliance on written words to the subordination of the Holy Spirit.

But that growing apostasy had been foretold by Christ in his Parable of the Mustard seed and came to full fruition in the Protestant Reformation when the ‘birds of the air’ began building their multi denominational nests in the branches of what, by then, had become a great tree.

I’m going to close with an extract from my blogspot, following which, in view of the denouncements which I’ve already received, I will withdraw if members (including Mr Admin) would kindly let me know if that is the general preference.

FROM MY BLOGSPOT

As you read, please keep to the fore that it is the height of presumptive arrogance for anyone to say to his fellow man "such and such is precisely what God has said and precisely what he has meant"

The mysteries of Heaven's Kingdom cannot be seen by mankind other than through a glass darkly, and I am no exception..

Ours is simply to trust, and not to reason how or why in respect of the more extreme 'mysteries of godliness'.

My objective is not to try to unravel too much theology, but mainly to encourage Christians everywhere to appreciate how it is that Heaven's Kingdom is 'within' in the sense that nothing and no one can embrace it in its entirety.
It is however there, but it is hidden in the field of life, which includes individuals and groups of believers, churches, the bible, and is even within many other written and spoken words...... "Seek and ye shall find"

As was the case with Timothy "I have read the scriptures from my earliest childhood, and I believe that they made me wise unto salvation through faith in Christ Jesus"
But my 'New Covenant emphasis is to believe that to have happened as a result of God's Holy Spirit turning words, written on tablets of stone or in ink on papyrus, into the "Living Word of God, written in the fleshy table of my heart".

Mike.

Reactions: gregg

wayofthespirit

Feb 16, 2010
North Norfolk, UK
I keep trying to add a poll asking "should wayofthespirit shut up and withdraw" but I don't seem to be able to do so.
I'll have one more try.

wayofthespirit

Feb 16, 2010
North Norfolk, UK
PS...Let's be perfectly clear about this.
I am not denying the scriptures per se.
I read and quote them constantly.....you must surely have noticed.
My burden is that they must be subordinate to the communicative work of the Holy Spirit and not vice versa.
The Holy Spirit is a vital person of the Godhead.....the 'Bible' is not.

With some it is not just that they make the Holy Spirit subordinate to the Bible....they virtually render him obsolete.

In my battles against such misconception I guess it is understandable that I sometimes appear to be doing the opposite....i.e. to render the scripture virtually obsolete.....that is not my intention.

All that I say is what I feel is necessary in order to get believers to accord the Holy Spirit his rightful place.
To those whose emphasis effectively renders him obsolete I obviously have to go to greater extremes to shake them out of their misconception.

We are 2000 years off the last of the apostolic writings.....the Bible is full of 'apparent' ambiguities.......some scripture is of literal, present day language, face value, meaning......some is figurative and allegorical or metaphoric......it isn't always certain which is which.....the list is endleess.
But so what if the Holy Spirit, as God's appointed communicative means for the post Pentecost dispensation of the New Covenant, is now our source of infallible appropriation of scripture to the differeing need of each of us.

I am accused of being dogmatic in my emphasis.....well in respect of the authority of scripture relative to the authority of the third person of the Godhead my plea is 'guilty'.

In most other things I see more clearly just how dark is the glass through which we have to look until we see Christ face to face.

Comprende moi?

Mike.

Irish

Jan 31, 2010
I am not wishing for you to withdraw........

How do you handle this?

John 1
[sup]1[/sup]In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Remember these books were written down by men also, as was Revelation.

Irish

wayofthespirit

Feb 16, 2010
North Norfolk, UK
I am not wishing for you to withdraw........

How do you handle this?

John 1
[sup]1[/sup]In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Remember these books were written down by men also, as was Revelation.

To me it is speaking of Christ himself (the logos) and I piece it together throughout that first chapter, plus Hebrews 1, in the way that I did in my OP

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. For the law was given by Moses, (the Old Covenant) but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. (the New Covenant)”

“God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, (the Old Covenant) hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son” (the New Covenant) see Jer 31:33

Are we OK so far?

Mike

Irish

Jan 31, 2010
I can see we are going to have to go at this slow, for both our sakes and the readers. The Sermon on the mount was given within the framework of the proclamations, and will be in full effect at that time. I agree it takes you to a higher meaning, and you may use it for application, but for interpretation we have to stay in that framework. I am OK with the scripture, but we may understand it differently. Let's continue....

Irish

wayofthespirit

Feb 16, 2010
North Norfolk, UK
I can see we are going to have to go at this slow, for both our sakes and the readers. The Sermon on the mount was given within the framework of the proclamations, and will be in full effect at that time. I agree it takes you to a higher meaning, and you may use it for application, but for interpretation we have to stay in that framework. I am OK with the scripture, but we may understand it differently. Let's continue....

Irish

But that isn't related to your post#4 and my reply#5 surely?

Is it then a new unrelated line of thought or am I just thick?

Mike

Irish

Jan 31, 2010
But that isn't related to your post#4 and my reply#5 surely?

Is it then a new unrelated line of thought or am I just thick?

Mike

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”

One of Christ’s first tasks when he began his ministry was to explain to the Jews, in his Sermon on the Mount, that God now had a New Covenant for a New Israel; the essence of which was spiritual rather than written in tablets of stone or in ink on papyrus."

You said to go to your original post.......It looked to me like you where connecting these. I'll re-read post 4 and 5.....

Irish

wayofthespirit

Feb 16, 2010
North Norfolk, UK
The selected quotes in blue were ones that I picked out for their relevance to the change over from Old Covenant to New Covenant for the New Israel,
When I switched to 'black' it was because I was beginning commentary rather than simply giving quotes, so the first sentance of 'black' wasn't meant to be solely relative to the last quote of 'Blue'.

Churchill said of America and Britain "two great nations separated by a common language".
Throw in a touch of 'Irish' and all that's missing is the Kerryman.
rolleyes.gif

Mike.

Irish

Jan 31, 2010
The selected quotes in blue were ones that I picked out for their relevance to the change over from Old Covenant to New Covenant for the New Israel,
When I switched to 'black' it was because I was beginning commentary rather than simply giving quotes, so the first sentance of 'black' wasn't meant to be solely relative to the last quote of 'Blue'.

Churchill said of America and Britain "two great nations separated by a common language".
Throw in a touch of 'Irish' and all that's missing is the Kerryman.
rolleyes.gif

Mike.

Churchill should have been a stand up comic, he had a real talent!

Irish

(I live in Minnesota) :)