Three Interpretations of Adam and Eve

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Emily Nghiem

Jun 16, 2021
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used the traditional interpretation to explain to a student at a Catholic college who was not brought up Christian. She could not follow how professors would teach from the Bible as if this is well established. To her it was a foreign framework. For Adam and Eve, I explained the relationship with God similar to her father teaching the children to obey. It is for our own safety and well being. As we grow to maturity, we learn to make decisions by free will and reason. So the NT is the later mature stage, after Jesus, but before that, we had people trying to follow God and laws by blind obedience to authority.

Below are two more ways that society has changed politically and economically, which Adam and Eve can also represent as a "falling out" and corruption of perfect order, where these corruptions have caused human bondage to oppressive conditions.

================

Adam and Eve represent the lineage of generations under Mosaic Law and self awareness of will and ego. When we become aware of our will vs. others, and this gets corrupted by fear and selfishness, that is where we lose our innocence and start rebelling rejecting and fighting for control. It is symbolic on multiple levels.

The Daughters of the Earth who coupled with the descendants represent the matriarchal goddess tribes that were there before Adam and Eve started the patriarchal lineage. The purpose of Christ is to restore equal relations between tribes so we fulfill the harmony between humanity on Earth and God's universal laws of justice in heaven.

The Bible does not spell out the natural laws of the gentiles specifically either, as found in secular Constitutional laws, Greek ethics etc. But scholars who have studied basic ethics have found the core principles to be consistent with the Bible. So just because it's not mentioned doesn't mean to exclude it. As for prehistoric tribes, there are references in either the Bible or in the Kaballah mythology that refer to pre-Creation beings similar to how Greek myths used archeotype figures to describe the spiritual chaos before there was order. They used Giants and Titans. The Kaballah refers to Lillith before there was Eve, where Lillith is either interpreted as evil and demonic or as the female goddess matriarchal tribes that dominated with earth based religions before the patriarchal lineages of Adamic and Mosaic leadership that became Jewish law where Christianity and Islam followed from.

So this is one of 3 interpretations I've heard for the Garden allegory:

1. One is the stage of childlike innocence blind Faith and obedience to parental or govt type authority before becoming self aware or self governing by free will and reason. Until mature the human conscience will go through phases of rebelling and rejecting to learn by experience right from wrong but eventually reconcile. Not by force of law but by free choice to follow and comply by understanding laws of Justice. So this is the process of people establishing Justice by free will to achieve lasting Peace.

2. The interpretation of male dominant patriarchal order introduced spiritually where Eve is derived from Adam vs. Lillith representing being brought up equally from the dust as Adam was. This is why matriarchal tribes dominated because women knew who their daughters were and could keep power and property passed down that way. But men did not know who their children and heirs were until marriage laws were instigated to maintain patriarchy to treat women and children as property of the estate under primogeniture and feudal lord systems. This was supposed to help balance out the knowledge women had but instead it went too far and demonized Eve as cursed by Satan and Lilith and pagan tribes as demonic to wipe them out in genocides referred to in the Bible as Baal and praying to idols and the queen of heaven. The purpose of the sacrifice of Christ was to break this cycle of sin and karma to stop this retribution war and genocide in the OT and bring reconciliation restoration and maturity in the NT where male and female Jew and Gentile are made one in harmony and balance as originally destined to establish paradise again or heaven on Earth as it was when we were innocent except now we have full knowledge free choice and informed consent so we can sustain justice and peace by knowing the truth that sets us free from sin strife and suffering.

3. The last interpretation was that biting into the apple wasn't just self awareness but specifically tied to the eating and value of meat. This introduced disparity by elevating men above women. The men were worshipped and prayed for as hunters and eventually paid more than gatherers of fruits and vegetables that were mainly the women at home and manual workers in the fields. While the ownership and management class rose in power and kept that monopoly referred to as class privilege or white privilege since the wealthy who stayed indoors became associated with lighter skin as aristocratic and the darker skin in every culture became associated with manual and outdoor field labor of the working classes , as well as the darker skin that was valued more in American slavery to distinguish slaves from free people. So Adam Eve and the Garden also has been interpreted to symbolize class disparity by economic development of ownership class vs working class that doesn't own its own labor but remain subjugate to the ruling class in charge because of monetary wealth and knowledge of laws in that sense.

Again Jesus as God's Perfect Authority of Universal / Equal Justice represents liberation from enslavement to the selfish laws of man corrupted by greed for power or antichrist. And to restore God's universal laws of equal justice and good faith relations based on truth to bring healing corrections and peace. That is a more secular external historic interpretation than the symbolic spiritual interpretation of male female relations and balance.

But I find all 3 to be key to understanding the full nature of human conflict and condition past present and future.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So this is one of 3 interpretations I've heard for the Garden allegory:
For me it's history, not allegory.

God created Human, and gave him a choice. If he choose correctly, that shows the stability of God's creation, who would then go on to be settled in that state. This would have looked like not eating the fruit of the tree of the knowedge of good and evil, and then going on to eat from the tree of life.

He choose incorrectly, and showed the instability of a created being. While Human was created good, only God Himself is intrinsically good. And we know what this looked like.

Human chose incorrectly, and the result of that choice was to be entered into a course of corrective action. Sin entered as Human now thought in terms of right/wrong, and attempted to make choices accordingly. Previously he only knew God and His gift.

And what happened in macro is true with us in micro, as God gives us choices, the right choice showing our maturity, stability, the wrong choice showing the opposite, and leading to corrective action.

It's just like what Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes, God makes the same things happen over and over again, and He does this so that men would fear Him.

Much love!

Reactions: Emily Nghiem

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The purpose of Christ is to restore equal relations between tribes so we fulfill the harmony between humanity on Earth and God's universal laws of justice in heaven.
I see the purpose of Christ being to rescue Humans from the corrupted Humanity, and to place us into an uncorrupted Humanity which both allows the freedom of expression for Human that God created us with, and allows the stability of being united to the only One Who is Himself intrinsically good.

In otherwords, to be born again and freed from the Law of Sin and Death, and moved to the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ.

I see Christ's mission as restoring our relationship with our Creator, and in doing that, other relationships are restored as well.

Much love!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But I find all 3 to be key to understanding the full nature of human conflict and condition past present and future.
The Bible is not about philosophy but about theology. Christians simply need to present the straightforward narrative as given in Scripture. Romans 5:12 should suffice. If unbelievers or non-believers or "society" wish to make up their own fantasies, that is their decision.

Emily Nghiem

Jun 16, 2021
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is not about philosophy but about theology. Christians simply need to present the straightforward narrative as given in Scripture. Romans 5:12 should suffice. If unbelievers or non-believers or "society" wish to make up their own fantasies, that is their decision.
Dear @Enoch111
I have met and known many other secular nontheists who do not choose the way their brains think and process information.

By God's grace we are able to communicate the same spirit of God's Universal Truth, even if our language remains separate.

I know this is only Jesus Christ who joins us this way with God.

I trust that as long as we keep lines of communication open, regardless of differences in language, we can lead more and more people to understand the MEANING of Jesus (to them, in their own terms of the full impact to their lives world and relationships), and receive God's greater truth.

It is like opening the doors even further.

This does not require shutting people out, but opening doors they had shut.

They can start with the path God already put them on, open up and let God show them the rest of that path.

Some people ARE placed in the Muslim, the Buddhist or the Atheist camps for God's reasons. Adding the Grace and Understanding of Christ Jesus to wherever God placed them changes and fulfills that path to God's greater plans will and purpose.

God's will is perfect.

You are right, that if their path is completely wrong that will totally change.

What I find is some of that path is God's plan and will not change the way we might expect it to.

Reactions: Azim

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I trust that as long as we keep lines of communication open, regardless of differences in language, we can lead more and more people to understand the MEANING of Jesus (to them, in their own terms of the full impact to their lives world and relationships), and receive God's greater truth.
I think the point is, we need to stop with our own ideas about Jesus and God, and correct them to the Biblical presentation of Jesus and God.

Before I was a Christian, I had my ideas about the meaning of Jesus, and they were unbiblical, and therefore useless toward salvation. Only when I was confronted with the reality that I was wrong, and there is ONE Who is right, that's when I believed.

Salvation is by the preaching of the cross of Christ.

Much love!

Emily Nghiem

Jun 16, 2021
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the point is, we need to stop with our own ideas about Jesus and God, and correct them to the Biblical presentation of Jesus and God.

Before I was a Christian, I had my ideas about the meaning of Jesus, and they were unbiblical, and therefore useless toward salvation. Only when I was confronted with the reality that I was wrong, and there is ONE Who is right, that's when I believed.

Salvation is by the preaching of the cross of Christ.

Much love!
Absolutely @marks
I think it HELPS to distinguish which motivation people have for wanting the solutions that come from Jesus.
Some people paint the world as racism.
Some say it's all economic disparity or class.

But the solution to ALL these is the same.
We can better focus on the meaning in the Bible
if we AREN'T so divided over the problems and solutions it applies to
which are diverse, all over the planet.

My point is to help organize people by which APPLICATION they focus on full time.
If we want economic uplifting, we take our unity in Christ and prayers and invest it there to help groups teaching people to fish, worldwide.
If we want to end racial and tribal warfare, we focus there.

More people will see the benefit of uniting with Christian leadership, prayers, churches and outreach
when they SEE the connection this has to solving the problems they think are being ignored:

Some see it as religious issues
Some as political
Others: economic class, gender, race etc.

We explain that the WHOLE POINT of uniting and receiving Jesus
IS to receive Justice and Salvation for humanity that solves all these areas.

We CAN make that connection with more people.

And we CAN focus on the Bible and not on splintering into these worldly differences in how we apply that to real life.

Thank you @marks
I hope this helps and we pray in greater
unity and focus so God's will is even more clear, established and done!

In Jesus name Amen!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely @marks
I think it HELPS to distinguish which motivation people have for wanting the solutions that come from Jesus.
Some people paint the world as racism.
Some say it's all economic disparity or class.

But the solution to ALL these is the same.
We can better focus on the meaning in the Bible
if we AREN'T so divided over the problems and solutions it applies to
which are diverse, all over the planet.

My point is to help organize people by which APPLICATION they focus on full time.
If we want economic uplifting, we take our unity in Christ and prayers and invest it there to help groups teaching people to fish, worldwide.
If we want to end racial and tribal warfare, we focus there.

More people will see the benefit of uniting with Christian leadership, prayers, churches and outreach
when they SEE the connection this has to solving the problems they think are being ignored:

Some see it as religious issues
Some as political
Others: economic class, gender, race etc.

We explain that the WHOLE POINT of uniting and receiving Jesus
IS to receive Justice and Salvation for humanity that solves all these areas.

We CAN make that connection with more people.

And we CAN focus on the Bible and not on splintering into these worldly differences in how we apply that to real life.

Thank you @marks
I hope this helps and we pray in greater
unity and focus so God's will is even more clear, established and done!

In Jesus name Amen!
This reminds me of the Purpose Driven series. I think we need to believe in and submit to God, and I'm all about that. If we are thinking of Jesus as a means to achieve economic equality, He didn't come for that. God has chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith. If we are thinking of Jesus as a means to attain societal unity, Jesus didn't come for that. He came to set mother against daughter, and so on.

We may think of Jesus as a means for material properity, but for some He says, sell everything you have and follow Me.

Jesus come to give us life. We were dead, and He makes us alive.

So that's what I'm all about.

Much love!

Emily Nghiem

Jun 16, 2021
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This reminds me of the Purpose Driven series. I think we need to believe in and submit to God, and I'm all about that. If we are thinking of Jesus as a means to achieve economic equality, He didn't come for that. God has chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith. If we are thinking of Jesus as a means to attain societal unity, Jesus didn't come for that. He came to set mother against daughter, and so on.

We may think of Jesus as a means for material properity, but for some He says, sell everything you have and follow Me.

Jesus come to give us life. We were dead, and He makes us alive.

So that's what I'm all about.

Much love!
Agree again, @marks Well stated!
What you said explains why people get divided in the first place. Attaching our own biased interests loses the universal message.

You said it so well. Thank you!

When this is done right, the ministry and message we share stays centered in Christ,
while applying to and resolving the other issues.

Not the other way around!

Similar to people explaining why religion fails because it is man reaching up for God

While faith in Christ is God reaching out to man.

We receive Jesus first, then justice follows.
Similar to works following from faith.

God bless you and thank you for your wise and precise clarifications.

This is exactly what we need to achieve unity in Christ that does not get lost in application to real world relations and reforms that are diverse as we are.

Thank you !

Reactions: marks