Unitarianism vs Trinitarianism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This article discusses Unitarianism and Trinitarianism. This subject seems to be the main point of debate and discussion on this forum. Is Jesus God? Or merely "a god"? (Unitarian vs Trinitarian) - Berean Patriot
Home
Faith Articles
Is Jesus God? Or merely “a god”? (Unitarian vs Trinitarian)
Is Jesus God? Or merely “a god”? (Unitarian vs Trinitarian)
Berean Patriot February 22, 2018 Faith Articles 5 Comments
Is Jesus God? Or is he merely “a god”? Yeah, that’s a big topic but we’re going to take a stab at it today. And by today, I mean the last few weeks/months while I was researching it.

The most commonly encountered group that believes Jesus isn’t God (capital “G”) are the Jehovah’s Witnesses. However, the belief is technically known as “Unitarianism” and it’s been around since before Jesus died (the Jews). By contrast, the Trinity doctrine teaches that there is One God, who exists in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. (And don’t worry, I’ve got a great analogy later that’ll help it make perfect sense.)

This article is long, but you can use it as a reference instead of reading it straight through. Toward that end, I have organized it like a reference book. The table of contents below is clickable and will take you to the associated parts of the article.

Contents show

Last edited:

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
This article discusses Unitarianism and Trinitarianism. This subject seems to be the main point of debate and discussion on this forum. Is Jesus God? Or merely "a god"? (Unitarian vs Trinitarian) - Berean Patriot

I hope you understand that the author’s comments on - his presentation of - unitarianism is incomplete and inadequate.

People are lazy. The issue I have with the article is that many non-unitarians who read it will come away thinking that it is a presentation of what unitarianism teaches. Unitarianism is broader, more variable, than what the author presented.

I’m sure you’ll recall that I’ve commented elsewhere that I’m opposed to some forms of unitarianism.

P.S.

If you’re really interested in learning about unitarianism, a number of excellent books have been written on the subject. I’ll provide some recommendations upon request. How serious are you about it?

Last edited:
Reactions: APAK

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I've been told that I am going to Hell because of Romans 10:9. However I do believe God raised Jesus from the dead.

It’s so common for trinitarians to tell me that I’m going to hell because I’m a Jewish monotheist and don’t believe in “the deity of Christ”* that it barely registers anymore.

My advice to you. Don’t let it upset you. Christ (himself a unitarian) is the one who will decide.

* Many unitarians believe in “the deity of Christ”.

Reactions: Wrangler and RLT63

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope you understand that the author’s comments on - his presentation of - unitarianism is incomplete and inadequate.

People are lazy. The issue I have with the article is that many non-unitarians who read it will come away thinking that it is a presentation of what unitarianism teaches. Unitarianism is broader, more variable, than what the author presented.

I’m sure you’ll recall that I’ve commented elsewhere that I’m opposed to some forms of unitarianism.

P.S.

If you’re really interested in learning about unitarianism, a number of excellent books have been written on the subject. I’ll provide some recommendations upon request. How serious are you about it?
It is an incomplete presentation of Trinitarianism as well. You can't learn everything about a subject from one article and I don't agree with everything the author said. Feel free to comment and post other articles to present your view.

Reactions: Matthias

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s so common for trinitarians to tell me that I’m going to hell because I’m a Jewish monotheist and don’t believe in “the deity of Christ”* that it barely registers anymore.

My advice to you. Don’t let it upset you. Christ (himself a unitarian) is the one who will decide.

* Many unitarians believe in “the deity of Christ”.
I think we have more in common than we know and I leave judgement to God.

Reactions: Matthias

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another subject that has come up is Pentecostal Oneness, a different form of Unitarianism. (I don't know if they consider themselves Unitarians, but they believe Jesus is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.)
Modalistic Monarchianism, also known as Modalism or Oneness Christology, is a Christian theology upholding the oneness of God as well as the divinity of Jesus; as a form of Monarchianism, it stands in contrast with Trinitarianism. Modalistic Monarchianism considers God to be one while working through or existing as the different "modes" or "manifestations" of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, without limiting his modes or manifestations.[1][2]

In this view, all the godhead is understood to have dwelt in Jesus from the incarnation, who they understand to be a manifestation of Yahweh in the Old Testament. The terms "Father" and "Son" are then used to describe the distinction between the transcendence of God and the incarnation (God in immanence).[3] Lastly, since God is a spirit, it is held that the Holy Spirit should not be understood as a separate entity but rather to describe God in action.

Modalistic Monarchianism is closely related to Sabellianism and Patripassianism, two ancient theologies condemned as heresy in the Great Church and successive state church of the Roman Empire.[4][5]

Modalistic Monarchianism - Wikipedia

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the Unitarian viewpoint
What’s the difference between Trinitarian v Unitarian? – First Unitarian Universalist Church of Austin

https://www.encyclopedia.com/religi...transcripts-and-maps/christianity-unitarianis

Biblical unitarianism - Wikipedia
Biblical unitarianism[1] (also capitalized as biblical Unitarianism,[2][3] BU[4]) encompasses the key doctrines of nontrinitarian Christians who affirm the Bible as their sole authority, and from it base their beliefs that God the Father is one singular being,[1] and that Jesus Christ is God's son but not divine.[1] The term "biblical Unitarianism" is connected first with Robert Spears and Samuel Sharpe of the Christian Life magazine in the 1880s. It is a neologism (or retronym) that gained increasing currency in nontrinitarian literature during the 20th century as the Unitarian churches moved away from mainstream church traditions and, in some instances in the United States, towards merger with Universalism. It has been used since the late 19th century by conservative Christian Unitarians, and sometimes by historians, to refer to scripture-fundamentalist Unitarians of the 16th–18th centuries.

A few denominations use this term to describe themselves, clarifying the distinction between them and those churches which, from the late 19th century, evolved into modern British Unitarianism and, primarily in the United States, Unitarian Universalism.[1]

The history of Unitarianism was as a "scripturally oriented movement" which denied the Trinity[5] and held various understandings of Jesus. Over time, however—specifically, in the mid-19th century—some proponents of Unitarianism moved away from a belief in the necessity of the Bible as the source of religious truth.[5] The nomenclature "biblical" in "biblical Unitarianism" is to identify the groups which did not make such a move.[1]

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Early Trinitarian Quotes
Some people say the Trinity was not mentioned before the 4th
Century until after the time of the Council of Nicea (325). This council “was called by Emperor Constantine to deal with the error of Arianism [see page 45] which was threatening the unity of the Christian Church.”

The following quotes show that the doctrine of the Trinity was indeed alive-and-well before the Council of Nicea:

Polycarp (70-155/160). Bishop of Smyrna. Disciple of John the Apostle.

“O Lord God almighty . . . I bless you and glorify you through the eternal and heavenly high priest Jesus Christ, your beloved Son, through whom be glory to you, with Him and the Holy Spirit, both now and forever” (n. 14, ed. Funk; PG 5.1040).

Justin Martyr (100?-165?). He was a Christian apologist and martyr.

“For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Savior Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water” (First Apol., LXI).

Ignatius of Antioch (died 98/117). Bishop of Antioch. He wrote much in defense of Christianity.

“In Christ Jesus our Lord, by whom and with whom be glory and power to the Father with the Holy Spirit for ever” (n. 7; PG 5.988).
“We have also as a Physician the Lord our God Jesus the Christ the only-begotten Son and Word, before time began, but who afterwards became also man, of Mary the virgin. For ‘the Word was made flesh.’ Being incorporeal, He was in the body; being impassible, He was in a passable body; being immortal, He was in a mortal body; being life, He became subject to corruption, that He might free our souls from death and corruption, and heal them, and might restore them to health, when they were diseased with ungodliness and wicked lusts.” (Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson, eds., The ante-Nicene Fathers, Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1975 rpt., Vol. 1, p. 52, Ephesians 7.)

Irenaeus (115-190). As a boy he listened to Polycarp, the disciple of John. He became Bishop of Lyons.

“The Church, though dispersed throughout the whole world, even to the ends of the earth, has received from the apostles and their disciples this faith: . . . one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are in them; and in one Christ Jesus, the Son of God, who became incarnate for our salvation; and in the Holy Spirit, who proclaimed through the prophets the dispensations of God, and the advents, and the birth from a virgin, and the passion, and the resurrection from the dead, and the ascension into heaven in the flesh of the beloved Christ Jesus, our Lord, and His manifestation from heaven in the glory of the Father ‘to gather all things in one,’ and to raise up anew all flesh of the whole human race, in order that to Christ Jesus, our Lord, and God, and Savior, and King, according to the will of the invisible Father, ‘every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth, and that every tongue should confess; to him, and that He should execute just judgment towards all . . . ‘” (Against Heresies X.l)

Tertullian (160-215). African apologist and theologian. He wrote much in defense of Christianity.

“We define that there are two, the Father and the Son, and three with the Holy Spirit, and this number is made by the pattern of salvation . . . [which] brings about unity in trinity, interrelating the three, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They are three, not in dignity, but in degree, not in substance but in form, not in power but in kind. They are of one substance and power, because there is one God from whom these degrees, forms and kinds devolve in the name of Father, Son and Holy Spirit.” (Adv. Prax. 23; PL 2.156-7).

Origen (185-254). Alexandrian theologian. Defended Christianity and wrote much about Christianity.

“If anyone would say that the Word of God or the Wisdom of God had a beginning, let him beware lest he direct his impiety rather against the unbegotten Father, since he denies that he was always Father, and that he has always begotten the Word, and that he always had wisdom in all previous times or ages or whatever can be imagined in priority . . . There can be no more ancient title of almighty God than that of Father, and it is through the Son that he is Father” (De Princ. 1.2.; PG 11.132).

“For if [the Holy Spirit were not eternally as He is, and had received knowledge at some time and then became the Holy Spirit] this were the case, the Holy Spirit would never be reckoned in the unity of the Trinity, i.e., along with the unchangeable Father and His Son, unless He had always been the Holy Spirit.” (Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson, eds., The Ante-Nicene Fathers, Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1975 rpt., Vol. 4, p. 253, de Principiis, 1.111.4)

“Moreover, nothing in the Trinity can be called greater or less, since the fountain of divinity alone contains all things by His word and reason, and by the Spirit of His mouth sanctifies all things which are worthy of sanctification . . . ” (Roberts and Donaldson, Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. 4, p. 255, de Principii., I. iii. 7).

Conclusion
If, as the anti-Trinitarians maintain, the Trinity is not a biblical doctrine and was never taught until the council of Nicea in 325, then why do these quotes exist? The answer is simple: the Trinity is a biblical doctrine, and it was taught before the council of Nicea in 325 A.D.

Part of the reason that the Trinity doctrine was not “officially” taught until the time of the Council of Nicea is that Christianity was illegal until shortly before the council. It wasn’t really possible for official Christian groups to meet and discuss doctrine. For the most part, they were fearful of making public pronouncements concerning their faith.

Additionally, if a group had attacked the person of Adam, the early church would have responded with an official doctrine of who Adam was. As it was, the person of Christ was attacked. When the Church defended the deity of Christ, the doctrine of the Trinity was further defined.

The early church believed in the Trinity as is evidenced by the quotes above, and it wasn’t necessary to really make them official. It wasn’t until errors started to creep in that councils began to meet to discuss the Trinity as well as other doctrines that came under fire.

Reactions: marks

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Unitarianism vs. trinitarianism.

Trinitarians generally aren’t shy about acknowledging the complexity of trinitarianism. One of the common “knocks” against unitarianism is it’s simplicity. (The article in post #1 is a fine example of this.)

As I thought about this I remembered my brief time spent in Africa, and the man with a big smile on his face who approached me following a lecture I had delivered, telling me that I have a beautiful faith … a faith which couldn’t possibly be true because it’s too simple. The man, whose name I never knew, made a lasting impression on me.

The simplicity that is in Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ himself is unitarian. That doesn’t matter to most folks; it’s decisive for me.

“But I am afraid that somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve in his craftiness, so your minds might be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.”

(2 Corinthians 11:3, WEB)

Reactions: Wrangler

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Early Trinitarian Quotes
Century until after the time of the Council of Nicea (325). This council “was called by Emperor Constantine to deal with the error of Arianism [see page 45] which was threatening the unity of the Christian Church.”

The following quotes show that the doctrine of the Trinity was indeed alive-and-well before the Council of Nicea:

“O Lord God almighty . . . I bless you and glorify you through the eternal and heavenly high priest Jesus Christ, your beloved Son, through whom be glory to you, with Him and the Holy Spirit, both now and forever” (n. 14, ed. Funk; PG 5.1040).

“For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Savior Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water” (First Apol., LXI).

Ignatius of Antioch (died 98/117). Bishop of Antioch. He wrote much in defense of Christianity.

“In Christ Jesus our Lord, by whom and with whom be glory and power to the Father with the Holy Spirit for ever” (n. 7; PG 5.988).
“We have also as a Physician the Lord our God Jesus the Christ the only-begotten Son and Word, before time began, but who afterwards became also man, of Mary the virgin. For ‘the Word was made flesh.’ Being incorporeal, He was in the body; being impassible, He was in a passable body; being immortal, He was in a mortal body; being life, He became subject to corruption, that He might free our souls from death and corruption, and heal them, and might restore them to health, when they were diseased with ungodliness and wicked lusts.” (Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson, eds., The ante-Nicene Fathers, Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1975 rpt., Vol. 1, p. 52, Ephesians 7.)

Irenaeus (115-190). As a boy he listened to Polycarp, the disciple of John. He became Bishop of Lyons.

“The Church, though dispersed throughout the whole world, even to the ends of the earth, has received from the apostles and their disciples this faith: . . . one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are in them; and in one Christ Jesus, the Son of God, who became incarnate for our salvation; and in the Holy Spirit, who proclaimed through the prophets the dispensations of God, and the advents, and the birth from a virgin, and the passion, and the resurrection from the dead, and the ascension into heaven in the flesh of the beloved Christ Jesus, our Lord, and His manifestation from heaven in the glory of the Father ‘to gather all things in one,’ and to raise up anew all flesh of the whole human race, in order that to Christ Jesus, our Lord, and God, and Savior, and King, according to the will of the invisible Father, ‘every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth, and that every tongue should confess; to him, and that He should execute just judgment towards all . . . ‘” (Against Heresies X.l)

Tertullian (160-215). African apologist and theologian. He wrote much in defense of Christianity.

“We define that there are two, the Father and the Son, and three with the Holy Spirit, and this number is made by the pattern of salvation . . . [which] brings about unity in trinity, interrelating the three, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They are three, not in dignity, but in degree, not in substance but in form, not in power but in kind. They are of one substance and power, because there is one God from whom these degrees, forms and kinds devolve in the name of Father, Son and Holy Spirit.” (Adv. Prax. 23; PL 2.156-7).

Origen (185-254). Alexandrian theologian. Defended Christianity and wrote much about Christianity.

“If anyone would say that the Word of God or the Wisdom of God had a beginning, let him beware lest he direct his impiety rather against the unbegotten Father, since he denies that he was always Father, and that he has always begotten the Word, and that he always had wisdom in all previous times or ages or whatever can be imagined in priority . . . There can be no more ancient title of almighty God than that of Father, and it is through the Son that he is Father” (De Princ. 1.2.; PG 11.132).

“For if [the Holy Spirit were not eternally as He is, and had received knowledge at some time and then became the Holy Spirit] this were the case, the Holy Spirit would never be reckoned in the unity of the Trinity, i.e., along with the unchangeable Father and His Son, unless He had always been the Holy Spirit.” (Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson, eds., The Ante-Nicene Fathers, Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1975 rpt., Vol. 4, p. 253, de Principiis, 1.111.4)

“Moreover, nothing in the Trinity can be called greater or less, since the fountain of divinity alone contains all things by His word and reason, and by the Spirit of His mouth sanctifies all things which are worthy of sanctification . . . ” (Roberts and Donaldson, Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. 4, p. 255, de Principii., I. iii. 7).

Conclusion
If, as the anti-Trinitarians maintain, the Trinity is not a biblical doctrine and was never taught until the council of Nicea in 325, then why do these quotes exist? The answer is simple: the Trinity is a biblical doctrine, and it was taught before the council of Nicea in 325 A.D.

Part of the reason that the Trinity doctrine was not “officially” taught until the time of the Council of Nicea is that Christianity was illegal until shortly before the council. It wasn’t really possible for official Christian groups to meet and discuss doctrine. For the most part, they were fearful of making public pronouncements concerning their faith.

Additionally, if a group had attacked the person of Adam, the early church would have responded with an official doctrine of who Adam was. As it was, the person of Christ was attacked. When the Church defended the deity of Christ, the doctrine of the Trinity was further defined.

The early church believed in the Trinity as is evidenced by the quotes above, and it wasn’t necessary to really make them official. It wasn’t until errors started to creep in that councils began to meet to discuss the Trinity as well as other doctrines that came under fire.

This is the type of post which really appeals to me.

When we read the writings of the early Church Fathers - which is something you know I’ve been advocating for the past few months on the forum (and for several decades before becoming a member of this forum) - we find that what they actually believed isn’t anything like the doctrine of the Trinity.

I’ve focused my extra-biblical reading on Tertullian for the past two months or so. He would make a 21st century trinitarian scream and throw rocks. I’ll locate and post a few excerpts in this thread to illustrate the point, if that would be of interest to you.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The early church believed in the Trinity as is evidenced by the quotes above, and it wasn’t necessary to really make them official.
Here's how to keep it very simple:

1. The New Testament speaks of "God the Father" repeatedly

2. The New Testament calls Jesus "God manifest in the flesh" and He called Himself "I AM" (the name of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob). "Before Abraham was I AM".

3. Jesus taught us that the Holy Spirit is God who can be blasphemed.

Therefore there are three divine persons who are all God, yet God is one (1 John 5:7 KJB). How can that be? Because this is "the Mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ".

There are hundreds of things which ordinary human beings cannot explain, but simply take them on faith. So why is this such a problem? Because Satan wants to make sure that people reject the deity of Christ and the Trinity and end up in Hell -- the Lake of Fire.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Early Trinitarian Quotes

Conclusion

“It is impossible to document what we now call orthodoxy in the first two centuries of Christianity; heresy often appears more prominently, so much so that orthodoxy looks like a reaction to it. But we can document orthodoxy for all the centuries since then - in other words, for close to seventeen centuries of the church’s existence.“

(Harold O.J. Brown, Heresies, p. 5)

Dr. Brown wrote as a trinitarian.

The appeal in his book, which I highly recommend to all readers, is to Church History.

Anyone who thinks, or might be tempted to think, that Dr. Brown was unfamiliar with the writings of the early Church Fathers is deceiving himself or herself.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
”1. The one God. (a) theos is the most frequent designation of God in the NT. Belief in the one, only and unique God (Matt. 23:9; Rom. 3:30; 1 Cor. 8:4,6; Gal. 3:20; 1 Tim. 2:5; Jas. 2:19) is an established part of Christian tradition. Jesus himself made the fundamental confession of Jud. his own and expressly quoted the Shema (Deut. 6:4-5; see Mk. 12:29-30; cf. Matt. 22:37; Lk. 10:27). This guaranteed continuity between the old and the new covenants. The God whom Christians worship is the God of the fathers (Acts 3:13; 5:30; 22:14), the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (Acts 3:13; 7:32; cf. Matt. 22:32; Mk. 12:26; Lk. 20:37), the God of Israel (Matt. 15:31; Lk. 1:68; Acts 13:17), and the God of Jesus Christ (2 Cor. 1:3; Eph. 1:3; 1Pet. 1:3).”

(New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, Abridged Edition, p. 244)

Underscoring is mine. Jewish monotheism / unitarianism is scripture’s.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
”[The NT writers] give us no formal or formulated doctrine of the Trinity, no explicit teaching that in one God there are three co-equal divine persons. But they do give us an elemental trinitarianism, the data from which such a formal doctrine of the Triune God may be formulated.”

(Edmund J. Fortman, The Triune God, p. xvi)

”Elemental trinitarianism” isn’t the doctrine of the Trinity.

Fortman isn’t denying the validity of the doctrine of the Trinity; he’s acknowledging that the Church formulated the doctrine, over a period of several centuries - recall Dr. Brown’s concession (post #18) - from various statements made by the NT writers. (See post #17 where this piecemeal concept was suggested.)

The doctrine of the Trinity was developed by Church theologians, who rejected Jewish monotheism, long after the biblical authors were all dead and buried.

Status
Not open for further replies.