theological hubris

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. (1 Corinthians 3:18)
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: (1 Corinthians 1:27-28)

There is an air of Hubris in the church, that many fail to see and it is mainly found in those who are in the know theologically. Having had higher learning theologically is a blessing, but also a burden because of this, in that this higher learning tends to put the blinders on that we know it all. We don't. We all know in part, the whole counsel of God, and to think in systematic terms, whatever that system may be closes us off to seeing what other Brothers and Sisters in Christ see.

You see this hubris at work all over the forums we participate on, you see it in the denominations, you see it in the church hierarchies and membership requirements. You see it in eschatology particularly where one's system of understanding leads to one conclusion and to question that conclusion is seen as heretical by some. God is bigger than any of those systems, and it is hubris to think you can figure God out by using a human construct such as a theological system.

When I began to earnestly study scripture, I was full of those systems, dispensationalism, fundamentalism, Pre trib, etc. But with the leading of the Spirit, I Began to search for the truth, and not another system of understanding. I chose to Know nothing save Christ and Him Crucified, which later I came to see as form of Socratic ignorance, only Paul's version of this which in keeping Christ as the center, what I later called "Pauline Ignorance". It is from this point that the Holy Ghost can BEGIN to teach us, and not until then, the deep things of God. You see, there is a big difference between Socratic ignorance and Pauline ignorance.... Socratic ignorance is "ever learning while never arriving at the Truth", While Pauline ignorance helps us to arrive at the Truth.

Often times, it is the simple people God places in our lives that teach us the deepest truths of God, Not the well educated.... in fact, those well-educated ones often feed that hubris in us by giving us certainty of knowing devoid of divine revelation. My first experience with this, and coming to see this hubris was on the first Forum I commented on. There was one older person there who believed in some very strange eschatological positions (partial preterism), and he was a simple soul who had a hard time defending his positions, but you could see and know he was a faithful Christian. He was often and continually hounded by another person who had a great understanding of the biblical languages and often would oppose this person with long diatribes using Greek and Hebrew languages and His systematic understanding of Eschatology. Many times I myself sided with the latter because his views were more in line with my own systematic understanding. It was not until I started carefully listening to that simple man, that I began to see a truth that his viewpoint was presenting That was virtually devoid in my own systematic understanding, That being the second move of the Spirit in the believer. Now His views focus on this second move led to his preterist view of the rapture, which stated that the "rapture" already occurred, and continuously occurs in believers who are transformed by this second move of the Spirit.... an entirely incorrect conclusion, to arrive at, but one based on a fundamental truth, that dispensationalism and fundamentalism fails to account for. It was only then that I came to ask the question; "What else have I missed?"

Now I don't want this to become a long winded debate on the merits and flaws of preterism, But rather as a way of saying that understanding Truth, God's Truth, the deep things of God, Comes when we admit that we only know in part. Those truths are not revealed by the wise, but by the simple hearts we encounter in life. How many times has a young child said something to you with a profound truth when you laid aside your own proud understanding? Or the Old story of the poor fisherman confronted by the rich businessman who tells him he should start a fishing business and make lots of money doing so, get his company listed on the stock exchange and make millions.... The poor fisherman then asks what then, and the rich man says, then you can retire on a the beach somewhere.... "and do what?, go fishing anytime you want.... Sometimes those systems interfere with us arriving at the Truth till much later in Life, after much toil and bravado and hubris has taken its toll on us.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Often times, it is the simple people God places in our lives that teach us the deepest truths of God, Not the well educated....

All the time my brother. I see very simple people who I envy because I sense that they are more filled with the Holy Spirit than I. At the same time, I also see very famous, wealthy, worldly people and then I am thankful that I'm not of the world like them.

Reactions: David H. and Pearl

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The simple want to know truth.

The complicated spend their lives distancing themselves as far from facts and relevant discussion as possible.

Our yearning to know and understand God is, I believe, a Godly endeavor. Where we sometimes go wrong is when a friendly discussion of scripture turns into an argument. We need to recognize when it's time to accept to agree to disagree and remain friends.

Reactions: marks

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

" ... the Center for Global Christianity at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, which is evangelical Protestant, estimates that there are currently 47,000 denominations. ... "

Some also claim that two additional protestant groups are being formed every month. It's hard to imagine that this is the kind of unity that Christ wanted to see in His Church.

Luke 18:7-9
Amplified Bible

7 And will not [our just] God defend and avenge His elect [His chosen ones] who cry out to Him day and night? Will He delay [in providing justice] on their behalf? 8 I tell you that He will defend and avenge them quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find [this kind of persistent] faith on the earth?” 9 He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves and were confident that they were righteous [posing outwardly as upright and in right standing with God], and who viewed others with contempt:

I have had the displeasure of being involved with different Christian denominations that eat their own, or shoot their own wounded. This is sad and I don't think that this type of 'fellowship' is what the Savior had in mind. Perhaps this is why according to a poll (Barna I think) a number of pastors want to quit.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. (1 Corinthians 3:18)
James 3:13 KJV
Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.

Let's not get all wrapped up in what we think we know. Let us live a good life, loving others, showing we actually know God in so doing.

Much love!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally, I find that those steeped in a lot of head knowledge and theological systems are constantly trying to water down the Bible.

It's useless to argue, even with Scripture, that no, we don't have to sin every way every day and that good works and obedience are not legalism. There are people on this forum making thread after thread about how we don't have to have any goodness or righteousness apart from believing in Jesus.

It's more profitable for me to focus on whether I am walking as Jesus walked like 1 John says. Let people argue and preach against good works if they want to. I need to stay in the Scriptures and let them sober me. I have a long way to go because of my own lukewarmness.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally, I find that those steeped in a lot of head knowledge and theological systems are constantly trying to water down the Bible.

It's useless to argue, even with Scripture, that no, we don't have to sin every way every day and that good works and obedience are not legalism. There are people on this forum making thread after thread about how we don't have to have any goodness or righteousness apart from believing in Jesus.

It's more profitable for me to focus on whether I am walking as Jesus walked like 1 John says. Let people argue and preach against good works if they want to. I need to stay in the Scriptures and let them sober me. I have a long way to go because of my own lukewarmness.
Bingo sister . i see that a whole lot too . They are always trying to water down the BIBLE
and are HEAVING to and cling on what their theological system has twisted into their minds .
As for me , this lamb just simply loves to read the bible . Learning and growing by and in the grace of GOD .
AND YES INDEED . we should be examing to see IF WE BE WALKING as DID JESUS
and not rather as theological systems have programmed men to believe .
JESUS never said lest ye become as wise scholars or sit under wise scholars ye shall not inherit the KINGDOM of GOD .
Rather he said LEST YE become as children . Exactly . NOW HIT the trenches my dear sister .
TO THE LORD CHRIST JESUS shall the lambs point and we will simply love and embrace the things written in the scriptures
and grow and learn . LET THE LORD BE PRAISED .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Many a theological school has destroyed a person .
our beloved brother john once went to one to get his pastoral certificate .
YOU SHOULD SEE what he himself has to say about such a system .
THEY hardly teach on SCRIPTURE . and what scripture they do teach on
YOU CAN BET ITS GONNA TEACH IT AS THEY WERE PROGRAMMED TO SEE IT .
And not as it simply says . Its like the minds are always learning
and they come out sounding very wise and very clever
BUT IF you sit and watch them try and explain parts of the bible to you
THEY ARE TWISTING what it says in order to suit their own theology and not what it TRULY SAYS .