Tongues From What Spirit ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Kriss, What you fail to see is that even though unknown is not in the scriptures. The languages that these disciples spoke were unknown to them. It does not say they understood what they were saying. The ones hearing understood!This is in agreement with 1 Corinthians 14:2 it says that he that speaketh in an tongue speaketh not unto men-Those at Pentecost were not speaking to the Jews they were speaking to God-1 Corinthians ..but unto God. The Jews heard what they were saying ..The wonderful works of God. These were speaking to God magnifying Him. Those that heard, heard in there own language. Also in 1 Corinthians him is also added to scripture just like unknown. So if you take out him in this verse it will read that no one understands(including the one speaking). Howbeit-BUT- in the spirit he speaketh divine mysteries(hidden things).

Agape

Dec 24, 2007
(Unorthodox Christian;30224)
She's going to look at the Pentecostals and base our experience on a blanketed Generalization of the Pentecostal denomination. I don't care what any man, woman, or angel has to say about the Gifts of Speaking in Tongues. Anyone can fake it, the Lord Vindicates it. I don't care anymore, I think when you question ones experience, and YES Kriss you are questioning my tongue speaking, you despise it. If you admit yourself that you don't know our hearts when we pray, why even question our tongue speaking? Despise not the Least of the Gifts. 5 Months have I been in the Word of God, I despise no tongue speaking and neither do I despise Prophecy 1st Thessolonians 4.
:amen:From the great Apostle Paul who Jesus Christ Himself taught the gospel and the manifestations of the gift of holy spirit of which speaking in tongues is ONE -- "I would that ye all spake with tongues" (I Cor. 14.5). Paul also said, "I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all) (I Cor. 14:18). That Paul spoke in tongues often is the reason why he received such an abundance of revelation! It's amazing how a testimony form someone no one here ever met or knows should carry more weight and influence with Christians than what Paul wrote THREE CHAPTERS, 12, 13 and 14 of I Corinthians by revelation from God regarding the manifestations and gifts of Holy Spirit. A person's testimony is not the Word of Truth. The truths within the Scriptures stand alone and are attested to, not by one's experience, which is no guarantee for truth, but by the testimony of God's Word ALONE of which God Himself is Author.I am not, by any means, saying that this person who gave his testimony of what he experience did not love God with all his heart. I believe it was due to a lack of knowledge on his part regarding the proper use of the manifestations of the Holy Spirit the Church. The confusion of "gifts" and "manifestations" in the early Church made it necessary for God by way of the Apostle Paul, to set in order not only the gifts of God, but the manifestations of the gift of holy spirit.God bless you, brother,Agape

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Maybe we need to start a thread and discuss these chapters verse by verse. The answers are there if not taken out of context.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
=Agape;30309]:amen:From the great Apostle Paul who Jesus Christ Himself taught the gospel and the manifestations of the gift of holy spirit of which speaking in tongues is ONE -- "I would that ye all spake with tongues" (I Cor. 14.5). Paul also said, "I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all) (I Cor. 14:18). That Paul spoke in tongues often is the reason why he received such an abundance of revelation!
The "tongues" Paul spoke with was not some garbled language no one, including the speaker, understood. The word tongues means a language not familar to the speaker, a language he was not born with, one he doesn't speak in everyday life. Paul could speak many languages (tongues) and as he stated, "I would that ye all spake with tongues" because then those hearing the message of God could easily be understood....an interpreter wouldn't be needed. The following scripture explains what Paul meant?1 Corinthians 14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.11.Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.13.Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpet.
It's amazing how a testimony form someone no one here ever met or knows should carry more weight and influence with Christians than what Paul wrote THREE CHAPTERS, 12, 13 and 14 of I Corinthians by revelation from God regarding the manifestations and gifts of Holy Spirit.
What Paul wrote in THREE CHAPTERS, 12, 13 AND 14 of 1 Corinthians was not about babble (I hate to call it that but can't think of a better word) but was about foreign languages.....all of which can be understood by the person hearing it.
A person's testimony is not the Word of Truth. The truths within the Scriptures stand alone and are attested to, not by one's experience, which is no guarantee for truth, but by the testimony of God's Word ALONE of which God Himself is Author.I am not, by any means, saying that this person who gave his testimony of what he experience did not love God with all his heart. I believe it was due to a lack of knowledge on his part regarding the proper use of the manifestations of the Holy Spirit the Church. The confusion of "gifts" and "manifestations" in the early Church made it necessary for God by way of the Apostle Paul, to set in order not only the gifts of God, but the manifestations of the gift of holy spirit.
Perhaps it is a lack of knowledge of those of us that are not correctly reading the Word of God, with understanding as to what the word "tongues" means, which is....an unacquired language. Meaning, one you were not born with but had to learn or were gifted with by the Holy Spirit..........Whirlwind

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(setfree;30306)
Kriss, What you fail to see is that even though unknown is not in the scriptures. The languages that these disciples spoke were unknown to them. It does not say they understood what they were saying. The ones hearing understood!This is in agreement with 1 Corinthians 14:2 it says that he that speaketh in an tongue speaketh not unto men-Those at Pentecost were not speaking to the Jews they were speaking to God-1 Corinthians ..but unto God. The Jews heard what they were saying ..The wonderful works of God. These were speaking to God magnifying Him. Those that heard, heard in there own language. Also in 1 Corinthians him is also added to scripture just like unknown. So if you take out him in this verse it will read that no one understands(including the one speaking). Howbeit-BUT- in the spirit he speaketh divine mysteries(hidden things).
setfree Im not sure you understand what I am arguing about I have no problem with Forgein languages I have no problem with the gift of speaking a forgeign language whether understood or spoken I am arguing against the practice of Mururming and groaning an unknown babble as done by Christains today Some even put pepper on their tongues to do this many are told start mururming and groaning garrable and the Holy spirit will come to you.Many teach baptisim is only evedenced by murmuring and groaning garablethis is and never was the gift nor isit spoken in scripture except in referance to familiar spirits.I understand the scriptures fine its men lies Im arguing against

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(whirlwind;30313)
The "tongues" Paul spoke with was not some garbled language no one, including the speaker, understood. The word tongues means a language not familar to the speaker, a language he was not born with, one he doesn't speak in everyday life. Paul could speak many languages (tongues) and as he stated, "I would that ye all spake with tongues" because then those hearing the message of God could easily be understood....an interpreter wouldn't be needed. The following scripture explains what Paul meant?1 Corinthians 14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.11.Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.13.Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpet.What Paul wrote in THREE CHAPTERS, 12, 13 AND 14 of 1 Corinthians was not about babble (I hate to call it that but can't think of a better word) but was about foreign languages.....all of which can be understood by the person hearing it. Perhaps it is a lack of knowledge of those of us that are not correctly reading the Word of God, with understanding as to what the word "tongues" means, which is....an unacquired language. Meaning, one you were not born with but had to learn or were gifted with by the Holy Spirit..........Whirlwind
Amen Whirlwind

Agape

Dec 24, 2007
(whirlwind;30313)
Perhaps it is a lack of knowledge of those of us that are not correctly reading the Word of God, with understanding as to what the word "tongues" means, which is....an unacquired language. Meaning, one you were not born with but had to learn or were gifted with by the Holy Spirit.
Yes I agree, and this is why I strongly suggest that you take a course on "How to Study the Bible" so you can learn how to "correctly" read and understand what is written in the Word of God.:blessyou:Agape

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
You are the one twisting the word a language is not murmuring sounds that there is no meaning to groaning is not a language it never was babies making sounds but it is not yet a language you twist the meaning of the word God says murmuring and groaning is of familiar spirit all the understanding of rightly dividing the word does not change the meaning of LanguageYour explanation is so ridiculous its like saying the Word foot means to kickTongue Means a fixed natural Language the end no murmurering in ecstasy and frenzy

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
This practice never occurred to anyone until the 1800's and man in his wisdom inserted the Word unknown instead of diverse and suddenly men can speak some unknown garble just like Magic insert a word and people will make a religion out of itPaul spoke many Languages that's it God gave him the gift of doing this so he could teach the gospel around the Worldhe never spoke murmurs and groaning and worked himself into a heathen frenzy infact we are told to pray quietly

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
1 Corinthians 14:11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice (if I do not know the meaning of the language), I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian (i.e., one that is certainly not a Christian), and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me. I don’t know what he’s talking, he’s just rambling, it’s just a noise. It doesn’t make sense. However, as a first example, if I would say to you right now, "Eá oún meé eidó teén dúnamin ‘". What did I say’ Does that mean anything to you’ I’m sure it would to some. It’s a noise/voice (in Greek). I was quoting verse 11 above, "therefore if I know not the meaning..." in part. A foreign tongue must be interpreted.this is the meaning of all of the word tounge (Language) in 1 Cor. there is no unknown muttering and groansthis is what Paul was teaching

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
(Agape;30316)
Yes I agree, and this is why I strongly suggest that you take a course on "How to Study the Bible" so you can learn how to "correctly" read and understand what is written in the Word of God.:blessyou:Agape
Agape, instead of being so caustic please answer what is written. Do you agree with the meaning, as given in Strong's, of tongues? Do you agree that what it means is a foreign language, an unacquired language and that as the Pentecostal tongue was understood by the others present? Do you or do you not stand by what you said on another post, that when you repent and receive salvation the manifestation of tongues was necessary? If you do then please show me where that was written so I can "correctly read and understand what is written in the Word of God." If it wasn't written it was just the word of man (or woman as the case may be)....Whirlwind

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Agape you can see I deleted your rude remarks funny I gave you one scripture and you come unglued and accuse me of quoting evil to you Its Gods verse not mine Ill even repost what you are so upset about 1Cr 10:10 Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer(a name for Satan)that is Satan murming and groarning is not a tongue it was done by wizards and the such.(Ish 8:17)it is a sign of the destoryer (Satan)Foreign languages to preach the gospel to the World is what the Hebrew and the Bible speak of in 1 Cor.

Status
Not open for further replies.