Tongue Babbling and Prophesying

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
It does mean more setfree but teaching is a good summery whether it be a truthto come as in future or teach Gods word which provides comfort ect. 1) prophecya) a discourse emanating from divine inspiration and declaring the purposes of God, whether by reproving and admonishing the wicked, or comforting the afflicted, or revealing things hidden; esp. by foretelling future events
cool.gif
Used in the NT of the utterance of OT prophets1) of the prediction of events relating to Christ's kingdom and its speedy triumph, together with the consolations and admonitions pertaining to it, the spirit of prophecy, the divine mind, to which the prophetic faculty is due2) of the endowment and speech of the Christian teachers called prophets3) the gifts and utterances of these prophets, esp. of the predictions of the works of which, set apart to teach the gospel, will accomplish for the kingdom of Christto teach the gospel

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Where in scripture does it say that tongues was used for teaching? Prophesy I see.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Prophesy is teaching teaching a truth 2) of the endowment and speech of the Christian teachers called prophets3) the gifts and utterances of these prophets, esp. of the predictions of the works of which, set apart to teach the gospel, will accomplish for the kingdom of Christto teach the gospel

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
That is in the definition of prophecy. I was wondering if there is an example of tongues spoken in reference to teaching.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
What were the prophets of old doing they were teaching a truth given them by God to the people was somtimes a future event or a warning ect. But they were in essence teaching the people Gods truth imparted to them

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(kriss;29951)
That was the gift of understanding and speaking forgein languages so that the new church could teach those who spoke other languages it was a temperay gift and had nothing to do with unknown babble
We are speaking of the gift of tongues, right? Where do you get from scriptures that this gift was to teach those who spoke other languages?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Tongues in acts and Tongues in Cor are not the same thing everyone seems to confuse the two one is the cloven tongue of God it is understood by all it alone is evidense of the holy spirtActs 2:6 "Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and was confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language."Even a child can understand that when the Spirit of God spoke here that every person, all the people understood. No matter where they were from in the world, they heard the words with clarity. This is what dumfounded them, for it had never happened before. Acts 2:8 "And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? "These Jews not only heard in their on language but in the very dialect of the neighborhood that they were born. This is the evidence of the presence of the Holy Spirit. It is this tongue that will come upon those that are delivered up to fulfill those prophesies of Mark 13:11. This is Languages what was Paul and the others doing if not teaching the gospel to a new church?So Paul in I Corinthians 14:2 is addressing something entirely different than what was spoken of in Acts 2. He is not addressing the speaking in the "cloven tongue", but he is saying that if you go out and try to speak and teach without the gift of languages, the ability to speak and understand the grammar of another language, that all you would be doing is causing confusion. Those foreigners listening to you would not even have enough knowledge to say "Amen", and know when you were finished. I Corinthians 14:3 "But he that prophesieth speaketh unto me to edification, and exhortation, and comfort."The only reason for your teaching and prophesying in the first place is to build men up in the faith, to exhort them to live a better life, and to give comfort where it is needed. The words that you are teaching are the Words of Almighty God. It is not something that you have made up, but words that come from His Word and given under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Many today feel that they should be letting themselves go and speak and allowing strange uttering. They think that is the voice of the Holy Spirit, but it is quite the contrary. When the Holy Spirit speaks, there is no confusion in any mind present, but just plain common sense. I Corinthians 14:4 "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifeth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church."If I went to a foreign land and taught this chapter in English, where no one knows the English language, the only one that would be built up by what I said would be me. However, if I went to a church that spoke English and taught in the English, the entire church would be edified or built up by those same words. If you are truly teaching the Word of God to the body of Christ and speaking in their language, then they would gain from what you would say.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Acts 2:4 says they were filled with the HolyGhost and spake with other tongues. The Spirit gave them Utterance. This supernatural can only happen when you are filled with the Spirit. Do we agree that this is the Holy spirit speaking?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
yes but this tongue was the cloven tongue understood by allActs 2:6 "Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and was confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language."

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
I understand that they heard. That was because the ones speaking spoke in there language. It does not say if the ones speaking understood what they were saying just the ones hearing understood.(unbelievers)Now if the Holy Spirit was speaking through these disciples( as we agreed).Lets look at 1 Corinthians 14:2 He that speaketh in tongues..in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.There seem to be some resemblence to me.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Yes the mysteries of the gospels they did not know as they had never heard the word of God this is not the same as the Miracle of Acts and is translated Languages of other nationsMat 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.Luk 8:10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.The so called gentiles had never heard the mysteries Gospel of God they were not allowed in the synagoges they did have Bibles laying around these things were a mystery to them but to teach them these mysteries they had to speakt their native language

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Corinthians 14:2 says that this person is talking to God in tongues, Does it not?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I Corinthians 14:2 "For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.""Mysteries" as given in the Greek text is "divine secrets"; so why would he be speaking in divine secrets? Note also that the word "unknown" was added by the translators for it just wasn't there in the early manuscripts. Another word "tongue" also come in here and in Strong's Greek dictionary it is # 1100. "Glossa, gloce-sah'; a language, (specifically, one naturally acquired).""Tongue" as given in this chapter is one language that you have naturally acquired by learning. So the tongue that Paul is talking about is a language that is not your natural tongue, it is one that you have acquired outside your home. Remember the great commission that Jesus gave; to take the gospel to the world. If Christians could only speak English, then the other peoples of the world simply would not understand what the gospel was all about.another words if you preach only in English you speak only to God for the others of the world can not understand you

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Kriss I am really trying to understand this, please be patient with me. Acts tongues is also greek #1100. How are these different?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Because one is the cloven tongue of fire of God and was preceded by the sound of God sending the Holy spirit upon the apostles and all understood what was said at the same God spoke through the apostles and he spoke all human languages at once. This is the same Miracle that occurs in Mark 13 when the Elect are put on trial by Antichristno where in scripture is an unknown babble spoken of Gods Tongue Language all understand no matter what Language they speakIf one was speaking it spanish,or chinese, and english speaking people would understand it the evidence of the Holy spirit was the UNDERSTANDING To compare this Miracle of Pentecost with today's babble is akin to saying because we can build a dam and stop the water we can Part the sea yes they both stop the water but only one was a Miracle of GodNow it goes on to say that this is a lowly gift less than charity why for heavens sakes if this was evidence of the holy spirit in the instance of Acts it was worthy of a great Miracle that a Day is marked to remember it and the other case it be less than charitysurely if it was evidence Christ would have spoken it or taught of it

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Kriss, I am not trying to compare tongues in acts with babble. I am trying to compare scripture with scripture.The only difference in the tongues mentioned in these two (acts and Corinthians) is the cloven which means-Greek Diamerizo- divided/distribute. My Greek is very limited. I understand this to be a verb. So these divided/distribute languages set on each disciple, then they were filled with the Holy Ghost and began to speak with other languages as the Spirit gave them utterance.Maybe this was a one time event because this was the first time in the Bible this happen. I do not recall anywhere before this speaking in tongues occurred.Do you follow me so far? Am I off track?

Nov 8, 2007
Man I kind of regret Posting this up, I posted this BECAUSE ONE of the Signs of my Prophecy had Came to pass, The Strong Winds, but I guess it's became an argument whether my tongue speaking and interpretation was real. And whether the Prophecy was right. You read the Dream Kriss that I posted in the Member Lounge Forum. But if I ever get another chance to speak in tongues and prophesy, I will not post on here anymore.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Sorry unothodox christian,Didn't mean to take away from your post. I get excited when I hear about prophecy and the gifts, I am in a church that does not move in them, I can see how they would add so much to a worship service.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Unorthodox Christian;30063)
Man I kind of regret Posting this up, I posted this BECAUSE ONE of the Signs of my Prophecy had Came to pass, The Strong Winds, but I guess it's became an argument whether my tongue speaking and interpretation was real. And whether the Prophecy was right. You read the Dream Kriss that I posted in the Member Lounge Forum. But if I ever get another chance to speak in tongues and prophesy, I will not post on here anymore.
Unorthodox Im not critizing you but you know I dont believe in tongues and yes your dream about winds happened I believe you knew this from your own dream but answer me this You already got this from a dream and prayer and a vision you had previously so what did tongues have to do with it how do you know it was not your prayers and the speaking a coinsedence

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(setfree;30053)
Kriss, I am not trying to compare tongues in acts with babble. I am trying to compare scripture with scripture.The only difference in the tongues mentioned in these two (acts and Corinthians) is the cloven which means-Greek Diamerizo- divided/distribute. My Greek is very limited. I understand this to be a verb. So these divided/distribute languages set on each disciple, then they were filled with the Holy Ghost and began to speak with other languages as the Spirit gave them utterance.Maybe this was a one time event because this was the first time in the Bible this happen. I do not recall anywhere before this speaking in tongues occurred.Do you follow me so far? Am I off track?
Isa 8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?Mutter- hagah Outline of Biblical Usage 1) to moan, growl, utter, muse, mutter, devise, plot, speaka) (Qal)1) to roar, growl, groan2) to utter, speak3) to meditate, devise, muse, imagine
cool.gif
(Poal) to utterc) (Hiphil) to mutterfrom the root word- hagiyg 1) whisper, musing, murmuringa) murmuring
cool.gif
musing