Truth is not relative

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul's written verse which you quoted does not say that a person will receive the truth by study. He said to study to get God's approval, which means to obey and study. A man may receive truth in his Bible studies, but only if he is led to truth by the Holy Ghost. That is rightly dividing!
I think the word translated here as "study" means more, "be quick, be diligent", like that, than to actually do a study of the Book. Of course we do study the Book. But in looking at the Greek that's what is written.

Actually, it's using exegesis that teaches me that "study" is not the best translation, at least in our generation.

Be diligent, be quick about it, to present yourself 'tested and approved' to God, a worker not ashamed, but correctly dividing the Word of Truth.

I believe that we allow the Holy Spirit to teach us. This is what He is, I think, teaches me, in the words He used to write this passage, English notwithstanding.

Much love!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Through councils.

Actually, the scripture has two basic applications in any given moment...1) that it is to be obeyed by the people to whom it is originally spoken; and, 2) that it is to be obeyed by the people reading it now in the 21st century (and before).

I know that I am not defying the Lord and have not defied the Lord in concerning the scripture at hand; not because it doesn't apply to me; but because I have physically gone to the other side of the United States on behalf of the gospel; and also may someday go even further when it comes to geographical location.

What it means is not that the individual is required to go into all the world; but that the church of Jesus Christ is to go into all the world...all of us collectively will eventually reach the world...and then shall the end come.
Paul said the Gospel had gone into all the world?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the word translated here as "study" means more, "be quick, be diligent", like that, than to actually do a study of the Book. Of course we do study the Book. But in looking at the Greek that's what is written.

Actually, it's using exegesis that teaches me that "study" is not the best translation, at least in our generation.

Be diligent, be quick about it, to present yourself 'tested and approved' to God, a worker not ashamed, but correctly dividing the Word of Truth.

I believe that we allow the Holy Spirit to teach us. This is what He is, I think, teaches me, in the words He used to write this passage, English notwithstanding.

Much love!
Yes fervent in business.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It basically is teaching that the prophecy of scripture is not interpreted privately, but publicly.

Not that the prophet himself was not to interpret his own prophecies; but that those who read the prophecy of scripture are to accept the public interpretation after all the intricacies of what it could mean in light of other scripture has been hashed out; and that we ought not to hold to an interpretation that has not been publicly hashed out in this manner. Because privately interpreted scripture can have its flaws. Two heads are better than one in determining the true meaning of what is written.
Actually, I think that verse in Peter is saying prophecies didn't originate in the prophet's understanding.

Much love!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
I hold that the meaning of study is not to be excluded from the interpretation...while diligence is definitely a factor in what was being conveyed by that scripture.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The known cosmos at that time...there were still frontiers that had not been reached because the Americas had not yet been discovered.
Just because the historical recordings aren't there doesn't mean that Paul's a liar. I'm not willing to underestimate the power of God.

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there is zero way to reconcile and it turns into a godless battle of egos.
Not true.

All disputes can be settled. Are you thinking that God is unable to teach the both of us? I think He can.

Without patience and love and understanding and forgiveness and gentleness and meekness and endurance it doesn't happen as well I think.

Much love!

Reactions: justbyfaith

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hold that the meaning of study is not to be excluded from the interpretation...while diligence is definitely a factor in what was being conveyed by that scripture.
I'd agree in the sense that this is one of the ways we work towards this happening, being approved of God. We study His Word, we seek His Spirit, we follow after Jesus, we imitate Paul, we trust in the Lord. And we do all of these diligently.

But I'll have to included that words have meanings, and I think we need to look to the meanings of those words. In this case, the word used there doesn't actually relate to "study" as we think of it today.

Personally, I don't have a dog in the fight, it's fine with me if it says this or that. It just happens to say this, but not that.

Much love!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Through councils.
Hi JBF,

Well, we agree on that historical Christian Church fact. A general consensus was reached by Church Councils......of which all Christians were held bound to. :rolleyes:

But in your statement you said "the internet provides a venue in which scripture can be discussed... so that a general consensus can be reached".

Does our "general consensus" TODAY cancel out the "general consensus" of those Church Councils? :cool:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd agree in the sense that this is one of the ways we work towards this happening, being approved of God. We study His Word, we seek His Spirit, we follow after Jesus, we imitate Paul, we trust in the Lord. And we do all of these diligently.

But I'll have to included that words have meanings, and I think we need to look to the meanings of those words. In this case, the word used there doesn't actually relate to "study" as we think of it today.

Personally, I don't have a dog in the fight, it's fine with me if it says this or that. It just happens to say this, but not that.

Much love!
Interestingly enough they only had the Hebrew Bible at that time the way I understand it?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, I think that verse in Peter is saying prophecies didn't originate in the prophet's understanding.

Much love!
I think the passage (2 Peter 1:20) has to be taken in context. In the next verse (2 Peter 2:1) Peter informs us that he is concerned with more than just the actual text of Scripture. He warns of “false teachers” who would teach “heresies”. Later, in 2:10, he describes the false teachers as “despising authority”. In 3:16, he tells us they “twist the scriptures to their own destruction.”

The context of Peter’s letter leaves no doubt that he was condemning the private interpretation of Scripture.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi JBF,

Well, we agree on that historical Christian Church fact. A general consensus was reached by Church Councils......of which all Christians were held bound to. :rolleyes:

But in your statement you said "the internet provides a venue in which scripture can be discussed... so that a general consensus can be reached".

Does our "general consensus" TODAY cancel out the "general consensus" of those Church Councils? :cool:

It is to be built upon what was shown clearly before.

However, if it can be shown scripturally that something that was reached before as a consensus was not bibllcal, those beliefs should be re-examined.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Willie,

Putting that command (Go into all the world) in context makes it clear he was talking to the eleven....not every Christian for eternity: 14 Afterward he appeared to the eleven themselves as they sat at table;.....15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world..."

Therefor only the eleven would have been "defying God" if they did not Go into all the world!!!! So NO, it would NOT seem obvious that we must be defying God if we are typing our posts from our home!

@justbyfaith is NOT defying God....;)

Bible Study Mary
Did eleven men actually manage to go into all the world? I suspect that they could not have lived long enough. We even have a story of the Ethiopian eunuch that probably was the one who took the gospel into that part of the world.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What exactly are we discussing here about the gospel going into all of the world would what went into messo America be an example of this?