Understanding and Believing the Gospel

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course it is, "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (which is the Gospel) Romans 10:17.
So then according to your rewording of Galatians 3:2 faith comes by works of the law (something we do). I think you are misreading Paul.

Last edited:

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then according to your rewording of Galatians 3:2 faith comes by works of the law (something we do). I think you are misreading Paul.
I don't think that believing is a work of the law. It is more of an ascension to a truth. In Galatians 3:2 Paul said that receiving the Spirit is NOT a work of the law.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Understanding and Believing the Gospel​

I think those who wrote in this thread have no idea what they are talking about!

This whole matter is circumscribed in 2 Peter 1:21 which reads:

For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.

To God Be The Glory

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think that believing is a work of the law. It is more of an ascension to a truth. In Galatians 3:2 Paul said that receiving the Spirit is NOT a work of the law.
I know believing is not a work of the law; however, it is indeed something that we do but it is not a work of the law. But you were the one who inserted the parenthesis making something that we do a work of the law and believing is something that we do. That is a common mistake. It is the mistake so many make when they claim that baptism is a work since it is something that we do and therefore cannot be any part in receiving salvation. Baptism is indeed something that we do but it is not a work of the law.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one can understand and believe the Gospel without the Holy Spirit. This can cause a problem on Christian Forums. The reason is that not everyone on the Forum is a born-again believer. If you have never called on Christ to save you, Romans 10:13, then chances are that you are a lost unbeliever. A Christian is one that is totally and completely dependent upon the saving work of Jesus Christ for their salvation. The Holy Spirit is only given to those that meet this criteria. Paul said, "This only would I learn of you, did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law (what you do) or by the hearing of faith" (hearing and believing the Gospel) Galatians 3:2.
You have that backward. One first hears the word; he then understands the word; he then believes in God. He then receives the Holy Spirit in regeneration. It is the one who hears, understands and then believes that is born again. Faith comes before being born again, not after. That is precisely what Galatians 3:2 says. That is what Ephesians 2:8 says. That is what Colossians 2:11-13 says. That is what Acts 2:38 says. And so many more as well.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have that backward. One first hears the word; he then understands the word; he then believes in God. He then receives the Holy Spirit in regeneration. It is the one who hears, understands and then believes that is born again. Faith comes before being born again, not after. That is precisely what Galatians 3:2 says. That is what Ephesians 2:8 says. That is what Colossians 2:11-13 says. That is what Acts 2:38 says. And so many more as well.
I am pretty sure that is what I said.

On the day of Pentecost they heard Peter's Gospel, they believed his Gospel and were given the Holy Spirit, Acts Chapter 2. However, it was the Holy Spirit that convicted them of their need for Christ. I believe that the Holy Spirit is present in all of it.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am pretty sure that is what I said.

On the day of Pentecost they heard Peter's Gospel, they believed his Gospel and were given the Holy Spirit, Acts Chapter 2. However, it was the Holy Spirit that convicted them of their need for Christ. I believe that the Holy Spirit is present in all of it.
I believe that as well; the Holy Spirit is involved before during and after regeneration. The question is how the Holy Spirit is involved before regeneration. I believe except in very isolated cases, the Holy Spirit is involved through the inspiration of the written word of God, through which we either read directly or are taught by one who has.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that as well; the Holy Spirit is involved before during and after regeneration. The question is how the Holy Spirit is involved before regeneration. I believe except in very isolated cases, the Holy Spirit is involved through the inspiration of the written word of God, through which we either read directly or are taught by one who has.
Most come to Christ through the preaching of the Gospel. On the day of Pentecost the Holy Spirit was present when Peter preached the Gospel. Paul said, "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (which is the Gospel) Romans 10:17.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most come to Christ through the preaching of the Gospel. On the day of Pentecost the Holy Spirit was present when Peter preached the Gospel. Paul said, "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (which is the Gospel) Romans 10:17.
You keep speaking about Pentecost. Do you even know why it happened?

To God Be The Glory

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know believing is not a work of the law; however, it is indeed something that we do but it is not a work of the law. But you were the one who inserted the parenthesis making something that we do a work of the law and believing is something that we do. That is a common mistake. It is the mistake so many make when they claim that baptism is a work since it is something that we do and therefore cannot be any part in receiving salvation. Baptism is indeed something that we do but it is not a work of the law.
There is really nothing that we can do to save ourselves. Baptism is a work of the law, any religious thing that we do is a work of the law. Paul said, "Therefore by the deeds of the law (what we do) there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" Romans 3:20.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You keep speaking about Pentecost. Do you even know why it happened?

To God Be The Glory
Yes, God brought the Gospel into the world in the power of the Holy Spirit, Acts 2:11. 8,000 Jews heard and believed and received the holy Spirit, Acts 2:41 also Acts 4:4.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is really nothing that we can do to save ourselves. Baptism is a work of the law, any religious thing that we do is a work of the law. Paul said, "Therefore by the deeds of the law (what we do) there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" Romans 3:20.
No, baptism is not a work of the law. The work of the law is laid down in the Old Testament. You will not find it listed there anywhere. Now baptism is a work of the gospel. And you had better obey it. Paul, in 2 Thessalonians 1:8 and Peter in 1 Peter 4:17 tells us the bad news of disobeying the gospel.

There are lots of what we do that simply are not works of the law. Eating is not a work of the law. Eating the right things in the right way is a work of the law. Walking is not a work of the law. Walking too far on the wrong days is a work of the law. Etc., etc.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scripture says what the scripture says. If you don't like it write your own Bible. We are saved by responding to the Gospel. No response, no salvation.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scripture says what the scripture says. If you don't like it write your own Bible. We are saved by responding to the Gospel. No response, no salvation.
Gal 3:2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?

Nothing in that verse about "something we do". I think it is you who doesn't like it and is writing your own Bible.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gal 3:2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?

Nothing in that verse about "something we do". I think it is you who doesn't like it and is writing your own Bible.
Maybe you can't read. Nothing in that verse about what we do? "Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?" Like the 8,000 Jews on the day of Pentecost they heard the Gospel, they believed the Gospel and they were saved. They responded to the Peter's Gospel.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you believe that people are the king makers??

The only ones who will respond to the Gospel are those whom God elected in eternity past before the foundation of the world. Were you present then?

Scripture declares:
There's none righteous no, not one. There's NONE that seeks after God.

Jesus said "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you."

And there are more like verses but the two should suffice. I'm sure you got the gist.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you believe that people are the king makers??

The only ones who will respond to the Gospel are those whom God elected in eternity past before the foundation of the world. Were you present then?

Scripture declares:
There's none righteous no, not one. There's NONE that seeks after God.

Jesus said "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you."

And there are more like verses but the two should suffice. I'm sure you got the gist.

To God Be The Glory
If God predestinated people to salvation before the foundation of the world, then who needs Jesus Christ and his Gospel? Your Calvinist doctrine is anti-Gospel and anti-Christ. There is no scripture that says God predestinated any one to heaven or to hell. God chose all of humanity in Jesus Christ, not just some. Salvation has been provided for everyone, Hebrews 2:9.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God predestinated people to salvation before the foundation of the world, then who needs Jesus Christ and his Gospel? Your Calvinist doctrine is anti-Gospel and anti-Christ. There is no scripture that says God predestinated any one to heaven or to hell. God chose all of humanity in Jesus Christ, not just some. Salvation has been provided for everyone, Hebrews 2:9.
True you will not find words stating that God predestinated people to hell, but you will find that God DID predestinated people to heaven.

Read and weep:

Ephesians 1: 4-6; 11-12

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.
2 Corinthians 5:8

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True you will not find words stating that God predestinated people to hell, but you will find that God DID predestinated people to heaven.

Read and weep:

Ephesians 1: 4-6; 11-12

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.
2 Corinthians 5:8

To God Be The Glory
Ephesians 1:4-6 is all of humanity. Because, "God so loved the world" John 3:16. God is no respecter of anyone's person, Acts 10:34. You are in serious trouble because you don't believe the Gospel.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 1:4-6 is all of humanity. Because, "God so loved the world" John 3:16. God is no respecter of anyone's person, Acts 10:34. You are in serious trouble because you don't believe the Gospel.
I believe you have NOT gotten the gist of Ephesians 1:4-6, because you must first define the word "us" and I promise you it doesn't say "all of humanity." If it did then rightly so there will no one be put in hell, yet the Bible declares that hell will heavily be populated!!

Likewise, you must qualify the word "whosoever" in John 3:16!! These are they whose sins that Jesus paid for in Matthew 1:21

John 3:16 is the most quoted verse in the world yet also the most misunderstood!!

Man's audacity is that they want to have a part in their salvation which is God's alone.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited: