till death do us part

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haha, a Brit newspaper once asked readers to write in if they'd had very short marriages, and one bloke said he married his wife after a whirlwind romance, and as they sat drinking on the verandah of their honeymoon hotel she was fine at first, but as the alcohol took effect she blurted out "You've always hated my mother!"
Gobsmacked, he said he'd never even met her mother let alone said anything about her, but his wife wouldn't listen and kept on ranting about how he'd never liked her mother.
Later when she'd fell asleep he quietly packed his suitcase and headed for the airport to take the next flight home to begin filing for divorce..:)
Bad sign. Probably an insane woman but didn't know. Alcohol and drugs can induce delusions and fits in the mentally insane. Interesting story. :r.u.n:

I'm mentally ill myself but I take medication for my illness so that I'm generally sane most of the time. But I will not date a mentally ill person unless they are working with a good psychiatrist. People that dive into their illness and embrace it can become dangerous and hostile from the paranoia.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..I'm mentally ill myself but I take medication for my illness so that I'm generally sane most of the time. But I will not date a mentally ill person unless they are working with a good psychiatrist. People that dive into their illness and embrace it can become dangerous and hostile from the paranoia.

Judging by the state of the world today, the so-called "sane" politicians who run it are making a lousy job of it..:)
PS- My dad was completely off his rocker, but had the gall to say I was nutty!
As a kid I overheard him say to my mam- "He's nutty, no don't laugh, I really do mean it, he wastes his pocket money on plastic model aeroplane kits and hangs 'em on string from his bedroom ceiling in full view of the street, I dread to think what the neighbours are saying about him, when's he going to grow up and start saving his money instead?"
Huh, perhaps the wally would have preferred me to join the local street gang and run wild with them instead of sitting quietly up in my room building models.
60 years later I still sometimes build model planes and ships and tanks and things, and have currently got my eye on this down the model shop-

Fort_Apache.jpg

Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judging by the state of the world today, the so-called "sane" politicians who run it are making a lousy job of it..:)
PS- My dad was completely off his rocker, but had the gall to say I was nutty!
As a kid I overheard him say to my mam- "He's nutty, no don't laugh, I really do mean it, he wastes his pocket money on plastic model aeroplane kits and hangs 'em on string from his bedroom ceiling in full view of the street, I dread to think what the neighbours are saying about him, when's he going to grow up and start saving his money instead?"
Huh, perhaps the wally would have preferred me to join the local street gang and run wild with them instead of sitting quietly up in my room building models.
60 years later I still sometimes build model planes and ships and tanks and things, and have currently got my eye on this down the model shop-

View attachment 25265
I feel for you :) My dad had a problem with my brother cause he listened to AC-DC music. Now it's promoted in the Iron Man movies. The lead singer of AC-DC died mysteriously. But my brother turned out to be a good father and has a pleasant family.

I used to build model airplanes. We installed model rocket engines in one of them and launched it in the back yard. Good times really :dusted:

Reactions: Dropship

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know if it's appropriate to ask this here, but I hope someone can answer my doubts. Most wedding vows to specify "till death do us part." Is this still realistic?

Very much. My husband and I were married until he died. Not sure why you would think it isn't realistic; would you explain the reasoning behind the question??

I see where you're going with the question after reading the replies; however, it does happen all the time. Not everyone is divorced though the divorce rate is high. More of my immediate and extended family has been married for life rather than divorced. My family isn't terribly large, but it's still like 5 that got divorced out of... like 15 couples that I can think of.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Very much. My husband and I were married until he died. Not sure why you would think it isn't realistic; would you explain the reasoning behind the question??

I see where you're going with the question after reading the replies; however, it does happen all the time. Not everyone is divorced though the divorce rate is high. More of my immediate and extended family has been married for life rather than divorced. My family isn't terribly large, but it's still like 5 that got divorced out of... like 15 couples that I can think of.
I do believe Scripture means marriage to be for life................. Romans 7.3, etc...........

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If I was to get married I'd refuse pointblank to say the "til death us do part" bit.
Instead I'd have a quiet word with the vicar or registrar before the ceremony and ask him to amend it to read "til death us do part on this earth until we meet again in heaven"..:)

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..I used to build model airplanes. We installed model rocket engines in one of them and launched it in the back yard. Good times really :dusted:

Yes, I built flying models too, but my dad used to discourage me, for example when running up the engine in the garden shed he'd say "STOP THAT NOISE!", and when I used to paint them and dope the wings up in my room he'd say "PHEW, WHAT A STINK!"
This is a 42" wingspan r/c Cessna I built from a kit..:)

skylane.jpg

Reactions: dev553344

SERVANTedu

May 31, 2022
Midwest-ish
teenchallengetx.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know if it's appropriate to ask this here, but I hope someone can answer my doubts. Most wedding vows to specify "till death do us part." Is this still realistic?

Yes, it's still realistic. However the type of fidelity and self-sacrificing love required by this type of relationship is not possessed or even desired outside of Christ.

Ephesians 5 tells husbands to love their wives as Christ loves the church, requiring living a life to provide, protect, and sacrifice for her always being faithful to lead her in a good direction.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A dying Christian on his deathbed says to his wife and christian family and friends- "See you later", because he knows death won't part them, but a dying nonchristian says "Goodbye forever".

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I feel for you :) My dad had a problem with my brother cause he listened to AC-DC music. Now it's promoted in the Iron Man movies. The lead singer of AC-DC died mysteriously. But my brother turned out to be a good father and has a pleasant family.

I used to build model airplanes. We installed model rocket engines in one of them and launched it in the back yard. Good times really :dusted:
I built model rockets and fired off hundreds when growing up in the 1970's in Buffalo NY.
I would shoot them off right in the street in front of the house, or in parks and school fields.
They have parachutes so they are supposed to come back down and not be broken on the ground.
They can go up pretty high. I don't know if you can still buy those rocket engines, they are solid fuel.
My biggest rocket was 3 foot tall Saturn 5 moon rocket with two D engines. Engines had ignitors pushed into the ends that get hot by a battery and fire off. But guess what happens if only one engine fires, rocket went up a little crooked and was pushed over and slammed down breaking into bits, about 30 of my fellow neighborhood kids had fun seeing that.

Editing now that I think about it, there were 4 D engines in that rocket. And 2 failed to ignite.

Last edited:

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Corinthians 7
10 Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband. 11 But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife.

12 But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her. 13 And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him.

14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.

15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace.

16 For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?

39 A wife is bound by law as long as her husband lives; but if her husband dies, she is at liberty to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord. 40 But she is happier if she remains as she is, according to my judgment—and I think I also have the Spirit of God.

v15 is not authorization to remarry someone else if your spouse abandons you, but people use that verse to do so.
the clue is in the 'let the unbeliever depart from the marriage', and the 'God has called us to peace' you are not under bondage (as slave) to remain marriage yoked to them and join in with whatever evil things they want to do and also let them go peaceably.

I bet that many do not follow these things.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

If it’s not too personal, why are you asking? Why do you have doubts? Do you still have them? Have you spoken about it with a Christian minister or guidance counselor?