Thinking about the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So at this time, I do not feel the need to pressure anyone else into doing the same. Instead, I feel the opposite - and I will not judge them for what they do, but I will take my time and do what I feel the need to do. (According to scripture, of course, and what I believe God has placed on my own heart
If I cared, I would have asked who you are.

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, from you.
I don't see where I quoted that but it is in Exodus.

Exodus 20:9-10

Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns.

This is in the old testament, but later Jesus tells us, "The Sabbath was made for man…” (Mark 2:27) which makes me believe that it has to do with your personal relationship with God.

Edit: Keeping this mind with Mark 2:27:
Mark 11:28
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps, @GerhardEbersoehn, instead of being upset with us, you could contribute some of your knowledge of scripture and show us why it is you believe the way that you do. I am not opposed to being introduced to new ideas and ways of thought.

If any of you think you are wise in the things of this world, you will have to become foolish before you can be truly wise. - 1 Corinthians 3:18

Consider me a foolish and I will listen.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do not see any reason why God would say "Definitely don't
You have 24hrs a day 7 days a week, isnt that enough, everyday is His day and we should be in Him, with Him every day as He is with us. One day is never enough. He gets all my days.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Perhaps, @GerhardEbersoehn, instead of being upset with us, you could contribute some of your knowledge of scripture and show us why it is you believe the way that you do. I am not opposed to being introduced to new ideas and ways of thought.

If any of you think you are wise in the things of this world, you will have to become foolish before you can be truly wise. - 1 Corinthians 3:18

Consider me a foolish and I will listen.
Being called that many time on this forum

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have 24hrs a day 7 days a week, isnt that enough, everyday is His day and we should be in Him, with Him every day as He is with us. One day is never enough. He gets all my days.

No, not for me. I mean, yeah, here and there throughout the day, but not undivided one on one time to just give him one day all day in prayer, worship, studying, and so on. I am taking care of things throughout the entire week. I have things to take care of all week long.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No, not for me. I mean, yeah, here and there throughout the day, but not undivided one on one time to just give him one day all day in prayer, worship, studying, and so on. I am taking care of things throughout the entire week. I have things to take care of all week long.
I suppose He gave His life for us, so our lives belong to Him. One day for me is not enough, it must be everyday, even if that is thinking, asking, pondering, chatting, He does things in His time, he is faithful.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose He gave His life for us, so our lives belong to Him. One day for me is not enough, it must be everyday, even if that is thinking, asking, pondering, chatting, He does things in His time, he is faithful.

I agree that would be ideal. I suppose though, that the people capable of doing that are usually monks or people who live a life that allows them to be like monks. (How blessed they are.) I have lots of cleaning to do after two kids, six cats, and a German shepherd, and plenty of work to get done aside from that. I have the mending, the cleaning, the cooking, the teaching, the caretaking... My hands are full and by the end of it I might get maybe a half hour of rest and prayer to myself and sometimes I just fall asleep from exhaustion.

I would suspect, too, that in Biblical times, it was even more difficult without modern day conveniences. I still have to make bread from scratch and wash the clothes by hand 3-4 times a week. These things take a long time.

Genesis 3:17

To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat from it,' "Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat food from it all the days of your life."

He made us busy.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree that would be ideal. I suppose though, that the people capable of doing that are usually monks or people who live a life that allows them to be like monks. (How blessed they are.) I have lots of cleaning to do after two kids, six cats, and a German shepherd, and plenty of work to get done aside from that. I have the mending, the cleaning, the cooking, the teaching, the caretaking... My hands are full and by the end of it I might get maybe a half hour of rest and prayer to myself and sometimes I just fall asleep from exhaustion.

I would suspect, too, that in Biblical times, it was even more difficult without modern day conveniences. I still have to make bread from scratch and wash the clothes by hand 3-4 times a week. These things take a long time.

Genesis 3:17

To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat from it,' "Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat food from it all the days of your life."

He made us busy.
But you just invite Him into your day, he can teach you lots when you are willing to listen Used to gets lots while ironing, there is always time, while driving, washing, cleaning, one just need open ones mouth,

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@FluffyYellowDuck I think 1 Corinthians 15.20 is a great verse:

"But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept."

No longer are the types and shadows to be observed and enforced; but the Lord has indeed been crucified and is indeed risen! :)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, this is true. I shouldn't complain but there are a lot of times where I'm like, "Am I done yet? It's been X years. It's been so long. When am I done?"

I wonder if John the Baptist ever wondered if he was done or how many times he thought "okay it's been a long time now", and how much sooner he would have been ready if he had an internet connection. o_O Because like all of the resources you need are right there now... It's not the same as meditating on it but it gets a lot of things out of the way a lot faster.
I have not found 'done' an option. the more I learn the less I realise I know!