Tithing - "How to" not "whether"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TJM

Jul 29, 2012
Hi,

I just signed up for ths forum and have a question about tithing. To clarify up front, I'm aware of another thread discussing whether or not tithing is required. I started reading that with interest. But, my question assumes that God directs us to tithe and I am asking about further guidance.

Having recently relocated to begin a new job, I am looking for a church. I visited two churches and will probably visit a couple others before settling upon one. In the meantime, I’m sitting on a stack of God’s money.

While I attend worship at local churches, and the offering comes around, my understanding is that most visitors are not expected to give a tithe. The church asks that you drop in a new member form, or something similar, that has your contact information. I do put in some cash, but not nearly 10%. This is because I feel a sense of responsibility for the money that God has entrusted me with. I ruled out one of the churches and do not feel comfortable giving the money to them. I do not want to just hand money over blindly because I happened to have attended a particular church on a particular day. So, God’s money is accumulating in my bank account. And with every passing week I am more and more aware that He did not give this to me to simply let it sit there.

It appears that there are 3 options for what I can do in the meantime.

a) Continue holding the money until I find a new church, keeping it segregated from my checking account, and then pass on the full accumulation to whichever church I join.

B) Tithe every Sunday, even if I do not ultimately join the particular church that I attend on that particular Sunday.

c) Use the money to advance God’s work in other ways, such as donating it to Christian charities that feed the poor and shelter the homeless, to Christian ministries whose radio programs I have learned from for years, or use the money to do good deeds.

Is there any guidance in scripture for tithing while one is church searching? My understanding of scripture leads me to rule out option ( B). I am leaning more toward (c ). But I am certainly interested in any insights from scripture that others may have to offer.

liz

Jun 27, 2011
Hi Brother,
How wonderful that you want to be a good steward of the Lord's money which He has entrusted you. Pray and ask the Lord to show you what to do and believe the Holy Spirit to lead you in your giving. God will speak to you from His Word; He may use someone to share a word with you that lines up with His Word; some situation, circumstance may come up where God may prompt you to give a gift/donation, or something along these lines. The most important thing is that you allow God to tell you who, what, when, where to give, and how much to give. How will you know that the Holy Spirit has directed you? You will experience God's peace (Philippians 4:6)

If you have a spouse, pray together over your giving. After all, you want the gift to be blessed by God who loves a cheerful giver (2Cor 9:7 Read this carefully).

Now think about this: As New Testament believers, we are taught in God's Word to GIVE, NOT TITHE. Hope this doesn't turn you off, but 10 percent mentality does not lend itself to giving from the sincerity of one's heart. The verse I just gave you alludes to not giving grudgingly (which I know you won't), or giving because you feel coerced or are being made to feel compelled to do so. I would venture to guess that 99 percent of tithers PAY their tithes, not GIVE their tithes!

There is a lot I could say to you on this subject of GIVING, but you have enough to mull over. Just remember this:
God our Father is a GIVER; He GAVE (John 3:16). We, His children should be GIVERS likewise. We give as God has blessed us. Consider this, there are many believers who couldn't tithe even if they wanted to, and there are those who can give 90 percent and live on the rest. God bless you!

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've got to side with liz on this one. The law of tithing isn't meant for the church. But to give as generously as one can is the NT teaching. This giving does not have to be to a church. If it were me, a church would be the last place I would give because the money doesn't go where it should scripturally. It should go to widows and orphans, the hungry and homeless, mission efforts or any individual whom God brings across your path that has need.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
I've got to side with liz on this one. The law of tithing isn't meant for the church. But to give as generously as one can is the NT teaching. This giving does not have to be to a church. If it were me, a church would be the last place I would give because the money doesn't go where it should scripturally. It should go to widows and orphans, the hungry and homeless, mission efforts or any individual whom God brings across your path that has need.

All we have to do is what the Lord commands us to do by his Spirit. It is quite an indictment against today's Fallen Away Church that many Christians are testifying that they give but not to religious organizations.

Axehead

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
9 For the Lord's portion is His people; Jacob is the place of His inheritance.
10 "He found him in a desert land And in the wasteland, a howling wilderness; He encircled him, He instructed him, He kept him as the apple of His eye.
11 As an eagle stirs up its nest, Hovers over its young, Spreading out its wings, taking them up, Carrying them on its wings,
12 So the Lord alone led him, And there was no foreign god with him.
13 "He made him ride in the heights of the earth, That he might eat the produce of the fields; He made him draw honey from the rock, And oil from the flinty rock;
14 Curds from the cattle, and milk of the flock, With fat of lambs; And rams of the breed of Bashan, and goats, With the choicest wheat; And you drank wine, the blood of the grapes.
15 "But Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; You grew fat, you grew thick, You are obese! Then he forsook God who made him, And scornfully esteemed the Rock of his salvation.
16 They provoked Him to jealousy with foreign gods; With abominations they provoked Him to anger.
17 They sacrificed to demons, not to God, To gods they did not know, To new gods, new arrivals That your fathers did not fear.
18 Of the Rock who begot you, you are unmindful, And have forgotten the God who fathered you.
19 "And when the Lord saw it, He spurned them, Because of the provocation of His sons and His daughters.
20 And He said: 'I will hide My face from them, I will see what their end will be, For they are a perverse generation, Children in whom is no faith.
21 They have provoked Me to jealousy by what is not God; They have moved Me to anger by their foolish idols. But I will provoke them to jealousy by those who are not a nation; I will move them to anger by a foolish nation.
22 For a fire is kindled by my anger, And shall burn to the lowest hell; It shall consume the earth with her increase, And set on fire the foundations of the mountains. 23 'I will heap disasters on them; I will spend My arrows on them. 24 They shall be wasted with hunger, Devoured by pestilence and bitter destruction; I will also send against them the teeth of beasts, With the poison of serpents of the dust.
25 The sword shall destroy outside; There shall be terror within For the young man and virgin, The nursing child with the man of gray hairs.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
9 For the Lord's portion is His people; Jacob is the place of His inheritance.
10 "He found him in a desert land And in the wasteland, a howling wilderness; He encircled him, He instructed him, He kept him as the apple of His eye.
11 As an eagle stirs up its nest, Hovers over its young, Spreading out its wings, taking them up, Carrying them on its wings,
12 So the Lord alone led him, And there was no foreign god with him.
13 "He made him ride in the heights of the earth, That he might eat the produce of the fields; He made him draw honey from the rock, And oil from the flinty rock;
14 Curds from the cattle, and milk of the flock, With fat of lambs; And rams of the breed of Bashan, and goats, With the choicest wheat; And you drank wine, the blood of the grapes.
15 "But Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; You grew fat, you grew thick, You are obese! Then he forsook God who made him, And scornfully esteemed the Rock of his salvation.
16 They provoked Him to jealousy with foreign gods; With abominations they provoked Him to anger.
17 They sacrificed to demons, not to God, To gods they did not know, To new gods, new arrivals That your fathers did not fear.
18 Of the Rock who begot you, you are unmindful, And have forgotten the God who fathered you.
19 "And when the Lord saw it, He spurned them, Because of the provocation of His sons and His daughters.
20 And He said: 'I will hide My face from them, I will see what their end will be, For they are a perverse generation, Children in whom is no faith.
21 They have provoked Me to jealousy by what is not God; They have moved Me to anger by their foolish idols. But I will provoke them to jealousy by those who are not a nation; I will move them to anger by a foolish nation.
22 For a fire is kindled by my anger, And shall burn to the lowest hell; It shall consume the earth with her increase, And set on fire the foundations of the mountains. 23 'I will heap disasters on them; I will spend My arrows on them. 24 They shall be wasted with hunger, Devoured by pestilence and bitter destruction; I will also send against them the teeth of beasts, With the poison of serpents of the dust.
25 The sword shall destroy outside; There shall be terror within For the young man and virgin, The nursing child with the man of gray hairs.

Great verses, Son of Man.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think tithing is admirable, but it should never be required. There seems to be as many pastors opposed to tithing as there are in favor. There are lots of struggling single moms on welfare who take their kids to church every Sunday. Expecting them to tithe when they don't have enough food to feed their kids is an injustice. The "you will be financially rewarded for tithing" is a religious con. The 10 minute speel about how "the Lord loves a cheerful giver" at collection time nauseates me. It's psychological coercion. I don't mean to offend anyone here but I take objection to Benny Hinn's private jet and Joyce Meyer's multi-million dollar mansion paid for on the backs of the gullible poor. There is always the testimony of the cheque that appears out of nowhere after a person gives their last $5. If it strengthens their faith, good for them. Maybe God did it after all. I suspect its trying to make the exception to be the norm for everybody. I think that is what is known as the Prosperity Heresy, maybe someone can elaborate on that.

Then there are those who should tithe. But consider the family with two incomes and they bring in $25,000 a year. They have no savings and no investments, just bills. 10% of that is $2500.

Consider the same size family with a net income of $100,000. a year. That's $10,000 annual tithe. It's still 10%.

Now think about this. Is the family who is left with $90,000 making an equal sacrifice with the family who is left with $22,500??? But it's both 10%! <_<

Again, I am not against tithing. The 10% is a guideline. It comes from the Mosaic law that we are not bound to anyway. On the other hand St. Paul wrote ahead of his arrival for a collection so that his physical needs would not be a burden to any one host. Full time pastors need to eat. The worker is worthy of his wages. Churches have very large operating expenses. A community of believers should be there to help their needy members and not burden them with Jewish scruples.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Hi,

I just signed up for ths forum and have a question about tithing. To clarify up front, I'm aware of another thread discussing whether or not tithing is required. I started reading that with interest. But, my question assumes that God directs us to tithe and I am asking about further guidance.

Having recently relocated to begin a new job, I am looking for a church. I visited two churches and will probably visit a couple others before settling upon one. In the meantime, I’m sitting on a stack of God’s money.

While I attend worship at local churches, and the offering comes around, my understanding is that most visitors are not expected to give a tithe. The church asks that you drop in a new member form, or something similar, that has your contact information. I do put in some cash, but not nearly 10%. This is because I feel a sense of responsibility for the money that God has entrusted me with. I ruled out one of the churches and do not feel comfortable giving the money to them. I do not want to just hand money over blindly because I happened to have attended a particular church on a particular day. So, God’s money is accumulating in my bank account. And with every passing week I am more and more aware that He did not give this to me to simply let it sit there.

a) Continue holding the money until I find a new church, keeping it segregated from my checking account, and then pass on the full accumulation to whichever church I join.

B) Tithe every Sunday, even if I do not ultimately join the particular church that I attend on that particular Sunday.

c) Use the money to advance God’s work in other ways, such as donating it to Christian charities that feed the poor and shelter the homeless, to Christian ministries whose radio programs I have learned from for years, or use the money to do good deeds.

Is there any guidance in scripture for tithing while one is church searching? My understanding of scripture leads me to rule out option ( B). I am leaning more toward (c ). But I am certainly interested in any insights from scripture that others may have to offer.

I am inclined to think of the woman Jesus pointed out at the temple to his disciples.

Mar 12:41-44 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

This woman, who we don't even know her name, has passed down through history, as an example of someone, who because she had the desire, the heart, gave all she had to God.

Jesus wasn't interested in how much the people where giving to the Temple (which would be the equivalent of our churches), but rather, our reason for giving it. Notice, the rich gave because of their abundance. Because they had so much, they threw what seemed to be alot, but, if I may take a leap of assumption, made sure that they were living comfortably first. This woman, a widow, threw in the tiniest of amounts, but she did it because she had a passion. She wanted to give to God, and she gave him all her living!

I think the same should apply to us. We shouldn't be giving to God because we've got enough money for ourselves. We shouldn't be putting ourselves first, and then God gets the leftover. We should be giving because it's in our heart. Our giving should be instigated by a desire in our heart to give to God. It doesn't really matter how much, but I believe with all my heart, that when one gives because he has the desire to please and give to God, he won't be giving just enough, or 10%. He'll let it take over his life. He'll have the same mentality as that widow. She no doubt had some very good uses for those two coins, such as food, etc, but she gave them to God instead. When you have the desire to give to God, you'll give EVERYTHING you can.

Now I'll end my extremely lengthy post. :p

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know others have given you their opinion about tithing, I also do not believe tithing is for today, I do give generously with a cheerful heart, but I will address the three options you show for your choice to tithe.

I agree with your thought to toss the B option as it may lead you to being a bad steward of money, visiting a church doesn't give one much of a picture of the real church.

I think A or C are personal choices for you as I don't see any scripture that addresses what you are asking. I'm a bit confused about some of the scriptures already mentioned.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Gods portion is His People. Therefore render to God the things that are God's.

"'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your mind.' and with all your might. "

This is the tithing that pleases god

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
Hi,

Hi TJM,

The principle is for us to give a tenth OFF the top. I don't believe sitting on it is proper and I don't believe it is up to us to decide where it goes. We need to recognize what authority we are under and give to that authority. Tithe goes to the priesthood and offerings go to things like Food for the Hungry etc...

I guess what I'm saying is you can't drive a parked car.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Hi,

I tend to agree with Liz on this one. Tithing is NOT mentioned at all in the New Testament and for a very good reason. We are not bound to 10%. Neither is the money we choose to give predestined to fall into the collection plates and schemes of local apostate churches or broadcast religious con artists. What if the Holy Spirit tells you to NOT give money to the church? What if the Holy Spirit tells you to give half or ALL of your money away (remember the rich young man that Jesus asked to give all?). What then? Will you quote the 10% limit to He who rules us all?

Gentile Christians are not under the same traditional and legal constraints that bind the Jews. The only 'law' a believer under grace is bound to is that of the ten commandments and the generosity of his ability and heart. God loves a cheerful giver, not one who gives right up to the penny of an assigned figure or percentage. If the cheerful gift of ten or twenty bucks is all you've got, then by all means cough it up and be glad.

But what of giving at all? What if dedicated Christians became fed up with limp wristed, politically spineless and theologically heretical religious fear mongers? What if they stopped giving to these parasites completely? All these men and women really want is to make a comfortable living based upon our religious guilt. Are these saints or snakes? Jesus called them vipers and I think He was being kind. I"d use different words.

There are many righteous ministries that are truly doing God's work and deserve assistance. Find one - or two. Give to them if you feel they need it. I do.

Bottom line is this - are you giving out of guilt, to satisfy an artificial limit of 10%, or are you giving out of the bounty of your personal generosity to those who really need it? Examine yourself and seek guidance in prayer. I'm pretty sure you'll find satisfaction in the answer you discover.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Reactions: Candidus

John_8:32

Nov 9, 2012
I tend to agree with Liz on this one. Tithing is NOT mentioned at all in the New Testament and for a very good reason.

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It seems that most everyone is on the same page here. :)

For years and years we used to tithe, and we thought that we were 'the spiritual ones' :rolleyes:
Then later on, we got the revelation that just as the ten commandments were hidden within The One New Commandment.
Just so the 10% was swallowed up in the 100%!!
[sup]30 [/sup][font=Charis SIL']And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.[/font]
[font=Charis SIL'][sup]31 [/sup]And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. [/font]
"...LOVE is the fulfilling of the law."
[font=Charis SIL']He ask us for nothing less than our "ALL"!! [/font]
[font=Charis SIL']I have now reached my three score years and ten...and still fall very short of this.[/font]
[font=Charis SIL']As someone has already said in this thread, He wants our HEART, and everything that goes with it.[/font]
[font=Charis SIL']That done, we will know where our money is suposed to go...His sheep hear His Voice. [/font]

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OP hasn't returned, but he clarified in his only post he was not asking whether or not to tithe, only how to.

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
It appears to me that most here agree with tithe being a minimum but not the only thing we should do. I agree. Tithe is a minimum in terms of proper stewardship, but as we believe that everything we have in our lives is based on God being our source, then basically we follow what Jesus admonished all to do...render unto God what is God's.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Ok, the OP asks, "How to Tithe".

We walk by the Spirit. Everything a Christian does he does out of relationship with His Lord. Our actions are a result of abiding in the Lord and listening (obeying) to Him. That is called walking by the Spirit.

Gal_3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

We don't live by rules and we don't have a rule book. We have the Spirit of God indwelling us and leading us.

Gal_5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Gal_5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

If you are abiding in the Lord, ask Him what He would have you do. No man can tell you what to do with the resources that God has entrusted to you (they still belong to God). The Lord knows what to do with His own resources so get with Him and He will let you know.