Tithing - "How to" not "whether"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
StanJ said:
I have explained myself MANY times and only two members here disagree, but that is not the point. What you perceive to be wrong with some pastors may well be, but again THAT is not the issue.
You don't believe God cancelled or made obsolete the Mosaic/Levitical written law?

Well then maybe you should quote or cite THEM so we can all see this?

Of course it is IF you are willing to see it. What Jesus said was also in the OT, but many refused to accept what He taught and to see it, especially the teachers of the law and Pharisees.

It's not properly teaching tithing that turns people away, it what those who abuse church finances do that turns people away from BIG churches.
Yes, I am sure you are very convinced that you have explained yourself and that only 2 members (not 19) disagree with you. And your comprehension skills are amazing! You characterized what I said about the Mosaic Law, incorrectly. And finally yes, people are turned away from churches by tithing being constantly shoved down their throats and financial and authoritarian abuse.

Stan, you are the king of nanny-nanny-boo-boo so I fully expect you to have the last word.

Have at it, Stan. The last word is yours.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Axehead said:
Yes, I am sure you are very convinced that you have explained yourself and that only 2 members (not 19) disagree with you. And your comprehension skills are amazing! You characterized what I said about the Mosaic Law, incorrectly. And finally yes, people are turned away from churches by tithing being constantly shoved down their throats and financial and authoritarian abuse.

Stan, you are the king of nanny-nanny-boo-boo so I fully expect you to have the last word.

Have at it, Stan. The last word is yours.
Well as your onerous attempt at posting equivocal paraphrases of posts failed, what else did you expect?
You're, I have very good comprehension skills, not just in language but in the spiritual realm.
I'm sure what I wrote was accurate and as you can't or won't show any different, I take you assertion here for what it's worth...nothing.
I only respond Axehead and if all you have are ad hominems then there's only that to respond to.
The last Word will be God's.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You do not need to tithe to a church ever. there is no titheing for a NC Christian. churches have robbed us for years. Tithings not for today. There no NC scripture tell you to tithe, dont believe the lie.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Sword said:
You do not need to tithe to a church ever. there is no titheing for a NC Christian. churches have robbed us for years. Tithings not for today. There no NC scripture tell you to tithe, dont believe the lie.
Agreed, there should be no compulsory giving, that is robbery. If someone gives it should be done at will. There certainly isn't a 10 percent quota for Christians.

If I were to allocate a number to our devotion it should be more like 100 percent, because everything we do should be done in faith. That may mean giving time, money, and our lives to the Lord's service. It depends on his plan for us once we have decided to devote ourselves to the Lord.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
lforrest said:
Agreed, there should be no compulsory giving, that is robbery. If someone gives it should be done at will. There certainly isn't a 10 percent quota for Christians.

If I were to allocate a number to our devotion it should be more like 100 percent, because everything we do should be done in faith. That may mean giving time, money, and our lives to the Lord's service. It depends on his plan for us once we have decided to devote ourselves to the Lord.
Agreed but giving is just for what ever you come accross in daily life. That would include talking the person on the street for a meal. I had no work for 20 weeks there. and am selfemployed. I am a director at a Charity who offers housing counciling food banks etc. I was to proud to ask for help. I had money come through my door. At one point £1250,00 It came from a young couple who tithe in the home and give as they are lead to. They give a gift to the church as it has to be paid for renting a building etc. Thats the church.

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
TJM said:
Hi,

I just signed up for ths forum and have a question about tithing. To clarify up front, I'm aware of another thread discussing whether or not tithing is required. I started reading that with interest. But, my question assumes that God directs us to tithe and I am asking about further guidance.

Having recently relocated to begin a new job, I am looking for a church. I visited two churches and will probably visit a couple others before settling upon one. In the meantime, I’m sitting on a stack of God’s money.

While I attend worship at local churches, and the offering comes around, my understanding is that most visitors are not expected to give a tithe. The church asks that you drop in a new member form, or something similar, that has your contact information. I do put in some cash, but not nearly 10%. This is because I feel a sense of responsibility for the money that God has entrusted me with. I ruled out one of the churches and do not feel comfortable giving the money to them. I do not want to just hand money over blindly because I happened to have attended a particular church on a particular day. So, God’s money is accumulating in my bank account. And with every passing week I am more and more aware that He did not give this to me to simply let it sit there.

It appears that there are 3 options for what I can do in the meantime.

a) Continue holding the money until I find a new church, keeping it segregated from my checking account, and then pass on the full accumulation to whichever church I join.

B) Tithe every Sunday, even if I do not ultimately join the particular church that I attend on that particular Sunday.

c) Use the money to advance God’s work in other ways, such as donating it to Christian charities that feed the poor and shelter the homeless, to Christian ministries whose radio programs I have learned from for years, or use the money to do good deeds.

Is there any guidance in scripture for tithing while one is church searching? My understanding of scripture leads me to rule out option ( B). I am leaning more toward (c ). But I am certainly interested in any insights from scripture that others may have to offer.
On the first day of the week each of you should set aside whatever he can afford," 1 Corinthians 16:2

God doesn't demand a fixed amount of money from us; he wants us to give from the heart.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God doesn't demand a fixed amount of money from us. He wants us to give from the heart. If people are asked by their church to give a certain percent of their income, that's extortion. If they give freely and cheerfully the amount they are able, that's a gift.

Just my two cents worth.

Mary

Reactions: lforrest

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So my question about tithing involves my hubby. He says, "whatever you want to do honey." But I don't really feel he quite understands it well or desires to.

I am a stay at home mom and he makes the income. So Ive been praying about "taking the reigns" I guess and take him up on "whatever you want to do."

Because I believe it is important. I guess I was sort of hoping he would take charge and want us to do it.

I am guessing it is considered my income to in tithing...

I have been praying and think maybe I should just say okay. 10 percent...I also want to teach my daughter right.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi,

I just signed up for ths forum and have a question about tithing. To clarify up front, I'm aware of another thread discussing whether or not tithing is required. I started reading that with interest. But, my question assumes that God directs us to tithe and I am asking about further guidance.

Having recently relocated to begin a new job, I am looking for a church. I visited two churches and will probably visit a couple others before settling upon one. In the meantime, I’m sitting on a stack of God’s money.

While I attend worship at local churches, and the offering comes around, my understanding is that most visitors are not expected to give a tithe. The church asks that you drop in a new member form, or something similar, that has your contact information. I do put in some cash, but not nearly 10%. This is because I feel a sense of responsibility for the money that God has entrusted me with. I ruled out one of the churches and do not feel comfortable giving the money to them. I do not want to just hand money over blindly because I happened to have attended a particular church on a particular day. So, God’s money is accumulating in my bank account. And with every passing week I am more and more aware that He did not give this to me to simply let it sit there.

a) Continue holding the money until I find a new church, keeping it segregated from my checking account, and then pass on the full accumulation to whichever church I join.

B) Tithe every Sunday, even if I do not ultimately join the particular church that I attend on that particular Sunday.

c) Use the money to advance God’s work in other ways, such as donating it to Christian charities that feed the poor and shelter the homeless, to Christian ministries whose radio programs I have learned from for years, or use the money to do good deeds.

Is there any guidance in scripture for tithing while one is church searching? My understanding of scripture leads me to rule out option ( B). I am leaning more toward (c ). But I am certainly interested in any insights from scripture that others may have to offer.

Nowhere in the New Testament are we told to tithe. Nowhere in the New Testament are we told to tithe to the church.

The instruction to give is on the basis as God has blessed us. If God has blessed us with $10, give from that as he instructs you to. If God has blessed us with a $1 million, give from that as God instructs us to. If God has given you nothing, you do not give.

It is just as bad to give if God hasn't told you to give as it is to not give when he has told you to give.

In the New Testament, they did not give to maintain buildings or to pay anyone a salary. They gave to those in need, widows who spent their time praying for the church or who had no family to support them and the apostles whilst they were travelling and could not work.

The world is full of needy Christians who have been robbed of their sustenance and their ability to provide for themselves, so they must come first. There are plenty of ministries whose sole purpose is to minister to these people so you can give via them.

In comparison to them, no one in the western church needs financial help. Get rid of our buildings and salaried Christians and we would have billions to give to those who really, really need it.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Hi,

Tithing is of your increase, but this doesn't have anything to do with whatever money you have except insofar as you're not willing to offer an actual tithe. In other words, if you raise sheep, you give one in ten. If you only have nine, then you don't tithe, but it you don't want to fork over that tenth sheep, you then present an offering(the value of that sheep) PLUS a 20% surcharge. That's how it's outlined in the bible under the Mosaic law.

So there's the 10% you are to present to the temple, then there's the 10% you are to offer to the poor directly. The temple is GONE, so there is no longer any need to offer a tithe to keep the priests in business. If you want to pay for the upkeep of whatever church you attend, that's up to you.

There is no better way to tithe than with your time, and effort. If you're going to make a financial offering, there's no better way to do that than directly to the poor themselves. I'm not talking about just handing some money to some guy with his hand out, but giving money to those who you know actually need the money.

Here's one way it works. You hire someone to do a job, and you know that they need the money to buy books for their son or daughter's education. So you pay them and add a little something.

You see someone on the side of the road broke down, and stop to help them change a tire, or help pay the towing fee when you discover that they're about to lose their car because they don't have the money to fix it.

There are people all over who are having trouble making ends meet. If we're not really into participating, and would rather just write a check, then there are plenty of organizations that feed, clothe, and house the poor.

When you find one that is doing it better than anyone else, you can even just write out a check for 10% of what you've made, and be done with it until you start making money again. Some people would rather they be seen putting money into the collection basket though so they just keep doing that week after week for the rest of their lives.

I just go to church for the entertainment value.