To pray or not?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello all. I have a question about praying. John 9:31 says “We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, God listens to him.”

So should the unsaved only pray for salvation and repentance? If an unsaved person asks for forgiveness daily for a habitual sin, is that an insult to God?

AceWestfall08

Apr 29, 2022
West Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my opinion, Praying is the act of talking to god/thinking about him/seeking him. It is not asking for something. I think prayer is misdefined. I think God hears all who seek him, and chooses to respond when the time is ready for those who are able to be ready.

Reactions: Lambano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
In my opinion, Praying is the act of talking to god/thinking about him/seeking him. It is not asking for something. I think prayer is misdefined. I think God hears all who seek him, and chooses to respond when the time is ready for those who are able to be ready.
@AceWestfall08 Romans 8 shows how the believer cries 'Abba, Father'; it's such a searching chapter with relevance to prayer.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

so if a person is confessing their sins, do you consider that to be prayer?

AceWestfall08

Apr 29, 2022
West Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God gave us a conscience for a reason. That isnt necessarily prayer. But my dad is a believer that god speaks to us through our conscience. Confessing your sin I think is being able to open up and be honest about your sin. Like not be in Denial about it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
God gave us a conscience for a reason. That isnt necessarily prayer. But my dad is a believer that god speaks to us through our conscience. Confessing your sin I think is being able to open up and be honest about your sin. Like not be in Denial about it.
@AceWestfall08 Hebrews 9 speaks of the believer's conscience being purged:

"For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?" (Hebrews 9.13-14).

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

a conscience is important, but in my experience, you cant count on it. The more we sin, knowingly, the easier it is for our conscience to become suppressed, how many people you ever heard of having affairs who sleep like a baby at nite. Their conscience cant be relied on.
Confessing your sins, where the same sin is happening over and over, is an insult to the Lord. It makes you a hypocrite and it shouldnt be done. If you have a habitual sin, there is a high probability you aint saved.

AceWestfall08

Apr 29, 2022
West Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's all a matter of the heart. People can struggle with addictions to sin and be in chains. Your philosophy is letting them be stuck in those chains. There are so many distractions and the culture is about drama, most people don't take God seriously to hear God. God is told them in the approach of a story. Or portrayed as a wishing well. Or as words in a well known book. No, God wants to be in control of our life and most people can't "trust" him with it. It doesn't mean they don't feel bad about sinning.

My thoughts are not your thoughts

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

AceWestfall08

Apr 29, 2022
West Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can't know the Lord's thoughts about a person. They may be unrepentant in one area of there life but in a whole different area the Lord is working on them. Nobody can truly know another person's relationship with God. I believe he comes in many forms and talks to us through all channels, even other religions

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We can't know the Lord's thoughts about a person. They may be unrepentant in one area of there life but in a whole different area the Lord is working on them. Nobody can truly know another person's relationship with God. I believe he comes in many forms and talks to us through all channels, even other religions
Your ref. to Isaiah 55 was good; and the Lord indeed searches the heart. There is also John 14.6; and John 1.14. Colossians 2.9 says, 'In Him dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily'.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I have a question about praying. John 9:31 says “We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, God listens to him.”

So should the unsaved only pray for salvation and repentance? If an unsaved person asks for forgiveness daily for a habitual sin, is that an insult to God?
It might be wise to read that verse in context. The words were spoken by the Pharisees in response to a healing by Jesus. They were questioning who Jesus was ….they saw the blind man as a sinner, so how could Jesus possibly be God because God had nothing to do with sinners ! ( or at least that’s how I read the passage )
So is the statement about prayer true or is it just the Pharisees reasoning being proclaimed as a truth ?
Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Repentance is a lasting and ongoing work of God in a believer's heart: "For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death." (2 Corinthians 7.10)

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
On a personal note I think any communication with God is valuable, regardless to who you are or where you stand. Prayer is communication and through asking one thing The Lord may well use that openness in many ways. Jesus used communication in many ways, like the women at the well. The Jews would not have even had that conversation with her because of where she came from. Jesus showed that he knew her, her circumstances and that conversation led to her receiving the Lord……I realise that is a different context x

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If an unsaved person asks for forgiveness daily for a habitual sin, is that an insult to God?

Yes.

He knows he is doing wrong and is not doing anything about it.
example, a drunk knows he has to stop drinking, yet continues, he will not change his habits/face his addiction. Your friend knows he needs salvation, it's why he prays for forgiveness but will not face the issue of submitting to God in repentance and accepting salvation.

So untill he does that his prayers for forgiveness are a slap in Gods face.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no doubt whatsoever that the dark Powers That Be would love to give a sinner some intellectual reason to NOT confess their sins before Almighty God, to NOT seek forgiveness of sins. It’s the best way to keep the unsaved, unsaved.

Reactions: dev553344

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no doubt whatsoever that the dark Powers That Be would love to give a sinner some intellectual reason to NOT confess their sins before Almighty God, to NOT seek forgiveness of sins. It’s the best way to keep the unsaved, unsaved.

ya know, i’ve been thinking all day about what me and my pastor talked about. Most of the time after i talk to a pastor, they try to make you feel better. Not today. I felt like as bad as my views are towards salvation, it may not be bad enough. We were discussing the WCF and how it was painting those who do have sins and struggle, theres no guarantee you’ll win. And how that in itself could be a sign you are not of the elect. It was a very somber meeting. And i dont feel very good about my prospects.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If an unsaved person asks for forgiveness daily for a habitual sin, is that an insult to God?

So untill he does that his prayers for forgiveness are a slap in Gods face.

The unsaved person bloody well ought to pray for forgiveness. "When you ain't got nothin', you got nothin' to lose." He's going to Hell anyway; what's the point in worrying about which bolgia in Hell he gets sent to?

"Freedom's just another word for, 'nothin' left to lose'".

There. I got a Dante reference, a Dylan quote, and a Kris Kristofferson quote all in one post. Though I'll always hear Bobby McGee in Janis Joplin's raspy (but lovely) voice. Another talented one who's life was wasted due to drug abuse.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ya know, i’ve been thinking all day about what me and my pastor talked about. Most of the time after i talk to a pastor, they try to make you feel better. Not today. I felt like as bad as my views are towards salvation, it may not be bad enough. We were discussing the WCF and how it was painting those who do have sins and struggle, theres no guarantee you’ll win. And how that in itself could be a sign you are not of the elect. It was a very somber meeting. And i dont feel very good about my prospects.
Maybe. Like you were saying on the other thread, maybe God is letting you finally see yourself as you really are. But, to borrow a piece of wisdom from sister Stunned By Grace, that God is giving you more light to see yourself should give you a little hope that He wants you to get clean, and He wants you to get saved.

I'll keep praying for you. I don't have anything else to hold onto either, except that Jesus told us and showed us that His father was merciful and gracious and loving. You keep praying too, y'hear? Don't worry that God'll feel insulted and send you to a deeper circle in Hell. They all suck anyways.

Now go do what you need to do.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

An unsaved person has an “intercessor/advocate” he can pray to. JESUS.