Tithing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
There are a lot of freeloaders in christianity

80% of church donations come from only 20% of the church members

Often when a pastor of a local church gives a sermon about tithing , he is not trying to apply it in an Old Testament sense , rather he is trying to get the 80% freeloaders to contribute toward the church facilities they use all the time

But the message hardly ever gets through to them

Yet even though they never tithe themselves , they always complain about tithing

The church members who actually do the giving , they never complain.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
Really appreciate you folks and sharings!

Then it can go too far the other way, ie, for example however true, there's a pretty rich brother that like to sit next to me in our Church, - I sinfully don't mind him sitting next to me, money and more money - I asked him not too long ago when he kicked in big money as the church needed it for whatever, when he is so concerned about the church why does he appear as a secret Christian agent not seeing him during the week till the last minute on Sunday then he's gone after the "1" hour? His response: "I bring the money, the Church takes care of the rest." I see his point, and he does works of faith as far as money goes, however would like him to show up during the week or something more than the "1" on Sunday. Plus I also had to ask him if he was a Christian when he first started attending? He said he was. I also made him aware of my feelings of not seeing him, and he actually thanked me, but didn't change anything.

Old Jack just thinking out loud again. Lord may I never become a Christian secret agent.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
lforrest said:
Then why does the Lord trust you with the other 90% of his money?

This whole 10% thing is arbitrary and legalistic.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm/........it is all God's...........you are blessed if you are even makin a dime......and sometimes....that 90% came from Him to be a help to others.....God is the same Yesterday......................legalistic.....hmmmmmmmm sounds like a scapegoat :)
Martin W. said:
There are a lot of freeloaders in christianity

80% of church donations come from only 20% of the church members

Often when a pastor of a local church gives a sermon about tithing , he is not trying to apply it in an Old Testament sense , rather he is trying to get the 80% freeloaders to contribute toward the church facilities they use all the time

But the message hardly ever gets through to them

Yet even though they never tithe themselves , they always complain about tithing

The church members who actually do the giving , they never complain.
WELL SAID................................................!

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
shturt678 said:
Really appreciate you folks and sharings!

Then it can go too far the other way, ie, for example however true, there's a pretty rich brother that like to sit next to me in our Church, - I sinfully don't mind him sitting next to me, money and more money - I asked him not too long ago when he kicked in big money as the church needed it for whatever, when he is so concerned about the church why does he appear as a secret Christian agent not seeing him during the week till the last minute on Sunday then he's gone after the "1" hour? His response: "I bring the money, the Church takes care of the rest." I see his point, and he does works of faith as far as money goes, however would like him to show up during the week or something more than the "1" on Sunday. Plus I also had to ask him if he was a Christian when he first started attending? He said he was. I also made him aware of my feelings of not seeing him, and he actually thanked me, but didn't change anything.

Old Jack just thinking out loud again. Lord may I never become a Christian secret agent.
I suppose it is better than if he never came to church at all , and never donated any of his riches

I know a lot of successful people (rich) and they never sweat the small stuff , or linger around worrying about what everyone else is not doing.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Ok men.................................here is the bottom line.................get you eyes off MAN.
To many posts......about what this guy did....or what this guy might do....or look at what this one did with my money..............
This is a news flash....................................God is a one on one relationship.................don't let man determine your walk with the Lord.
I don't give a flyin hute what man does..................just makin sure what Jesus thinks of me. And tithing is meant to be a one on one with God......not man.
Surrender...........all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He died for you...........He knows the hairs on your head..........so we should know how many hairs are on His.

THAT PERSONAL.....................GET PERSONAL.......

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
Martin W. said:
I suppose it is better than if he never came to church at all , and never donated any of his riches

I know a lot of successful people (rich) and they never sweat the small stuff , or linger around worrying about what everyone else is not doing.
Thank you again!

If the church didn't reach out to all those little ones, and youngsters with the money he kicked in, I would fully agree with you. The Pastor is very honest and prints out a money sheet for all to see, making me feel guilty at times that I didn't do more for the little ones.

Old contrite Jack
RANDOR said:

.................................here is the bottom line.................get you eyes off MAN.
To many posts......about what this guy did....or what this guy might do....or look at what this one did with my money..............
This is a news flash....................................God is a one on one relationship.................don't let man determine your walk with the Lord.
I don't give a flyin hute what man does..................just makin sure what Jesus thinks of me. And tithing is meant to be a one on one with God......not man.
Surrender...........all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He died for you...........He knows the hairs on your head..........so we should know how many hairs are on His.

THAT PERSONAL.....................GET PERSONAL.......
Thank you again for caring!

I agree with you. It's just that there's a battle going on, and I want to be on the right side when the dust settles, ie, with you my brother.

Old lefty Jack getting on the right side.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
RANDOR said:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm/........it is all God's...........you are blessed if you are even makin a dime......and sometimes....that 90% came from Him to be a help to others.....God is the same Yesterday......................legalistic.....hmmmmmmmm sounds like a scapegoat :)
Are you assuming that the people that don't tithe are giving less? Martin is probably right that there are a vast majority of freeloaders in the church, but suppose they all grudgingly tithed what would change?

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
lforrest said:
Are you assuming that the people that don't tithe are giving less? Martin is probably right that there are a vast majority of freeloaders in the church, but suppose they all grudgingly tithed what would change?
Forrest...............nope...they wouldn't change a thing...........for they gave grudgingly....not cheerfully..........so if they gave grudgingly then they have never been touched by the Almighty still playin games with their lives.

And again it's about obedience not sacrifice............The Lord said test me in this.......give it a try.........heck.....whatcha got to lose?

Other giving is called offerings........that's what you give.....tithes you bring. :)

Forrest I haven't lied to ya yet buddy................but if you were here sitting beside me.........then you would be shown...not told...
And I wouldn't be so hell bent on this if He doesn't do what He said He would do.
Luv Ya

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Paul says it best in the very scripture you refer to regarding being a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:6-11:

"6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.(N) 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give,(O) not reluctantly or under compulsion,(P) for God loves a cheerful giver.(Q) 8 And God is able(R) to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need,(S) you will abound in every good work. 9 As it is written:

“They have freely scattered their gifts(T) to the poor;
their righteousness endures forever.”(U)

10 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food(V) will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness.(W) 11 You will be enriched(X) in every way so that you can be generous(Y) on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.(Z)"

So my interpretation: You are blessed to be a blessing to others. You should give selflessly, expecting nothing in return. God will allocate more responsibilities if you are proven faithful giving from what you have. Then it says your be enriched in every way, i.e. materially and spiritually, so that you may be generous, not just with money but with your time and efforts. Then people will see your good works and glorify God.

No where do I see a limit for how much you can give of yourself. Do not be compelled by any rule, but push yourself internally to give as much as your faith allows. Then it will be the Almighty playing games with your life, and that is the best game of all.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
lforrest said:
Paul says it best in the very scripture you refer to regarding being a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:6-11:

"6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.(N) 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give,(O) not reluctantly or under compulsion,(P) for God loves a cheerful giver.(Q) 8 And God is able(R) to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need,(S) you will abound in every good work. 9 As it is written:

“They have freely scattered their gifts(T) to the poor;
their righteousness endures forever.”(U)

10 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food(V) will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness.(W) 11 You will be enriched(X) in every way so that you can be generous(Y) on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.(Z)"

So my interpretation: You are blessed to be a blessing to others. You should give selflessly, expecting nothing in return. God will allocate more responsibilities if you are proven faithful giving from what you have. Then it says your be enriched in every way, i.e. materially and spiritually, so that you may be generous, not just with money but with your time and efforts. Then people will see your good works and glorify God.

No where do I see a limit for how much you can give of yourself. Do not be compelled by any rule, but push yourself internally to give as much as your faith allows. Then it will be the Almighty playing games with your life, and that is the best game of all.
Sooooo I guess that means you don't want to take the test............... :D

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
RANDOR said:
Sooooo I guess that means you don't want to take the test............... :D
I've tried many tests based on what I decide to do in my heart, so far all of them work. The 10% tithe is only one such test, and of course he proves faithful as always.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Madad21 said:
I agree, I have had friends who have nurtured this idea that if they give to the church that God will bless them and all their financial woes will disappear, they even equated time spent in worship and study as giving of themselves, funnily enough when the pay back wasnt coming back fast enough their faiths dwindled and they harbored a animosity toward God.
They had fallen prey to these ideas that they would be richly rewarded in this lifetime for their efforts, that the more they gave the more they would receive.
They would say, "we go to church we give all the time why does God continue to punish us"

when Jesus walked the earth he was born in a filthy stable, grew up in poverty he was homeless throughout his entire ministry relying on the good will of others, he gave of himself so much so that he gave up his own life as he was falsely accused and hung on a cross.
That's the problem with prosperity preaching. God doesn't necessarily want people to be rich or even well off. In fact, many people can't handle it. People with money insulate themselves from problems....and from people, and become woefully attached to material possessions. The most pious Christians in the history of the Church were in fact very poor, yet did great things. Prosperity preachers simply comb through the Bible eclectically searching for anything that supports their teaching and bypass anything that doesn't, which is the prominent error behind all false teachings.

And prosperity in the New Testament was a problem, not a blessing, such as the churches in Revelation. "You say, 'I am rich. I have become wealthy and have need of nothing.' and do not know that you are miserable, wretched, poor, blind, and naked." (3:17) The fact that material prosperity can cause spiritual poverty is not a new concept at all.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......they were rich without Him...............Jesus doesn't want you poor......
Now ya can be rich with Him...........then who gets the credit?...................right God

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This Vale Of Tears said:
That's the problem with prosperity preaching. God doesn't necessarily want people to be rich or even well off. In fact, many people can't handle it. People with money insulate themselves from problems....and from people, and become woefully attached to material possessions. The most pious Christians in the history of the Church were in fact very poor, yet did great things. Prosperity preachers simply comb through the Bible eclectically searching for anything that supports their teaching and bypass anything that doesn't, which is the prominent error behind all false teachings.

And prosperity in the New Testament was a problem, not a blessing, such as the churches in Revelation. "You say, 'I am rich. I have become wealthy and have need of nothing.' and do not know that you are miserable, wretched, poor, blind, and naked." (3:17) The fact that material prosperity can cause spiritual poverty is not a new concept at all.
I totally agree. Prosperity does not mean material wealth.