The Word and the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A friend of mine related something that happened to him one day while hiking with 2 other men. They became lost. One had a map and the other had a compass. They could not agree on where they were or what direction to take. So my friend suggested that they combine their efforts so as to work together. The map didn't tell the whole story...but neither did the compass. But putting both together revealed their true location. They soon become un-lost!
icon_smile.gif

I think this is like many differences we have in the church concerning direction and where we are.

Some claim sola scriptura! Others claim to follow the Holy Spirit.

But without both in perfect accord, we will soon become lost.

So the church is to follow both the Spirit and the word! Both in perfect accord!
nod.gif

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They should have brought a GPS
laugh.gif

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
They should have brought a GPS
laugh.gif

Oh nuts, I was going to post that line.

A friend of mine related something that happened to him one day while hiking with 2 other men. They became lost. One had a map and the other had a compass. They could not agree on where they were or what direction to take. So my friend suggested that they combine their efforts so as to work together. The map didn't tell the whole story...but neither did the compass. But putting both together revealed their true location. They soon become un-lost!
icon_smile.gif

I think this is like many differences we have in the church concerning direction and where we are.

Some claim sola scriptura! Others claim to follow the Holy Spirit.

But without both in perfect accord, we will soon become lost.

So the church is to follow both the Spirit and the word! Both in perfect accord!
nod.gif

Good post, and an accurate observation of the empty headedness that is so pervasive in the church today.

Apparently the benefits of the reformation have begun to erode as each man thinks he's a little pope and can make his own uneducated exegesis at any time with impunity. This is one reason we were witness to the rapture circus this past weekend. Too few actually STUDY the word. Fewer still apply it.

It is an axiom of humanity that people are too lazy to examine issues deeply. As a result they find and follow a man or group of men they believe to have the correct answers. Not having studied for themselves they are in danger of falling into a trap. Hence young Muslim men are persuaded to sacrifice their lives for the arguments started by old ones. Religious persons are persuaded to prepare to beam up Star Trek style when there is no logical reason to do so. The one is a tragedy and the other is a comedy of fools. Neither study, dig or reason for themselves.

Consequently the Biblical GPS given to us does little good. There is no perfect accord, spiritual or otherwise.

Case in point are the endless discussions on these pages. Have you tried to explain just one of them to an average church goer? Chances are you'll loose them before you even get started. I know because I've tried it.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Make thee two trumpets of silver; of a whole piece shalt thou make them: that thou mayest use them for the calling of the assembly, and for the journeying of the camps. - Numbers 10:2

Lets take apart the metaphor!

First Trumpet - The Spirit of God - The Worship Leader

Second Trumpet - The Word of God - The Pastor / Evangelist

Whole piece - They won't disagree with one another

Calling of the assembly - The way to have church!

Journeying of the camps - The way to keep good direction in a church!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Make thee two trumpets of silver; of a whole piece shalt thou make them: that thou mayest use them for the calling of the assembly, and for the journeying of the camps. - Numbers 10:2

Lets take apart the metaphor!

First Trumpet - The Spirit of God - The Worship Leader

Second Trumpet - The Word of God - The Pastor / Evangelist

Whole piece - They won't disagree with one another

Calling of the assembly - The way to have church!

Journeying of the camps - The way to keep good direction in a church!

LOL :lol: How is this become an apologetic for the sunday morning service!???

Actually the 2 trumpets are the 2 testaments...the 2 tablets of the commandments....the 2 main laws to love God and others.

But an interesting spin nonetheless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL :lol: How is this become an apologetic for the sunday morning service!???

Actually the 2 trumpets are the 2 testaments...the 2 tablets of the commandments....the 2 main laws to love God and others.

But an interesting spin nonetheless!

It's important! We have charismatic churches in our area that have good worship.... But lacking in the word... Then we have churches where the word is preached via a good preacher.... And yet the worship is weak. There are scarce few churches I know where the music ministry and the ministry in the word are both good!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's important! We have charismatic churches in our area that have good worship.... But lacking in the word... Then we have churches where the word is preached via a good preacher.... And yet the worship is weak. There are scarce few churches I know where the music ministry and the ministry in the word are both good!

I'm sorry but to me it sounds like you are looking for a restaurant that has good hamburgers AND good fries.

We live in a consumer society. Even God has become a commodity these days in our market driven economies.

Solution: YOU be the one who worships and abides in the truth. Seek out others who also wish to be such vessels AND...church happens! :)

There is nothing like good ol' home cooking!

Seriously, we need to study the bible deeply and be led of the Spirit ourselves...on an everyday basis. No organized religious institution will help you every day. Seek out a deeper fellowship with others who like yourself, desire to grow. A small group. Commit your selves to each other. That is really what church is about. Be the help the others need. Do it for them.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I'm sorry but to me it sounds like you are looking for a restaurant that has good hamburgers AND good fries.

We live in a consumer society. Even God has become a commodity these days in our market driven economies.

Solution: YOU be the one who worships and abides in the truth. Seek out others who also wish to be such vessels AND...church happens! :)

There is nothing like good ol' home cooking!

Seriously, we need to study the bible deeply and be led of the Spirit ourselves...on an everyday basis. No organized religious institution will help you every day. Seek out a deeper fellowship with others who like yourself, desire to grow. A small group. Commit your selves to each other. That is really what church is about. Be the help the others need. Do it for them.

Excellent post.
smile.gif

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Yep... we are supposed to be like a branch and a tree... a branch doesn't break off from the tree and reconnect for an hour on Sunday and Wednesday... a branch is connected to the tree 24/7... and the only way that relationship is possible with our Father is if it's based on Christ within... the Word within... by His Spirit...

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Holy Spirit, knows where you are, knows where you are going, and know how you need to get there, so He is all things in one, Christ is the truth and the way and the life, so as long as I follow Him, ill never be lost.

In His Love