Thinking about the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet men do it every day.... even when they say they dont, disobedient, by there works. And along comes the enemy to set the snare, the trap. that will catch one in that LAW net. To subvert all that Christ has done, so men can boast before God, What a good boy am I.
When a person actually communicates with God regularly, daily, approaching hopefully more closely to that "without ceasing" there will be no hidden traps to catch the unwary because God sees it all... Now. Are we in touch with Him Now or only every now and then?
Praise His name!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're right, I am. That's what I said, get over yourself then you'll be able to think on the things : OF GOD.

Well what kind of goggles do you have on, Gerhard? They're blocking your vision from everything else written. You nitpicked and looked for things you didn't like and I think it's because you're untrusting and you assumed it would all be wrong.

I mean you can't harm me any. I honestly just see you as a kitten who just needs a really big hug and a can of salmon. But someone might take offense at some point. That's okay. I bet you are a really sweet person in person.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When a person actually communicates with God regularly, daily, approaching hopefully more closely to that "without ceasing" there will be no hidden traps to catch the unwary because God sees it all... Now. Are we in touch with Him Now or only every now and then?
Praise His name!

All the time and all day, but not enough time to study in depth - and I mean STUDY. With the books and the papers and with the concordances and the commentaries from Luther and Tertullian and Spurge and whoever else. I can't be the only one who does this...

I have for a while thought that this was something every Christian does but I do not see how you guys can do this while getting everything else done, and now I'm thinking the reason we had differences of opinion on the sabbath, is because we had different concepts of what happens during your time with the Lord and mine is probably very boring.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the time and all day, but not enough time to study in depth - and I mean STUDY. With the books and the papers and with the concordances and the commentaries from Luther and Tertullian and Spurge and whoever else. I can't be the only one who does this...

I have for a while thought that this was something every Christian does but I do not see how you guys can do this while getting everything else done, and now I'm thinking the reason we had differences of opinion on the sabbath, is because we had different concepts of what happens during your time with the Lord and mine is probably very boring.
Be careful to drink also the Blood as well as eating his Flesh. I got caught there out of balance with insufficient drink. God let me back out of that hole, but not without a very strong bit of chastisement...

Each day now I must begin with eating and drinking and continue to partake throughout the day as I work His work. It is not night yet, but I believe it is coming when no man can work...!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@FluffyYellowDuck Good to search the Scriptures thoroughly and see what Godly minds in the past have said also.

Reactions: DuckieLady

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Praise His name!
Good sentiment, @amadeus Blessings.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good sentiment, @amadeus Blessings.
More than sentiment my friend! It is how to live! My wife would become very upset with me before long if I never talked with her. Actually I talk with her a whole lot every day. Is my connection with my wife more important than my connection with God?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
More than sentiment my friend! It is how to live! My wife would become very upset with me before long if I never talked with her. Actually I talk with her a whole lot every day. Is my connection with my wife more important than my connection with God?
Just goes to show how deeply important is Godly fellowship in the home, in tune with heaven... :)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@FluffyYellowDuck Good to search the Scriptures thoroughly and see what Godly minds in the past have said also.

2Ti 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

When study becomes more important than asking, than we have it all wrong. Ths ibit

Gal_1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Study cannot ever out do Him and revelation from God.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FluffyYellowDuck

What you said about the Scriptures kind of also reminds me of what Anne Steele wrote:

"O may these hallowed pages be
My ever dear delight!
And still new beauties may I see,
And still increasing light!"

Beautiful writing! I had to look her up. I thought I had heard her name from somewhere. 1700s! A lot of what I read comes from Project Gutenberg, because it is so interesting how different the Christians writers were during the 1700-1800s. I'm sure I've probably passed by her work at some point. The contrast between Christians then and now time are very interesting. I wish I had their passion. They were so much more open, even the old magazines boasted in Christ. The Pansy Magazine (1800s) is an interesting old magazine I read from time to time.

Everyone one knows about John Bunyan's "The Pilgrim's Progress" but if anyone read his book "The Holy War," Lord of the Rings would need to step right aside and sit right back down.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Ti 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

When study becomes more important than asking, than we have it all wrong. Ths ibit

Gal_1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Study cannot ever out do Him and revelation from God.

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecc 12:12

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Beautiful writing! I had to look her up. I thought I had heard her name from somewhere. 1700s! A lot of what I read comes from Project Gutenberg, because it is so interesting how different the Christians writers were during the 1700-1800s. I'm sure I've probably passed by her work at some point. The contrast between Christians then and now time are very interesting. I wish I had their passion. They were so much more open, even the old magazines boasted in Christ. The Pansy Magazine (1800s) is an interesting old magazine I read from time to time.

Everyone one knows about John Bunyan's "The Pilgrim's Progress" but if anyone read his book "The Holy War," Lord of the Rings would need to step right aside and sit right back down.
@FluffyYellowDuck Oh I love Bunyan, the way he writes! Do you remember the passage from 'The Holy War' about the bliss of sins forgiven? :)

"Moreover, the Prince stripped the prisoners of their mourning weeds, and gave them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, and the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness.

Then he gave to each of the three jewels of gold and precious stones, and took away their ropes, and put chains of gold about their necks, and ear-rings in their ears. Now, the prisoners, when they did hear the gracious words of Prince Emmanuel, and had beheld all that was done unto them, fainted almost quite away; for the grace, the benefit, the pardon, was sudden, glorious, and so big, that they were not able, without staggering, to stand up under it. Yea, my Lord Willbewill swooned outright; but the Prince stepped to him, put his everlasting arms under him, embraced him, kissed him, and bid him be of good cheer, for all should be performed according to his word. He also did kiss, and embrace, and smile upon the other two that were Willbewill's companions, saying, 'Take these as further tokens of my love, favour, and compassions to you; and I charge you that you, Mr. Recorder, tell in the town of Mansoul what you have heard and seen.'

Then were their fetters broken to pieces before their faces, and cast into the air, and their steps were enlarged under them. Then they fell down at the feet of the Prince, and kissed his feet, and wetted them with tears: also they cried out with a mighty strong voice, saying, 'Blessed be the glory of the Lord from this place.' So they were bid rise up, and go to the town, and tell to Mansoul what the Prince had done. He commanded also that one with a pipe and tabor should go and play before them all the way into the town of Mansoul. Then was fulfilled what they never looked for, and they were made to possess that which they never dreamed of." John Bunyan’s Holy War – WRBC

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FluffyYellowDuck Oh I love Bunyan, the way he writes! Do you remember the passage from 'The Holy War' about the bliss of sins forgiven? :)

I didn't remember that one specifically, but isn't it beautiful! I love it. Ethel Barrett has a narrated, dramatized audiobook of The Holy War. I like to play it for the kids before bed. I might do that again, soon.

I am sorry if my studying offends people or think it's wrong, but I could go back to drinking, being a witch (literally), and smoking marijuana, or watching horror and murder movies for entertainment, like I was four years ago. God did a lot work in my life and I intend to stay with him in the way he called me to. :)

Reactions: justbyfaith

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I didn't remember that one specifically, but isn't it beautiful! I love it. Ethel Barrett has a narrated, dramatized audiobook of The Holy War. I like to play it for the kids before bed. I might do that again, soon.

I am sorry if my studying offends people or think it's wrong, but I could go back to drinking, being a witch (literally), and smoking marijuana, or watching horror and murder movies for entertainment, like I was four years ago. God did a lot work in my life and I intend to stay with him in the way he called me to. :)
@FluffyYellowDuck God bless your family and your Bible studies! :)

(I did start a quit smoking thread, but not from a 'moralizing' perspective...)

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PS: @FluffyYellowDuck It's been legalized in a lot of states since, not that I recommend it...

It's legalized here in Washington State. But I really don't recommend it at all, except for medicinal purposes. My grandmother was a cancer survivor (she's passed now) and I know it helped her. Does wonders for MS, too. I think there's a big difference from using something as medicine to heal and doing what I was doing, which was just sitting around spacing out and watching horrible movies and stuffing my face full of bags and bags of funyuns.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's legalized here in Washington State. But I really don't recommend it at all, except for medicinal purposes. My grandmother was a cancer survivor (she's passed now) and I know it helped her. Does wonders for MS, too. I think there's a big difference from using something as medicine to heal and doing what I was doing, which was just sitting around spacing out and watching horrible movies and stuffing my face full of bags and bags of funyuns.
@FluffyYellowDuck I wouldn't 'recommend' it either, in a sense, but there has been so much politics and pharmaceutical big business ripping off from expensive meds that I don't 'moralize' against marijuana either, especially if it's legalized.

For the believer, it's best to move on with a clear conscience and do whatever seems right as led by the Lord in Scripture; Romans 14 and Christian liberty are not there in Scripture for nothing.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@FluffyYellowDuck

Back to Bunyan; I do love his old hymn, 'He who would valiant be', :)

He who would valiant be
'gainst all disaster,
let him in constancy
follow the Master.
There's no discouragement
shall make him once relent
his first avowed intent
to be a pilgrim.

2 Who so beset him round
with dismal stories,
do but themselves confound—
his strength the more is.