To some of the "trollers" on this platform

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can personally tell you Joe, that I have posted on many sites, but by far this has proven to be the best one in the long run. Most here are quite considerate, and sincere in their beliefs. Most stay very civil when discussing their differences, and many times give the reason why they believe the way they do.

It is very rare that I want to contribute to a site such as this, but I am willing to support them but so far have been unable to figure out how. I have been posting here for a little over a year, and I am totally happy with them, and how most conduct themselves here. This has been the best site for speaking to new ones regularly as well, many from all over the world, take you for example from South Africa. Truly a privilege being able to speak with you sir. Makes it easy for us to fulfill our responsibility found at Mat 24:14
Speaking of civility in discussion, I owe you a heartfelt apology, Mr. Gwin, for the way I behaved in our last exchange, and probably a few before that. I'm sorry to have abused you so rudely. I've been sort of making the rounds, apologizing where I find the victims (in the true and balanced sense of the word) of my past aggressions, having been convicted recently of my lack of Christian charity. I'm a mess, to be sure, and I wouldn't venture to make promises for the future, except that I know God has done and will do His part to check my temperament. Again, I'm sorry. :(:)

Reactions: marks and Lambano

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm..too much caffeine, interesting response re my question "What is the gospel/euangellion/besuras"
Here is one for you Ziggi...how many mysteries given to Paul and what are they?
According to this there are 7 mysteries revealed to Paul.
So I'm copying here, not plagerism..
The Seven Mysteries Revealed to Paul

All right, the first mystery is the mystery of the incarnation. That’s First Timothy 3:16First Timothy 3:16. That’s the mystery of the incarnation. This is the text: "Without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."
That’s the mystery of what I’d call "the full gospel, the whole gospel" – the mystery of the coming of the Son of God in the flesh: "manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels . . ." [1 Timothy 3:16].

All right, all right, the second mystery revealed to the apostle Paul: Colossians 1:25-28, Colossians 1:25-28. This is the mystery of the indwelling Christ. Colossians 1:25:
Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfill the Word of God;
Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to the saints:
To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man teleios in Christ Jesus.

All right, the third mystery: the third mystery is the mystery of the church – Ephesians 3:1-10. And I will take no further time on that because the last two services, I have spoken on that passage. The mystery of the church – Ephesians [3:]1-10:
How that by revelation He made known unto me the mystery . . .
Whereby, when ye read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ
Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, but is now revealed unto His holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit.
Namely, that the Gentiles and the Jews were to be together in a church, an organism called the church [Ephesians 3:6] – a thing that was hid from the old prophets and the old seers. And they never saw it this long distance of time between the sufferings of Christ and the glory of Christ and the dispensation of grace in between – what we call the church age.

All right, the fourth mystery – – and I hastily go over this one. I’ve spoken of it before. The fourth mystery is the mystery of the blindness of Israel, and that is discussed in the eleventh chapter of the Book of Romans. And I read just a verse: 25 and 26. Romans 11:25-26 – the mystery of the blindness of Israel.
I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.
But when that day comes, when that day comes, all Israel shall be saved.

All right, now the fifth one: the fifth mystery is the mystery of the translation of the church. When that final day comes, when the last one is added to the body of Christ, the fifth mystery is the mystery of the translation of the church. That’s First Corinthians 15:50-58. First Corinthians, fifteenth chapter, 50 to 58: this is the mystery of the translation of the church. You call it "the rapture" of the church.
Behold, I shew you a mystery; we shall not all sleep –
we’re not all going to die –
but we shall all be changed –
transfigured, translated –
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall all be changed.

Let’s go to the sixth one real quick. The sixth mystery is the revelation of the antichrist – the mystery of iniquity. In the second chapter of the second Thessalonian letter, Second Thessalonians 2:1-9, that’s the sixth mystery:
Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and our gathering together unto Him
That ye be not soon shaken or troubled –
Let no man deceive you . . . that day will not come, except –
when there is a great falling away, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshiped; so that he as God sitting in a temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Now the last one, real quick like. The seventh mystery is the mystery of the bride of Christ – the bride of Christ, the church – the bride of Christ. Now that’s in Ephesians 5:22-32. Ephesians 5, verse 22 to 32: "Wives," then he speaks of the wife and her husband, "As the husband is the head of the wife, so Christ is the head of the church. Husbands, as Christ loved the church, gave Himself for it" [from Ephesians 5:22-25] and so on.

I was listening to the book of Jasher last night. What do you think of that book?
Hugs

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
According to this there are 7 mysteries revealed to Paul.
So I'm copying here, not plagerism..
The Seven Mysteries Revealed to Paul

All right, the first mystery is the mystery of the incarnation. That’s First Timothy 3:16First Timothy 3:16. That’s the mystery of the incarnation. This is the text: "Without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."
That’s the mystery of what I’d call "the full gospel, the whole gospel" – the mystery of the coming of the Son of God in the flesh: "manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels . . ." [1 Timothy 3:16].

All right, all right, the second mystery revealed to the apostle Paul: Colossians 1:25-28, Colossians 1:25-28. This is the mystery of the indwelling Christ. Colossians 1:25:
Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfill the Word of God;
Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to the saints:
To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man teleios in Christ Jesus.

All right, the third mystery: the third mystery is the mystery of the church – Ephesians 3:1-10. And I will take no further time on that because the last two services, I have spoken on that passage. The mystery of the church – Ephesians [3:]1-10:
How that by revelation He made known unto me the mystery . . .
Whereby, when ye read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ
Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, but is now revealed unto His holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit.
Namely, that the Gentiles and the Jews were to be together in a church, an organism called the church [Ephesians 3:6] – a thing that was hid from the old prophets and the old seers. And they never saw it this long distance of time between the sufferings of Christ and the glory of Christ and the dispensation of grace in between – what we call the church age.

All right, the fourth mystery – – and I hastily go over this one. I’ve spoken of it before. The fourth mystery is the mystery of the blindness of Israel, and that is discussed in the eleventh chapter of the Book of Romans. And I read just a verse: 25 and 26. Romans 11:25-26 – the mystery of the blindness of Israel.
I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.
But when that day comes, when that day comes, all Israel shall be saved.

All right, now the fifth one: the fifth mystery is the mystery of the translation of the church. When that final day comes, when the last one is added to the body of Christ, the fifth mystery is the mystery of the translation of the church. That’s First Corinthians 15:50-58. First Corinthians, fifteenth chapter, 50 to 58: this is the mystery of the translation of the church. You call it "the rapture" of the church.
Behold, I shew you a mystery; we shall not all sleep –
we’re not all going to die –
but we shall all be changed –
transfigured, translated –
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall all be changed.

Let’s go to the sixth one real quick. The sixth mystery is the revelation of the antichrist – the mystery of iniquity. In the second chapter of the second Thessalonian letter, Second Thessalonians 2:1-9, that’s the sixth mystery:
Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and our gathering together unto Him
That ye be not soon shaken or troubled –
Let no man deceive you . . . that day will not come, except –
when there is a great falling away, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshiped; so that he as God sitting in a temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Now the last one, real quick like. The seventh mystery is the mystery of the bride of Christ – the bride of Christ, the church – the bride of Christ. Now that’s in Ephesians 5:22-32. Ephesians 5, verse 22 to 32: "Wives," then he speaks of the wife and her husband, "As the husband is the head of the wife, so Christ is the head of the church. Husbands, as Christ loved the church, gave Himself for it" [from Ephesians 5:22-25] and so on.

I was listening to the book of Jasher last night. What do you think of that book?
Hugs
Well done Ziggy, in this Age of Enlightenment and instant potatoes, mash and coffee and the Internet we can get answers to questions at the push of a button, Google search...nothing wrong with that, just wondering what would happen should there be a major crash and no access to the world wide web.

Now, how do you understand these mysteries?

Really not interested in the book of Jasper.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Well done Ziggy, in this Age of Enlightenment and instant potatoes, mash and coffee and the Internet we can get answers to questions at the push of a button, Google search...nothing wrong with that, just wondering what would happen should there be a major crash and no access to the world wide web.

Now, how do you understand these mysteries?

Really not interested in the book of Jasper.
No worries, I was also accused of plagiarism by one of the members for quoting "extensively" from Garner-Howes, a commentary I have on my e sword
J.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
just wondering what would happen should there be a major crash and no access to the world wide web.
I would simply pray.
And I would rely on the holy spirit to guide me in my prayers.
Because I can't memorize chapters and verses. I've tried. But I remember the words. I remember the lessons to the best of my ability.
But if I didn't have the internet (and I've thought about this a lot, because my monthly disability check leaves me flat) then I have songs in my heart I can sing and Praise the Lord. No matter what kind of weather, I can always sing and pray.
:D
Hugs

You want to take those mysteries one at a time?
There's a lot of meat there, and my dentures don't fit.
So it takes me time to gnaw on the fat.

Reactions: marks

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I would simply pray.
And I would rely on the holy spirit to guide me in my prayers.
Because I can't memorize chapters and verses. I've tried. But I remember the words. I remember the lessons to the best of my ability.
But if I didn't have the internet (and I've thought about this a lot, because my monthly disability check leaves me flat) then I have songs in my heart I can sing and Praise the Lord. No matter what kind of weather, I can always sing and pray.
Hugs

You want to take those mysteries one at a time?
There's a lot of meat there, and my dentures don't fit.
So it takes me time to gnaw on the fat.

Lol! yes, they are "meaty" and even Peter said ole Paul wrote things "hard" to understand..2Pe_3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Guess that is why the majority are at ease with reading the four gospels, nothing wrong with that...

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I use Blueletterbible.org. And the only tools I use is when I want to cross reference a verse, or look up a specific word.
Sometimes find a different translation.
But other than that, there are so many tools. I just haven't the time to use them all or figure them out yet.

I been online here in this forum since 7am. It's now 10:30pm.
And I'm still not sleepy lol.
It would take me awhile just to learn how to use the tools in that website.

Ah well, we all have our own methods.
Hugs
I think reference books and "Bible tools" can be terrific, and they can also be terrible. But learning what the Bible says through sheer repetition is what I think is most important.

The Holy Spirit is the best teacher. I still use the study helps from time to time, but mostly just reading, over and over and over.

We each follow the Spirit's leading in our hearts. Some, I imagine, to read commentaries, and some to read just the Bible. He's as personal to each of us as we are unique.

Much love!

Reactions: BarneyFife

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I don't believe God would have his word so out of reach that even a new christian couldn't understand what he is trying to tell us.
I think we make things more complicated than it needs to be.

But that's just me and my opinion.
I do happen to share that opinion.

Much love!

Reactions: BarneyFife

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I do happen to share that opinion.

Much love!
1Co_3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
1Co 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Co_3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
1Co 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
Yes, there is milk, and there is meat.

What do you consider to be the real meat of the Word? What is the #1 thing God desires of us?

Much love!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
tenor.gif

troll-face-gif-18.gif

latest
That is one ugly looking thing my friend .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The mystery of godliness. Godliness is revealed in that God appeared in flesh . . .

This is the same godliness that Peter teaches us to add to our faith,

2 Peter 1:5-7 KJV
5) And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6) And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7) And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

This is godliness being revealed. That's a high calling when I think what it means to add godliness. This reminds me of Psalm 16.

Much love!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Enlighten me

1 Corinthians 3:1-3 (KJV) – “And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?”

The word “milk” in the above quote (Greek gala) means the basic, elemental teachings of Christianity first learned by new believers according to Vine’s Expository Dictionary of the Old and New Testaments. The word “meat” in 1Corinthians is from the Greek word “Broma”. Its’ Strong’s number is G1033. It means the deeper, more complete teachings of God’s Word.

Paul addressed several church-related problems in his first letter to the Corinthians. There was one problem that he knew was carnal. This problem was evidence of their spiritual immaturity. Some in Corinth had aligned themselves to certain teachers (Paul, Apollos, Peter). They were causing contentions and divisions in the church by arguing about which preacher was the most spiritual (verses 3 – 23)! Paul thought that teaching the church the deeper truths of God would be a waste of time. After all how could they understand the deeper principles of the scriptures if they continued to entangle themselves in petty debates over who was ‘the greatest!’

Paul contrasts the idea of spiritual “milk” and “meat” in his letter to the Hebrews.

Hebrews 5:12 (KJV) – “For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.”

Paul does state, a few verses later, some of the teachings he considers are the “first principles of the oracles of God.”

• Repentance
• Faith in God
• Baptism and its meaning
• The laying on of hands
• The resurrection of the dead
• Eternal judgment (Hebrews 6:1-2)

Hebrews 6:1-2 (KJV) – “Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

In conclusion, if we use the Bible to interpret itself, the words “meat” and “strong meat” refer to deeper, more complex Christian teachings. However the word “milk” refers to the basics of Christian teaching. Interestingly, Peter uses part of this same metaphor when he writes to encourage scattered new believers.

1 Peter 2:2 (KJV) – “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby.”

I don’t know about you, but I want all of the Word of God, both the milk and the meat. I want to rightly divide the Word of truth. I want the scriptures to reveal themselves to me. Prayer and systematic study are the keys to feasting on the “meat” of God’s Word.

Reactions: Ziggy