"The word was a god"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ountain in Galilee.

Verse 19
All the nations (παντα τα εθνη). Not just the Jews scattered among the Gentiles, but the Gentiles themselves in every land. And not by making Jews of them, though this point is not made plain here. It will take time for the disciples to grow into this Magna Charta of the missionary propaganda. But here is the world program of the Risen Christ and it should not be forgotten by those who seek to foreshorten it all by saying that Jesus expected his second coming to be very soon, even within the lifetime of those who heard. He did promise to come, but he has never named the date. Meanwhile we are to be ready for his coming at any time and to look for it joyfully. But we are to leave that to the Father and push on the campaign for world conquest. This program includes making disciples or learners (μαθητευσατε) such as they were themselves. That means evangelism in the fullest sense and not merely revival meetings. Baptism in (εις, not into) the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, in the name of the Trinity. Objection is raised to this language in the mouth of Jesus as too theological and as not a genuine part of the Gospel of Matthew for the same reason. See Matthew 11:27, where Jesus speaks of the Father and the Son as here. But it is all to no purpose. There is a chapter devoted to this subject in my The Christ of the Logia in which the genuineness of these words is proven. The name of Jesus is the essential part of it as is shown in the Acts. Trine immersion is not taught as the Greek Church holds and practices, baptism in the name of the Father, then of the Son, then of the Holy Spirit. The use of name (ονομα) here is a common one in the Septuagint and the papyri for power or authority. For the use of εις with ονομα in the sense here employed, not meaning into, see Matthew 10:41 (cf. also Matthew 12:41).
Matthew 28 - Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament - Bible Commentaries - StudyLight.org
That ignores most of the biblical text about His 2nd coming. Scripture plainly says that the Holy people loose their power, and that the saints are overcome by the beast:

"It was granted to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them. And authority was given him over every tribe, tongue, and nation. All who dwell on the earth will worship him, whose names have not been written in the Book of Life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." Revelation 13:7-8

We are "destined" by the prophetic word to face utter defeat until the moment when Christ returns and destroys the Antichrist with the breath of His coming. We overcome the world by not loving our lives and resisting sin by holding to our testimony of Christ and the redemption in His blood.
Jesus overcame the world, and we only overcome in Him.

"And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death." Revelation 12:11

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
"Son of man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven." makes him God

Revelation 1:8
King James Version
8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
The Biblical witness to the Deity of Christ is glorious indeed.

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 5:19

The authoritative, trinitarian reference work, The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology says of some of the NT uses of the preposition ἐν (“in”) specifically as found in the phrase “in Christ” (ἐν Χριστῷ):

(a) Incorporative union: .... “those who are in union with Christ Jesus” (Ro. 8:1).... (b) Sphere of reference: “I know a Christian man” (2 Cor. 5:21). “We make our boast in the sphere of Christ Jesus” (Phil. 3:3)... (c) Agency or instrumentality: “They are justified ... through the redemption accomplished by Christ Jesus” (Ro. 3:24). “The veil is not lifted because only through Christ is it removed” (2 Cor. 3:14). (d) Cause:.... “All will be made alive by virtue of their connexion and solidarity with Christ” ( 1 Cor. 15:22). (e) Mode:.... (f) Location: .... “Have this attitude among you that also characterized Christ Jesus” (Phil. 2:5). (g) Authoritative basis: “We urge you on the authority of the Lord Jesus” (1 Thess. 4:1).” - p. 1192, Vol. 3, Zondervan, 1986.

GW
"In other words, God was using Christ to restore his relationship with humanity."
GNT
"Our message is that God was making all human beings his friends through Christ."
NIRV
"God was bringing the world back to himself through Christ."
AT (Goodspeed)
"How God through Christ reconciled the world to himself"
C.B. Williams
"For it was through Christ that God was reconciling the world to Himself"

Last edited:
Reactions: The Learner

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please note Chrstians: Kingdom Hall is CONSTANTLY attacking the clear meanings of our Christian Bible, implying JW's are Bible Language experts because Kingdom Hall told them they are.

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please note Chrstians: Kingdom Hall is CONSTANTLY attacking the clear meanings of our Christian Bible, implying JW's are Bible Language experts because Kingdom Hall told them they are.
None of the above post #964 (as in most other posts) by me is from the WTS. Unlike many here, I give proper citation information for the quotes I post.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of the above post (as in most other posts) by me is from the WTS. Unlike many here, I give proper citation information for the quotes I post.
And NONE of it changes Christian Bible FACTS that declare Jesus to be God of the Bible and Hell fire is eternal. Hell will be filled with those who don't believe in Hell.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And NONE of it changes Christian Bible FACTS that declare Jesus to be God of the Bible and Hell fire is eternal. Hell will be filled with those who don't believe in Hell.
You can misuse the Bible to make it say anything you want.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I learned this weekend from
God or a god: John 1:1c the Greek Grammar

Jack Kinneer

I am going to be kicked off by my wife in 15 Mintues. Please, watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/c/JackKinneer

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
google Jack Kinneer
Dr. Jack Kinneer retires from RPTS - RP Global Alliance
Jack Kinneer | Resources from Ligonier Ministries
Rev. Dr. Jack Kinneer Sermons | SermonAudio
There are three verses in John 1 with the same word order using Theosis. The three verses use God in reference to the Father with the same Grammar as John 1:1c. If you translated John 11:1c as "a god" then you must also translate the three other verses as "a god".

In John 1:1c the greek word order is God was The Word making both equal as God, no way out of this.

Reactions: RLT63

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You really should take the time to carefully read my studies of John's grammar concerning John 1:1c.

But I've tried so many times to get trinitarians to give an honest examination of them that I know it's hopeless. Nevertheless, for the umpteenth time here are the links to them. They show the video above (and the many trinitarian authorities who want John 1:1c to be their very best evidence of a Jesus is God belief) to be absolutely wrong.

Examining the Trinity: John 1:1c Primer - For Grammatical Rules That Supposedly "Prove" the Trinity

Examining the Trinity

Examining the Trinity: DEFinite John 1:1c (50+ pages)

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You really should take the time to carefully read my studies of John's grammar concerning John 1:1c.

But I've tried so many times to get trinitarians to give an honest examination of them that I know it's hopeless. Nevertheless, for the umpteenth time here are the links to them. They show the video above (and the many trinitarian authorities who want John 1:1c to be their very best evidence of a Jesus is God belief) to be absolutely wrong.

Examining the Trinity: John 1:1c Primer - For Grammatical Rules That Supposedly "Prove" the Trinity

Examining the Trinity

Examining the Trinity: DEFinite John 1:1c (50+ pages)
If God isn't your Savior you don't have a Savior.

Isaiah 43
11 I, even I, am the LORD, And besides Me there is no savior.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 5
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

Yes, Jesus is God, THE Judge.