True View of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I meant where I live.

Living around other believers who are also practicing holiness would be nice.
It can be difficult to go it alone, but remember, you are not alone, and the same companionship and support needs that are met by others of a like mind and heart will be more fully met in a more intimate relationship with your Creator.

Now, I'm not saying you don't have a good relationship with God, I know absolutely nothing about that. But I am saying that felt emotional needs will be filled by our Father, even when we don't receive anything from anyone else.

Being married to a Christian woman, this is truly a joy! I don't know your situation. But I do know, you can find the fullness of His love, and His love will comfort you the rest of your life.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy and Truman

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a straight path to hell is what it is. Like A.W. Tozer states - those who have a low view of God, are destroyed.

So downplaying this and calling them "spiritual babes" is just ridiculous and turning a blind eye to the calamity of what is being taught to believers today is - again - heinous. I think it's in Jeremiah 25 or something, discussing how detrimental it will be for the "shepherds" of the herds, because they have so led the flock astray, perhaps so far gone, there is no coming back from this.
I give greater weight to the working of the Holy Spirit.

Those who have taught wrongly will answer for that. And those who have taken a light view of Scripture will answer for that.

I think there is a full spectrum of people, those who know the truth and deliberately deceive others to keep them from it. Those who have grabbed onto a convenient lie and turn a blind eye to everything else. Those who are in a hopeless muddle of lousy teaching. I don't know, all sorts of people.

I'm not downplaying anything here, I don't agree with that characterization. And I don't think that because there are many false teachers that the Holy Spirit is unable to sanctify those who are His.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Being married to a Christian woman, this is truly a joy! I don't know your situation. But I do know, you can find the fullness of His love, and His love will comfort you the rest of your life.

Much love!
@marks So were you both already believers when you married? this can be a special joy when right from the start the Christian couple has sought the will of God together, making prayer and the Scriptures a daily habit and practising Acts 2.42...

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the only way to desist sin, is to truly appreciate the heinous nature of it, the utter futility and hypocrisy of it, the utter cowardice and immaturity of it, the insatiability of it.
For me . . . desisting sin is a by-product of remaining intimate with God.

I don't have to think do much about not sinning, when my mind is filled with God.

Flee unrighteousness, yes, but you won't have to run away from sin so much if you spend your life running towards God.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Folk have no idea how magnificently beautiful holiness is. I suspect they have some sort of 'religious' idea that has a do-gooder,
super pious, better than thou element. In this they have totally missed the mark. They have superimposed a heathen perception on the living God.

Holiness has a quality that takes your breath away....yes, angels veil their faces because of its breathtaking factor.

Jesus is the personification of holiness with divinity veiled. We need to take a closer look at the man who in all cultures is the Desire of Ages......for, by beholding we become changed.
This is a great post! Wow!!

What does holiness look like? I'm going to think about this a bit before answering, but I think I know.

Much love!

Reactions: Waiting on him

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No matter where one is, God is just one repentance away. I see myself as walking down the highway of holiness. The line down the middle of the road is also Amos' plumbline, aka God's word. On the left is a ditch called, "pride." On the right is a ditch called, "unbelief."
I keep a short sin account with God. If and when He points something out, I'm quick to deal with it. This ends with my daily cross.
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with your God. This is what the Lord requires from us. - from Micah 6:8 Shalom.

. . . for he has promised, I will never leave you, nor forsake you.

Much love!

Reactions: Truman and farouk

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is not my responsibility to persuade anyone, that's what God does. He is protecting me by leading me far away from here (as in where I live). Holiness, discipleship - none of that is taught where I live.

Sad as it is, I wonder if there is a place where holiness is taught. I have my doubts.
Keep searching...fight the good fight

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For me . . . desisting sin is a by-product of remaining intimate with God.

I don't have to think do much about not sinning, when my mind is filled with God.

Flee unrighteousness, yes, but you won't have to run away from sin so much if you spend your life running towards God.

Much love!
That's true, I think that they go hand in hand, loving God & hating sin. That is, do whatever it takes to learn to love God, whichever comes first. If by fellowshipping brings you closer, or if by understanding the principles behind His precepts gains you admiration for Him, both will achieve the goal - love God and despise wickedness.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
It seems the Bible instructs us to seek God for ourselves, by ourselves, right? Not rely on other people's opinions of Him but rather seek Him and receive His opinion of Himself. It is what the Holy Spirit is for, right?

Not sure I would rely on elders, pastors or anyone else's interpretation of God when God Himself can teach us.
can't he direct us to an elder? i.e you are sick and you said you will not rely on a medicine so you refuse the medicine given to you by your beloved because you already prayed to God to heal you but what if that medicine was given to you by God to be healed

likewise what if a pastor was given to us by God just like how he has given the people in ancient times moses to lead them i am just saying what if a person that is filled with the holy spirit but you refuse to listen...

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
. That is, do whatever it takes to learn to love God, whichever comes first

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God.

Whoever is without love does not know God, for God is love.

In this way the love of God was revealed to us: God sent his only Son into the world so that we might have life through him.

In this is love: not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as expiation for our sins.

Beloved, if God so loved us, we also must love one another

Reactions: DNB and Agios

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's true, I think that they go hand in hand, loving God & hating sin. That is, do whatever it takes to learn to love God, whichever comes first. If by fellowshipping brings you closer, or if by understanding the principles behind His precepts gains you admiration for Him, both will achieve the goal - love God and despise wickedness.
What worked for me was severe illness and other assorted afflictions. That's where I really came to love God.

Much love!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the only way to love someone, if qualified, is to know them. Thus, learn about God and get to know Him, through the Scriptures. And to me, the only way to desist sin, is to truly appreciate the heinous nature of it, the utter futility and hypocrisy of it, the utter cowardice and immaturity of it, the insatiability of it. Understand not only that God prohibits particular actions and thoughts, but why He has interdicted them.
We don't practice a lot of the deeds of our youth, as maturity and wisdom has revealed to us the shameful nature of those acts. Appreciate now, that some of the acts that we commit today, may also have that subversive and repulsive nature about it, when, in time, we see the sin for what it really is.
"to me, the only way to desist sin, is to truly appreciate the heinous nature of it, the utter futility and hypocrisy of it, the utter cowardice and immaturity of it, the insatiability of it."

Learning to hate sin as God does is a wonderful thing! In some of our B.C. days, there is so much to be ashamed of now...but not then. It was fine then as we were without Christ. When I think of some of the things I have done, thinking it was okay, 'wasn't hurting anyone, after all' He has shown me shame where before there was none. Did not have an inkling that I could be hurting our Creator.

"Understand not only that God prohibits particular actions and thoughts, but why He has interdicted them."

My guess is that He prohibits anything that would hurt us, or draw us away from Him, spiritually, physically and mentally...

"...in time, we see the sin for what it really is."

And whoa, when that happens, everything comes to light!!! :eek:
But only if we are willing to see what is truly in our hearts, the bad and the ugly and yes, the good...if Christ reigns in our hearts :)

Reactions: marks

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What worked for me was severe illness and other assorted afflictions. That's where I really came to love God.

Much love!
That's interesting, are you saying that it was during a time of desperation and helplessness that forced you to rely on Him? ...not the best testimony, if you know what I mean? Or the miraculous nature of your recovery?

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the principle tenets of Judaism is that they are to have God continually before them in thought.

So what you are saying is good...unless you claim to be justified in that. Then you have fallen into the same trap as the Pharisees who also do as you do....both by basking in the sublimity of God...AND...justifying themselves for it.

Epi: I have a couple of questions related to your comments of @marks post #2. Just for clarification purposes...I can make a good guess as to what you meant. So let me do that....I think your comment to marks is all about what you wanted to 'see' in his writing that he apparently did not write out and thus lacked..

What has a principle tenet of Judaism. ...thinking of God always in all thoughts...,and I question if it is one at all, has to do with marks post of #2?

Unless it meant the basis for your entire comment. marks failed to provide you confidence that he used this same tenet you mentioned per Judaism. Did his post lack reinforcing statements of person application (physical, mental and spiritual) for his words regarding the sublimity of God, and what you also considered 'good?'

And because he lacked this crucial 'ingredient' in his words, you apparently wanted to see, you then thought he might be justified in merely just stating the greatest or wonder of God without any words of action and application? Yes, the Pharisees did preach many words without too much practice of them to show they were genuine and sincere before God; then there are many religious Pharisees today unable to tread the spiritual life as God intended.

Thanks

APAK

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"to me, the only way to desist sin, is to truly appreciate the heinous nature of it, the utter futility and hypocrisy of it, the utter cowardice and immaturity of it, the insatiability of it."

Learning to hate sin as God does is a wonderful thing! In some of our B.C. days, there is so much to be ashamed of now...but not then. It was fine then as we were without Christ. When I think of some of the things I have done, thinking it was okay, 'wasn't hurting anyone, after all' He has shown me shame where before there was none. Did not have an inkling that I could be hurting our Creator.

"Understand not only that God prohibits particular actions and thoughts, but why He has interdicted them."

My guess is that He prohibits anything that would hurt us, or draw us away from Him, spiritually, physically and mentally...

"...in time, we see the sin for what it really is."

And whoa, when that happens, everything comes to light!!! :eek:
But only if we are willing to see what is truly in our hearts, the bad and the ugly and yes, the good...if Christ reigns in our hearts :)
Yes, the constructs of this world that we are born into, truly desensitizes us to what is actually right or wrong. So many years of following and embracing misguided ideals and principles. We just don't realize the insidious and subversive nature of so many egregious acts. Example, two consenting adults, where could possibly be the harm? A little drink here or there, who's getting hurt? Don't let anyone push you around, have you no self-esteem or respect, etc...
What people don't see is the character that gets destroyed. I've always said, I've never met a promiscuous person that I could call a lady or a gentlemen, or, more obviously, met a thief who was actually a confident or compassionate person. For there is always an extremely overt character flaw within them i.e either vulgarity, selfishness, shallowness, simplicity (bimbo), deceit, hedonistic and primitive.
I've always cringed at the expression, 'they're a great person, but just don't get on their bad side'. No such thing, great people don't have such an apparent or threatening bad side - a little yeast, eventually works through the whole batch.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the constructs of this world that we are born into, truly desensitizes us to what is actually right or wrong. So many years of following and embracing misguided ideals and principles. We just don't realize the insidious and subversive nature of so many egregious acts. Example, two consenting adults, where could possibly be the harm? A little drink here or there, who's getting hurt? Don't let anyone push you around, have you no self-esteem or respect, etc...
What people don't see is the character that gets destroyed. I've always said, I've never met a promiscuous person that I could call a lady or a gentlemen, or, more obviously, met a thief who was actually a confident or compassionate person. For there is always an extremely overt character flaw within them i.e either vulgarity, selfishness, shallowness, simplicity (bimbo), deceit, hedonistic and primitive.
I've always cringed at the expression, 'they're a great person, but just don't get on their bad side'. No such thing, great people don't have such an apparent or threatening bad side - a little yeast, eventually works through the whole batch.
"I've always cringed at the expression, 'they're a great person, but just don't get on their bad side'. No such thing, great people don't have such an apparent or threatening bad side - a little yeast, eventually works through the whole batch."

I too have always cringed at this expression! If they are such a "great person" (which none exist BUT Christ anyhow), how can they have a "bad side"! It's such pride, and I know of a few just like this and I try to not roll my eyes in my mind as..."we fight not against..."

"the constructs of this world that we are born into, truly desensitizes us to what is actually right or wrong. So many years of following and embracing misguided ideals and principles."

Yes, total desensitization! Even in the old tv shows and cartoons. Satan has creeped into every area of our lives, one way or another. Discernment is big for me and, He has grown me in that area for the last decade, Praise God!

"So many years of following and embracing misguided ideals and principles. We just don't realize the insidious and subversive nature of so many egregious acts. "

For sure! It is very subtle, very sneaky...Satan has been trying to subvert God's message from day one. And, when one comes to belief in Christ later in life, there is much shedding to be done, much un-learning the lies and learning the TRUTH. But, late or early, He is faithful :)

"...What people don't see is the character that gets destroyed."

Yes! We can see it in our old selves, at least I see how it affected me. I did not realize all the bad characteristics in myself until HE showed me! :oops:
God bless and keep you!

Reactions: DNB