To be a christian do I have to...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

transparent_opacity

Sep 10, 2007
Ok I've got a question that I really need answered. I consider myself to be a christian, and I'm trying to improve/straighten my faith, how ever Do I need to go to church to be a christian?It's not that I don't want to go to church, it's that I'm not able. The closest church to me is roughly 3-5 miles away from where I live; Ok so your most likely thinking why not drive, Well I'm just under the legal age and I'm not able to get a drive. My mom's not to keen on driving me and my dad's usually busy.When ever I can I walk, however I can only do this once in a while because the weather's generally not amazingly good.I feel like I'm just making excuses not to go, But I really do want to, however is not possible most sundays.So, Can I still be a good christian without going to church?

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
No. If there is no other way for you to go it is fine. Just worship God,read the bible pray. Church helps stengthen your belief and provides you with information (from the bible in a good church). God knows your heart. I see no reason why not going to church would consider you not to be a christian! Unless your not worshipping etc. You know what I mean

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
Church is somewhere we can go to be with other believers and learn about our faith and worship and pray with others. Sometimes it's good to know you're not the only Christian
smile.gif
, But no not required for salvation. Sometimes I feel like staying home and just spend time with the Lord. I even did my own communion once!
smile.gif

walking4him

Mar 31, 2008
Well "going" to church is a misnomer. Most people think that they have to go to a specific building etc. Just find a group of people in your area and get together at least once a week and praise the Lord together. You could decide to create a Bible study program on top of your own general Bible readings.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
Have you asked at the church about transportation? I've never been to one where there was no one willing to come and get you. If they're not, then that church isn't worth going to anyway.We are told in Hebrews 10:25 that we are not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together for fellowship and to strengthen one another in the faith. As a 13-year-old someone from the church picked me up and brought me home. It was the church bus, but many churches have those, or someone might be willing to pick you up in their car.

transparent_opacity

Sep 10, 2007
Well "going" to church is a misnomer. Most people think that they have to go to a specific building etc. Just find a group of people in your area and get together at least once a week and praise the Lord together. You could decide to create a Bible study program on top of your own general Bible readings.
There's kid in one of my classes who wanted to start something like a Bible Study group up for something like after school. I'll have to talk about it with him.
Have you asked at the church about transportation? I've never been to one where there was no one willing to come and get you. If they're not, then that church isn't worth going to anyway.We are told in Hebrews 10:25 that we are not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together for fellowship and to strengthen one another in the faith. As a 13-year-old someone from the church picked me up and brought me home. It was the church bus, but many churches have those, or someone might be willing to pick you up in their car.
I have to look into this, I know there's a few people really close to where I live that would most likely be willing to drive me. I've actually never thought about this before you mentioned it:)And thanks everyone for you answers.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Find someone at the church that can pick you up
smile.gif
. Or ride a bike, 3 miles isn't incredibly far away.How old are you?

walking4him

Mar 31, 2008
I'm having the same problem of fellowship. None of my friends are strong enough in Christ to have real bible study. My former manager attends a very nice church but it's like 20 miles away. I'm a college student and gas is like $53 a week to fill up the car if I don't drive the 20 miles twice a week. It's unfortunate that people have to make sacrifices to find a "proper" church

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
first of all Church is the body of Christ. Christians are the body. Church is not a building but it is people. As someone suggested get together with people and simply study the word together. One nice thing about not being a member of a "church" is that you don't become indoctrinated with strange teachings that are for the purpose of suiting man and not serving God.I don't attend church either, but I have plenty of fellowship with others who walk with the Lord. Not once have I ever been convicted in my spirit or soul that not attending a church was a grave sin that could take away my salvation....be blessed

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You can't go to church because you are the church. What makes the new covenant different is the fact that God promised to reside in each one of us not in a building made with hands.You give expression to the church when ever two or three are gathered together in his name regardless of physical location. Milllions of christians are abandoning organised religion in favour of small fellowship groups which meet in homes, schools, office, parks, cafes, mountains etc.I would suggest you find some friends at school and meet with them at lunchtime or after school to fellowship, prayer for one another and learn the ways of God for you via the bible.You may do yourself a favour by keeping clear of organised religion.