Tip when starting a new job

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
forrestcupp said:
It's better to find ways to casually bring that fact up through open doors in conversations.

It's also a good idea to try to not be overly annoying with letting people know where you stand.
Definitely!

BiggAndyy said:
You're first time entering the workforce, eh?

4) Fellow Christians know who to steer clear from while the rest of the vultures descend on your soon to be rotting carcass.
No, not at new job. It applies to me and most of us in our dealings with new staff I guess.

My carc'ass' ( ;)) won't be rotting as I will be isolated sooner. Those Christians camouflaging too long with the world will rot.

aspen2 said:
here is another tip: don't treat your boss or coworkers like many Christians treat each other on the board. the sarcasm and self righteous indignation and religious haughtiness are sure to get you fired.
:) We are a special bunch, aren't we. I blame it on the internet. If we were face to face, we would come off as much friendlier.

Foreigner said:
I couldn't disagree more.

Many will take this as a declaration of superiority, or at least a strong statement of pride (one of the seven deadlies). Your first impression, in most cases, with then end up not being a positive one.

Many who have had less-than-pleasant encounters with Christians in the past will share those stories war stories with their fellow employees and help convince them the type of person you are even before you have your first conversation with them..
I did not give detail on how we are to 'announce it'. I think you are assuming a proud and loud statement across the office floor. What I do at my workplace is....be super friendly and nice to all for 1 week. Then when the immoral talk comes as it always does (everyone wants to spew their garbage in the light). This is when I would steer conversation to their belief and tell them mine. All done while smiling and listening to them speak their garbage. I ask simple questions like 'when last did you go to church' (no self righteous speech about me and my regular church attendance, it is all directed at them and their predicament). The sooner we can have worthwhile conversation the better!!!! My ears / our ears are NOT garbage bins!!!!!! We need only take so much rubbish!!!

the stranger said:
Being lead to do so, after I became a Christian, at the bottom of my resume I always had "God fearing" indicating a belief in God and a day of accountability. I was always very open about being a Christian in interviews though only upon the swing of the conversation.

For me, it was about giving the glory to God first, secondly, letting everyone know where I stood in advance. For me, I know from my life, it has helped me get long lasting two jobs at least as well as a good place to rent a room for a while, as also anything I request such is living arrangements and others I also share my faith. I know this because I was told this. It does not mean I was always perfect. :)

I do believe it does a couple things
(1) keeps you out of companies who hate Christians (usually)
(2) Keeps God first, and you second

God bless
That's good and I agree with you. We see eye to eye on this. I believe we must always say 'Christian' on our resumes.

We need to be more forward with our belief. We are forward / open but very gentle and caring. I really do hate acting like two different people for long! We should hate sin. Hate evil. Hate evil in people!! We cannot stand the presence of the evil!!! The evil MUST know we are there!! not assume it!!! We must preach whenever we feel lead to!! People must feel honored to hear the truth and not have to pay for it!! We speak more wisdom then the highest earning positive preachers!

My boss said he doesn't want a radical Christian. I said why?, don't you want an honest employee who has absolute respect for all God fearing and does not judge the un-Godly? Someone who constantly senses a God who he believes loves everyone immensely, watching their every move? He doesn't want someone who believes they must turn the left cheek and then some? You clearly have not thought it through. Radical Christians do the opposite of Muslim radicals. We will jump on a suicide bomber, even if only to save our enemies. No wait, we will take the bomb off him to spare his life and then jump on alone :). You simply can't beat a Christian for the perfect employee.

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KingJ said:
My boss said he doesn't want a radical Christian. I said why?, don't you want an honest employee who has absolute respect for all God fearing and does not judge the un-Godly? Someone who constantly senses a God who he believes loves everyone immensely, watching their every move? He doesn't want someone who believes they must turn the left cheek and then some? You clearly have not thought it through. Radical Christians do the opposite of Muslim radicals. We will jump on a suicide bomber, even if only to save our enemies. No wait, we will take the bomb off him to spare his life and then jump on alone :). You simply can't beat a Christian for the perfect employee.
I wish all Christians were like that. :)

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Foreigner said:
-- Hopefully, you speak with them to help clarify and don't leave them wallowing in their misconceptions.
Yes, I speak with people who ask to see me (a chaplain) so they are already opening the door. The first thing I try to find out, discern do they have a personal relationship with Christ. A few are honest/direct and so no, many say yes, but I can tell by our conversation they really don't know what this means. I do try in a short period of time to give them basic Biblical important information myself, I give them written materials, and tell them to request to see me again, I will keep returning to visit with them as long as they have questions. I give them what I can, pray they will move forward.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
aspen2 said:
You sure seem to have a low view of the power of the Holy Spirit and in His ability to convert a sinner's heart, Foreigner ...... How unfortunate
-- And you have proven you are completely oblivious to how the Holy Spirit actually works.

Your inability to comprehend means those close to you - the ones you 'just love' but don't ensure they know or understand the truth - are left in grave risk of spending eternity lost........How unfortunate.

KingJ, your post today (#21) does not in any way, shape, form, or style dovetail with the very first sentence of your very first post starting this thread,.

Unless "ASAP" means something completely different to you.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bless you, Foreigner.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
forrestcupp said:
I think it's a great idea to let your light shine from day one. I do think there is a right and wrong way to let everyone know you're a Christian, though. It's probably not a good idea to do it in a threatening, holier-than-thou way, especially when you haven't earned the right through love to be confrontational. It's better to find ways to casually bring that fact up through open doors in conversations.

It's also a good idea to try to not be overly annoying with letting people know where you stand. I knew a kid several years ago that was the biggest Star Wars fan out there; he knew every small fact about the movies and books. As an adult who was a kid when the first movie came out, I'm partial to the movies, but no where near like what this kid was. Every time he was around me, he would stick to me like a fly and smother me with nothing but talk about Star Wars facts. I love him, and I love Star Wars, but it was very annoying. Overbearing Christians who are excited to let everyone know can be just as annoying, and instead of leading people to God, it just makes them not want to be around you. We should have unrestrained passion toward God, but be sensitive with our compassion toward man, without being so sensitive that we don't do anything at all.

But with these things in mind, I think you have great points, and there's no reason to hide for months before we say anything. The longer you wait to let people know you're a Christian, the harder it becomes. And even though people rib you, beneath that joking around, they actually like us more than we think they will, if we act in love and not judgment.
I agree that if we act in love rather than in judgement, that is how we show that we are true Christians. Actions speaks much louder than words.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Foreigner said:
KingJ, your post today (#21) does not in any way, shape, form, or style dovetail with the very first sentence of your very first post starting this thread,.

Unless "ASAP" means something completely different to you.
What is different? I told my boss on day 1 that I was a radical Christian...
My colleagues obviously as soon as is feasible....but sooner rather then later.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
So, as you met your new colleagues you said, "Hi, my name is so-and-so, and I am a radical Christian."

Guess that's one way to close doors.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hey foreigner, when was the last time you stopped yourself from being clever at someone else's expense?

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
He Aspen, when is the last time you actually said something substantive instead of just critical of someone else?

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 13:35 "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
forrestcupp said:
John 13:35 "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."
-- Agreed.

That is why, no matter how I disagree with what another person is doing in public as far as 'witnessing,' I do not confront them in front of others.

But on an anonymous chat board where obviously others don't agree on this approach....

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Well I think a good tip for beginning a new job is to be friendly and helpful.
Always begin your day greeting everyone with a smile and a howdy... :)
Get to work on time and never overdo your break times.
Do not join others in complaining about the boss or other colleges - always say something positive.
If a brother asks you to go a mile with them, go two miles....

All of these tips and other common sense things helps toward entering a new job place and it also reflects Jesus in us...nah we do not have to say we're Christians, we just need to live it - every day ;)

BB