There remains no sacrifice for sins . . .

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 10:26-31 KJV
26) For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28) He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29) Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
30) For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
31) It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

What sacrifice is the writer speaking of?

What does he mean, there remains "no more" sacrifice for sins?

My answer:

You can't keep offering sacrifices if you sin, it's Jesus, or nothing!

Think about it.

No more sacrifice.

Much love!

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't read this out of context. It relates to sacrifices for sin under the old covenant as opposed to the one-time sacrifice for sin that Christ made. And once you have the knowledge of the truth of Christ there is no more sacrifice for sin under the old covenant nor is any necessary which is the knowledge of truth referred to in Hebrews10:26. His one time sacrifice is sufficient. It doesn't mean that if we sin willfully now that Christ's one-time sacrifice no longer can cleanse us. It's relating to the sacrifices under the old covenant not the new under Christ. Read ALL of Hebrews or at least read starting from chapter 8 in regards to understanding this.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 10:26-31 KJV
26) For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28) He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29) Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
30) For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
31) It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

What sacrifice is the writer speaking of?

My answer:

Think about it.

No more sacrifice.

Much love!
The letter is to the "Hebrews", who were not of the gentiles (as we are) but of Abraham, of whom Christ was "the Last." It is a matter of context. They were "the house of Israel", the first "fold" brought (past tense) by Jesus. They died in sin with Christ, their Messiah, and are therefore referred to as "the dead in Christ." As such, that "evil generation" would have no future opportunity in the "other fold" which Christ would also bring, those who are born again of the spirit of God (which Israel was not), which are referred to as "the living in Christ" of whom Christ was "firstfruits."

Thus, the passage was no longer relevant after that "evil generation."

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't mean that if we sin willfully now that Christ's one-time sacrifice no longer can cleanse us

So sin away then!

But are you really Christ’s?

“And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.” (Galatians 5:24)

Maybe not…

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I can’t believe you don’t get it.

Years of leaven blinds you to the truth I guess…

Rubbish!

God inflicted pain and suffering on his people because of sin, there’s comes a point when there remains no more remedy for men who refuse to cease from evil doing (sinning):

“Through the wrath of the LORD of hosts is the land darkened, and the people shall be as the fuel of the fire: no man shall spare his brother.” (Isaiah 9:19)

“He, that being often reproved hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy.” (Proverbs 29:1)

Reactions: amigo de christo

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My answer:

I'm thinking along the same lines. My reasoning is this:

One of the major themes of the letter to the Hebrews is warnings against apostasy (falling away from Christ), stated up front in Hebrews 2:1 and repeated in multiple places throughout the letter, most notably in Hebrews 6:4-6. Based on his OT references, I think it's safe to assume that the author's audience is Jewish-Christians, and they are in danger of leaving the Christian faith, possibly under the threat of persecution (Hebrews 10:32-34; 12:4?). The immediate context of chapters 9 and 10 before the verse in question argues that the sacrifices for sin prescribed in Torah have been superseded by Christ. (Do I need to flesh this out a little more?) If you leave Christ, there's nothing left to go home to.

(I'm going to add here that this argument would make sense to a first-century believer who came to Christ from a first-century Jewish background, when the Temple sacrificial system was still in place, pre-70 A.D. Then the question becomes, how do we as twenty-first-century believers who came to Christ from gentile backgrounds and who consider blood sacrifices as primitive, how should we interpret and apply it?)

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can’t believe you don’t get it.

Years of leaven blinds you to the truth I guess…

Rubbish!

God inflicted pain and suffering on his people because of sin, there’s comes a point when there remains no more remedy for men who refuse to cease from evil doing (sinning):

“Through the wrath of the LORD of hosts is the land darkened, and the people shall be as the fuel of the fire: no man shall spare his brother.” (Isaiah 9:19)

“He, that being often reproved hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy.” (Proverbs 29:1)
You aren't actually dealing with the passage itself.

It's not saying, No more remedy. It's not saying you won't have consequences if you sin. It is saying, there remains no more sacrifice for sin.

What is a sacrifice, and why were they offered?

Much love!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, @marks

So you believe God killed and slaughtered his people in the Old Testament knowing they couldn’t be sinless?

What kind of God is that?

Not the one of the Bible!

The people can stop sinning!

But they don’t want to!

Much like today!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you believe God killed and slaughtered his people in the Old Testament knowing they couldn’t be sinless?
This sounds like you would have me to be accusing God of unrighteousness.

Is that the idea?

Much love!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This sounds like you would have me to be accusing God of unrighteousness.

Is that the idea?

Much love!

Again:

But they don’t want to!

Much like today!

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again:

But they don’t want to!

Much like today!

If you think that a person can” stop sinning”, you merely prove that you don't understand what Sin “ is”....
When it comes to Sin, The Law, and Especially Jesus’ remarks that further explain that Law , That He Addressed in the Sermon on the Mount , make clear that God has you and everybody else “ trapped like a rat”.....If you merely harbor a Lustful Though , you are an Adulterer....ever get angry with somebody ? You are no better than a murderer! And even if you “ could” keep the Law, and even if you “ did” have a 100% 24/7 Pure thought life, you still have a big problem—- how about those pesky “ Sins Of Omission” That your deluded types never want to discuss? You know that it’s the right thing to do to bring poor, hungry strangers into your home to take care of them instead of spending your money on whatever things bring you pleasure...like everybody else, you find ways to rationalize your pure selfishness....
The point of all of this , if a person has any sense, he sees that he can NOT live up to God's Standard which is Perfection! 24 hours a day , 7 days a week....If Anybody “ could” do what you say they could do, Jesus Died in vain....God has set things up to try to prove to you and everybody else that commits the biggest sin of ALL- *Self Righteousness* , that you are a hopeless and helpless sinner that MUST have a Savior....you MUST have Grace....it is your blindness and your Pride that refuses to allow you accept the only thing that has saved anybody that actually “ got” saved.....Grace.....wake up before it is too late! Try to escape your universe of Self Delusion, my fellow Sinner....

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Paul is telling the unsaved Hebrews in your verse that..

because you have rejected your Messiah...

= you have "trodden underfoot the blood of Jesus"... you have "crucified Christ Afresh, as if you just nailed Him, exactly as your father's did" who rejected him exactly the same as you are doing.

You unsaved Jews, you HEBREWS..... have "sinned willfully" the unpardonable sin, of Christ Rejection, so there remains no more of Christ's Atonement for you, no more sacrifice of Christ for your sin, as you have WILLFULLY rejected it.

This is obviously not talking to the Born again, who have already believed in Christ and are Saved, and are eternally covered and redeemed by the Blood Atonement.

Consider also.....that Paul is preaching the Gospel of Messiah.
Would he be doing this to the born again?
Of course not, as there is no need.
But if you are a Hebrew Christ Rejector, Paul would be talking to you in these Book of Hebrews verses.
He did. and they rejected their Messiah.
In Acts 28, you find this same situation, and it has a conclusion.....> Paul tells these Jewish Christ Rejectors...>"i'll take the Gospel to the Gentiles, and they wont reject it".
And he did.
He became the "Apostle to the Gentiles"........

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
he can NOT live up to God's Standard which is Perfection!

So then God does these things for His pleasure knowing the people could never live up to his standards?

“Therefore will I number you to the sword, and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter: because when I called, ye did not answer; when I spake, ye did not hear; but did evil before mine eyes, and did choose that wherein I delighted not.” (Isaiah 65:12)

You’ve been corrupted by false teachers.

Start reading your Bible and humble yourself before God!

Reactions: amigo de christo

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul is telling
The writer of Hebrews learned from those who learned from Jesus:

Hebrews 2:3 KJV
How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

. . . which Paul specifically denies in his case:

Galatians 1:11-12 KJV
11) But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12) For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again . . . you put words into my mouth as if I am accusing God of unrighteousness.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Much love! Is the true Law, and sacrifice. Greater love has no man than he lay down his life for his friend. God commended His love toward us that while we were yet enemies, Christ died for us.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then God does these things for His pleasure knowing the people could never live up to his standards?

“Therefore will I number you to the sword, and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter: because when I called, ye did not answer; when I spake, ye did not hear; but did evil before mine eyes, and did choose that wherein I delighted not.” (Isaiah 65:12)

You’ve been corrupted by false teachers.

Start reading your Bible and humble yourself before God!
The KEY is men can not become in Gods likeness of perfection…
without The Lord God Almighty.

Reactions: Wrangler