Through Christ not works.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God.

Whoever is without love does not know God, for God is love
The love of God being shed abroad in our hearts is a part fo the salvation that is given to us; but it does not save us.

We receive the Holy Spirit by faith (Galatians 3:14). That is salvation. The love of the Lord is shed abroad in our hearts through the Holy Ghost (Romans 5:5).

The works that we do because of love dwelling in our hearts (see 1 John 3:17-18) did not regenerate us or renew us (Titus 3:5). That was only accomplished through faith in Christ's finished work (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).

The love of God dwelling in our hearts is the result of regeneration and renewing.

And the works that we do, prepared beforehand for us to do (Ephesians 2:10), are done because we have been saved by grace through faith; and that not of ourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, least any man should boast (Ephesians 2:8-9).

No one will be boasting after they have entered into the kingdom of what they did to get there. Everyone will know that each one of us who does reach that goal, obtained it through faith in Jesus Christ, and/or by calling on the name of the Lord (Romans 10:13).

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No one will be boasting when after they entered into the kingdom of what they did to get there. Everyone will know that each one of us who does reach that goal, obtained it through faith in Jesus Christ, and/or by calling on the name of the Lord

So should it be with you. When you have done all you have been commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do.'

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So should it be with you. When you have done all you have been commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do.'
In context, Jesus is saying that this is the attitude of an increased faith.

It is not that we were obligated to do the works that we did; it is that we did our duty in the love of God.

For that word, "obliged", I believe, is a mistranslation. My kjv translates it "duty"

It is not that we operate in the love of God because we are required to do so for salvation.

It is that because we are saved, we have been given the love of God. And there is a labour involved in the love that the Lord has given to us (1 Thessalonians 1:3).

We do not labour to save ourselves; we labour to save others (see also Jude 1:23).

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In context, Jesus is saying that this is the attitude of an increased faith.

It is not that we were obligated to do the works that we did; it is that we did our duty in the love of God.

Whoever has my commandments and observes them is the one who loves me. And whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whoever has my commandments and observes them is the one who loves me. And whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him
This is saying that keeping God's commandments are the result if you really love Jesus.

We receive the love of God through faith (Galatians 3:14, Romans 5:5).

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think this discussion reminds me of the difference between religion compared to faith. James talked about this.

If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.

James 1:26-27 (NLT)

We definitely should be cognizant of our leanings towards works based theology/practice.
Don’t Become Inoculated by the Empty Calories of Religion

religion is ordained by God in a new covenant structure with requirements such as baptism, not self-appointed preachers in a spiritual anarchy