Tree of Good and Evil

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

eternalarcadia

Nov 15, 2007
So when God said dont eat of it, thats not what he really meant because it wasnt really a tree? Or was it really a tree?

Alistein

May 4, 2008
(eternalarcadia;53361)
I've been wondering this -- Genesis - 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.If the perfect world was intended for Adam and Eve, why was this tree created? It doesn't sound perfect if there is a tree of death in the garden.
I believe like some here have said this has to do with choice or freewill it certainly showed that Adam and Eve had a freewill while these tree could be symbolic I don't believe it is used symbolically here, I think the story is as clear as can be at least in my opinion. As for the question why the tree was created. I am not sure this this tree was created primarily for man.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(eternalarcadia;53432)
So when God said dont eat of it, thats not what he really meant because it wasnt really a tree? Or was it really a tree?
It is symbolic eternalarcadia.Can a literal tree be righteous? (Isaiah 61:3) Can a literal tree be evil and produce sin? (Matthew 7:16-20)

eternalarcadia

Nov 15, 2007
(thesuperjag;53434)
It is symbolic eternalarcadia.Can a literal tree be righteous? (Isaiah 61:3) Can a literal tree be evil and produce sin? (Matthew 7:16-20)
Just because it is being used symbolically in these passages doesn't necessarily mean thats what is being said in genesis. I think it can be interpreted either way in genesis.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(treeoflife;53431)
(thesuperjag;53428)
I see, tell me, where can we find this tree of life in this world today?
Heard about the flood did ya?BTW... 1 Corinthians 15:45-49: 45And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. 46Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. 47The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven. 48As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. 49And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.We are in the same image as Adam was... read it over if you deny it. We are in the exact same "earthy" image that Adam was, who literally lived and literally ate of a literal tree. Do not deny His Word. It is good.I'm not denying His Words or His interpretation. I am denying men's interpretation of what men thinks He is saying. What does the flood have to do with it?Genesis 3:23 - And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:Revelation 2:7 - He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.It doesn't sound like this tree of life you are referring to has been wipe away from Noah's Flood.And those verses you have quoted, you are telling me that we are all Adam's descendant? That is 100% incorrect.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(eternalarcadia;53440)
(thesuperjag;53434)
Just because it is being used symbolically in these passages doesn't necessarily mean thats what is being said in genesis. I think it can be interpreted either way in genesis.A couple of questions for you. On Genesis 3:15, what does the word seed mean to you? Why does the serpent also has a seed as well as Eve has a seed as well?

Alistein

May 4, 2008
(eternalarcadia;53432)
I believe it really was a tree however this tree was in God's garden and not generally the world. I would say everything outside the garden was under the dominion of man but the garden was God's and it was more or less a privilege for man to be able to enter and live in this garden also Genesis 2:15 says man was to keep and dress the garden not have dominion in it or over it this is in my opinion is very much similar to the new Jerusalem Revelation 21:2And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.Revelation 3:12Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Alistein

May 4, 2008
(treeoflife;53431)
Heard about the flood did ya?BTW... 1 Corinthians 15:45-49: 45And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. 46Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. 47The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven. 48As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. 49And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.We are in the same image as Adam was... read it over if you deny it. We are in the exact same "earthy" image that Adam was, who literally lived and literally ate of a literal tree. Do not deny His Word. It is good.
Very true, besides the bible says sin came by one man and death by sin and also that all die in Adam if we are not all descendants of Adam then some of us should not be subject to sin or death and if we are then not all would die in Adam but some and could have been written some die in Adam some in X and the rest in Y1 Corinthians 15:21-2221For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.Romans 5:18Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Alpha and Omega

May 11, 2008
Tree of knowledge of good and evil = Satan It is not a literal tree. Just like the fig tree parable.Do not eat = Do not have intimate relations withEve was told not to have sex with the tree (satan). Let's take a look here. What makes more sense??Eating a fruit and surely dying or having sexual relations and surely dying. Satan was trying to corrupt Jesus' blood line and Cain is his son. There is an excellent study on this subject done right on this site by Denver. Everyone that thinks its a literal tree then you should read over this Bible study.The True sin in the Garden of Eden Bible study

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Trees and a serpent are given in Gen.3 to represent men. God, in fact, calls Himself the Evergreen tree, or Fir tree in Ezekiel 31:8. To understand what, and who this serpent is, we turn to Revelation 20:2 to clear up our understanding. "And He laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan," So we see that it is Satan that is the serpent. Satan also has many other names, and in this final generation he will be known as "the Antichrist", and the "son of perdition".As I said God will interpt his own symbolism

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Alpha and Omega;53462)
Tree of knowledge of good and evil = Satan It is not a literal tree. Just like the fig tree parable.Do not eat = Do not have intimate relations withEve was told not to have sex with the tree (satan). Let's take a look here. What makes more sense??Eating a fruit and surely dying or having sexual relations and surely dying. Satan was trying to corrupt Jesus' blood line and Cain is his son. There is an excellent study on this subject done right on this site by Denver. Everyone that thinks its a literal tree then you should read over this Bible study.The True sin in the Garden of Eden Bible study
Amen!(kriss;53465)
Trees and a serpent are given in Gen.3 to represent men. God, in fact, calls Himself the Evergreen tree, or Fir tree in Ezekiel 31:8. To understand what, and who this serpent is, we turn to Revelation 20:2 to clear up our understanding. "And He laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan," So we see that it is Satan that is the serpent. Satan also has many other names, and in this final generation he will be known as "the Antichrist", and the "son of perdition".As I said God will interpt his own symbolism
Amen! x 2

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(eternalarcadia;53432)
I've never heard anyone in my life honestly interpret this to be sybolic. This is a first.The truth is it was very real, and is clearly understood by those who don't distort God's Word on the matter. It is what it is.

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(thesuperjag;53441)
I'm not denying His Words or His interpretation. I am denying men's interpretation of what men thinks He is saying. What does the flood have to do with it?Genesis 3:23 - And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:Revelation 2:7 - He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.It doesn't sound like this tree of life you are referring to has been wipe away from Noah's Flood.And those verses you have quoted, you are telling me that we are all Adam's descendant? That is 100% incorrect.
Wow. Jesus was also the rock that followed the Israelites through the desert for 40 years. Does that mean, since the rock was a symbol of Christ, that it wasn't really a rock? Perhaps it was a goat, or something made up entirely? Moses struck this rock out of frustration, and water literally poured out of it. Both the rock, the water, and the Israelites who drank it were very literal. We are also told, by Paul, that the rock that followed them was Jesus. This is a symbol, but it was very much literal.The simple, obvious, and undistored conclusion is that, what LITERALLY WAS, was ALSO INTENDED TO BE USED FOR SPIRITUAL APPLICATION IN THE FUTURE. The reason Jesus calls Himself the TREE OF LIFE is because He is drawing from the LITERAL HISTORY of man, that those who would listen would make the connection, knowing God's Word. I've never seen people so distort God's Word and believe it... I mean, honestly. It's clear that you don't understand sybolic language at all, and shouldn't talk about what you don't understand... you only distort it...

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(Alpha and Omega;53462)
There are some truly disillusioned people on this site. I realize that isn't an argument, but it needs to be said.The tree was literal. Do you not understand what a symbol is? A symbol is something that relates to something else.Oh sure, I need to read over a "Bible study" that is produced by some people on a the exact same forum that believe that the literal tree in the literal garden wasn't literal at all, all the while, God's Word stands in direct opposition. No thanks. Please perform your distortions of His Word in this thread if you will.Just because other people twist God's Word to their own destruction and make a "Bible study" out of it is really meaningless. You distort God's Word and need to come back to what He says is true. Adam was a literal man, whom was made in the image of God, and we are in that same image. You say that you have the interpretation of God, all the while rejecting the interpretation of men... but in reality, you are blinded to the fact you are given to the interpreation of a vain teaching, made by man.Here is a Bible study for you. Paul gave it. I trust Paul's Bible study, don't you?
1 Corinthians 15:45-49And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven. As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.​
It's really quite clear to those who desire to know God's Word, rather than uphold the vain teachings and traditions of man.
"The Scriptures tell us, “The first man, Adam, became a living person.” But the last Adam—that is, Christ—is a life-giving Spirit. What comes first is the natural body, then the spiritual body comes later. Adam, the first man, was made from the dust of the earth, while Christ, the second man, came from heaven. Earthly people are like the earthly man, and heavenly people are like the heavenly man. Just as we are now like the earthly man, we will someday be like the heavenly man."​
Paul clearly makes the difference. We are in the same image as Adam was... read it over if you deny it. We are in the exact same "earthy" image that Adam was, who literally lived as a living person, as a living soul, and literally ate of a literal tree. I know some of you have core foundational beliefs in Christ that are good, and they say not to throw the baby out with the bathwater... but this is getting rediculous.Read Paul's Bible study again explaining the real truth of God's Word, in 1 Corinthians 15:45-49. A literal Adam was made a living soul, earthy, and we are in the exactly same way made earthy now. Adam was not spiritual like the 2nd Adam (Jesus), who became "earthy" for our sake that we might BECOME spiritual like He is. Adam, being a living soul, also ate of a literal tree.Do not deny His Word. It is good.

Alistein

May 4, 2008
(kriss;53465)
Pardon me but are you saying Satan is a tree then how about the serpent. If Satan is the serpent and the tree that makes him 2 things existing at thesame time which is not possible. Why can't you guys just take the text as it is written.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(treeoflife;53493)
(thesuperjag;53441)
I'm not denying His Words or His interpretation. I am denying men's interpretation of what men thinks He is saying. What does the flood have to do with it?Genesis 3:23 - And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:Revelation 2:7 - He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.It doesn't sound like this tree of life you are referring to has been wipe away from Noah's Flood.And those verses you have quoted, you are telling me that we are all Adam's descendant? That is 100% incorrect.
Wow. Jesus was also the rock that followed the Israelites through the desert for 40 years. Does that mean, since the rock was a symbol of Christ, that it wasn't really a rock? Perhaps it was a goat, or something made up entirely? Moses struck this rock out of frustration, and water literally poured out of it. Both the rock, the water, and the Israelites who drank it were very literal. We are also told, by Paul, that the rock that followed them was Jesus. This is a symbol, but it was very much literal.The simple, obvious, and undistored conclusion is that, what LITERALLY WAS, was ALSO INTENDED TO BE USED FOR SPIRITUAL APPLICATION IN THE FUTURE. The reason Jesus calls Himself the TREE OF LIFE is because He is drawing from the LITERAL HISTORY of man, that those who would listen would make the connection, knowing God's Word. I've never seen people so distort God's Word and believe it... I mean, honestly. It's clear that you don't understand sybolic language at all, and shouldn't talk about what you don't understand... you only distort it...Thank you for proving my point that Christ is the Tree of Life. That the tree is not literal. May I ask you this too? Is Christ a tree or a human? (as well as being God)(Alistein;53510)
(Kriss;53465)
Trees and a serpent are given in Gen.3 to represent men. God, in fact, calls Himself the Evergreen tree, or Fir tree in Ezekiel 31:8. To understand what, and who this serpent is, we turn to Revelation 20:2 to clear up our understanding. "And He laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan," So we see that it is Satan that is the serpent. Satan also has many other names, and in this final generation he will be known as "the Antichrist", and the "son of perdition". As I said God will interpt his own symbolism
Pardon me but are you saying Satan is a tree then how about the serpent. If Satan is the serpent and the tree that makes him 2 things existing at thesame time which is not possible. Why can't you guys just take the text as it is written.Can you explain why God / Jesus Christ is Lord and also a Tree of Life in Genesis 3 while Satan / Lucifer is a Serpent and Tree of knowledge of Good and Evil?

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(thesuperjag;53520)
Thank you for proving my point that Christ is the Tree of Life. That the tree is not literal. May I ask you this too? Is Christ a tree or a human? (as well as being God)
You didn't read what I said. I adamently disagree with what you're saying here.Jesus made Himself to be symbolic of the tree of life, which was a literal, at one time tangible tree in the Garden of Eden that Adam and Even literally ate from. Consult the scripture from 1 Corinthians 15:45-49 above. It is good to believe what God tells us is true.My name "treeoflife" was not arbitrary. I'm quite familiar with Who the tree of life IS, and also WHAT the tree of life WAS in the Garden of Eden. You are over spiritualizing the truth, and changing it into what it is not. 1 Corinthians 15:45-49 is quite clear. No unnecessary offense intended, but any further disagreement is just belligerence and arrogance that fights against God's Word.Read Paul's Bible study on the matter 1 Corinthians 15:45-49, and understand. Formulate your theories around God's Word, not vain teachings that contridict it.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(treeoflife;53521)
(thesuperjag;53520)
Thank you for proving my point that Christ is the Tree of Life. That the tree is not literal. May I ask you this too? Is Christ a tree or a human? (as well as being God)
You didn't read what I said. I adamently disagree with what you're saying here.Jesus made Himself to be symbolic of the tree of life, which was a literal, at one time tangible tree in the Garden of Eden that Adam and Even literally ate from. Consult the scripture from 1 Corinthians 15:45-49 above. It is good to believe what God tells us is true.My name "treeoflife" was not arbitrary. I'm quite familiar with Who the tree of life IS, and also WHAT the tree of life WAS in the Garden of Eden. You are over spiritualizing the truth, and changing it into what it is not. 1 Corinthians 15:45-49 is quite clear. No unnecessary offense intended, but any further disagreement is just belligerence and arrogance that fights against God's Word.Read Paul's Bible study on the matter 1 Corinthians 15:45-49, and understand. Formulate your theories around God's Word, not vain teachings that contridict it.Spiritualizing Truth? Am contradicting it? Apparently you do skip Genesis 3:15.Paul is not stating we are of Adam's descendant at all. In fact he is only making a comparsion.

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(thesuperjag;53524)
Spiritualizing Truth? Am contradicting it? Apparently you do skip Genesis 3:15.Paul is not stating we are of Adam's descendant at all. In fact he is only making a comparsion.
*over* spiritualizing.Read it again, and don't change the truth. Obey it.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(treeoflife;53529)
(thesuperjag;53524)
Spiritualizing Truth? Am contradicting it? Apparently you do skip Genesis 3:15.Paul is not stating we are of Adam's descendant at all. In fact he is only making a comparsion.
*over* spiritualizing.Read it again, and don't change the truth. Obey it.I am not changing the Truth. I am reading scriptures right. So please don't make any assumptions again.