Truth is not relative

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have any idea how many different "Targums" there are, written by various Rabbis as they each privately interpreted different passages of Scripture?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Go into all the world..." If you think that means "travel to the farthest forest and desert....", then it would seem obvious that you must be defying God if you are typing your posts from your home. How do you get around giving that verse more than one meaning, when you swear there can be only ONE meaning to every verse in the bible?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have any idea how many different "Targums" there are, written by various Rabbis as they each privately interpreted different passages of Scripture?
A Targum, by definition, would only be an interpretation of things in the book of Daniel, as that is the only scripture of the Old Testament that was originally written in Aramaic.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Go into all the world..." If you think that means "travel to the farthest forest and desert....", then it would seem obvious that you must be defying God if you are typing your posts from your home. How do you get around giving that verse more than one meaning, when you swear there can be only ONE meaning to every verse in the bible?
I do in fact preach, sometimes, to the birds and animals.

Billy Graham did so, in his early years, to the trees.

It does say to preach the gospel to every creature.

That is not the only verse that speaks on the subject.

In order to get a valid public interpretation, you need to have solid Bible expositors who take into account every verse on any given subject; and also let their interpretations to be subject to scrutiny from the public eye.

Also, while there is only one meaning/interpretation to every verse in the Bible, there is often more than one application.

We can also extrapolate from holy scripture precious truths when we compare scripture with scripture (see 1 Corinthians 2:13 (kjv)).

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Targum, by definition, would only be an interpretation of things in the book of Daniel, as that is the only scripture of the Old Testament that was originally written in Aramaic.
You didn't even bother to read the Encyclopedia Britannica definition I posted, did you? No wonder you still don't know what a Targum is.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't even bother to read the Encyclopedia Britannica definition I posted, did you? No wonder you still don't know what a Targum is.
I looked it up on google.

You're saying google isn't a valid source for definitions?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@justbyfaith

Those really rightly divide the word of truth do not do so by a better exegesis. They do it by not quenching the Holy Spirit within themselves and by being led always by the Holy Spirit.

Paul's written verse which you quoted does not say that a person will receive the truth by study. He said to study to get God's approval, which means to obey and study. A man may receive truth in his Bible studies, but only if he is led to truth by the Holy Ghost. That is rightly dividing!

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

Those who simply study the scripture and use their own brain according to what men have described as exegesis without the Holy Spirit will weary themselves go the way that Solomon describes here:

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecc 12:12

What does that mean? That is man's definition perhaps according to Webster, but what does it have to do with the discussion? God is bound by His Word. His Word is Jesus. The Word was made flesh. We are to have written in our hearts the Word of God and that only happens by the Holy Spirit.

"To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:" Col 1:27
I do believe that its only by confirmation of the Holy Spirit that God will reveal His approval of you.

Reactions: amadeus

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a foundational issue with Protestantism and "sola scriptura": every person can firmly believe that their personal understanding of scripture is correct, and when there are conflicts between them, there is zero way to reconcile and it turns into a godless battle of egos.

By all means, a person can believe sola scriptura. But that means they have zero business telling another person how to believe because instead they should say "turn to scripture and come with your own interpretation"

Reactions: Marymog

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All you seem to ever give is a message of rejection, have you noticed this?

@Waiting on him, I have to say that I feel a little betrayed by you.

By all means, a person can believe sola scriptura. But that means they have zero business telling another person how to believe because instead they should say "turn to scripture and come with your own interpretation"

No; because it is important that the interpretation of scripture be public and not private. Whenever any interpretation is subjected to public scrutiny, it will stand or fall based on whether it is true or whether we know instinctively in our hearts that the interpretation is false. Some people ignore that instinct. Some people do not have that instinct.

But for those who have the Holy Ghost, the following is true:

Luk 24:45, Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

1Jo 2:20, But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
1Jo 2:21, I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

1Jo 2:27, But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why don't you copy and paste it on here so it is more accessible, and then make your point?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No; because it is important that the interpretation of scripture be public and not private.
Did you convert to Catholicism?
Because this is the Catholic argument: it's not up to an individual to interpret scripture, but God's appointed Church.

Whenever any interpretation is subjected to public scrutiny, it will stand or fall based on whether it is true or whether we know instinctively in our hearts that the interpretation is false. Some people ignore that instinct. Some people do not have that instinct.

But for those who have the Holy Ghost, the following is true
And when person's A "instinct" conflicts with person B's.... battle of the egos, no True Scotsman, claiming that the other does not have the Spirit!

Reactions: bbyrd009