Thou Shall Not Covet?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps you would also take stealing to be adultery then.

While adultery is stealing, I don't think that stealing is always adultery.

Here’s another one. Murder. Well, Of course you have the right to take that as stealing in a sense again.

yes; for it is the "taking" of a life.

You might simply be attracted to someone who is not your wife because she is beautiful.

That is temptation. Temptation is not sin.

If you desire your neighbor's wife (look on her to lust after her), the Lord identified that as adultery, which is sin (Matthew 5:27-30).

You might as well face it...you have a nature of sin. The element of sin dwells within you...and sometimes you have reactions to things, that are sinful, and that are not necessarily of your own volition.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
Perhaps you would also take stealing to be adultery then.
While adultery is stealing, I don't think that stealing is always adultery.
Just as I thought that you’d make stealing to be adultery.

Tong2020 said:
Here’s another one. Murder. Well, Of course you have the right to take that as stealing in a sense again.
yes; for it is the "taking" of a life.
Just as I thought again you’d make murder as stealing.

Well, as I said you will you won’t ever see yourself in the wrong with that.

Tong
R2614

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
No; adultery can be stealing; but I don't see stealing to be adultery.

How do you figure?
Never mind. It’s not really important. As I said you have the right to make coveting as stealing, make adultery as stealing and stealing not as adultery, make murder as stealing. I won’t keep on arguing against that.

Tong
R2616

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never mind. It’s not really important. As I said you have the right to make coveting as stealing, make adultery as stealing and stealing not as adultery, make murder as stealing. I won’t keep on arguing against that.

Tong
R2616
That's because you know it's the truth.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that this is the same thing as jealousy and envy,.. but my question is that why is it a sin? If you're jealous that somebody has something that you want or got to do something that you really wanted to do,.. who exactly is that hurting? In the first case scenario it's not like you're stealing anything from them or anything.
The Tenth Commandment is intended to turn our attention inward. Paul discusses this commandment in Romans chapter 7. Bottomline: it's like this.

Actions:
Don't murder
Don't steal.
Don't commit adultery.

Inwardness:
Don't want to murder
Don't want to steal
Don't want another man's wife

God is alerting us to a very important idea. While the Bible teaches us that we will be judged by our deeds; we are judged by them to the degree that such deeds reveal who we are inside. God cares more about who we are than what we do; and this is saying a lot because he also cares about what we do. It's as if God is saying, "not only do I want you to act in a certain way; I want you to be a certain kind of person." (And if I find that am not that kind of person, he hears my petition to be forgiven and perhaps to be transformed into that kind of person.)

I am constantly reminded of the song "Smooth" by Santana and especially the following line, "Give me your heart, make it real, or else forget about it." Through the Tenth Commandment, God is asking Israel and us to consider whether our worship is genuine. Is it real? Do we give him our hearts? Do we make it real?

If we can't make it real, then forget about it. God is speaking about purity of heart and he wants his children to ponder this and seek his guidance and strength.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you desire your neighbor's wife (look on her to lust after her), the Lord identified that as adultery, which is sin (Matthew 5:27-30).
I agree with the above. But when I said...
That is temptation. Temptation is not sin.
it was in response to this...

You might simply be attracted to someone who is not your wife because she is beautiful.
Which I believe is temptation. How long you endanger yourself with such a temptation by entertaining it and fostering it, can turn to lust.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with the above. But when I said...
it was in response to this...

Which I believe is temptation. How long you endanger yourself with such a temptation by entertaining it and fostering it, can turn to lust.
I believe that the first look of desire is in fact lust and therefore adultery (Matthew 5:27-28) and therefore sin.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Coveting or the basic wanting more than what God has given you is as old as Adam and Eve.

Jealousy (biblically speaking) is more about hoarding what you have than anything else.

Envy is the desire to take something that someone else has because you believe that they are evil or bad in some way. The "something" being fame, notoriety, or extreme wealth...or even a nice spouse.

Most of your televangelist, politicians, business tycoons, and Hollywood crowd fit into the group most Christians are envious of.

Now...
As far as wanting a new video game to play or a new console...
Now if you are accustomed to getting a new game every so often and it's been a long while since you got a new one...ok...not really a covetous situation.

If you have only gotten one new console in your lifetime... wanting a new one might be OK. A new console instead of that Sega Genesis system might be OK...it's not avarice to want customary new things. New clothes, new shoes or even a new to you car.

I try to force my wife to get new clothes at Easter and Halloween. These aren't exactly making her into a clothes horse.

Reactions: April_Rose

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I believe that the first look of desire is in fact lust and therefore adultery (Matthew 5:27-28) and therefore sin.
I agree. Desire, when entertained, brings forth sin. I must confess however to some reluctance to judge the time when that very thin line is breached which divides admiration from desire. We can admire the beauty of a wonderful masterpiece of man's creation, surely without desiring it. Can we do so with a masterpiece of God's creation, a beautiful woman? I believe so yes, although I would suggest a certain exaggerated amount of caution required in order to ensure our own safety perhaps?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. Desire, when entertained, brings forth sin. I must confess however to some reluctance to judge the time when that very thin line is breached which divides admiration from desire. We can admire the beauty of a wonderful masterpiece of man's creation, surely without desiring it. Can we do so with a masterpiece of God's creation, a beautiful woman? I believe so yes, although I would suggest a certain exaggerated amount of caution required in order to ensure our own safety perhaps?

Have you ever considered a turtle on a fence post?
Obviously it had some help in getting there and it's only alive because someone has been feeding and watering it.

So...
Where I can see a pretty woman and enjoy her beauty that doesn't mean that I actually want to engage her in conversation...I really don't want to know her exercise routines, her diet plan, clothing decisions, or makeup regime. Because she probably knows all about those things and isn't suitable for any other conversation.
Her phone number? Good God man! What on earth for? To breed the woman? That's nothing but trouble...it's a woman's favorite trap to use to ensnare men and take something they have of value. Why on earth would someone be so stupid as to fall for that?

Don't play with scorpions or snakes. You will get stung or bit. They might look pretty but...

Reactions: Brakelite

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that this is the same thing as jealousy and envy,.. but my question is that why is it a sin? If you're jealous that somebody has something that you want or got to do something that you really wanted to do,.. who exactly is that hurting? In the first case scenario it's not like you're stealing anything from them or anything.

Envy and covet are the same, but I wouldn't include jealousy. Several scriptures speak of God as a jealous God. So God does not sin.
Certainly jealously can turn evil, become warped, just like our behavior going from sweet to sour. Every good thing in moderation, but becoming obsessed with that one thing can lead to sin or detrimental consequences.
I think any man when he sees some guy coming onto his wife (especially if He is attractive), will feel jealous. That is normal. But taking it to another level where a threat doesn't really exist, is not healthy.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Have you ever considered a turtle on a fence post?
Obviously it had some help in getting there and it's only alive because someone has been feeding and watering it.

So...
Where I can see a pretty woman and enjoy her beauty that doesn't mean that I actually want to engage her in conversation...I really don't want to know her exercise routines, her diet plan, clothing decisions, or makeup regime. Because she probably knows all about those things and isn't suitable for any other conversation.
Her phone number? Good God man! What on earth for? To breed the woman? That's nothing but trouble...it's a woman's favorite trap to use to ensnare men and take something they have of value. Why on earth would someone be so stupid as to fall for that?

Don't play with scorpions or snakes. You will get stung or bit. They might look pretty but...
And our own male egos have a huge part to play. Am I still handsome enough that this beautiful young woman would take an interest in me? Do I still have what it takes to make my mates jealous? The devil knows our weaknesses and uses them to his advantage and our downfall. Oh, and modem fashions don't help either.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And our own male egos have a huge part to play. Am I still handsome enough that this beautiful young woman would take an interest in me? Do I still have what it takes to make my mates jealous? The devil knows our weaknesses and uses them to his advantage and our downfall. Oh, and modem fashions don't help either.

I know a "pretty" couple...
They had a huge blowout fight over him getting a new haircut style. One she wasn't enjoying. He had longer hair before...then when he went with a shorter style she was ALL the way upset with him.
(She was a former model)

Now...how in the world could I get involved with a woman like that? That she is so shallow and worried about perceptions that she becomes furious over a haircut on her husband? She is pleasant to look at and she has all the beauty pageant answers down pat...nice politically correct responses to comments...but when it comes time for hard thinking questions and concepts she can't even begin to make reasonable conversation because she doesn't like to think about those things due to the massive cognitive dissonance she owns.
(Personally I didn't think that the haircut was bad...just a shorter hairstyle...she just didn't want to change her look to perfectly match his new look)

This sort of thing just isn't in my wheelhouse of ever wanting to deal with. A major red flag. Not something that I would ever allow into my life except at an arm's length away.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Coveting takes our focus off of things above.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Several reasons. To name a few, to covet something shows lack of gratitude in what the Lord supplied which is the same as saying He did not supply you with enough or with the right things. Secondly, it is a form of idol worship (if you ever wondered why breaking one commandment is like breaking them all, they cross over). Your mind is on carnal, earthly things instead of the Lord. If the coveting is intense enough, it can lead to improper ways of getting the thing of your desire, or at the very least, mix up your priorities. You won't think of giving to others, for example, if all you want to do is get something. Total opposites.

Michael1985

Sep 30, 2020
British Columbia
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I think it's because excessive coveting could well lead to theft, adultery, etc.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wow...and I thought the Law was done away with!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Coveting IS Wanting "the precise thing another has".
Not ... wanting something LIKE what an other has...WANTING "THE OTHERS possessions".

(Spouse, Job, Home, Wealth, Life....etc.
Which means the other would no longer Have those things.