Two Witnesses Will Be Protected In Jerusalem For The 1260 Days Of The Great Tribulation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

guysmith

Nov 12, 2007
Miami, FL
Revelation 11:3 And I will appoint my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth.” 4 They are “the two olive trees” and the two lampstands, and “they stand before the Lord of the earth.” 5 If anyone tries to harm them, fire comes from their mouths and devours their enemies. This is how anyone who wants to harm them must die. 6 They have power to shut up the heavens so that it will not rain during the time they are prophesying; and they have power to turn the waters into blood and to strike the earth with every kind of plague as often as they want.
7 Now when they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up from the Abyss will attack them, and overpower and kill them. 8 Their bodies will lie in the public square of the great city—which is figuratively called Sodom and Egypt—where also their Lord was crucified.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Yes, at least for 1260 days, they'll be protected, which is related to the Elijah's ministry.

But the "two candlesticks" (which means two Churches) will make a stand with them also. The rest will be deceived, blinded, and will bow to false messiah in place of Jesus Christ. By false messiah's show of miracles and great signs and wonders, the deceived will belief that false one is our Lord Jesus Himself. The false pastors will be proclaim that false messiah as Jesus Christ to their deceived flocks.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Revelation 11:3 And I will appoint my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth.”...

You have miss-quoted the text, the word "for" is not in the Greek text.
Rev 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

teleiosis

Aug 25, 2010
The two candlesticks, are not two churches. There is nothing in the Bible about two Churches. Furthermore, "candlestick" is not what a lampstand was in Hebrew times. The Jews of Jesus' time did not burn candles made of wax with a wick. They burned oil from some resevoir channeled upward by the capillary action of fluids through a tube to the opening sufficiently away from the resevoir so the flame would not ignite the rest of the oil.

In Zechariah 4, there is one bowl of oil being supplied by two olive trees. The olive trees are said in verse 14 as a means of final explanation to be two people who serve the Lord. The lampstand in Zechariah 4 has seven "channels" coming up from the bowl, which make for the seven flames, or lights Zechariah sees.

Directions for making the Hebrew lampstand in the Temple are spelled out in Exodus 25:31-39.
Those instructions are described as being carried out in Exodus 37:17-24.
The lampstand would have three arms coming off the central stem, which would have a linear tray and several tubes coming off of that which would then be lit.

When Solomon built the first Temple, ten lampstands were made, and five put on each side of the inner room, north and south sides respectively.
In the second Temple and the Herodian Temple, there was only one lampstand.

Revelation 11:4 is the only place where two lampstands are described. Being synonymous with the olive trees that supply the oil for the lamps, I have to wonder if the distinction we would make between the bowl and the "lamps" is being blurred, and because Zecariah's vision was a Heavenly vision, just how accurate Revelation 11:4 is. The question I have is whether we make too much of this equation where the olive trees which supply the oil are also described as the lampstands to say these two people actually represent two different lamps as we are want to do being technically minded, or whether by supplying the lampstand as shown in Zechariah, the essential source for the light is not counted as parts of the lampstand so as to be called that in the plural.

We are dealing with a non-scientific culture when we read the Bible, and we have to keep in mind that they were not as specific as we would be. For instance, the "hand" would include the wrist, and part of the lower forearm in their culture with no distinction like we would impose. Thus the nails the Romans used to crucify Jesus could be inserted just above the wrist between the two forearm bones and they would still call that the hand. Such a placement would support the weight of the entire body, while piercing the palm would only result in tearing the hand up and the body would drop from such a pinning.

Second point:

The time these Two Witnesses prophesize is 1260 days. The "for" is an addition in translation which is allowed, and doesn't change the meaning of the text.

However, it is not said to be the time of the Great Tribulation. In the Olivet Discourse of Matthew 24, Jesus said the Great Tribulation began at the (midpoint) abomination and that that time was shortened. Having it run the whole of the rest of the one 'seven' is not justified by the text, but I am continually amazed how many hoops some people will jump through in order to "stretch it out" that long. Ergo: the Great Tribulation is not 1260 days long.

The Great Tribulation ends when the Day of the Lord begins with the sun/moon/star event of Mt 24:29. Since no one knows when that Day arrives, no one can say just how long the Great Tribulation will last. I think it is the test which will come upon the whole world, from which God will tereo ek - watch out - for the Elect, who will not be fooled into worshipping the abomination (talking image of the anti-Christ erected by the false prophet in front of the curtain in the Temple which remains to be built) but who will almost nearly be wiped out by the dual effects of the Great Tribulation: martyrdom or starvation. Not all the Elect will die during the Great Tribulation as Paul says that some will be lifted up (the rapture) on the Day of the Lord.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
The two candlesticks, are not two churches. There is nothing in the Bible about two Churches.

Oops! You seem to have missed this verse.
Rev 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

How many of the seven churches was Christ happy with?

...Second point:

The time these Two Witnesses prophesize is 1260 days. The "for" is an addition in translation which is allowed, and doesn't change the meaning of the text.

I believe this is telling those that understand the title of a message about "1260." Be aware of the other places in Scripture where you can find reference to 1260 days, or 1,260 years, or 3 1/2 years, or days.

Since no one knows when that Day arrives, ...

I expect you are refering to this verse:
Mat 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

But if you look at the word know you might discover that it referes to "intuitive knowledge." Humans do not "intuitively" know the date BUT we can study and learn the date.
Mar 13:23 But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Rev 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

I believe this is telling those that understand the title of a message about "1260." Be aware of the other places in Scripture where you can find reference to 1260 days, or 1,260 years, or 3 1/2 years, or days.

Mat 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

But if you look at the word know you might discover that it referes to "intuitive knowledge." Humans do not "intuitively" know the date BUT we can study and learn the date.

teleiosis doesn't understand all that; he's wrapped up 'rapture' doctrines.

teleiosis

Aug 25, 2010

Cute, but not quite right. There are "overcomers" from all seven Church types. Indeed, if the seven Churches of Revelation 2-3 represent the progression of various Church types in the Church Age, then what you're saying in essence, is that many people who had faith are not going to make it to Heaven. I disagree. There will be people from every Church type in Heaven. What Church type are you in? I ask because all seven Church types were not only in existence side-by-side in John's time, they're still around in their various forms. (This does not eliminate the observation that in various centuries, one type was the predominant type.)

My observation that the other vision of the olive trees have a lampstand, and the historical usage of lampstands in the Temple, along with the unscientific nature of the culture which wrote the Bible allows that they can equate the Olive Trees that supply the oil for the Lampstand to being part of the Lampstand and so be two in number. I am not going to get stuck on the literal change in number and insist now that there are only two Churches. If so, as some of you would insist, who are they as definitively written in Scripture? (And no, I don't mean your speculation about just the two with whom Jesus was pleased.)

I believe this is telling those that understand the title of a message about "1260."
What secret meaning are you assigning to 1260 for your understanding?
It's not that hard... it's a distinct period of time.

Be aware of the other places in Scripture where you can find reference to 1260 days, or 1,260 years, or 3 1/2 years, or days.
Besides the five times this half of the one 'seven' is mentioned in Revelation or the reference in Daniel 12, which all go back to the one 'seven' being split in half in Daniel 9:27? Of course I'm aware of them.

Mark 13:23 does not invalidate that no one knows when the date, and it can't be calculated either. I can hazard a guess that it comes at some point after the midpoint abomination: how long can you go without using money to acquire goods and services you need to sustain your life while being actively hunted by the abomination worshippers?

Still, no one can "learn" the date. No one can know the Day. What part of Jesus' words didn't you understand? Not even He knows the Day, and He's a whole lot wiser than you or I.

teleiosis

Aug 25, 2010
teleiosis doesn't understand all that; he's wrapped up 'rapture' doctrines.
Nonsense. My understanding isn't limited by what you reject in your understanding.

Paul said to encourage each other with the knowledge that we will not all die before we are gathered up.
Jesus said the Elect who were still alive after enduring the Great Tribulation, because not all of them would die or be martyred, would be gathered up from the four corners of the Earth when the Day of the Lord comes.

You reject those words... Good thing we're saved by faith and not by our eschatology.

JarBreaker

Apr 6, 2010
You have miss-quoted the text, the word "for" is not in the Greek text.
Rev 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

this can be a very crucial distinction --- using "for such and such time" kind of starts the clock and makes it seem a continual thing

taking heed to an added word makes us color our interpretation and we do not know if those 1,260 days are successive or broken up into however many blocks or sections of days that He wishes

I feel he uses verses like this to give an ambiguous phrase in order that noone can start date-setting, whenever they would recognize that the 2 witnesses have come on the scene

JarBreaker

Apr 6, 2010

I have seen people want to place the 7 assemblies as areas on the map, and as time periods.

Let me place another choice among those.

The 7 assemblies are a personal measure of your relationship. Only One searches the hearts and kidneys and we do not want to be part of those He calls lukewarm, to be vomited out of His mouth.

There is something in Ezekiel that seems to be speaking of the tribulation period ... "those far off will be taken by the pestilence, those near will be taken by the sword"

tgwprophet

Jul 9, 2011
Lehigh Acres, Florida
"Two Witnesses Will Be Protected In Jerusalem For The 1260 Days Of The Great Tribulation" --- Wow, what an error!

Where did that idea come from? I hope what I have written below allows clarification in this matter..
The two witnesses will do world travel ending in israel but not limited to a single visitation to Israel. Their job is not to awaken only the Jews up but rather all the world. Jesus is not the Messiah for only the Jews bt for all the people of the world willing to accept him. The churches will not protect them, infact the churches will deny them and they already are even before the time of thier power. They will prophecy 1,260 days. they are allowed to be their own protection with strenght much much greater than the churches. Have you not read this? God will endow them with power carte blanc and they need answer to no church, but if any church "was" protecting them... then the two witnesses would be required to answeer to those churches. The witnesses are limited only by a pre-determined time span, the responce they must do to those that will harm them and their own imagination. Because thier power within these guidelines are carte blanc GRACE (JESUS) is not disturbed and remains intact.

I see the mistake given that because they are referred to as the two candlesticks and olive trees that they are of the 7 churches but this is a mistake as they are not of the 7 and nowhere in scripture does it state they are. The 7 remain together and intact and are not of the two candlestick and 2 olive trees. The 7 have their place and the 2 have their place its simple as that. I am guessing that since one links them as candlesticks and olive trees to the candlesticks and olive trees of the 7 that it is figured 2 churches will protect them? No way! They are not of the 7 nor is the 7 of them! The 7 are Jewish and the 2 are Christains. the 7 are Jewish and the 2 are gentiles. The 2 are physical, spirutal and written proof of the Christain gentiles that accepted Jesus as thier Lord and Saviour being graphted unto the vine of the Jews. A tenth of the city is destroyed because the Jews rejected the 2 witnesses, and the 2 witnesses are rejected (at the very least in part) because they are not Jewish.

Is the 1,260 days successive? OF course they are. Their power will not be turned on and off like a switch, if that were the case then anyone desiring to kill them would merely have to know when their power was turnef off. Furthermore, consider it would mean they were being led by God and so the plagues would not be of their imagination but of God's. This also means that since God or Jesus is guiding them that God is giving Grace through Jesus on one hand while attacking with the other. God is not ambigious, the power of the two witnesses are given unto them allowing them to exercise their authority as they see fit without hinderance. It is in this manner Grace remains intact allowing its mercy and foregiveness carte blanc without hinderance of the 2 witnesses as well. The two witnesses can infact attack person of the earth s they so choose yet cannot sentence anyone to hell.